Gran Turismo 7 Promo Video Teases Melbourne's Albert Park F1 Circuit [UPDATE]

• Thread starter Famine
  • 119 comments
F1 circuits are in plenty of other games including GT, why would the street circuits be any different? F1 holds no rights over them. Monaco wasn't licensed in past games because they didn't do a deal with the owners of the track to use the name, nothing to do with F1.
Depends. Some circuits FOM own the rights to the layout. Others are fully owned by the circuit operating company, some, especially city courses, are co-owned by multiple entities. Business is business

So this leaves three possible new circuits for GT7. Sure hope all three of them (Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen and Albert Park) get confirmed at launch.
not seen the rumour for Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen, but heard a rumour along time back that they have been sat on completed Silverstone since Spa was released.

There's the something new I've learned today. It doesn't surprise me that of all places Monaco is a bit different.

Formula 1 don't own the tracks themwselves, but they do own the licenses for the events that they hold at them and they typically do have the control to license the tracks without the track owners agreement.

Where tracks are created on public roads, the roads themselves are usualy owned by a local authority and are public domain. Clearly Monaco is different to the typical example, but to elaborate in general, F1 will hold the rights to the event that uses those roads, in that layout, with things set up in a certain way and the circuit given a certain name. Where you recreate a street circuit to a close enough degree it could be interpreted as mimiking the event you could face licensing issues with F1.

Naming the circuit after the place or not may be something limited to Monaco and not as connected to F1 as I had originally advised as Monaco was the example I had for that. But it's important to note, although F1 don't own the circuits themselves they can license them and they do own the rights to the events they host at those locations and where a street circuit is only ever used in motorsports for a race hosted by F1 during an event F1 hold the license for, you may want to try to differentiate your interpretation of a race event there enough from F1's.
That is the Key "hold rights for the event", Liberty (FOM) as part of the contract with the Promotor will have a clause saying the can use Albert Park Images etc. I suspect there a similar clause with teams, when it comes to cars, and drivers, This is packaged up and sold to for example Codemaster.

The Manufacturers, Track Operators, and Drivers own there own rights, and sell them as they see fit, LH (Gran Turismo) Mercedes W12 (Iracing). The Reason F1 cars and some tracks don`t appear in other games apart from the F1 games. is not down to some exclusive deal, with Codemaster, but probably cost, when it comes to tracks and I suspect when it comes to cars. The Teams do not want people taking HIgh Res scans of there Cars, and are not prepared to share data with Sim Racing Games. The W12 got into Iracing because its secrets are no longer valid with the Regs Changes, and Mercedes I suspect where pretty proud of it.

As much as I want gt7 to be the game we want, i fear the desperate clinging for clues as exhibited by this thread combined with the deafening silence from PD a mere 7 weeks before launch tells me we are getting gtsport 2.0 with some cars, tracks and improved offline racing. Its a real shame, i hope im wrong tho...
That’s how Sony do their marketing. Horizon Forbidden West is coming out in a month and is there much marketing for that game? Hell GT7 has had more marketing videos than Horizon Forbidden West. Compare PS5 vs XSX marketing in 2020. Sony were dead silent compared to Microsoft.

And I guess you are saying GT7 to be GT Sport 2.0 because they look basically the same. Well no **** because you can’t exactly make a pretty damn realistic game even more realistic. We are hitting a ceiling with how good a game can look. GT8 will basically look the same as GT7.

And you are literally forgetting dynamic weather and 24 hour cycles, proper tuning parts, car body modifications, GT Cafe (a proper car collection system), used cars, Brighton Antiques, Drag racing potentially (from the Japanese Phamplet). That is so many things they are adding to the game.

Yearly releases like FIFA, NBA are ones which can be classified as DLCs. Not 2 games releasing 4.5 years apart.

Also it makes sense that Albert Park gets added because the last time there was a World Tour in person, it was in Australia in March 2020 if I am not wrong. It was literally a couple of weeks out from the Australian Grand Prix. They must have been able to laser scan the track during that time just before the lockdowns.

Last edited:
nd you are literally forgetting dynamic weather and 24 hour cycles, proper tuning parts, car body modifications, GT Cafe (a proper car collection system), used cars, Brighton Antiques, Drag racing potentially (from the Japanese Phamplet). That is so many things they are adding to the game.
Things that were in previous games but taken away from the last one. They aren't new.

There's no way they would put this there accidentally. It's literally in the middle of the shot and they know how rabid we are about all the tiny details. This will be a fantastic addition.

There's no way they would put this there accidentally. It's literally in the middle of the shot and they know how rabid we are about all the tiny details. This will be a fantastic addition.
Except the guy in the video is saying it is "fake news" which splashes a lot of cold water on the idea.

Things that were in previous games but taken away from the last one. They aren't new.
At least they are adding them back. And FH4 to FH5 was not a massive difference either. Yet FH5 is considered a really good game and it came out 3 years after FH4 compared to 4.5 years difference between GT Sport and GT7.

At least they are adding them back. And FH4 to FH5 was not a massive difference either. Yet FH5 is considered a really good game and it came out 3 years after FH4 compared to 4.5 years difference between GT Sport and GT7.
Of course it's good that they're adding them back but it's not something to get excited about. You don't get excited when someone borrows £20 and gives it back.

There is no need to bring other games into the discussion, we're talking about GT. Not Forza.

Because a FH4 was also a good game. When you're following a game that was very good you don't need to change a lot to also be very good. Although most people would say changing the entire map in an open world game like that is a pretty serious change - it's like changing the entire track list of a Gran Turismo game. If GT7 released with 90 new tracks that had never been in any racing game before, that would be a massive deal even if they were all fantasy tracks.

GT Sport was not terribly well received at release, and is the lowest rated mainline Gran Turismo game. If Polyphony had just made GT Sport 2, that would have gone down like a ton of bricks. They made big changes after GT6, those big changes didn't captivate the fanbase in the way they hoped and they spent a lot of the updates of GTS adding in more "traditional" content. GT7 needs to be a big change from GTS, because it needs to win back all the people who were disappointed in the lack of single player content in a franchise that built it's name on single player content.

Without being rude, you seem like GTS was your first Gran Turismo. If you'd had twenty years of playing games with used car dealerships and tuning parts you wouldn't think that these features were additions. You'd see them like many of the rest of us do, as restoring features that it was kind of foolish to remove in the first place.

If all GT7 does is get us back to where GT6 was in 2013 but with nicer graphics then that's not something to jump up and down about - GT6 is the next lowest rated mainline Gran Turismo game after GTS. Polyphony needs to step up and deliver something impressive instead of just giving us a mish-mash of their two lowest critically rated games.

Because a FH4 was also a good game. When you're following a game that was very good you don't need to change a lot to also be very good. Although most people would say changing the entire map in an open world game like that is a pretty serious change - it's like changing the entire track list of a Gran Turismo game. If GT7 released with 90 new tracks that had never been in any racing game before, that would be a massive deal even if they were all fantasy tracks.

GT Sport was not terribly well received at release, and is the lowest rated mainline Gran Turismo game. If Polyphony had just made GT Sport 2, that would have gone down like a ton of bricks. They made big changes after GT6, those big changes didn't captivate the fanbase in the way they hoped and they spent a lot of the updates of GTS adding in more "traditional" content. GT7 needs to be a big change from GTS, because it needs to win back all the people who were disappointed in the lack of single player content in a franchise that built it's name on single player content.

Without being rude, you seem like GTS was your first Gran Turismo. If you'd had twenty years of playing games with used car dealerships and tuning parts you wouldn't think that these features were additions. You'd see them like many of the rest of us do, as restoring features that it was kind of foolish to remove in the first place.

If all GT7 does is get us back to where GT6 was in 2013 but with nicer graphics then that's not something to jump up and down about - GT6 is the next lowest rated mainline Gran Turismo game after GTS. Polyphony needs to step up and deliver something impressive instead of just giving us a mish-mash of their two lowest critically rated games.
metascore is some argument but for me in contex of racing games rather weak, I saw gt sport review like gamingbolt when I checked on kudosprime and reviewer spent 2h 44 minutes and make a review while fh5 got plenty 10/10 while on premiere crashed on pc with connected fanatec wheel and generaly has mediocre wheel support which is rather important factor for racing game (not saying its bad game as imo is good just can't see any 10/10 being so similar to fh4 and with many problems)

Leave it to PD to post a video that looks like it has Easter eggs that don’t actually mean anything:lol:

It would have been nice to see a new track added to the game, but this seemed like a pretty random track to add.

That’s how Sony do their marketing. Horizon Forbidden West is coming out in a month and is there much marketing for that game? Hell GT7 has had more marketing videos than Horizon Forbidden West. Compare PS5 vs XSX marketing in 2020. Sony were dead silent compared to Microsoft.

And I guess you are saying GT7 to be GT Sport 2.0 because they look basically the same. Well no **** because you can’t exactly make a pretty damn realistic game even more realistic. We are hitting a ceiling with how good a game can look. GT8 will basically look the same as GT7.

And you are literally forgetting dynamic weather and 24 hour cycles, proper tuning parts, car body modifications, GT Cafe (a proper car collection system), used cars, Brighton Antiques, Drag racing potentially (from the Japanese Phamplet). That is so many things they are adding to the game.

Yearly releases like FIFA, NBA are ones which can be classified as DLCs. Not 2 games releasing 4.5 years apart.

Also it makes sense that Albert Park gets added because the last time there was a World Tour in person, it was in Australia in March 2020 if I am not wrong. It was literally a couple of weeks out from the Australian Grand Prix. They must have been able to laser scan the track during that time just before the lockdowns.
The game has also been criticized precisely for looking realistic, but not conveying this feeling in practice, with a clear disconnection between what is seen on the screen and what is felt on the steering wheel, especially by more experienced players used to simulators, see, there are several layers for immersion, graphics and visual elements are just one of them, another very important are elements of physics, gameplay, IA, audio and so on.

There is always room for improvement, for example, in terms of visual elements, it has already been noticed, not only by me, a lack of physics applied to independent elements inside the cockpit, which are static, causing strangeness, considering current industry standards, boosted by the popularization of VR; and in the physics, audio, IA and gameplay part, there seems to be little or no change either, make no mistake, the audience can be quite demanding, already noting the lack or marginal evolution of the series, not willing to pay for a very recycled content.

What could happen with this title? The same thing that happened with 6, but only time will tell.

So this makes me wonder how far PD is willing to go to improve these other equally important elements to attract more and more simulation fans and dedicate itself to e-esports more and more, betting on this niche or if it will give up on it and focus on being a company to offer a product more suitable for an average public, to which these other elements that you mentioned, are more important, in my opinion, seems to be the last one.

I doubt that the track comes to GT7..
I doubt much more than Sony and PD would arrange such a video with certain elements, if this these elements will not be a part of the game itself! ;) This is the case with the Bugatti Chiron as well with the Aston Martin as also with the Albert Park track (which I am not sooo a fan of. ) I really hope they bring Monaco / Côte d’Azur back!

So if you want to have a track that looks like Monaco with Monaco's buildings called Monaco, it's Monaco you need to do a deal with, not F1.
That makes totally sense and makes Monaco in every sense special.

I doubt much more than Sony and PD would arrange such a video with certain elements, if this these elements will not be a part of the game itself! ;) This is the case with the Bugatti Chiron as well with the Aston Martin as also with the Albert Park track (which I am not sooo a fan of. ) I really hope they bring Monaco / Côte d’Azur back!
PD had nothing to do with this video, it was Sony Spain, and you should probably read the update.

Update: Lucas Ordonez has tweeted to clarify that the item was placed by the local agency creating the set and has no connection to Gran Turismo 7.

Unless Lucas is lying, which he has no reason to, it's not coming to the game.

I dont know why people didn't like GT6...
I played it a alot and i liked it.
It was a race game with no racing in it for solo players. It just turned into a full price pre order time trialling game which it wasn't very good at due to no way to delete individual times.

The last time I pre ordered a GT game or paid anything like full price again. I paid £25 for GTS. Even though it is focused on multi player it is still a better game than GT6.

PD have less than eight weeks to convince me to pre order.

PD had nothing to do with this video, it was Sony Spain, and you should probably read the update.
Then they are totally noobs, not aware of these things?! How in the world did they get their jobs?? OMG... Anyway, I still guess the Chirion will come and Albert Park... there are some real world circuits I would more prefer to see them in GT, e.g. Monaco!!

PS: I loved GT6 especially the super emotional intro!!

Last edited:
Then they are totally noobs, not aware of these things?! How in the world did they get their jobs?? OMG... Anyway, I still guess the Chirion will come and Albert Park... there are some real world circuits I would more prefer to see them in GT, e.g. Monaco!!

PS: I loved GT6 especially the super emotional intro!!
Very strong chance Monaco comes back as DLC.

Compared to any other wishlist track one that has already been in Gran Turismo multiple times is much more likely to make a return.
It's never been in Gran Turismo. Cote d'Azur was, very specifically, not Circuit de Monaco, for very good reasons.

In addition to that, if you read back in this thread to my comments earlier about how fiercely protective the government of Monaco is about image rights - to the point of even needing a permit to take photographs as a tourist - you'll see that it's actually one of the least likely circuits to ever appear.

Back