Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the review! This one and the one from Super GT have convinced me to get the game, which I wasn't planning on originally. The main reasons that put me over the fence are the fact that physics seems much improved and the time-of-day and wet weather stuff seems to be well done, which are some of the most important bits for me. Unfortunately AI is an issue and I still completely hate the GT UI, but overall it seems like it should be fun to do license tests and race online occasionally. Good thing that loading times are much better on PS5 as that was also a huge annoyance in the past. I do hope they add a Performance RT mode at some point as well.

I just wished you had put that part about online required for all modes at the beginning and I would have stopped reading right there lol. That's a deal breaker for me so guess I'll pass. Unless of Mid-Field AND motorcycles are added, nothing about GT7 that has been mentioned makes me want to go back to GT again. Bad AI? geez WTF, maybe spend less times with scapes and more focus on that. Speaking on scapes that is another deal breaker for me. If those aren't optional and don't have to be loaded, wouldn't want space on my PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) to be wasted on something I have no interest in

Great review Jordan! This is about what I expected everything to be good except AI. Eventually after getting everything unlocked I will be doing hot laps

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't get the AI obsession, either. I think PD agrees that anyone who's serious about racing will be doing it online. I've always felt like the offline races were just opportunities to earn credits and experience points.
There is also Custom Race Mode. I spent a heap of time in this mode in GTS and the ai are a definite step up. I've had some really challenging races and many occassions where the ai will race me quite determinedly. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have the opportunity to choose a difficulty level in the base single player part of the game.
Regarding Sophy, if it doesn't end up in standard single player perhaps it may be implemented in Custom Race Mode. If so, that would be fantastic and wouldnt affect the base game at all, though if it is at all possible I would be very keen to see it in the standard single player too.

Dynamic time of day =/= day/night cycle.

A cycle implies a full 24hr day's cycle.
Super GT's review said you could choose starting time of day/night and also to set it up to 10x speed so you get a full transition during a shorter race... and it looked really lush too!

Last edited:
I'm disappointed there's no engine swaps. I was really looking forward to some VW swaps.
We still don’t know if that’s the case. PD quite obviously hinted it in the state of play, kaz even retweeted something discussing it. What is probably the case is no one has unlocked it yet.

Super GT's review said you could choose starting time of day/night and also to set it up to 10x speed so you get a full transition during a shorter race... and it looked really lush too!
Yes exactly, but the 24hr cycle is only available on a few tracks (usual endurance tracks), not all of them. Unless I misheard?

Last edited:
For some reason I can't see the review. I just get a blank screen. But I have a question: since our DR and SR scores have been imported into 7 from Sport, can one just immediately go online racing or is there a process to get a new license?

For some reason I can't see the review. I just get a blank screen. But I have a question: since our DR and SR scores have been imported into 7 from Sport, can one just immediately go online racing or is there a process to get a new license?
Sport and online lobbies isn't unlocked until you've done an hour or so of offline racing and upping your collector level.

Exactly :

Dynamic time of day = all tracks
24hr cycle = endurance tracks
Dynamic weather (without rain) = all tracks
Rain = some tracks

:)
Then what's gonna happen if you run long enough on a track that doesn't support 24h cycle? Does the time just stop?

Yes exactly, but the 24hr cycle is only available on a few tracks (usual endurance tracks), not all of them. Unless I misheard?
I thought that was just the rain, not being available at Laguna Seca or Willow Springs which kind of makes sense...

It sure does! I had an SSD in my PS4 Pro and in every game loading times were reduced by 20-33%, sometimes even 50%. Digital Foundry also did some videos about it.
Yeah but that isn't actually significant compared to the near instant loading on PS5.

They didn't state it outright but the SoP was VERY suggestive. If that screenshot of the engine name appeared somewhere and that was it it'd be less of a big deal but that section of the video was clear.

"We have prepared approximately 60 types of performance parts per car"

The video then shows upgrades being applied to a 911, all stuff we can do in the game. It then cuts to the Beetle and says "Let's actually try it then". That is very clear, they're going to try something you can do in game. They cut to the tuning menu and the Porsche engine is already applied. They upgrade some other parts, then show a side by side video of the original car and the upgraded one.

The upgraded side is visually and audibly running the Porsche engine. The fact that we seemingly can't actually do that is surely nothing but misleading. I have to assume it's coming in an update and was included in the SOP in error, or they thought it'd make launch and didn't.

I noticed this in the stream of the Clubman Cup Plus race a few days ago (in the example of the "four chillis" difficulty) - in a field of JDM performance cars, the leading AI car is that same white Beetle. They clearly imply the ability to swap but the fact it appeared as an AI opponent in a career event means to me that it's just a one-off car.

Last edited:
What I have to say is that, luckily, the game comes out for PS4, and I don't have to spend 600 euros to buy the PS5, which, by the way, doesn't even exist in stock.
So, " Thank you Sonia, I don't need bag"

Attachments

• GT7 plus PS5.jpg
    GT7 plus PS5.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12
I noticed this in the stream of the Clubman Cup Plus race a few days ago (in the example of the "four chillis" difficulty) - in a field of JDM performance cars, the leading AI car is that same white Beetle. They clearly imply the ability to swap but the fact it appeared as an AI opponent in a career event means to me that it's just a one-off car.
Seems unlikely, why would PD create one single premade custom car like that? They've never done that before, and it was shown in the modifications and tuning section of the presentation.

Seems unlikely, why would PD create one single premade custom car like that? They've never done that before, and it was shown in the modifications and tuning section of the presentation.

It could be like Racing Modifications in GT5 in the sense that a lot was made out of them, but it was ultimately very limited in what it applied to.

Sport and online lobbies isn't unlocked until you've done an hour or so of offline racing and upping your collector level.
It's not your Collector Level that matters for this one. You need to complete Menu Book 9 - which is a total of 12 two-lap races, getting your B-Licence completed, washing a car and tuning a Mini to 360PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back