Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Sophy wont be implemented locally, the low resource algorithms Sophy produces will be though, and this will subsequently change the behaviour of the opponents. It doesn't have to be too complex just a rock paper scissors outcome for each corner depending on player behaviour attenuated to car stats / PP rating. I bet the tweaking of those algorithms is in constant flux as they add new content, and it will be some accomplishment to properly implement. I wonder what kind of weird aberrations occur when trying these algorithms out, would make for a good blooper reel...
That's not what they say they have planned though. No mention of opponent vehicles in any way.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 16-22-33 Gran Turismo Sophy - Race Together Media Event [English] - Y...png

I have a feeling it’ll be a ‘race Sophy’ challenge like the Lewis dlc. Time will tell, and knowing PD, quite a long time.
What's said about Sophy isn't the utterly limited application like that. One of the plan is to use Sophy as the AI in B-Spec mode if it's implemented. So B-Spec full on cheese mode that way?

I have to give my two cents when it comes to criticism about the AI. I consider myself an expert when it comes to understanding what a Gran Turismo game truly is. It is a game meant to cater to the masses which includes beginners and also the die hard GT fans which have played almost every title. I am a gamer who has played pretty much every game except the PSP version and I have enjoyed every iteration.

Throughout my experiences I have noticed that GT is a game which is not meant to be too difficult when it comes to the campaign mode from most previous games. The campaign mode is designed to be an experience which helps you progress so you can get to the next section quickly if you choose. The AI is only designed to give you as much of a challenge to help you have the feeling of achieving success. It's not designed to hamper you if you choose to progress through the campaign mode quickly. The first few races are actually designed to be your credit grind races. A race where you use the most OP car to earn credits quickly by replaying them if you choose.

Other races can give you a challenge, but you must follow a few guidelines. One thing I have noticed from other reviewers which is pretty consistent is that they are using OP cars and then claim the AI is too slow, however if you follow these guidelines you will almost always get a decent experience racing the AI.

Guideline #1: Make sure you start the race with a stock car no matter what the performance point limit is. Keep in mind most AI cars are not tuned to the max of the performance point limit and most likely neither is the rabbit car. If you win with a stock required car then the race is not meant to be challenging at all. If you can't keep up then exit the race and view the replay. Choose one of the AI cars and find out what tire compound it is using. Most likely all the AI cars will have the same compound. Now you know at least one of the upgrades the AI has. Tire compound is the single most effective way to make your car handle better and be faster, however it's the easiest way to make your car OP as well. Equip that tire compound and see if you can keep up. If you can't keep up then apply gradual upgrades. Remember it's ok to lose races. Rinse and repeat until you're fast enough to win the race with as little upgrades as it takes.

Guideline #2: Start the race with a required car with at least 100 points underneath the performance limit. Remember from guideline #1 the AI is nowhere close to the performance point limit so try to match it. The only upgrade you know for sure the AI has is it's tire compound other than that you don't know how modified the AI really is. Sometimes you may need to start the race at half the performance limit.

Use these guidelines and I guarantee you will have a better racing experience with the AI. Make your car OP and the race won't be challenging no matter what difficulty you choose. Also keep in mind the most competitive racing can be had online or in the custom races where you create the grids and set all the parameters not necessarily the campaign mode. The AI is simply not designed to be competitive until you progress through the game in campaign. It's purposely designed that way by the developer and no matter how much complaining we do they will not completely overhaul their formula and it's been like that for all the GT games I have played. Hopefully these guidelines help. GT7 is finally upon us! Happy racing everyone. :cheers:

What's said about Sophy isn't the utterly limited application like that. One of the plan is to use Sophy as the AI in B-Spec mode if it's implemented. So B-Spec full on cheese mode that way?
Repeating myself but I could see Sophy being implemented in Custom Race Mode. Pure speculation of course but it would be possible because this mode is a standalone part of the game.

I have to give my two cents when it comes to criticism about the AI. I consider myself an expert when it comes to understanding what a Gran Turismo game truly is. It is a game meant to cater to the masses which includes beginners and also the die hard GT fans which have played almost every title. I am a gamer who has played pretty much every game except the PSP version and I have enjoyed every iteration.

Throughout my experiences I have noticed that GT is a game which is not meant to be too difficult when it comes to the campaign mode from most previous games. The campaign mode is designed to be an experience which helps you progress so you can get to the next section quickly if you choose. The AI is only designed to give you as much of a challenge to help you have the feeling of achieving success. It's not designed to hamper you if you choose to progress through the campaign mode quickly. The first few races are actually designed to be your credit grind races. A race where you use the most OP car to earn credits quickly by replaying them if you choose.

Other races can give you a challenge, but you must follow a few guidelines. One thing I have noticed from other reviewers which is pretty consistent is that they are using OP cars and then claim the AI is too slow, however if you follow these guidelines you will almost always get a decent experience racing the AI.

Guideline #1: Make sure you start the race with a stock car no matter what the performance point limit is. Keep in mind most AI cars are not tuned to the max of the performance point limit and most likely neither is the rabbit car. If you win with a stock required car then the race is not meant to be challenging at all. If you can't keep up then exit the race and view the replay. Choose one of the AI cars and find out what tire compound it is using. Most likely all the AI cars will have the same compound. Now you know at least one of the upgrades the AI has. Tire compound is the single most effective way to make your car handle better and be faster, however it's the easiest way to make your car OP as well. Equip that tire compound and see if you can keep up. If you can't keep up then apply gradual upgrades. Remember it's ok to lose races. Rinse and repeat until you're fast enough to win the race with as little upgrades as it takes.

Guideline #2: Start the race with a required car with at least 100 points underneath the performance limit. Remember from guideline #1 the AI is nowhere close to the performance point limit so try to match it. The only upgrade you know for sure the AI has is it's tire compound other than that you don't know how modified the AI really is. Sometimes you may need to start the race at half the performance limit.

Use these guidelines and I guarantee you will have a better racing experience with the AI. Make your car OP and the race won't be challenging no matter what difficulty you choose. Also keep in mind the most competitive racing can be had online or in the custom races where you create the grids and set all the parameters not necessarily the campaign mode. The AI is simply not designed to be competitive until you progress through the game in campaign. It's purposely designed that way by the developer and no matter how much complaining we do they will not completely overhaul their formula and it's been like that for all the GT games I have played. Hopefully these guidelines help. GT7 is finally upon us! Happy racing everyone. :cheers:
So you have to artificially hamstring your car? It’s also not just the speed but the I in AI seems completely absent.

Engine swaps have been shown in other reviews, VVV review or Black Pantha, no disrespect to Jordan but he is human as we all are and you miss things
Where are they showing this? I just checked both reviews and did not see them perform an engine swap anywhere. I looked through the game carefully and never saw even as much as a placeholder that would make it possible.
After reviewing graphic-comparison-videos i agree to the other guys here - PS4 pro is the way to go, no need of a expensive PS5 at the moment.

And the exaggerated atomic-sun-glow on the cars is worse on PS5, than on PS4

Also raytracing seems to look worse than performance, most of the time

RIP to all PS5 buyers 💩
No, the PS4 Pro is definitely not the way to go.

If that's all you have, you'll be in fine, but the PS5 is unquestionably the best way to play this game.
Jordan didn't mention PS4 Pro sound in his review.. but my guess is.. it's going to be loud.
I expected that, but it really wasn't that bad.

The dust-filled, base-model PS4 (I actually picked one up off Facebook Marketplace just for this review) I used for comparison, however, did sound like it was going to explode.

I understand what you're trying to say, but no, the AI really is that bad.

If you follow one closely, you'll find they are sputtering around at 50% or 75% throttle, even at the hardest "Professional" difficulty setting. Yes, you can try to make it more challenging by using a "stock" car or one with a smaller PP, but players should not have to do that. A game of this stature should be sophisticated enough to present a challenge to players of all skill levels out of the box.

Where are they showing this? I just checked both reviews and did not see them perform an engine swap anywhere. I looked through the game carefully and never saw even as much as a placeholder that would make it possible.

No, the PS4 Pro is definitely not the way to go.

If that's all you have, you'll be in fine, but the PS5 is unquestionably the best way to play this game.

I expected that, but it really wasn't that bad.

The dust-filled, base-model PS4 (I actually picked one up off Facebook Marketplace just for this review) I used for comparison, however, did sound like it was going to explode.

I understand what you're trying to say, but no, the AI really is that bad.

If you follow one closely, you'll find they are sputtering around at 50% or 75% throttle, even at the hardest "Professional" difficulty setting. Yes, you can try to make it more challenging by using a "stock" car or one with a smaller PP, but players should not have to do that. A game of this stature should be sophisticated enough to present a challenge to players of all skill levels out of the box.
I'm not saying the AI isn't bad. I'm just trying to give my opinion on how to make the experience more enjoyable. Even IRL racing there's hardly any side by side battling. They most of the time run their own race and race you when they have the pace. Hopefully sophy adds the immersion everyone wants but until then we have to be creative because Polyphony simply won't add a patch which will make the AI more competitive. :bowdown:

Last edited:
I'm not saying the AI isn't bad. I'm just trying to give my opinion on how to make the experience more enjoyable. Even IRL racing there's hardly any side by side battling. They most of the time run their own race and race you when they have the pace. Hopefully sophy adds the immersion everyone wants but until then we have to be creative because Polyphony simply won't add a patch which will make the AI more competitive. :bowdown:
Completely get what you mean here, but I feel like the majority of people would prefer to just hop straight into a race knowing the AI will challenge them instead of being forced into detuning their car just so they don’t overtake the entire field before the first lap ends

Completely get what you mean here, but I feel like the majority of people would prefer to just hop straight into a race knowing the AI will challenge them instead of being forced into detuning their car just so they don’t overtake the entire field before the fir
I completely agree but unfortunately we will most likely have to wait to GT8 to get that experience. Does GT7 have seasonal events coming BTW Jordan?

Last edited:
That's the impression I've always gotten - if they were human players, it'd be like they're afraid to press R2 more than halfway. Through rose-tinted glasses I always remembered GT4 AI being at least faster, but I just ran an Arcade Race with 10/10 difficulty and had a significant lead carved out just a few minutes in. I guess that was passable in the PS2 era, but jeez, this really has been an issue for a very long time. :lol:

The closest thing I've seen regarding the topic, is in the manual it mentions roulette spins provide parts not otherwise able to acquire anywhere else.

Eks
That's the impression I've always gotten - if they were human players, it'd be like they're afraid to press R2 more than halfway. Through rose-tinted glasses I always remembered GT4 AI being at least faster, but I just ran an Arcade Race with 10/10 difficulty and had a significant lead carved out just a few minutes in. I guess that was passable in the PS2 era, but jeez, this really has been an issue for a very long time. :lol:
Obviously PD is aware! Unfortunately their solution was not ready to be implemented into GT7 at launch. We have to wait and see what improvements Sophy will make and those who are disappointed with the AI and have not bought the game will simply wait. It's not good business on part of PD but the alternative would have been to delay the game substantially until sophy was ready.

PS4 Pro never was the way to go, it was barely an upgrade over the original PS4. But I agree that the PS5 version barely is an upgrade over the PS4 version. It's pretty funny that my 9 year old console can play a next-gen game with only worse loading times and lighting (in some conditions). But it's also sad for people who bought a PS5 specifically for this game, I guess.

I didn't only bought a PS5, but also a 4k OLED. Please don't feel sad for me, I'll be more than fine.

I can say right away that the characters that are holding your hand and refuse to let go in the beginning, is the dumbest %#€£ I’ve ever experienced. Leave me alone for crying out loud! Also, the fact that you can only choose between 3 cars is ridiculous, and nothing is unlocked. Classic GT my #%€! If I’d score the game right now it’d be a 2/10.

Last edited:
Playing on PS5 & 65" OLED

The quickest review....

3 hours in......do not fear, it's brilliant!!!!

Yes, it's a slow burner at first, but really enjoyed it and I am blown away with the graphics and gameplay. It feels so different to GT Sport, but in a really good way. It takes about 2 hours or so to unlock multiplayer. AI are poor on career BUT set up a custom race and they are actually decent!! Way better than on sport, actually gave me a challenge.
Sound, really good.
Graphics, insane!
Physics, a massive step up from GT Sport! Great fun when all assists are off
Weather and time, rain is amazing, night looks stunning

Ray Tracing mode - Don't bother! It's not worth the sacrifice in performance. The performance mode is absolutely fine

Bugs? A few, a little bit of lag on replays (in performance mode when full grid, or certain tracks/time. 95% of the time, it's like butter

Wants? Full VR support on the new headset due next year, this would be a game changer!

Happy? Oh yes

Reviews schmoos. How about we review Sony's customer service? Who's idea was it to serve pre-order and Anniversary customers and physical copy customers by giving them the game on release day? All the digital customers will be able to download the game as of midnight tonight, meanwhile physical copy customers won't be able to touch anything until UPS or whoever can get it here, and that's also subject to any system or weather delays they might run into.

That's just poor customer service in my opinion. If I were the one making the decisions, the obvious decision is to do right by pre-order customers and make sure they've got the physical copy in their hands by release day, so when release day actually arrives they also have equal access to download servers immediately like digital customers. And to make sure everything is equal, the download servers shouldn't be available until they're available which doesn't seem to have been the case.

I personally would take it a step further and say that if anybody has gone through the trouble of ordering a physical copy then they're likely a distinguished customer and should have their copy in their hands early. I've owned and played every edition of GT they've ever made, I feel like I've earned some privileges above some slobbery kid who doesn't even know what cold hard cash feels like.

So that's my biggest gripe so far, the fact that I paid $90 to not be able to play the game when it releases.

Last edited:
Thanks to @Jordan for your review as always appreciated.

I am one of the many looking forward to GT7, flaws and all. Can't say that I am overly thrilled with PD not giving the AI a decent improvement over prior iterations however like many my love of GT is more than just that. The mods that are so vastly implemented this time around from what I can see and understand and have me pretty hyped to say the least. Tomorrow is my b'day so heading to pick up my pre ordered copy of the 25th ani ed for PS5 in the next 15mins as I have an early finish at work. So home to DL the 100GB's and ready have it ready to go for first thing tomorrow. Happy fricken b'day to yours truly. Giddy Up!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok, just as I posted my previous post, the game opened up somewhat, but the constant popup messages are still annoying. Really enjoying the visuals and improved physics and sounds though. The feedback you get from the PS5 controller is amazing.

My first impression wasn't that good.

Even though I'd downloaded the whole game, it started by forcing me to do the weird "musical rally" thing with some of the most atrocious "music" I've heard in a long, long time, "Hooked on classics," a medley of well-known classical pieces - all heavily quantized to line up with the trite four-on-the-floor drum beat that's mixed in, telling me to "enjoy it." That just felt stupid.

And after that you're presented with a several minutes long intro movie that can't be skipped.

The only really positive thing I noted (besides the option that makes it possible to skip the cheesy "helper" comments) was the PS5 controller implementation (it was too late to hook up my console compatible wheel-base.) The physics didn't look that different from GTS (there are still that "hand of God" effect helping you catch slides - at least on the controller.) In the two races I did, the AI was mind-numbingly slow and boring to "race" - both times I had passed them all well before the end of the first lap. I actually had more fun playing GT4 on an emulator a while ago (that was with a wheel, though.) And I couldn't find where to turn off the scummy "micro-" transactions (nothing is "micro" about them, in my mind.)

Tl;dr: I'm feeling more than a little buyers remorse. But if you're more into collecting cars than racing them, it might be a game for you.

Obviously PD is aware! Unfortunately their solution was not ready to be implemented into GT7 at launch. We have to wait and see what improvements Sophy will make and those who are disappointed with the AI and have not bought the game will simply wait. It's not good business on part of PD but the alternative would have been to delay the game substantially until sophy was ready.
Sophy isnt their solution and they aren't advertising it as a potential AI opponent.

The level of the AI has nothing to do with not having enough development time, it's because they see the current AI and racing as acceptable. Which is why they've been happy enough to have the same guy babysit the AI for the last 15 years.

Last edited:
The frustrating part is exactly what Luke said on the IGN Review. The few grid start events in career mode prove that there is no technical limitation stopping that from happening, frame rate was perfectly fine, so why isn't that an option for ALL career events instead of forcing the catchup format for 90% of them? The catch up format is their choice, 100%.

Sure, the AI are still not great on the grid starts but it's still FAR better than starting last and playing catch up all the time. You can pick a slower car and have an actual race of sorts, not just catch up a bit slower.

Someone REALLY needs to directly put the question to Kaz, why he persists with the catch up format with no option for grid starts. Not that we'd get a clear answer, but at least he'd have the question in his mind.

Kaz is like a person who never participated in a race, let alone watched one on TV. Seriously, there is no point at all in single player racing against AI. He should have known better. Don't call it a race. Call it track experience instead because the AI cars are basically non-existent when you have to use a much faster car.

After about 5 hours completing all Gold License Tests (except Super License), I'm not that impressed with the PS5 graphics.

Reflections/Shadows on cars have jagged edges, they pop-in and pop out especially in Trial Mountain and Deep Forest Raceway under trees. What an eyesore.

Performance RT is not always 30fps so I'm not gonna use RT anymore even for replay.

I use Thrustmaster T300RS with the latest firmware. Physics are expected from GT franchise but force feedback detail is way too low. Many kerbs are basically dead including sausage kerbs. They don't give the vibration/rumble you expected.

Lack of even basic steering wheel settings.

Demonstration Ghost Lap is much faster than Gold Lap Time.

Yet another era of dumb rolling start racing.

Only online races will keep me entertained after the License Tests.

That's the craziest part, Kaz has raced professionally. He knows exactly how real racing works, so as I say, the catch up rolling start format is an "artistic" choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back