Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
PD really should've made it clear that the gameplay is a work in progress. We're getting some drastic conclusion jumping as a result and it's fueling a lot of cynicism. Honestly, leaving out the gameplay probably would've been plenty to get fans excited. I felt leaving in almost a whole lap of Trial Mountain made the trailer drag on a bit, especially compared to the other trailers that were shown.

A release date after this year would be a good amount of time for their Michelin partnership to bear fruit given that the announcement was 9 months ago. I remember it was said that development process would be over the course of years. The physics seeming to be rehashed from GTS therefore makes sense...because they're still working on the new one.

I'm less hopeful about the A.I. given PDs track record but iirc they hired new staff in the field of A.I. development. Offline gameplay seems to be a big selling point this time around so they would benefit from having A.I. as a primary focus. Coupling that with the unspecified release date, it makes sense to assume A.I. is a work in progress too.

Any other shortcomings you find in this little bit that we've seen may very well be completely different by the next trailer, all because we don't know how far off the release is.

TL;DR: calm down and wait, pessimists.

Yeah, no.

GT7 is going to drop within the year, that's a fact.

ED14387B-C513-4565-B09F-A1478952B55A.jpeg

I'd also like to point out, players MIGHT need a National A licence to progress. :scared: Wonder how that'll be accepeted by the Sport Mode only players.

Honestly, I feel like there needs to be some form of in-game "license" or "test" that lets you play in Sport mode. Like, it doesn't need to be Driving Mission 34 difficult or super long, but just something that at least shows how to properly brake, accelerate, turn, pass, etc., like the Driving School challenges (which are essentially the old license challenges). Something more than just watch some videos about Sportsmanship before playing in a ranked mode. Maybe I'm just optimistic that it would help with a bit of the bad driving online.

I do know where Laguna Seca is, thank you, I was there last weekend. It's not nestled in the San Francisco Bay, like my "Blue Moon Bay" (not Broad Bean) dot is, it's about 100 miles south of that. There are no race tracks on the San Francisco Peninsula, so I went with Blue Moon Bay, which has been stated by PD to be "on the West Coast" and "near a bay". As you stated, most/all of the GTS tracks appear to be here, so I'm not sure where else it would go.

I think the huge high speed track is in the middle of the SF Bay. It reminds me a lot of the San Mateo bridge, and the Sony PlayStation headquarters is right near it.

Honestly, I feel like there needs to be some form of in-game "license" or "test" that lets you play in Sport mode. Like, it doesn't need to be Driving Mission 34 difficult or super long, but just something that at least shows how to properly brake, accelerate, turn, pass, etc., like the Driving School challenges (which are essentially the old license challenges). Something more than just watch some videos about Sportsmanship before playing in a ranked mode. Maybe I'm just optimistic that it would help with a bit of the bad driving online.
I thought about that, but multiple accounts are a thing today. It only takes bad players to make an account for each licence, to mess up all those groups. If you understand me.

What do you mean by same races? The same track or same event? Or same track/event combo?
Sorry, I'm not fully understanding.

@Imari pretty much answered what I meant. Same events, and probably same tracks. Sunday Cup, Autumn Ring Mini, over and over again. Boring.

This isn't a licensed game of a real world racing series where you have to mimic it the same, it's not F1 where every season has to start at Melbourne and use the same races every season. Mind you, even the F1 games they've greatly advanced over the years to include more and more fine detail beyond the races, management, upgrades etc.

I haven't been on this board since GTS last did a big update because it doesn't appeal to me as an online game, I still haven't bought it. But funnily enough, last time I was here people questioned just what it is I, or others want from an offline mode, so let me re-quote what I posted after thinking about it for five minutes.

Well you can make that suggestion, but you've got no proof of it in this specific case, have you? Since some people have their pants in a wad because I dared to say I'm not impressed by this update and can't say what I want, here you go:

- Start out as a racing driver but you tell the game your skill level, if you're a rookie or seasoned racer. The game sets the AI/aids as appropriate
- Based on the above you choose where to start, either in the beginner leagues or jump straight into a more advanced league.
- You enter into a racing season, starting out in your choice. It runs for several events with one offs thrown in.
- The events are all loosely based on real racing series or are real racing series where licenses permit.
- There is full qualifying for each event and fair standing starts or rolling starts. AI is competetive.
- The teams you start out at are going to be slower so you probably won't be able to win straight away.
- Perform well and you move up to better teams and new contracts.
- When you have enough money you can start your own team.
- An optional team management aspect, managing the team, upgrades, finances, sponsors etc
- You progress through the racing ladder choosing where you want to go. You don't need to win all races to proceed, just meet targets and impress.
- Full damage (optional), proper racing rules, pit stops, tyre wear. Adjustable race lengths. Weather is also highly desirable.
- No ultimate goal as such, you just keep going season to season until you've achieved everything you want.
- Throw in fun end of season events like Race of Champions.
- Develop rivals and friends through the years. People retire and new fast rookies turn up.

I could go on, but you get the idea. That's just off the top of my head in five minutes but PD deliver something like that, I'm in. From what we've seen in these images, that isn't what they're doing, they're just doing the same as GT1-6. It's a tired format that I'm bored of and not interested in.

Is my opinion allowed to stand now? :rolleyes:

It's not the greatest idea in the world nor is it original but if I can do that in five minutes, PD should be able to come up with something more original in 20+ years instead of copy/paste.

But as i say, I'm not judging entirely yet because that is hopefully just a placeholder in a very unfinished state. If it's not....bye.

My problem with it was a general complaint I had about the PS5 stream -- a console reveal should have game footage that shows the potential of the platform. But there were no real "wow" moments in the GT7 trailer. The ray traced reflections and additional car details were nice, but where was the dynamic weather? Where was amazing AI taking advantage of all the new CPU power? Or at least a revamped GT Sport mode? Instead what we got was basically, "We are sorry about GT Sport, here is your comfy nostalgic GT again." Dwelling more in the past than in the future.

Thank you kind Sir!

I'm still hoping for some of the previous Gran Turismo cars like... um... the '97 Elise and Elise GT1 :)
I'd like the V12 CLK GTR. I know it wasn't great in real life, but on a game it's awesome. Packard? Tucker? Rolls Royce? I mean, they put the B.A.T in GT6, so why not? One of the cars came stock with 11 HP. Subaru 360 or maybe the 65 Fiat 500? I can't remember which car it was...

image_gran_turismo_7-42169-4502_0005.jpg

The message shown at the bottom of the released screenshots is very interesting. 'Cars shown may require gameplay progression.'

That leads me to think that locked prize cars are returning! Or maybe it's just referring to cars costing credits
The car that killed CanAm... was not this one :)

Last edited:
My problem with it was a general complaint I had about the PS5 stream -- a console reveal should have game footage that shows the potential of the platform. But there were no real "wow" moments in the GT7 trailer. The ray traced reflections and additional car details were nice, but where was the dynamic weather? Where was amazing AI taking advantage of all the new CPU power? Or at least a revamped GT Sport mode? Instead what we got was basically, "We are sorry about GT Sport, here is your comfy nostalgic GT again." Dwelling more in the past than in the future.

Yes it was very unPD like I thought. Their trailers are usually very slick and show off impressive stuff, even if that stuff doesn't make the final game or is exaggerated.

But this trailer when you break it down was just nostalgia menus, followed by some uninspiring replays and gameplay footage on a nostalgia track. Of course there were new cars in there as well, but that's a given.

Odd. It's why I have to assume they're years away from being finished. Again.

I haven't been on this board since GTS last did a big update because it doesn't appeal to me as an online game, I still haven't bought it. But funnily enough, last time I was here people questioned just what it is I, or others want from an offline mode, so let me re-quote what I posted after thinking about it for five minutes.
I'm going to be honest and you're going to hate me for saying this, but I actually like that the races stay the same. I always felt that the way PD has done their career mode is part of Gran Turismo's identity. Just being able to enter races based on the cars offered in the game and working through the ladder.

and well, adding a story of some kind or changing the career structure to something new just wouldn't make GT feel like GT. Maybe they can refresh the career a bit by changing the events around, but I honestly don't want anything new in that case.

My Gran Turismo days are long over. But man... This one.... I don't think I've ever seen something so freaking spectacular. And the nostalgia, man...

But back to reality. I've been playing GT since the late 90's and been in this forum for more than a decade. If I have learned something, that would be to be cautious with expectations when it comes to a new GT. Not only with content, features and such, but specially with release dates. Being a GT veteran, I can "guesstimate" we won't be seeing a release date in about a year from now. The game itself in another (at least) three years from then.

I hope that when this game releases, Playstation will be fully supported on PC, like Xbox. I'm not buying a TV, console and another wheel just for one game.

Yes it was very unPD like I though. Their trailers are usually very slick and show off impressive stuff, even if that stuff doesn't make the final game or is exaggerated.

But this trailer when you break it down was just nostalgia menus, followed by some uninspiring replays and gameplay footage on a nostalgia track. Of course there were new cars in there as well, but that's a given.

Odd. It's why I have to assume they're years away from being finished. Again.

The one takeaway I had was that while I was personally really happy with the trailer (I’m easy to please), there’s no way it would release this year - though compared to how GTS looked when it was initially first shown off it looks much more complete

At least they didn’t give out a release date that they’d eventually ignore due to having to delay the game?

Here's the menu music, not sure if it's put specifically for the trailer or it will feature on the full game

Personally I preferred the lounge music from GT5 thru Sport, or classic Isamu Ohira tunes from older GTs that fits the nostalgic world map UI better than a rock song for menus, but I won't pass my judgement till I see the full soundtrack list

Last edited:
Yeah I joined a while after GT Sport had launched :lol:
I just joined today, but have bought Gran Turismo since the original. I never signed up for the forum, but visited it frequently starting a decade or more ago. I remember HI-FI mode from the original. I love these games, although GT Sport was kind of a let down in terms of the amount of cars available. The average man cars are the only reason I still can play all GT's.

I'm going to be honest and you're going to hate me for saying this, but I actually like that the races stay the same. I always felt that the way PD has done their career mode is part of Gran Turismo's identity. Just being able to enter races based on the cars offered in the game and working through the ladder.

and well, adding a story of some kind or changing the career structure to something new just wouldn't make GT feel like GT. Maybe they can refresh the career a bit by changing the events around, but I honestly don't want anything new in that case.

That's your opinion obviously, not going to hate you for it. I get fearing change and liking what you're used to but sometimes it just has to happen, like with GTS. I didn't care for it at all, but I'm glad they tried to make change. It's why I was so disappointed when they just patched in the old single player GT, but worse, when they had the change to try something new.

Yeah, I've passed the same tests since the original Gran Turismo. I could pass the Mazda Demio stopping test in my sleep. The only thing I've not gotten pretty good with is the Red Bull or SRT Tomahawk. I'll work on them when they're real.

My Gran Turismo days are long over. But man... This one.... I don't think I've ever seen something so freaking spectacular. And the nostalgia, man...

But back to reality. I've been playing GT since the late 90's and been in this forum for more than a decade. If I have learned something, that would be to be cautious with expectations when it comes to a new GT. Not only with content, features and such, but specially with release dates. Being a GT veteran, I can "guesstimate" we won't be seeing a release date in about a year from now. The game itself in another (at least) three years from then.

I hope that when this game releases, Playstation will be fully supported on PC, like Xbox. I'm not buying a TV, console and another wheel just for one game.
I think the game is a lot less than a year away, because PD has been working on a new game for sometime.

It seems that the partnership with Michelin has generated results, apparently we'll have to manage the temperature of the tires during the race, at least these blue rectangles indicate this..

Funny, I saw that car lose grip and slide sideways... none of the tires on the HUD went red

Also, agree that this game will be released very soon. GT7 has been developed concurrently with GTS for a few years now.

Initial date was slated for November, it’s been pushed back I believe

Back