Gran Turismo 7 Promo Video Teases Melbourne's Albert Park F1 Circuit [UPDATE]

• Thread starter Famine
  • 119 comments
It's never been in Gran Turismo. Cote d'Azur was, very specifically, not Circuit de Monaco, for very good reasons.

In addition to that, if you read back in this thread to my comments earlier about how fiercely protective the government of Monaco is about image rights - to the point of even needing a permit to take photographs as a tourist - you'll see that it's actually one of the least likely circuits to ever appear.

As far as the layout goes though it's Gran Turismo's version of Monaco for those reasons you mentioned.

As far as the layout goes though it's Gran Turismo's version of Monaco for those reasons you mentioned.
Which, as previously and repeatedly stated, is not Monaco.

Which, as previously and repeatedly stated, is not Monaco.
It's more than good enough for me. I'm sure PD can spend their money elsewhere more wisely than officially licensing a track they already have a suitable copy of.

It's more than good enough for me.
Sure, but we've established that what's actually true and what's good enough for you are not the same thing several times in this forum now.

The track in GT3/4/5/6 is Cote d'Azur. It is not Monaco, or Circuit de Monaco. Thus Monaco has never been in Gran Turismo to "come back" to it, and the fact that Monaco is so fiercely protective of its image rights makes the presence of a Monaco circuit in GT7 considerably less likely than pretty much any other circuit in the world and not a "very strong chance" as you suggest.

Of all the "original" tracks in previous GT games absent from GT Sport but returning to GT7, none debuted in GT3. We have Trial Mountain (GT1), High Speed Ring (GT1), and Deep Forest (GT1), with rumours of - due to the line traces in the Behind the Scenes videos - Apricot Hill (GT2). If any other "original" tracks have a "strong chance", it's Grand Valley, Autumn Ring, and Midfield.

Cote d'Azur is probably the least likely because all that Monaco would have to do to assert its image rights and make a legal claim against Sony is point out that enough people think Cote d'Azur is Monaco, which would mean it's a facsimile intended to deceive and defraud Monaco's intellectual property.

In the face of that, Sony is considerably less likely to want to take the chance for the sake of having a fake (and not very good for racing) circuit in its game. And the fact Cote d'Azur was in GT for 16 years will likely not be a good position from which Sony can bargain to have the real one. And considering GT holds its live finals in Monaco itself, it's a very tricky relationship.

Ironically then, you would be evidence of this and therefore your own "good enough for me" nonsense would actually work against the "strong chance" you're positing.

Awks.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I cannot think of ANY games without the F1 license that specifically have some form of Monaco or "Circuit De Monaco". The closest most recent unlicensed rendition that springs to mind is Azur Circuit in PCARS 2 but that's about it.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I cannot think of ANY games without the F1 license that specifically have some form of Monaco or "Circuit De Monaco". The closest most recent unlicensed rendition that springs to mind is Azur Circuit in PCARS 2 but that's about it.
I suspect part of the reason is that it's just not a very good racing track.

There's a whole lot of history and spectacle that goes along with it in the real world but that doesn't really come out in a racing game very well. It's sort of interesting as a time trial, but as far as racing it's either frustrating because you're stuck behind people or frustrating because you get punted into the wall. Or frustrating because you outbraked yourself into a wall. It's way, way down on the list of circuits that promote good, fun gameplay, and so I doubt many devs would want to have it in their game over any of the other historically noteworthy circuits that are available.

Similar to the that British park circuit in PC2. Cadwell? Caldwell? How on earth would that work in Sport Mode? :lol: Bonkers versus the AI.

Similar to the that British park circuit in PC2. Cadwell? Caldwell? How on earth would that work in Sport Mode? :lol: Bonkers versus the AI.
Cadwell is the one you are thinking of, and its a great track (big caveat coming) for the right type of car.

However the real lunacy of Cadwell is that it's first and foremost a motorcycle circuit.

Fun facts: it's nicknamed - the 'Mini-Nurburgring' and some of the scenes for Rush were filmed on it.

Last edited:
I think Pcars 3 has the Azure Circuit as well

Cadwell is the one you are thinking of, and its a great track (big caveat coming) for the right type of car.

However the real lunacy of Cadwell is that it's first and foremost a motorcycle circuit.

Fun facts: it's nicknamed - the 'Mini-Nurburgring' and some of the scenes for Rush were filmed on it.

Yep. That’s why it’s crazy. I know I’ve only used it a few times. Lydden Hill is the other one. I’m driving on that this second. It’s like an even smaller Brands Hatch.

Yep. That’s why it’s crazy. I know I’ve only used it a few times. Lydden Hill is the other one. I’m driving on that this second. It’s like an even smaller Brands Hatch.
That PCars 3 still included it after the dropped RX is one of the weirder things about what remains an odd title, as it's principally a Rallycross circuit, with only a small number of local clubs and track days using the tarmac only layout. However inclusion of tracks like that, odd but great, is still one of the PC and AMS series strengths.

R: Racing Evolution does have the Monaco track with the "Circuit de Monaco" name and even the Monaco GP logos somehow:

R: Racing Evolution does have the Monaco track with the "Circuit de Monaco" name and even the Monaco GP logos somehow:

Because they licensed it from the ACM

IMG_20220121_131008.jpg

Cote d'Azur is probably the least likely because all that Monaco would have to do to assert its image rights and make a legal claim against Sony is point out that enough people think Cote d'Azur is Monaco, which would mean it's a facsimile intended to deceive and defraud Monaco's intellectual property.
Does this policy from the goverment of Monaco changed in the last years? I mean, you could see (as mentioned) a lot of Monaco, Circuit de Monaco or Cote d'Azur (call as you want) tracks with very similiar track layouts and enviroments. Besides...if this is the case, they are stupid as hell! Why would you not want to have millions of people around the world to see and experience YOUR city in a high-class game. We are not talking about a shooter, GTA-like or something else "controversy" game, but a nice racing game.
(and not very good for racing) circuit in its game.
It's sort of interesting as a time trial, but as far as racing it's either frustrating because you're stuck behind people or frustrating because you get punted into the wall. Or frustrating because you outbraked yourself into a wall.
I totally dis-agree with you both! Monaco, ahhh sorry :D Cote d'Azur was always a super fan track, not just for time trials, but also for racing. Sure... you had some "enemy-contacts" :D but, as scratches nobody in a racing game bothers, it was super fun to race there.
Ironically then, you would be evidence of this and therefore your own "good enough for me" nonsense would actually work against the "strong chance" you're positing.
The track in GT3/4/5/6 is Cote d'Azur. It is not Monaco, or Circuit de Monaco.
?? What are you afraid of? Your a bit aggresive to convince us about the not obvious, that Cote d'Azur is not Monaco, but for 99% of the layout as well for the players it was Monaco. Are you afraid, that the goverment of Monaco is sueing gtplanet? :D

What are you afraid of?
What?
Are you afraid, that the goverment of Monaco is sueing gtplanet? :D
What? How would that even be a thing?
Your a bit aggresive to convince us about the not obvious, that Cote d'Azur is not Monaco
No, I'm having to repeatedly state the same thing (apparently in a variety of ways, and having to simplify them) to someone who won't accept it and thinks his feelings have any relevance to the situation.

@Famine It's amazing how many times we have to explain basic business, marketing, commercial and/or rights stuff to some of the people on here... who'll then still disagree and insist that their speculation is fact.

@Famine It's amazing how many times we have to explain basic business, marketing, commercial and/or rights stuff to some of the people on here... who'll then still disagree and insist that their speculation is fact.
You can tell who's existed in the real world and who is still very much a kid based on all of this stuff.

It's amazing how many times we have to explain basic business, marketing, commercial and/or rights stuff to some of the people on here... who'll then still disagree and insist that their speculation is fact.
Ok... this is a bit off-top, but I am curious, why a it is a smart move to NOT allow (or even try to offically licensing) PD/Sony to have the Monaco circuit in an AAA-title as GT7? Product awareness and marketing reach is something you might want to achieve, from the perspektive of the Moncaco-goverment, isn't it? Even if this not directly produce sales volume. But what do I know... I just studied business administration and sales control :D

Its ok... it's really not worth arguing about. We agree to disagree :D
You're "disagreeing" (or let's be honest, trolling) someone who actually works professional around things of that nature...

Also, "Business Administration and Sales Control" has absolutely nothing to do with this, that's like saying "Supermarket Cashier" is the same thing as "Sponsorship Sales".

Last edited:
Nothing new I think, iirc there was some copyright issues also with GT5 and the city of Siena which claims rights to Piazza del Campo used as kart track.

It'd be funny if GT7 was the first ever game to have two Australian race tracks and no Australian cars, but I'm inclined to ignore the poster. Still, interesting idea, wouldn't be my first pick for a real-world circuit, maybe... forty-first?
Dying to get a few Aussie cars in the game btw. Really would like to see some Holden V8 sedans and utes get a proper tribute

Listen, stuff has gotten weird since GT7 released. Rumours of engine swaps and then their not and now they are and track counts not right and missing and now they’re found and now with the Hagerty thing. This Albert Park thing could still be a possibility even with the update being said it was just for the show.

So, I start with my first Scape for the menu book. It’s probably the same for all players, but it’s on The Great Ocean Road. Finally get Australian locations after missing those locations in Sport. Anyway, these particular scapes are of the Melbourne CBD. If personnel were there to snap those photos( I mean, at any time, PD staff could have gathered track info since the franchise began), who is to say they didn’t capture the circuit to get ready for this game?

Content some of thought wouldn’t happen, is happening. We’ll see.

Back