Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,400 comments
Long time GT player here. I skipped the last game because it just didn't appeal to me. I moved over to XBoxOne and played all the Forza games. However, I still fire up my old GT games on the PS2 and PS3 when I get the urge. Now It seems PD have made the decision to make my next console a PS5 for me, because how can I skip a proper GT game?

PlayStation 5: exclusive games 'more important than ever', says Sony (Simon Rutter, PlayStation’s EVP for Europe)

“Gran Turismo 7 is going to benefit from almost every single technological enhancement that we have in PlayStation 5,” says Rutter. “The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past. Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle.”

:drool::drool::drool:

PlayStation 5: exclusive games 'more important than ever', says Sony (Simon Rutter, PlayStation’s EVP for Europe)

“Gran Turismo 7 is going to benefit from almost every single technological enhancement that we have in PlayStation 5,” says Rutter. “The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past. Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle.”

I'd treat this with cautious optimism. Back in the day Polyphony said we'd have damage in GT2, and car interiors in GT3. Although I've always felt this was PD over-estimating what they could achieve, as opposed to them flat-out lying, they could still do so again. After all their track record when it comes to sound, is far from perfect. And I've yet to come across any game that can properly simulate driving, through a controller. But you never know.

I'd treat this with cautious optimism. Back in the day Polyphony said we'd have damage in GT2, and car interiors in GT3. Although I've always felt this was PD over-estimating what they could achieve, as opposed to them flat-out lying, they could still do so again. After all their track record when it comes to sound, is far from perfect. And I've yet to come across any game that can properly simulate driving, through a controller. But you never know.
I don't see why this shouldn't be true.

I don't see why this shouldn't be true.

Technically speaking, there's no reason why the sound shouldn't be improved. But that has been the case for several console generations now - yet PD have yet to step their sound game up much. Regarding my other poin't however - about not delivering a proper 'true to life' driving feel on controllers - that's really not Polyphony's fault. It's a very tough nut to crack. Like I said before, I've yet to come across any game that pulls it off.

I get the feeling that Kaz was forced to make a traditional GT game for this generation. We all know that he likes to take his franchise and venture into new territory with it. So, I’m guessing this is either Shuhei or Hermen Hulst tugging his his strings.

I get the feeling that Kaz was forced to make a traditional GT game for this generation. We all know that he likes to take his franchise and venture into new territory with it. So, I’m guessing this is either Shuhei or Hermen Hulst tugging his his strings.

I'm sure that artistic freedom was GT Sport. It's been a long time coming since a truly great GT has been around so he probably wanted to bring together new and old, to keep what people loved about the series.

Hasn't GT Sport always been just a cleverly disguised prototype for Gran Turismo 7 though? Even towards the end of PS3 days Polyphony was still using PS2 assets in it's games which, when running on a system designed for HD, were an absolute eyesore. There was no way PD was going to make that mistake again, and they certainly weren't going to get a fully fleshed release ready in time for the PS4.

However they also knew that they had to keep the fans happy somehow. And that releasing a game titled "Prologue" would have said fans pestering them for years, about the release date of the full game. So they released GT7 Prologue, but called it GT Sport instead. And had it focus heavily on online racing, and e-sports - negating the need for a not yet ready career mode to be added.

This allowed Polyphony to market GT Sport as a full game on release, and keep their fans happy in turn. Or at least, happier than they would have been with a Prologue, or no game at all. Meanwhile, PD worked (and still are working) behind the scenes, with the pressure now off somewhat, developing GT Sport, into Gran Turismo 7. Slowly, but surely. At least, that is my theory. I could of course be talking nonsense.

I'm sure that artistic freedom was GT Sport. It's been a long time coming since a truly great GT has been around so he probably wanted to bring together new and old, to keep what people loved about the series.

IIRC Kaz intended on expanding on GT Sport further but after attending a few World Tour events and noticing how many people go back to older games in the series for the career and stuff like that (GT3, GT4), he had a rethink

This is not Polyphony. This is Sony talking. We already know the Dualsense has haptic feedback via voice coil actuators and adaptive triggers.
In fact the EDGE article already said how the journalist felt the difference between tarmac and gravel on the controller.

This is essentially force feedback on a controller. How close it is to a wheel remains to be seen but its great for GT fans. Controller users can finally be smoother in their pedal movements and feel traction like wheel users.

This is not Polyphony. This is Sony talking. We already know the Dualsense has haptic feedback via voice coil actuators and adaptive triggers.
In fact the EDGE article already said how the journalist felt the difference between tarmac and gravel on the controller.

This is essentially force feedback on a controller. How close it is to a wheel remains to be seen but its great for GT fans. Controller users can finally be smoother in their pedal movements and feel traction like wheel users.
For me, this is one of the most exciting new features.

This is not Polyphony. This is Sony talking.

Going off that video, PD themselves definitely did say those things. It's also perfectly possible however, that Sony put pressure on them.

We already know the Dualsense has haptic feedback via voice coil actuators and adaptive triggers. In fact the EDGE article already said how the journalist felt the difference between tarmac and gravel on the controller.

The same can be said for Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2 though. I should know, I was playing it earlier. There's always been a noticeable difference between tarmac, gravel, and other surfaces on the game. My point was that no game has yet managed to succesfully emulate the feeling of real driving on a controller - and not previous GT titles lacking difference in feel between surfaces.

Sounds amazing, if they can pull it off. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. 👍

GUYS! What happen to the monkey who lived at Trial Mountain? :(

Or maybe the monkey turned into a ghost and will haunt the raceway. Bad wrecks are caused by ghost monkey!
Good guess, mate. PD rendered me IRL using its latest GT engine. :eek:

Now I'm stuck in the forum. I miss the Trial Mountain days, gazing at the lake on the lookout for Nessie. :rolleyes:

Long time GT player here. I skipped the last game because it just didn't appeal to me. I moved over to XBoxOne and played all the Forza games. However, I still fire up my old GT games on the PS2 and PS3 when I get the urge. Now It seems PD have made the decision to make my next console a PS5 for me, because how can I skip a proper GT game?
Same here, mate, except that I didn't switch anything. Just waited it out, right through GTS, knowing that PD would have to continue the GT saga and reap the rewards from the historic fan base.

I cannot articulate how excited I am.

Horizon 2 is confirmed for 2021. I’m thinking around Spring to early summer.

Makes me think GT7, R&C, Demon Souls & Returnal are launch window. Miles Morales of course confirmed for Holiday 2020.

Horizon 2 is confirmed for 2021. I’m thinking around Spring to early summer.

Makes me think GT7, R&C, Demon Souls & Returnal are launch window. Miles Morales of course confirmed for Holiday 2020.

Guerilla Games give more informations about Horizon 2. I hope, PoDi will share us some news about GT7 in next days/weeks :)

Back