Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been completely put off buying this game until it's dirt cheap because if all the inexcusable crap they've pulled since it's release.

There's no way a full price first party Sony game should be further fleecing early adaptors who have shown the most loyalty and support like this.

Most people don't have the time to grind to the extent they expect us to. Life is way to short and there are other games to play that ultimately are much more rewarding of our time, money and commitment.

They have completely ruined an otherwise decent entry to the series and inho all their glowing review scores like this one should be adjusted accordingly.

If GT7 was mind blowing and so much better than anything they've done before you could almost put up with it until they ever addressed it's current state. It's not.

Always needing to be online doesn't exactly help it's case either but it's the real world volumes of cash required to obtain fantasy cars in a AAA full price game that's the deal/game breaking isuue.

Far from the Return of the King anymore. It's made me more concerned that it's had its day and is on a downward spiral.

Sony/Polyphony should be called out for their greed and suspect business practices. If I'd paid full price for this game in good faith then I'd be justifiably screaming for a full refund.

This kind of major goalpost moving post release and reviews safely being out needs to stop.

GRAN TURISMO 7 is a thin and weak CAREER DLC for GT Sport, with the higher graphics power of the PlayStation 5. Nothing else. Not a real new, numbered game.
I don't mind the microtransactions or the slow credit progress, it doesn't bother me if I get the platinum trophy in 2023...
What's piss me of is the lack of real innovation in this product!
The actual career mode (Café) is pretty short.
In some areas GT7 looks a few generations older game, for example;
in the Cafe Menus and with the advices from E-sport GT players, they are communicating us with a simple text bubble. Seriously??? Like on the original playstation 1. back to the roots.
But for me it's not nostalgic at all, it is embarrassing, pathetic and lazy!
In 2022 at least needed to be a voice narration!
It's mandatory. Not a simple text to read.
Or interactive videos! That's how you do it.
But text? So disappointing!

My wish list for GT7 features looks something like this:
✅ Dynamic time changes
✅ Dynamic weather changes
✅ Faster Ai
❌ Yearly seasons in tracks (winter, autumn, ect)
❌ Improved penalty system
❌ Custom offline championships (so much potential!)
❌ Voice messages in races, and in the menus too, to feel the characters alive.
❌ Fully customizable and mapable HUD!!!
❌ Proper race weekends, with qualifications.

As you see most of them still missing.
... oh, and the music rally or what the heck, is ridiculous 🤣
"The real driving simulator" is a real missed opportunity... 😕

Last edited:
GRAN TURISMO 7 is a thin and weak CAREER DLC for GT Sport, with the higher graphics power of the PlayStation 5. Nothing else. Not a real new, numbered game.
I don't mind the microtransactions or the slow credit progress, it doesn't bother me if I get the platinum trophy in 2023...
What's piss me of is the lack of real innovation in this product!
The actual career mode (Café) is pretty short.
In some areas GT7 looks a few generations older game, for example;
in the Cafe Menus and with the advices from E-sport GT players, they are communicating us with a simple text bubble. Seriously??? Like on the original playstation 1. back to the roots.
But for me it's not nostalgic at all, it is embarrassing, pathetic and lazy!
In 2022 at least needed to be a voice narration!
It's mandatory. Not a simple text to read.
Or interactive videos! That's how you do it.
But text? So disappointing!

My wish list for GT7 features looks something like this:
✅ Dynamic time changes
✅ Dynamic weather changes
✅ Faster Ai
❌ Yearly seasons in tracks (winter, autumn, ect)
❌ Improved penalty system
❌ Custom offline championships (so much potential!)
❌ Voice messages in races, and in the menus too, to feel the characters alive.
❌ Fully customizable and mapable HUD!!!
❌ Proper race weekends, with qualifications.

As you see most of them still missing.
... oh, and the music rally or what the heck, is ridiculous 🤣
"The real driving simulator" is a real missed opportunity... 😕
I completely agree but fail to grasp how you could be cool with them hiking up the prices to buy cars so much since launch and when the game no longer allows you to sell the ones you've got either.

I had a shot on my pals wheel with it yesterday and went away pretty underwhelmed considering my expectations. It just felt and looked like a slightly shinier Sport to me. No real wow factor for a £70 game (that's obvs over $90)

I think it feels dated and overrated at this point. I'll likely pick it up down the line whenever it's eventually discounted but I don't think I'm missing out much in the meantime.

I'm just glad I didn't buy it at launch due to what crap they've pulled since. Obviously that in turn leaves a bad taste overall and ends up putting me off buying or supporting it altogether. A game I was really honestly looking forward to as well.

Last edited:
It's tricky, reviewing an always-online, live-service-type game. A lot of parts of a launch week review are only really relevant until the first update, so it's less like reviewing an album and more like reviewing a radio station.
Yes that is 100% true. Its very tricky.

Although I do feel as though the review should reflect the current product, because as its stands this review does not go over any of the issues this game still has 4 months after launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back