Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,471 comments
What are your expectations in the upcoming reveal? Do you guys hope to be blown away by GT7 or just expect it to be an upgraded version of GTSport in terms of visuals?

I honestly believe that GT7 will impress us, both graphically (I mean of course it will) and content-wise. I'm really really curious and hyped to see how this "past-present-future" Gran Turismo will come up.

Not sure I understand you, but this is what I wish:

GT1 + GT2 + GT3 + GT4 + GT5 + GT6 + GTS + PS5 = GT7

So let's see...
  • GT1= Special Stage Route 11 (unfortunately this is the only thing I can say other than this game being the one started it all)
  • GT2 = Racing modifications, obscure unique and memorable cars (ex: Espace F1), manufacturer events, race events divided into certain hp level.
  • GT3 = Fast menu navigations, AI, soundtrack, racing focus, impact for the series.
  • GT4 = Most elaborate GT Mode, most amount of same quality cars, most tuning options, Photo Mode, Driving Missions.
  • GT5 = NASCAR/Rally's car damage, GT Academy, most garage limit, Online Collectors dealership, Seasonal events.
  • GT6 = Most amount of cars, most amount of tracks, varied modification for cars (compared to other GTs), track editor, special events, dynamic weather & time.
  • GTS = FIA, online and Sport Mode stuff, livery editor, graphics, most realistic physics, car sounds.

Didn't Kaz mentioned before that the next GT will be a combination of past, present, and future?
Past = classic GT mode, tracks, and obscure normal cars
Present = Sport mode
Future = probably new features and game modes that haven't been implemented in previous GTs
What I really hope is apart from obscure normal cars they go back into old GT's way of tuning!!

Last edited:
If the next GT goes back to the classic formula, then the work done in Sport will just be null and void. There was potential in GTS to actually have a focused direction and get the gameplay elements tightened up.

The classic formula is stale, out-dated and needs to be put out to pasture for good. Staying with the old formula because "muh nostalgia" is a waste of time. Competition from other sims is still strong and radical definitive change is needed for GT to continue competing.

Reject tradition, embrace modernity
Out-dated? There was nothing wrong with the original formula. Do you know how long we've been waiting for a proper GT game? GT Sport had a lot of upsides but I've found myself going back to GT4 and GT5 in the meantime because they are more engaging. It's only then that you realise what a horrible misstep GT Sport was for the series. Having a game dedicated to eSports as a main title, void of all the career mode features we know and love from GT at launch shouldn't have happened. The eSports element shouldn't have been front and centre; it should've been more of an afterthought - not the other way around. GT League was an afterthought that was haphazardly put together without much consideration or effort. They just slapped it all together and said "Enjoy!". But we didn't enjoy it; instead we loathed it and thought it was horrible. It's clear to me that the traditional career format is the better choice, no matter how old it may be. If there's still a demand for it, why should the pleas be ignored?

What are your expectations in the upcoming reveal? Do you guys hope to be blown away by GT7 or just expect it to be an upgraded version of GTSport in terms of visuals?

I hope is that it will NOT be only an upgraded version of GTS alone...

So let's see...
  • GT1= Special Stage Route 11 (unfortunately this is the only thing I can say other than this game being the one started it all)
  • GT2 = Racing modifications, obscure unique and memorable cars (ex: Espace F1), manufacturer events, race events divided into certain hp level.
  • GT3 = Fast menu navigations, AI, soundtrack, racing focus, impact for the series.
  • GT4 = Most elaborate GT Mode, most amount of same quality cars, most tuning options, Photo Mode, Driving Missions.
  • GT5 = NASCAR/Rally's car damage, GT Academy, most garage limit, Online Collectors dealership, Seasonal events.
  • GT6 = Most amount of cars, most amount of tracks, varied modification for cars (compared to other GTs), track editor, special events.
  • GTS = Online and Sport Mode stuff, livery editor, graphics, most realistic physics, car sounds.

What I really hope is apart from obscure normal cars they go back into old GT's way of tuning!!

you forgot dynamic time and weather for GT6

So let's see...
  • GT6 = Most amount of cars, most amount of tracks, varied modification for cars (compared to other GTs), track editor, special events, dynamic weather & time.
  • GTS = FIA, online and Sport Mode stuff, livery editor, graphics, most realistic physics, car sounds.

*cries in shuffle racing*

They revealed GTSport 2 years before its release. If GT7 is 2021 then this is the perfect time for them to start hyping their game.
Past reveals don’t really tell us much.

Sony will announce multiple PS5 launch exclusives a matter of months before the systems launched. The timeline is right for the next Gran Turismo. Although it’s 50/50 whether it will launch this year or next.

The next GT is more akin to an in-gen sequel in terms of the game engine and technology used. We’ll not be seeing resources ‘wasted’ building engines and content from the ground up.

It’s quite a unique position for PD to be in. After battling technology limitations to deliver their vision. They have an abundance of resources to deliver a driving title.

Past reveals don’t really tell us much.

Sony will announce multiple PS5 launch exclusives a matter of months before the systems launched. The timeline is right for the next Gran Turismo. Although it’s 50/50 whether it will launch this year or next.

The next GT is more akin to an in-gen sequel in terms of the game engine and technology used. We’ll not be seeing resources ‘wasted’ building engines and content from the ground up.

It’s quite a unique position for PD to be in. After battling technology limitations to deliver their vision. They have an abundance of resources to deliver a driving title.
.... I think we're going to hear, "Unprecedented features never seen before.
For the first time ever, in GT7,... X, Y & Z features!".

*grumbling from players about a feature missing that was in past GT games*

-answer from PD: "Well you see... with this new PS5 processor, we were limited in what we wanted to achieve with that feature in GT7..."

*crickets*

I hope they announce GT7 and not just the enhanced version of GTS, it would be a disappointment
Knowing PD, I don't think we will get a full GT7, at least not yet. Probably like you said, some kind of PS5 version of GTS, maybe GT7 Prologue of some kind will come. I could be wrong though.

They revealed GTSport 2 years before its release. If GT7 is 2021 then this is the perfect time for them to start hyping their game.
And don't forget that GT5 was announced in 2007. Anyway... I still believe that GT HD was GT5, there are lots of people saying it was an entirely different project, i disagree with that. The same for GT 2000, that's just the alpha version of GT3.

Out-dated? There was nothing wrong with the original formula. Do you know how long we've been waiting for a proper GT game? GT Sport had a lot of upsides but I've found myself going back to GT4 and GT5 in the meantime because they are more engaging. It's only then that you realise what a horrible misstep GT Sport was for the series. Having a game dedicated to eSports as a main title, void of all the career mode features we know and love from GT at launch shouldn't have happened. The eSports element shouldn't have been front and centre; it should've been more of an afterthought - not the other way around. GT League was an afterthought that was haphazardly put together without much consideration or effort. They just slapped it all together and said "Enjoy!". But we didn't enjoy it; instead we loathed it and thought it was horrible. It's clear to me that the traditional career format is the better choice, no matter how old it may be. If there's still a demand for it, why should the pleas be ignored?

The failure of GT6 (and GT5 to a certain extent) is a testament to how outdated the model is for "classic" GT games. I say this as a big fan of the GT series, the fact that none of current mainstream racing games are coming out with these big elaborate "career" modes is also a telling sign that the racing genre has shifted away this career-focused model. I would welcome career-focused games if AI was significantly improved to act more like humans (ei, making mistakes, taking dynamic lines and overtaking/defending at the appropriate times), however these improvements have never come about (in all sims, not just GT), probably due to the elevated resources it would take to program such a capable AI.

It's not a coincidence that GT Sport has existed to begin with (concentrating on online and tacking-on career mode as an afterthought), Kaz and PD definitely saw where the trend was going at the time GT Sport was being developed. Surely they have internal data that shows that 95% of people quit playing the career mode a couple weeks after getting the game, and that 95% of the content they create via cars, are not utilized by the player-base. With the introduction of the Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr. 2 and Gr.1 categories, they were able to make less cars but surely the content they were making was being utilized at a much higher rate than previous GT titles. These longer development times of 5 years to develop a game (like previous GT titles) are unacceptable in the current gaming landscape, things change so fast nowadays that 2 years and your games becomes obsolete and people move onto something else.

IMO the next GT game will feature the past (career mode similar to GT Sport), the present (online racing in GT Sport), and the future (improved physics engine, tire/collision model, larger races, FIA, etc.).

After being introduced recently to iRacing and playing it over the last couple weeks, I realized how big of a money-grab that game is (and poorly developed considering all of the parallel programs you need to run to get the same features as GT Sport), and how good of value GT Sport is to provide competitive online racing (with Daily and FIA races, a more "approachable" version of iRacing). The next GT7 game is very well positioned to disrupt iRacing IMO, and they've made great strides to try to emulating it in their first attempt on a console with GT Sport (obviously there's room for improvement but the game was solid for its first iteration). If GT7 can continue to concentrate on online racing, and improve the physics engine and improve the tire/collision model, add dynamic times of day and evolving track conditions, multi-class endurance races, etc., it really can reign supreme over other sims.

Last edited:
.... I think we're going to hear, "Unprecedented features never seen before.
For the first time ever, in GT7,... X, Y & Z features!".

*grumbling from players about a feature missing that was in past GT games*

-answer from PD: "Well you see... with this new PS5 processor, we were limited in what we wanted to achieve with that feature in GT7..."

*crickets*

A movie already watched.... :rolleyes:

IR

I have a wild divination about this: what if both? 8k version of GTS via backwards compatibility and a brand new announcement trailer of GT7.

The failure of GT6 (and GT5 to a certain extent) is a testament to how outdated the model is for "classic" GT games. I say this as a big fan of the GT series, the fact that none of current mainstream racing games are coming out with these big elaborate "career" modes is also a telling sign that the racing genre has shifted away this career-focused model. I would welcome career-focused games if AI was significantly improved to act more like humans (ei, making mistakes, taking dynamic lines and overtaking/defending at the appropriate times), however these improvements have never come about (in all sims, not just GT), probably due to the elevated resources it would take to program such a capable AI.

IMO the next GT game will feature the past (career mode similar to GT Sport), the present (online racing in GT Sport), and the future (improved physics engine, tire/collision model, larger races, FIA, etc.).

After being introduced recently to iRacing and playing it over the last couple weeks, I realized how big of a money-grab that game is (and poorly developed considering all of the parallel programs you need to run to get the same features as GT Sport), and how good of value GT Sport is to provide competitive online racing (with Daily and FIA races, a more "approachable" version of iRacing). The next GT7 game is very well positioned to disrupt iRacing IMO, and they've made great strides to try to emulating it in their first attempt on a console with GT Sport (obviously there's room for improvement but the game was solid for its first iteration). If GT7 can continue to concentrate on online racing, and improve the physics engine and improve the tire/collision model, add dynamic times of day and evolving track conditions, multi-class endurance races, etc., it really can reign supreme over other sims.
And you sure the failures come strictly from the career? There's standard-premium cars, vacuum cleaner sounds, tedious grinding, cannot sell expensive cars, endurance races giving you relatively small amounts of money for their length, a poorly implemented paint system, segregated A-Spec and B-Spec modes, no fast forward for B-Spec, a weak track generator, a 20 million credit limit, among other things. GT6 didn't address most of those issues and have features added on slow timely basis (PS3 hell). I mean if you don't like the career just completely ignore them. And even for GT6 the criticism is about how the career in GT6 is not elaborate enough.

I'm really hoping we see it. The fact @Jordan or amar aren't hinting at anything is giving me doubts, though.
giphy.gif

A CAD has recently been leaked. Following my source, it looks like it belongs to GT7. What are your thoughts people?
images

Back