Gran Turismo 7 Livery Editor - General Discussion Thread

Speaking of decals...

Anyone know why I'm getting these big black circles on this decal I made? The original doesn't show these at all.

Attachments

• 187399d5cb715-b161BC88273914BA1A5.5813BD5398E5A252_message_430156463285130_1680298684707.jpg
    187399d5cb715-b161BC88273914BA1A5.5813BD5398E5A252_message_430156463285130_1680298684707.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 14
Weird. I completed the livery below.
2505065C-1AAB-43B7-9EC5-364A280FDAA3.jpeg

Assigned it as a AI car. Completed a race and watched the replay. Noticed no banner decals.
20970158316585742.jpg

I did the livery in one sitting and haven’t driven it myself. Weird.

Edit: Same race, at the start. The banner decals can be seen on the 458/X-Bow. Weird.
20969940784844007.jpg

Last edited:
When I uploaded my Sierra livery, I locked the style because I didn't want people to desecrate on or take advantage of my work.

Take advantage of your work, how?
Short of someone hypothetically posting a picture claiming they made the livery when it's clearly not present in their gallery, there's literally nothing anyone can do, so how would they be able to take advantage of your work?

It's OK for someone to use a livery that you've made, but what isn't OK is letting them work on it. If you've wasted hours in the livery editor you want to make sure that your work is protected, not taken advantage of by those who are too lazy to make the livery themselves.

Last edited:
It's OK for someone to use a livery that you've made, but what isn't OK is letting them work on it. If you've wasted hours in the livery editor you want to make sure that your work is protected, not taken advantage of by those who are too lazy to make the livery themselves.
It's still my work and I still get all the credits because people can't do anything with other people's livery except for adjusting it and for using it themselves.

Which they also can with locked liveries btw.

You're still not making a valid point because even if they would modify it for themselves they can never share that modified livery.
Yes, if they would use it in online races people will see ''your'' livery with modifications but even if they would like his version better, there's no way to getting it.

As @05XR8 says, you are robbing people of the chance to use their own favourite number, replace some stickers with other stickers, change the colours to their own favourite colours,...

Your work will always remain the one and only base for modifications.
That's something I would be even more proud of, knowing your created livery was the base for x amount of variations driving around in the world of GT.

For me, I will never ever use a locked livery just because of the facts stated above, yeah you may have done an amazing job, but maybe I want that one line red pinstripe to be green, or whatever

As @05XR8 says, you are robbing people of the chance to use their own favourite number, replace some stickers with other stickers, change the colours to their own favourite colours
You're not really robbing them of anything. You're the one giving them the opportunity to use it, without having put any effort in, in the first place. Players are getting to use thousands (millions?) of liveries, for free, with zero effort. Livery creators get nothing back for that, so personally if they've decided to put the effort in to something, and decided that's how it should look, and they don't want people changing it, then that's fair enough as far as I'm concerned - it's theirs, they put the time in, they get to have that say. They may be fine with making editable, they may not, it may make sense, it may not, but they made it, other players (especially other livery creators) should understand wanting to have a sense of agency over something they made.

For me, I will never ever use a locked livery just because of the facts stated above, yeah you may have done an amazing job, but maybe I want that one line red pinstripe to be green, or whatever
Things is, since there's literally no actual benefit to people having used your livery, this way of thinking doesn't actually offer an incentive to people to make their liveries editable. If there was an economy around livery sharing that might be different, or if creators even got to see who'd used the livery, but as it is the livery creator isn't losing anything if you never use it, they're not gaining anything if you do. Whether or not you're loosing anything depends on how much you liked the livery as it was.

Just my two cents.

There is no gaining and loosing anything in making liveries at all? I don't think that's what's painting cars is about anyway.

There is no gaining and loosing anything in making liveries at all? I don't think that's what's painting cars is about anyway.
It can be about what ever you want it to be. I am certain there are people on GT selling custom liveries. I know there where on GTS.

Each their own. If I don't want to risk people "molesting" my shared liveries, I shouldn't share them. Yeah, you can lock them, but that would take away the opportunity for serious users to adjust something you overlooked, or, in case of a specific team/driver combo, they can change it to their favorite.
For example, if you replicated an FW14B with Mansell decals on it and they'd rather have Patrese on it, they can change just that and not redo the whole thing themselves, without molesting it.

Helmets and race suits are locked by default and in a few cases really pissed me off. Imported a few of my own, but not being able to adjust the visor banner forced me to redo the whole thing. And in one case, when I picked up another users helmet, which was well made, but had the wrong shade of red, I had to do my own too and bother other people to help out on a decal I can't make myself.

I'll never know if anyone ever used my liveries. I don't race against other players and if I would, and spot a livery looking like one of mine, it could be their own creation too. There's no signature on them.
Maybe, if certain decals could be locked for removing or getting covered, you could put something on to recognise yours. But that ain't happening.

Latest Posts

Back