Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
I do hope they bring back B- Spec racing, Sometimes its just nice to sit back and watch the stunning graphics & earn money just for pressing a few buttons
This is what I did for most of career mode in GT4 when I was young. I could never get comfortable with the weird physics so I preferred to tune up cars and make close racing among the A.I..

If B-Spec were to return, maybe it should only be available for endurance races so you don't just breeze through career mode without any effort at all like you can in GT4 and 6. Every pit stop, you have the option to switch or keep going but if you do use B-Spec, you can only use it once every other pit stop. So you can do (A = you, B = B-spec):

A-A-A-A-A
A-B-A-B-A
B-A-B-A-B

Last edited:
I Think you could do that in GT4. I would also like it. Thats a nobrainer. Also this thing with your online friends :)

Note: you could definitely do that in GT4. I used to drive the 1st stint, overtake everyone (because AI couldnot overtake if the power level was about the same), then pitted and let B-spec driver the rest.

This is what I did for most of career mode in GT4 when I was young. I could never get comfortable with the weird physics so I preferred to tune up cars and make close racing among the A.I..

If B-Spec were to return, maybe it should only be available for endurance races so you don't just breeze through career mode without any effort at all like you can in GT4 and 6. Every pit stop, you have the option to switch or keep going but if you do use B-Spec, you can only use it once every other pit stop. So you can do (A = you, B = B-spec):

A-A-A-A-A
A-B-A-B-A
B-A-B-A-B
Yeah but probably one of the main problems for player nowadays are that they're no longer young anymore and doesn't have full time to deal with the game's offline content. So probably B-Spec would be more important than ever to those.

Posted this on another thread, but I’ll say it again.....

I want a replay video editor, like the one showcased here.

D8086430-03AA-4255-B9AE-9977C904DC71.png

this was the thing that differentiated namely the first and second gran turismo games from other racing games.
Nowadays, they try to include as many hypercars as they can. just like everyone else. sadly.

GT Sport has barely any hypercars

this was the thing that differentiated namely the first and second gran turismo games from other racing games.
Nowadays, they try to include as many hypercars as they can. just like everyone else. sadly.
The only Hypercars in GT Sport are the LaFerrari, Veyron, Huayra, Veneno, P1 GTR, Vulcan, Zonda R and One-77. Koenigsegg isn’t even present. By far the game with the least hypercars...

Okay, i was thinking about cars with high base horsepower by saying hypercars (also cars from racing series or VGTs). Sorry about that.
I'm aware that cars such as Vipers, Cerberas or Corvettes were even in the GT1, but the percentage was more into the daily cars which you could tune up. Thats what i liked. And racing mods :))

That demo was using Ray-tracing and Alsace looked like :yuck: still

They didn't show real-time path-tracing until the very end with the small simple environment, so that part with Alsace was still just base GTSport.

But yeah, Alsace is super ugly. If it still looks like this in GT7 with a giant row of trees made from one flat billboard, I'm going to have to laugh.

They didn't show real-time path-tracing until the very end with the small simple environment, so that part with Alsace was still just base GTSport.

But yeah, Alsace is super ugly. If it still looks like this in GT7 with a giant row of trees made from one flat billboard, I'm going to have to laugh.
What happened to the track modeling team? Some tracks in GTSport look unfinished like Le Mans and its buildings or are simply ugly like Alsace or Sainte Croix.
Look at the Dubai or Rio in Forza 7, high def rocks for Dubai and a very rich scenery for Rio or Prague. Poly has maybe the best car models in the industry but even the city tracks in Project Cars 3 or Grid look more impressing than Tokyo Raceway. I don't know if it's a matter of time or skill or even the 30fps framerate limit: Forza Horizon 4 is in a league of its own when it comes to sceneries.
Even GT4 had more complex tracks with detailed buildings. No seriously, IMO I'm disappointed by tracks graphics in GTSport and GT7 doesn't look awesome at the moment.

If it does come back like this, I'll avoid it. Besides, I never really cared for that track and I don't think anyone else does either...

What happened to the track modeling team? Some tracks in GTSport look unfinished like Le Mans and its buildings or are simply ugly like Alsace or Sainte Croix.
Look at the Dubai or Rio in Forza 7, high def rocks for Dubai and a very rich scenery for Rio or Prague. Poly has maybe the best car models in the industry but even the city tracks in Project Cars 3 or Grid look more impressing than Tokyo Raceway. I don't know if it's a matter of time or skill or even the 30fps framerate limit: Forza Horizon 4 is in a league of its own when it comes to sceneries.
Even GT4 had more complex tracks with detailed buildings. No seriously, IMO I'm disappointed by tracks graphics in GTSport and GT7 doesn't look awesome at the moment.

So True, I feel like PD can't even make proper City tracks anymore when compared to Forza.

Kyoto driving park has thousands of trees but some tracks have a flat plane with an alpha channel textures representing a whole kilometre of trees. Its Fugly

PD seem to put in more effort into the backgrounds than the track. Maybe noone has told them that good tracks can be designed without gimmicks, or maybe they are just using misdirection.

What I learnt from playing Gran Turismo 5 is that I thought the tracks looked and felt very stale when playing offline. However as soon as I started racing online (ie resembling actual racing) I didn't notice it since.

The problem GT has, is that they need good looking tracks, because they dont have enough tracks, or good AI.

I think they should cull the 'scapes' and focus on making the core of the game better.

Last edited:
What I learnt from playing Gran Turismo 5 is that I thought the tracks looked and felt very stale when playing offline. However as soon as I started racing online (ie resembling actual racing) I didn't notice it since.

The problem GT has, is that they need good looking tracks, because they dont have enough tracks, or good AI.

I think they should cull the 'scapes' and focus on making the core of the game better.

Scapes are not at fault here. Good AI and quality track environments don't cancel each other out, and just because you won't look at them while having a good race doesn't mean they get a pass for looking subpar.

An intense race with AI on a track that feels good to drive on and is gorgeous to look at is technically possible (without sacrificing scapes of course). We'll see if they finally manage to do that.

Last edited:
PD seem to put in more effort into the backgrounds than the track. Maybe noone has told them that good tracks can be designed without gimmicks, or maybe they are just using misdirection.

What's with the "cutting content until one thing that matters to make it the best" mindset? Hell, probably even cut all every single content except the racing part (and the "needed" cars), even more than GT Sport and you would think the racing would be utterly unmatchable? If they put the focus on making the core game better while they keep Scapes, albeit not changing anything on it to put the focus on the core can also make the core better without making it barren anywhere else.

Scapes are not at fault here. Good AI and quality track environments don't cancel each other out, and just because you won't look at them while having a good race doesn't mean they get a pass for looking subpar.

An intense race with AI on a track that feels good to drive on an is gorgeous to look at is technically possible (without sacrificing scapes of course). We'll see if they finally manage to do that.

To be clear, not giving them a pass for graphics. Those Trial Mountain shots make me wonder why they took three years.

PD set the benchmark for graphics, they want to keep touting themselves as the graphics standard bearers, so as far as I'm concerned this should be evident when racing, and not just disingenuous press shots that don't reflect the driving experience.

What's with the "cutting content until one thing that matters to make it the best" mindset? Hell, probably even cut all every single content except the racing part (and the "needed" cars), even more than GT Sport and you would think the racing would be utterly unmatchable? If they put the focus on making the core game better while they keep Scapes, albeit not changing anything on it to put the focus on the core can also make the core better without making it barren anywhere else.

I focus on scapes here because one of PDs problems are that every resource they use on creating non-core content like scapes (or modelling the Moon) is one less resource they have to fix or add to core aspects of the game which are below average.

I'm fine with keeping and not adding more scapes. There's over 1000 of them, it's total overkill and they dont need more.

If this was 2005 and we were talking about photo mode in GT4 its a different discussion, because the game had content pouring out of its ears, and its weak areas weren't as comparatively weak by 2005 standards as GT Sport's weak areas are by 2020 standards.

Last edited:
Could someone please tell me what on earth "Scapes" are? :lol: I've not delved much at all into recent GT titles, so I'm totally clueless on this one.

Could someone please tell me what on earth "Scapes" are? :lol: I've not delved much at all into recent GT titles, so I'm totally clueless on this one.

New "Photo Travel" mode introduced in GT Sport, but this time instead of locations being modeled manually like in GT5/6, they are instead real life photos with spatial data and the cars are simply placed in that environment. Like this:
40857251935_dab682cb27_o.jpg
Gran-Turismo-Sport-Citroen-DS3-Racing-02.jpg

Last edited:
New "Photo Travel" mode introduced in GT Sport, but this time instead of locations being modeled, they are instead real life photos with spatial data and the cars are simply placed in that environment.

Oh, wow! :eek: That's actually really neat. Also the fact that I'd have had no clue those cars weren't real had you not told me, really speaks volumes about graphical fidelity nowadays.

I like Alsace.

IMO. Alsace Village has an environment that deserves to be expanded. But the issue is the track itself wich isn't interesting.... I hope PoDi will work this track for GT but I doubt.

Anyway, each Gran Turismo has one or two tracks which we would like to forget.

IMO. Alsace Village has an environment that deserves to be expanded. But the issue is the track itself wich isn't interesting.... I hope PoDi will work this track for GT but I doubt.

Anyway, each Gran Turismo has one or two tracks which we would like to forget.
I actually really enjoy Alsace and the track looks very good to me.. I’m kinda confused on some people saying GT tracks or environment don’t look good... first of all GTS is the only one out of all the racing game to show you the track before racing. It’s one of the best features in arcade mode, you really get to see the track and environment. The water in Alsace look beautiful as the camera pans around the track... you see all the elevations change through out the track and can hear what ever car you are about to drive rip around the track... some times I don’t even drive I just let the screen pan around the track lol.. no other game does this. You have to drive around the track and look around, while in GTS your seeing things on the track that you would never see if you where just driving. PD put some amazing details in some of these tracks where I question why even go that far lol. I have PS4 pro and an XBOX 1X 65 Samsung 4K HDR with all the sim racing games for both systems... except ACC.

Just the same problem Polyphony had with GT5/6 where they had to reuse old PS2 assets and models because they don't want to get help from outsourcing companies. Their track modeling team is great and very talented, it's just the amount of work that goes into the graphical fidelity in modern games take so much time and effort that it's impossible to keep all of the tracks more graphically consistent with each other without having outsourcing help (which is cheaper than hiring new full time employees + these outsource companies have literally 1000s of artists dedicated to just creating art assets). Pretty sure 99% of modern AAA game developers use outsource companies for development help in addition to the Forza and Project Cars devs.

So when Polyphony try to do all of the art themselves, they only have a very limited number of people and time to focus on high fidelity art graphics for only a select amount of tracks or objects, and in order to meet their release deadline (even with a 4-5 years dev time) they have to reuse old art assets or slightly touch them up to make the game have more content. Or they release a game without much content despite a 4 year dev time (GTSport) and still be graphically inconsistent because they had to rush new tracks like Alsace, which looks like they just quickly made in an internal procedural track creator. That's why Spa in GTSport is using the same building models as the ones in GT5/6 even with that long gap between the games. They could have outsourced those buildings and got better looking ones but Kaz doesn't like to outsource for some reason.

Those buildings don't even really bother me graphically, and LeMans in GTSport is easily the best looking version out of the other racing games even if some buildings might not have as much detail.

But it's the ugly tracks like Alsace where you see the limit of Polyphony trying to do everything in-house and it makes me question why they don't just outsourced their fictional track props and art to a cheap third party company. I can see why for real track circuits where Polyphony wants to make everything themselves to be as accurate as possible, but that's not required for the fictional tracks. And with 3d photogrammetry scanning objects and props, there's not even much artistic talent involved in that, it would look the same as if Polyphony made the objects using photogrammetry.

You can read about how outsource companies have become highly important in modern game productions here: https://theoutline.com/post/3087/ou...e-in-china-horizon-zero-dawn?zd=1&zi=i6sx52v2

Hong Kong in GT4 still looks incredible, but it's mostly just 2D photos used as textures and was much easier to make. I can't see Polyphony having 6-7 city tracks again with modern graphics unless Kaz allows for outsourcing help. At least he started budging for the car model outsourcing after the huge content backlash GTSport had.

Just the same problem Polyphony had with GT5/6 where they had to reuse old PS2 assets and models because they don't want to get help from outsourcing companies. Their track modeling team is great and very talented, it's just the amount of work that goes into the graphical fidelity in modern games take so much time and effort that it's impossible to keep all of the tracks more graphically consistent with each other without having outsourcing help (which is cheaper than hiring new full time employees + these outsource companies have literally 1000s of artists dedicated to just creating art assets). Pretty sure 99% of modern AAA game developers use outsource companies for development help in addition to the Forza and Project Cars devs.

So when Polyphony try to do all of the art themselves, they only have a very limited number of people and time to focus on high fidelity art graphics for only a select amount of tracks or objects, and in order to meet their release deadline (even with a 4-5 years dev time) they have to reuse old art assets or slightly touch them up to make the game have more content. Or they release a game without much content despite a 4 year dev time (GTSport) and still be graphically inconsistent because they had to rush new tracks like Alsace, which looks like they just quickly made in an internal procedural track creator. That's why Spa in GTSport is using the same building models as the ones in GT5/6 even with that long gap between the games. They could have outsourced those buildings and got better looking ones but Kaz doesn't like to outsource for some reason.

Those buildings don't even really bother me graphically, and LeMans in GTSport is easily the best looking version out of the other racing games even if some buildings might not have as much detail.

But it's the ugly tracks like Alsace where you see the limit of Polyphony trying to do everything in-house and it makes me question why they don't just outsourced their fictional track props and art to a cheap third party company. I can see why for real track circuits where Polyphony wants to make everything themselves to be as accurate as possible, but that's not required for the fictional tracks. And with 3d photogrammetry scanning objects and props, there's not even much artistic talent involved in that, it would look the same as if Polyphony made the objects using photogrammetry.

You can read about how outsource companies have become highly important in modern game productions here: https://theoutline.com/post/3087/ou...e-in-china-horizon-zero-dawn?zd=1&zi=i6sx52v2

Hong Kong in GT4 still looks incredible, but it's mostly just 2D photos used as textures and was much easier to make. I can't see Polyphony having 6-7 city tracks again with modern graphics unless Kaz allows for outsourcing help. At least he started budging for the car models after the huge content backlash GTSport had.

Bro I agree with you big time but doesn’t every game do this? I can play pc2 and ac and see somethings on the track where it makes you go :scared: at the end of the day these are games and will always have to cut some corners. Again though what game actually shows you the track highlights like GTS?

Last edited:
Back