Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You leave poop reacts on any comment that has anything good to say about the game nobody's surprised you think it's biased
I mean it’s one thing to disagree and debate on the topic… but just to leave little emoji’s like that on all post you don’t agree on and not even comment is weird in my opinion, but all within the rules I guess.😆

Not that anyone cares, but my final score is 5/10.

There are things I absolutely love, but the game on a whole is fundamentally broken because of micro transactions. Especially considering the core element is to collect cars.

I almost feel like I now have two jobs. One where I earn real money and one where I earn credits in GT7.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

As it celebrates its 25th anniversary, the Gran Turismo franchise finds itself in a bit of an odd position. After a somewhat forgettable Gran Turismo 6 and a rebellious Gran Turismo Sport, a lot of critics have claimed that despite strong sales, the series had lost its way, turning away from many of the founding principles that made it so popular in the first place...
I paid £80 for a beautiful but (yet again) flawed racing game!

Career/campaign mode is non existent, I haven't played the game much due to work but I have already completed all of the cafe menu books and can't seem to work out what I am supposed to do now!! There's a few random races on each track available but definitely no structured championships like in other racing games.
Sport is unplayable due to rubberbanding and cars jumping from one side of the track to another. I know it's not the connection my end!
Buying credits for the game is quite expensive, (although nowhere near as expensive as some mobile games, I admit) There aren't many ways to make fast cash in this game so if I want to buy a 3 million credit porsche I have to go to the ps store and pay even more money, I know it takes time and money to model these cars but I just paid £80 for the game!!!! Give me a break PD.
Now the cafe menu is completed there doesn't seem to be anyway of winning cars.
The mission races are quite frankly boring, especially the "save fuel" missions, I play games for excitement not to drive round a track at 2 mph over and over again!
There's less ability to lower your cars or adjust cockpit mode than there were in GTsport!
Race modifications doesn't seem to have appeared!
And tbh I'm expecting the new cars and tracks to come few and far between!
Polyphony promised great things with gt5 and gt6 but they soon dropped off a cliff with those promises, gt5 especially!
And why do they insist in having us race against cars that in real life are never going to race against each other let alone be competitive! Doesn't make any sense!

I remember playing arcade races in previous gt games and constantly racing against an lmp1 vs a Australian touring car vs a 1970 chevrolet corvette race car etc....seriously wtf

It wasn't till gt5 that they increased the number of opponents to above 5 cars!!!!

I've always loved Gran turismo games, they've filled a lot of my childhood and adult years but this constant rehash of the same script is now becoming boring. Apart from playing online there is basically nothing to do!
Other less polished games have had better campaign modes by a lot shot and pretty good graphics to boot. Driveclub and project cars had amazing weather effects even if they didn't have the best car physics, but the made up for that with range of cars and better career modes.
The daily marathon prize only gives one car, money or parts now, and 99% of the time its the smallest amount of coins on offer.
And you don't win cars for every race anymore....its just a ps store purchase orientated game now.
Graphics alone won't save the gt franchise.....or will it? Let's hope an update improves these issues soon because this could be my last Gran turismo purchase!

Verdict - great visuals, car models and handling
But if you want cars go to the ps store and spend some money!

Over an out

Last edited:
When i first clicked the review when it came out I was looking forward to it as surely the review from GTP would be one of the more in depth ones and deeply sum up if it was a good title or not.

The impression I got after reading was that it was one that had been 'approved' by Sony / PD or one written not to potentially jeopardise the relationship between GTP and Sony / PD. Of course this is purely my own feeling on this, I am not claiming it as a fact in any way shape or form, just my initial reaction to reading it.

After seeing the topics on here that have sprung up since release, whilst not doubting there are a few things the game does well, there seems to be a lot that is has got wrong and not much mention of it in the review. This make me wonder why the review gives it 4.5 stars and triumphantly declares the return of the king...

Not that anyone cares, but my final score is 5/10.

There are things I absolutely love, but the game on a whole is fundamentally broken because of micro transactions. Especially considering the core element is to collect cars.

I almost feel like I now have two jobs. One where I earn real money and one where I earn credits in GT7.
Daaamn, that was generous by me. Since then I’ve deleted the game, and almost threw up thinking about Kaz.

I don’t even know how to score it anymore.

Frankly, I have never fully understood the controversy around connectivity requirements. To be clear, I have a lot of sympathy for those who do not have access to reliable connections. I have no doubt it is a massive headache and would make the game difficult, if not impossible, to enjoy. While it certainly deserves a mention for anyone reading whom it might be an issue, I don't see it as a major headline and would never consider it something that would affect a game's reviewed score.
Boy, this line sure aged like milk.

Boy, this line sure aged like milk.
It did, if you completely ignore the context or point that I was making.

The negative consequences of an online connectivity requirement are obvious. People need to be aware of it and it needs to be acknowledged — which I did — but I would never review any game negatively because of it. That would make about as much sense as saying a Netflix movie is bad because you need to have an internet connection to watch it.

It did, if you completely ignore the context or point that I was making.
The issue is that anyone and their mother could have realized that making an online only game out of an ostensibly single player experience was a bad idea, and that it would behoove a reviewer to point it out and hold it against a game because it wouldn't take much for everyone to have their game be turned into a glorified paperweight. It was a worry in GT Sport too, but it was insulated by the fact that it was a competitive game first off, and a single player campaign bolted onto it later. But in a game designed and advertised as a return to a traditional single player experience? Absolutely, games should be taken to task, negatively, for forcing players to play it in an always online setting when there is little reason to do it other then (as we have a clearer understanding now) to force people to always have the pall of micro-transactions hanging around every action that requires spending of credits.

It just so happened that it took all of two weeks and a bit to realize what would transpire that was crystal clear even going back to GT Sport, and is why I brought the comment back up again now.

The issue is that anyone and their mother could have realized that making an online only game out of an ostensibly single player experience was a bad idea, and that it would behoove a reviewer to point it out and hold it against a game because it wouldn't take much for everyone to have their game be turned into a glorified paperweight. It was a worry in GT Sport too, but it was insulated by the fact that it was a competitive game first off, and a single player campaign bolted onto it later. But in a game designed and advertised as a return to a traditional single player experience? Absolutely, games should be taken to task, negatively, for forcing players to play it in an always online setting when there is little reason to do it other then (as we have a clearer understanding now) to force people to always have the pall of micro-transactions hanging around every action that requires spending of credits.

It just so happened that it took all of two weeks and a bit to realize what would transpire that was crystal clear even going back to GT Sport, and is why I brought the comment back up again now.
A lot of things turn into "glorified paper weights" if they don't have services or infrastructure to back them up. This is a review for a video game, not a ventilator.

You are connecting a lot of dots in an effort to construct a conspiratorial and speculative narrative. For the consumer, it doesn't really matter why the game has a connectivity requirement, they just need to know that it has one. We can speculate about the "why" all day long, but the fact is, unless you were in the room when that decision was made, we don't really know.

A lot of things turn into "glorified paper weights" if they don't have services or infrastructure to back them up.
Huh. Seems strange then that I can go buy a PS3, buy a copy of GT5 and 6, and be able to play the majority of their features even though online servers have been shut down. Not so with GT Sport and potentially 7 - and the only reason why I have this outlook is because we have prior history of what (and more specifically, how fast) Polyphony shuts down server access in previous games. Doesn't exactly bode well for a game that was, as mentioned time and time again, designed around a single player element to the point where online was literally not expanded upon until right before launch as a 'oh hey, this is here too' element. Not exactly that great to have a person's $120 or however much 25th Anniversary physical copy be an effective paperweight because Polyphony decided that always online DRM was a good idea.

You are connecting a lot of dots in an effort to construct a conspiratorial and speculative narrative.
Then what is it then? It sure doesn't seem like the always online requirement is to prevent cheating (more so a knock on effect and something Polyphony can point to as a potential reason even though the locked down nature of the PS4 and 5, and the competitive nature of Sport Mode means that most skill comes down to race-craft and tuning more so then straight line speed that a hybrid'd car ala GT5 could provide) and considering how utterly rampant micro-transactions, and the shoving of those MTX's are in the game at the moment, it sure isn't hard to connect the dots to what the potential likely outcome and narrative is.

For the consumer, it doesn't really matter why the game has a connectivity requirement, they just need to know that it has one.
I'd say it is very important for consumers to know why there is a connectivity requirement, especially if there is a very clear statement, from the developer, before launch, that the game was going to be single player focused. Especially when, as like so many problems with the game at the moment, most of that 'why' eventually loops back around to the in game economy and the micro-transactions.

Look, Jordan, I get it. You're not going to change your review and amend it for the always online thing. That's your prerogative, and I won't fight it. But the fact of the matter is that it was crystal clear from GT Sport onward, and in GT7, that Polyphony continued to insist on always online, specifically for a game that was designed around single player enjoyment. That is a bad move no matter what way the onion's cut, and absolutely should be criticized and reflect on the ultimate review score, and it should be taken as a lesson for next time to criticize games that go on it for no real good reason, especially when it is done the way that GT7 has decided to do them.

The same day as the media embargo ended, both Digital Foundry and Easy Allies reviewers/creators of GT7 videos correctly pointed out how ultimately, what you're given when offline is restrictive with little purpose or reason given. And it raises questions on what ultimately happens when the game goes offline and server support is discontinued. I'd rather not have to think about that in a game that was built, and indeed, a series built, around single player interaction and enjoyment. And that as a reviewer, ultimately it should be a major issue and communicated to the readers, and taken into account when the score is given at the end of the day.

But no use crying over spilled milk, it would be nice to be used as a lesson for next time however.

Last edited:
I knew when I bought the game that it was an online only type of situation.

I'm used to that with games like The Division.

Jordan, or anyone else, do you know WHY it's that way?

I'm curious because PC2 has way more tracks and is much deeper, yet you can play it offline has a single player.

I'm loving GT7 so far but it struck me that the download size is huge. Shouldn't it have a much smaller footprint because it's always online? Is there anything that prohibits them from making it to where you can play your single player custom races without being online?

I really don't understand why people are so mad about the Micro Transactions.

It's there if someone don't wan't to play the game, but wan't to shortcut gettings cars, so what.

I will never used it, but the fact that is there don't brake anything for me :)
Because the game is designed to push them with the stingy race pay outs. $200 or 20 hours minimum of race time to buy 1 car.

Shouldn't it have a much smaller footprint because it's always online?
Only if you wanted to download each car and/or track every race. Which isn't a good idea, so everything does still need to be installed to the console storage.
Is there anything that prohibits them from making it to where you can play your single player custom races without being online?
no lol

It's there if someone don't wan't to play the game, but wan't to shortcut gettings cars, so what.

It is the combination of outrageously expensive credits for real money with very stingy in-game economy and limited content which causes the outrage. People are pissed off they payed 70 pop for a game and then have to grind 20 hours to get the car they want.

Last edited:

Go earn enough credits to buy the McLaren F1 before it leaves the Legends dealerships, come back and tell us how you did it.

That experience should answer your question as to why many consider the economy to be broken.

Go earn enough credits to buy the McLaren F1 before it leaves the Legends dealerships, come back and tell us how you did it.

That experience should answer your question as to why many consider the economy to be broken.
Maybe you are not supposed to buy one of the most expensive car in the game, 14 days after launch. I don't see this as a bad thing, but as a good thing. We allready know that more events will be added later, and you build up economy over time.

Maybe you are not supposed to buy one of the most expensive car in the game, 14 days after launch. I don't see this as a bad thing, but as a good thing.
Then why on earth did PD add it into the rotation for the Legendary Car Dealership (along with the 917k at Cr.18m)?

It also beggars belief that we shouldn't be able to buy a car in a video game (that we've already paid for), your comment also utterly ignores that we do have a way of buying any car that comes up, at any point (and did from day 1), at any cost, in any of the dealerships. It just involves spending an absurd amount of real money.

So yes, you are supposed to buy them, PD made damn sure you could, just in a very predatory and forced manner.
We allready know that more events will be added later, and you build up economy over time.
Yet PD can't tell us what they are and actively put the in game economy back with the last updates.

You launch a game with a solid and considered economy and then you build on it, the only time you should get a pass for not doing so is if it's a free to play title (and most of them are a pox on gaming) or in early access. GT 7 has neither of those excuses.

Last edited:
Yet PD can't tell us what they are and actively put the in game economy back with the last updates.

You launch a game with a solid and considered economy and then you build on it, the only time you should get a pass for not doing so is if it's a free to play title (and most of them are a pox on gaming) or in early access. GT 7 has neither of those excuses.
I don't like games, to be easy, and in my opinion some kind of grind is okay :), if you could get all the best cars in 2 weeks, the game in my opinion would have been a failure, but that's just my personal preference.

I do agree, that where was no need to nerf the income for some races with latest update :-)

I just hope they add more content soon, as i think the lack of endurance races and other content, is a way bigger issue, than the fact, it takes some time, to everything you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back