Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
I had the decency to skip all Coffee Breaks! For me, the most boring thing in the whole Gran Turismo universe.
I honestly never cared to do them either. I tried some of them and they just annoyed me.

There was no need to show the awful gameplay part with the MAZDA VGT where the game seemed nearly identical to GTS...
I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what was awful about GTS's visuals or this game's visuals? I honestly thought they looked fine.

-----
For the people worried about the race being 1 lap, I really don't think that'll be how the career mode goes. Based on GT Sport's League mode, the races got fairly long at 10-20 laps for various races. I imagine GT7's career mode will carry similar race lengths.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed an unusual absence of japanese street cars on the trailer? I mean, of course they will be featured in a huge number at the end, but I kinda missed the "GT heroes" on this first trailer.

Yes, clearly right now what is in that trailer is very much like GTS but that doesn't mean the final product will be when it arrives, which based on past experience with PD, is probably two or three years from now.
Nah, I don't think we'll be waiting another 3 years.

Damned if they show an unfinished product, damned if they don't show an unfinished product, damned if they wait forever to show a finished product.
You can't please everyone.

Still early days obviously, there are still a lot of unknowns and and a lot can change in development but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the trailer. Usually PD trailers always blow me away but not this one. Somehow everything feels too familiar, just prettied up a bit. It pretty much looks like GT7 will just be GT Sport with some new cars & tracks, and the map screen from GT4 replacing the traditional UI. The tuning looks pretty much the same, but with higher parts locked behind XP levels (annoying). The globe showing locations of each track is cool (reminds me of Test Drive 5) but not as cool as the dynamic backgrounds in GT3/4 arcade mode.

Things I like:
-Graphics :drool: (aka "The Real Button Admiring Simulator" :lol:)
-917K, 911 GT1 Road Ver and Carrera GT
-More vintage cars
-What looks like dynamic weather with cloud movement
-Main map screen (though I like GT5P/GTS style minimalist UI too)
-Scapes is still there
-Ditto with Sport Mode (crossplay with GTS possible?)
-Mileage points gone (though it still tracks your daily miles for some reason) - hopefully we can just buy MiEx items with good ol' credits now

Things I don't like:
-Not Trial Mountain (more on this in my other thread)
-Tuning parts unnecessarily divided into different classes & fake brands
-Car sounds still the same
-GTS messy HUD still the same
-Driving physics still looks the same from onboard (yes I know no one has played the game, you can still learn a lot from onboards)
-Still nonsensical car choices in a race (old Le Mans vs GT1 vs GT3)
-The character guides on the bottom of the screen (cheesy and totally unnecessary, I hope this can be turned off)
-XP system (if I have enough credits, let me do anything I want PD)
-Having both PP and N class system (just have one or the other, 2 wrongs doesn't make a right)
-Museum in Brand Central is gone (unless it's been replaced by Car Index thing)

Things I want to see +/- still unknown atm:
-Dynamic time of day
-What the higher level tuning options are
-Car settings screen (tyre pressure, boost & ECU tuning, more realistic default values, ballast & weight distribution info returning)
-Gifting cars returning from GT5? Also please let us sell prize cars for credits again
-Full telemetry like in GT6
-Better replay controls (slow mo) and full screen instead of letterboxed
-Body customization
-Better livery search
-Better sport mode stat tracking (so we don't have to rely on kudosprime)
-Better DR/SR/penalty/damage system
-Better in game economy (no more repeating a race hundreds of times just to buy 1 car)
-Whether always online is needed
-Ability to import garage from GTS
-GT Cafe???

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Somehow I feel we're still in the early phases of this game. I wouldn't expect this until late 2021 at the earliest. Plenty of time for improvements. Problem is, I want those new cars in GTS so bad right now :lol:

Last edited:
Wouldn't having PP + N class system be a good thing? Of course every category has its David and Goliath, I just thought it would add another layer of balance for the types of cars allowed in certain races. Assuming it's balanced properly.

The whole idea of N-class and PP ratings at the same time seems to line up with the way Forza approached classes in 7. They had a general performance rating for each car but they were all still classified based on what series they belonged to. So I don't think having GT3 cars with PP ratings and a Group 3 classification will necessarily be a bad thing.

Nah, I don't think we'll be waiting another 3 years.

I wish I could have your confidence, but break it down, what is GT7 so far? What have they shown us?

Mocked up GT4-esque menus and a short bit of gameplay on one track that looks 90% the same as GT Sport. Essentially just a nostalgia grab.

Obviously I know internally that isn't literally all they have right now, nor is it indicative of what they'll eventually release, but it's all they've shown us. I'm not sure why more people don't find that concerning with regards to release date. It's not much more than when studios show games off with a CGI trailer and they've barely started on the game itself which comes 5 years later. I'm sure it's not quite that bad, but I still can't see why they'd only show that if things were further along.

What is the vision for GT7? GT4+GTS in a blender is about all we can guess right now. Even the GTS launch was bigger, they set out what the game was all about, they immediately updated the website with a page full of details, etc.

Wouldn't having PP + N class system be a good thing? Of course every category has its David and Goliath, I just thought it would add another layer of balance for the types of cars allowed in certain races. Assuming it's balanced properly.
I hope only PP system would be used to balance, N Class should be only used as a classification of the cars, not deciding which enters the race, like...
The whole idea of N-class and PP ratings at the same time seems to line up with the way Forza approached classes in 7. They had a general performance rating for each car but they were all still classified based on what series they belonged to. So I don't think having GT3 cars with PP ratings and a Group 3 classification will necessarily be a bad thing.
Yeah Forza here with the D, C, B, A, etc.

Things I don't like:
-Not Trial Mountain (more on this in my other thread)

#NotMyTrialMountain

I actually don't mind it, with one caveat. They put markings on it like it's a public road, but the lanes are ENORMOUS. It makes the cars look like they've been shrunk in the wash. They should have just stuck with it being marked like a dedicated race track.

What is the vision for GT7? GT4+GTS in a blender is about all we can guess right now. Even the GTS launch was bigger, they set out what the game was all about, they immediately updated the website with a page full of details, etc.

For all it's issues, GTS had a clear statement of purpose: online racing. They wanted to take online racing and push it to the next level, at least for console players. That was a clear upgrade from GT5 and 6 where online was just a thing that happened that was largely awful unless you happened to join some sort of league.

As far as I can tell GT7 seems to be back to the school of game design where pretty graphics and lots of content substitutes for an actual curated and designed gameplay experience. There's a lot to be said for allowing player creativity and freeform gameplay, that's why open world games are so popular. But pretty much every good open world game also has some sort of designed experience for the player to work through if they're not the sort for just playing in a sandbox. It's unclear whether Polyphony has learned this, or if GTS was a fluke because Polyphony wanted to get in on the esports craze.

I know right. Love the updated look.
I hope the camera will pan a little to the side when drifting. It didn’t in GT Sport and was so weird looking.
The game looked as good as I hoped. Do you think the car count will get up to over 1,000 like it did in GT6? I hope used cars make a return to the game à well. GT7 was my only reason to get a PS5 at launch.
You mean camera pan like GT3? In GT3 it's quite good, if i may say. I remember immediately the challenge with the Viper on rain. :D

As for the total ammount of cars... well, hard to say. Seems like PD wants to recreate every little detail of every car. This is insane ammout of work. I think it will be high, but still not as high as previous games.

I hope used dealers returns too, and with the special total black edition cars!

Cant tell me that with that amount of computing power they cant get the sounds right. Every other developer can.

Its the one thing that holds the game back.

Anyone expecting change will be dissapointed unfortunately

Sound is not a matter of computing power. It’s like saying “I cannot believe that they can’t get the UI right with all that computing power”.

It's not much more than when studios show games off with a CGI trailer and they've barely started on the game itself which comes 5 years later. I'm sure it's not quite that bad, but I still can't see why they'd only show that if things were further along.
I'm once again going to be honest and say that I don't share the same viewpoint here. They showed very little, but that doesn't always mean they have little done. I also argue that they don't need to show much, at least not now. Maybe my memory is tricking me, but I don't recall early teasers for Gran Turismo 6 or any Xbox One Forza title showing much in gameplay or content right away. They usually save that kind of stuff for later.

The second part to why I don't agree is that well...GT7 is using GT Sport's physics engine plus the same graphics. They already have the base to work off of. Going from GT Sport to GT7 seems to me more like going from GT3 to 4 or GT5 to 6 versus going from GT4 to 5 or 6 to Sport.

---
With that said, I don't predict GT7 being a launch title. Especially not with what's been going on in real life. I'm giving it another year before release, maybe 2 at most.

For all the GT4 vibes.... GT7 still lacks...car logos! :nervous:
gran-turismo-7-ps5-screenshots-4k-27.jpg

So you think ps5 can only achieve to run a game that looks worse than a game that was produced from an indie developement team like Kunos?

Given that Kunos are a week and a half away from releasing ACC on current gen, yet we've seen no gameplay, no screenshots and they haven't even announced what features the console version will have, who knows what sort of mess we'll end up with on current gen. Will they do a next gen update for it ? who knows.

You can criticise GT7 all you like, but to try and make ACC in to thr shining light of race sims is somewhat premature..

I wish I could have your confidence, but break it down, what is GT7 so far? What have they shown us?

Mocked up GT4-esque menus and a short bit of gameplay on one track that looks 90% the same as GT Sport. Essentially just a nostalgia grab.

Which is what half the people on this site have been bitching and moaning about for 4 years. PD are doing what fans want, this was the official confirmation that it exists and isn't some sort of pipedream.

According to Ryan there is plenty more coming on the games front, entirely possible you'll see more detail about all games even before PS5 releases, let alone before GT7 is available.

Patience, greatness awaits (hopefully...)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the gifts could be? Do we think we may get upgrade parts for winning races now as well as cars, can we gift other players stuff?

We really need more tracks and more information about the game. The teaser felt empty.
A few PS5 Game trailers I saw, looked to be the same in length. I don't follow those games, but I'm sure some that do play them, may have wanted to see more.

Back