Gran Turismo 7 Releasing in "First Half of 2021"

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be completely honest, I actually believe there is a chance that PD will still release the game. I also think the game is a lot more complete. PD are full of surprises.

They just made the new Toyota GR Yaris for GT Sport, which is very likely to be in GT7, otherwise it's a waste of resources to create.

I think when GT7 is released, they will still support the game like they did with GT Sport meaning even more cars and new tracks.

They have even been outsourcing for more car modelling globally months ago. Think how many individual modellers they could have outsourced, each to make an individual car in 3 months. And PD even hired more people to help out with race track designing.

Last edited:
Kaz did mention in some interview a while back, where he was asked how they would use the power of the PS5, and he mentioned improved VR support.

I guess Kaz says many things and should be taken with a grain of salt, but I do believe that GT7 will have proper VR support, although we might possibly need to wait a while until Sony releases a next gen VR headset.

But I guess my hopes of being able to use the current PS VR in GT7 might be broken.

To be completely honest, I actually believe there is a chance that PD will still release the game. I also think the game is a lot more complete. PD are full of surprises.

They just made the new Toyota GR Yaris for GT Sport, which is very likely to be in GT7, otherwise it's a waste of resources to create.

I think when GT7 is released, they will still support the game like they did with GT Sport meaning more cars and new tracks. I actually do not see this as a bad thing.

They have even been outsourcing for more car modelling globally months ago. Think how many individual modellers they could have outsourced to make an individual car in 3 months. And PD even hired more people to help out with race track designing.

As long as they haven't hired Herman Tilke, I see this as a complete win!

That article is misquoting very heavily. He was talking about mainstream popularity of VR as a medium still being years away. He also said that Sony is still very interested in pushing VR.
True, but that doesn't mean his comments were not alluding to PSVR2 being a couple of years away at least, afterall he was talking specifically about immersion and the featues of the PS5 that improve that at the time.

That doesn't mean it won't come sooner, but we have nothing to base that off, Sony have not mentioned PSVR2 or whatever they are goingto call it or mentioned VR as a feature of any PS5 games so I tihnk the odds are that it's a while away yet.

Last edited:
True, but that doesn't mean his comments were not alluding to PSVR2 being a couple of years away at least, afterall he was talking specifically about immersion and the featues of the PS5 that improve that at the time.

That doesn't mean it won't come sooner, but we have nothing to base that off, Sony have not mentioned PSVR2 or whatever they are goingto call it or mentioned VR as a feature of any PS5 games so I tihnk the odds are that it's a while away yet.
It's release is not imminent, no. But given their experience now with the original PSVR, they should be able to have a much shorter cycle from announcement to release this time. So it definitely doesn't rule out a release early in the PS5s lifecycle (e.g. late 2021)

Basically all I am saying is that that article is not really of relevance to an eventual PSVR2

Last edited:

I think when GT7 is released, they will still support the game like they did with GT Sport meaning even more cars and new tracks.

They have even been outsourcing for more car modelling globally months ago. Think how many individual modellers they could have outsourced, each to make an individual car in 3 months. And PD even hired more people to help out with race track designing.

This is what I've been hoping for. I really look forward to a massive library of cars and tracks for GT7. Doesn't matter if they come via updates or paid DLC even, as long as it comes back to being a game where you can actually learn about cars you didn't know existed or are not mainstream in other franchises. For example, remember GT2 where you could choose between a 328i or a 318ti. I know they aren't highly desired cars, but you trully got to experience the difference between 2 cars that a lot of people are able to afford. Same goes for Lexus IS300 vs Altezza RS200. And so on...

While I want a massive library of cars and tracks, I also want the quality and detail we've come to know from GTS. If we want both, then we have to lower our expectations. 1000 cars with the detail of GTS, let alone the expected improvement, would be a monumental task.

This is what I've been hoping for. I really look forward to a massive library of cars and tracks for GT7. Doesn't matter if they come via updates or paid DLC even, as long as it comes back to being a game where you can actually learn about cars you didn't know existed or are not mainstream in other franchises. For example, remember GT2 where you could choose between a 328i or a 318ti. I know they aren't highly desired cars, but you trully got to experience the difference between 2 cars that a lot of people are able to afford. Same goes for Lexus IS300 vs Altezza RS200. And so on...
I had always thought that GT2 had a very good range of cars for its time. The only thing I can't stand is duplicated Honda S2000s (NA, J, etc).
While I want a massive library of cars and tracks, I also want the quality and detail we've come to know from GTS. If we want both, then we have to lower our expectations. 1000 cars with the detail of GTS, let alone the expected improvement, would be a monumental task.
Exactly, what many do not realise is that Kaz did state that GT Sport was already running on a PS5 dev kit so GT7 will look like you are playing GT Sport.

Last edited:
GT6 has over 1200 cars, so I don't know why GT7 can't have more than that. I hope they do.

What should be an expected number of cars for GT7 on launch, 500??
Persoanlly I think 500-600 falls within reasonable expectation, GT Sport has 325 cars at the moment I think, so an extra 175-275 above that number. But that's is based on nothing more than personal opinion, napkin maths and assumptions.

When the updates were in full flow we were recieving in the regoin of 100 new cars per year. So Assuming a similar number of cars produced in the last 12 months for GT7 on top of what we already have and the assumption that cars were being developed for GT7 prior to this year I think it's not unreasonable to expect 175 additional cars.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is why can't we have cars from GT4 to GT7 and add more classics to modern cars?
I'm sure they can, but why would they put PS2 assets into a PS5 game? They didn't look great on the PS3.

Just to have a hole list of cars from past, present to future. That's it.
I get that it gives us more content, but I think Polypohny would be foolish to actually do it. It heavilly divided opinion in GT5 and GT6, it would be even more divisive if they were to do it in GT7 as the gulf in quality of the assets would be even greater.

In GT5 and GT6 I fell in the camp of not minding it, some of the cars I enjoyed driving the most were GT4 assets, but I think Polyphony have to move on from doing that and build a library of high quality assets that meet a consistent standard.

I think PD has the technology to do it, they just don't want too.
Yeah, they do have this technology, it's called manual labour. And guess what? These days you need to put even more work hours to model a single car because of the increased quality of graphics.

Last edited:
PD, meeting a scheduled released date????

:lol:

I'm not falling for that one again :lol:

I'll get it when I see it physically on a store... once both the PS5 and game prices drop after 2 or 3 years.

Whenever GT7 releases, 2021 or not, I’m just happy they’re not releasing it on PS4 when PS5 is just coming out. Just like when they released GT6 on PS3 in 2013 as the PS4 just released. Glad they’re not going down that route.

Pretty excited for GT7, can’t wait!

Persoanlly I think 500-600 falls within reasonable expectation, GT Sport has 325 cars at the moment I think, so an extra 175-275 above that number. But that's is based on nothing more than personal opinion, napkin maths and assumptions.

When the updates were in full flow we were recieving in the regoin of 100 new cars per year. So Assuming a similar number of cars produced in the last 12 months for GT7 on top of what we already have and the assumption that cars were being developed for GT7 prior to this year I think it's not unreasonable to expect 175 additional cars.

This is what I'm also thinking about. Somewhere between 500-600 at launch. And I would expect at least 2 years of DLCs at around 80-100 cars per year to be ending the life cycle with at least 800 cars is really the minimum.

Lets take a minute to think how unfinished and what missing features/car/tracks there will be at launch, you know like all other ones from gt5 onwards...

I`m never buying games again when they come out , pretty sick of it now to be honest....

Last edited:
IMHO 500 cars is crazy talk, I'd expect more like 350 at launch. In the old days what was there at launch was it, but nowadays they can add cars (and tracks coming to that) as time goes on.

IMHO 500 cars is crazy talk, I'd expect more like 350 at launch. In the old days what was there at launch was it, but nowadays they can add cars (and tracks coming to that) as time goes on.
I don't see why it's crazy talk, there are already 325 cars in GT Sport, there's is nothing to suggest we won't see all/most of those cars in GT7. The models themselves are high enough detail as it is, there's also no reason to blelieve they don't have those moels at higher LOD's than we see in GT Sport if not.

The biggest reason we won't see a car in GT7 that was in GT Sport is likely to be licensing. If the existing license expired and wasn't renwed then they can't legally include the car regardless of haivng the asset availalbe or not. But 350 cars at launch would only be a marginal number above what we already have in GT Sport.

I think 500 is pretty reasonable to expect. That doesn't mean we will defitnieyl see 500 cars at launch, but I don't see a logical reason time and resource wise that we couldn't.

I don't see why it's crazy talk, there are already 325 cars in GT Sport, there's is nothing to suggest we won't see all/most of those cars in GT7. The models themselves are high enough detail as it is, there's also no reason to blelieve they don't have those moels at higher LOD's than we see in GT Sport if not.

The biggest reason we won't see a car in GT7 that was in GT Sport is likely to be licensing. If the existing license expired and wasn't renwed then they can't legally include the car regardless of haivng the asset availalbe or not. But 350 cars at launch would only be a marginal number above what we already have in GT Sport.

I think 500 is pretty reasonable to expect. That doesn't mean we will defitnieyl see 500 cars at launch, but I don't see a logical reason time and resource wise that we couldn't.

When GT Sport came out IIRC Kaz said he hoped to get to 500 cars, so they got about half way to that ?

There was an article here recently that said PD can make a car model in 3 months due to outsourcing which they've been doing since 2018.
175 cars is 525 man months of work.
Previously it was reckoned that a car took 6 months to model.

So, lets say they've been working on GT7 only stuff since 2018 (they haven't) it would require a team of 22 people doing nothing but modelling cars.

We might get to 500 eventually, but I really don't think we'll see a significant uplift in car numbers at launch, there's been too much work around the single player side, ray tracing etc to just churn out another game with a massive number of cars.

When GT Sport came out IIRC Kaz said he hoped to get to 500 cars, so they got about half way to that ?

There was an article here recently that said PD can make a car model in 3 months due to outsourcing which they've been doing since 2018.
175 cars is 525 man months of work.
Previously it was reckoned that a car took 6 months to model.

So, lets say they've been working on GT7 only stuff since 2018 (they haven't) it would require a team of 22 people doing nothing but modelling cars.

We might get to 500 eventually, but I really don't think we'll see a significant uplift in car numbers at launch, there's been too much work around the single player side, ray tracing etc to just churn out another game with a massive number of cars.
What makes you think they don't have at least 22 people doing nothing but modelling cars? They do have a couple of hundered people working for them and they are outsourcing some work (though we don't know how much).

For reference, PD released approximately 100 cars in a year for GT Sport (which if more content than 22 people at 1 car every 3 months could churn out).

Also it's been about a year since they were releasing regular car packs for GT Sport so assuming they did not hold back any cars for GT7 and everything they modelled was released for GT Sport that means you're looking at at least 100 new cars based on that assumption.

It is all assumptions at this point, but I don't see why you think they could have only modelled 25 new cars for GT7 in the time since focus shifted from GT Sport content to GT7 content. And that's even if you base your numbers on them not doing any car modelling work for GT7 that didn't appear in GT Sport prior to this year.

Last edited:

What if that quote from Kaz, who said "Eventually GTS will have up to 500 cars" actually was referring to GT7??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back