Gran Turismo 7 Set to Arrive in Second Half of 2021, According to Fanatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it truly isn't planned to release until October/November it's very likely we won't hear anything until May/June sort of time. Basically whenever it is planned for release, expect the announcement of such and start of proper promotion somewhere around 6 months beforehand. Not much more than that.

But where do the two years of delays fit into this timeline?

As I read yesterday in an interview, PD waited for potent hardware for release of the Gran Turismo 7. That meant a „full“ Gran Turismo like in history. Now, they have it and can it release.

First one in September maybe?

As I read yesterday in an interview, PD waited for potent hardware for release of the Gran Turismo 7. That meant a „full“ Gran Turismo like in history. Now, they have it and can it release.

It's a lame excuse. PS4 is magnitudes more powerful than any preceding Playstation. If they could manage a "full" game on those there is no reason they couldn't on PS4.

First one in September maybe?

It's a lame excuse. PS4 is magnitudes more powerful than any preceding Playstation. If they could manage a "full" game on those there is no reason they couldn't on PS4.
Yes, but not with next gen raytracing, etc. That’s the point.

Riiiiiiight. That wasn't a first party Sony developer talking up the new hardware that their parent company is selling or anything obvious like that, it was an honest admission that the PS4, until very recently the most powerful Playstation console made, was somehow not suitable for a "full" game like the ones that they released on the PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Would you like to phone a friend or is that your final answer?

Yes, but not with next gen raytracing, etc. That’s the point.

Oh right, it's not a "full" GT game without ray tracing. Well we can all look forward to the first ever "full" Gran Turismo game! I sure hope I like this new series that I've apparently never played a real game of before.

Riiiiiiight. That wasn't a first party Sony developer talking up the new hardware that their parent company is selling or anything obvious like that, it was an honest admission that the PS4, until very recently the most powerful Playstation console made, was somehow not suitable for a "full" game like the ones that they released on the PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Would you like to phone a friend or is that your final answer?

Oh right, it's not a "full" GT game without ray tracing. Well we can all look forward to the first ever "full" Gran Turismo game! I sure hope I like this new series that I've apparently never played a real game of before.
No, I meant a „full“ next gen GT game.

PD had the intention to develop GT Sport over a couple of years of the PS4's lifecycle, Kazunori stated this before GT Sport was released. They didn't quite hit what he was aiming for in those early interviews, but they did support GT Sport for over 2 years with additional content and features. They could easilly have developed GT7 instead of GT Sport on PS4, but the timing of the development alongside the life cycle of technology and consoles dictated that it made sense to develop GT7 for the PS5 instead of PS4.

It's a business decision, not a technological one. If the PS5 and XBX hadn't come out in December and were still 2 or more years off we'd be seeing GT7 beign developed for the PS4. It wouldn't be the same, of course not, it wouldn't have Ray Tracing and the other bells and whistles, but they'd be making it for the PS4.

Last edited:
Nowhere, because that was a one time thing that happened over a decade ago that we should be over by now. I think we're relying too much (myself included) on past trends when the situations are different now. Ease and familiarity of development going from PS4 to 5 should make this a much quicker process that is much less prone to complications.

There are people here who hold out absolutely no hope for the GT series so I don't understand why you're still in the community, to be frank (yes I'm making the "if you don't like it, don't play" argument). These sims with their A.I., physics, and moddability, Forza with its huge capacity for churning out content while providing a similar experience to GT...all of this stuff is available to you to take the depressing state of the GT series off your mind. Yes yes, it's a forum, you can say what you want but doesn't it get tiring being so pessimistic when you seem confident nothing will ever change? By the rare chance someone working on GT comes across these debby downer posts, nothing productive will come from their reading them. You're just aimlessly spreading a mindset of negativity.

Last edited:
PD had the intention to develop GT Sport over a couple of years of the PS4's lifecycle, Kazunori stated this before GT Sport was released. They didn't quite hit what he was aiming for in those early interviews, but they did support GT Sport for over 2 years with additional content and features. They could easilly have developed GT7 instead of GT Sport on PS4, but the timing of the development alongside the life cycle of technology and consoles dictated that it made sense to develop GT7 for the PS5 instead of PS4.

It's a business decision, not a technological one. If the PS5 and XBX hadn't come out in December and were still 2 or more years off we'd be seeing GT7 beign developed for the PS4. It wouldn't be the same, of course not, it wouldn't have Ray Tracing and the other bells and whistles, but they'd be making it for the PS4.
Yes, I hope so, they take the new PS5 base and invents it over the next years, like a Windows 10, as example. Of course, the start should be not failed.
GT Sport was coming unfavorable for a planned„service“-game on a console, to far away from base-release and to near to new hardware-Generation. Its not a PC where you can change the components, that’s the problem.

Which means what, to you?
PD had the dream, to bring out a GT game Absolutly realistic. To get that with lighntning etc., you definitely need better hardware as the PS4. How bad the CPU is, you can see now at Cyberpunk, this is the limitations. You can’t get next gen on the PS4 base. The last console generation was at start with old technology at that stand.
So, PD had gotten everything out of the PS4 base what they could. Very good! But for further features like dynamic wheather etc, there isn’t more possible. Than you have to take down some other points, like the graphic, what noone would..

Last edited by a moderator:
PD had the dream, to bring out a GT game Absolutly realistic. To get that with lighntning etc., you definitely need better hardware as the PS4. How bad the CPU is, you can see now at Cyberpunk, this is the limitations. You can’t get next gen on the PS4 base. The last console generation was at start with old technology at that stand.
So, PD had gotten everything out of the PS4 base what they could. Very good! But for further features like dynamic wheather etc, there isn’t more possible. Than you have to take down some other points, like the graphic, what noone would..

Something tells me I'll be able to edit this post, change PS4 to PS5, and quote it in 6 years and it'll be pretty accurate for what people are claiming at that point.

I know, because people said the same thing about PS3...and PS2.

Something tells me I'll be able to edit this post, change PS4 to PS5, and quote it in 6 years and it'll be pretty accurate for what people are claiming at that point.

I know, because people said the same thing about PS3...and PS2.
Yes, you are right, but now we get to a point with the photorealistic, what GT Sport is, that there is anytime a end for simple better graphics. For example the smartphones, what get better the last years? The cameras, because of all is on such a high level, the customer can’t realizes. Look a PS3 game on today, I took last week GT6 in my 4K TV, there are worlds today between GT Sport or GT7 and them

No, I meant a „full“ next gen GT game.

Oh, so you were actually making the completely meaningless statement that a next gen game could only be made on a next gen console.

Nowhere, because that was a one time thing that happened over a decade ago that we should be over by now.

Oh, you poor young chicken. Started with GT5, did you?

Polyphony has delayed every single Gran Turismo game to a greater or lesser degree. All of them.
GT1, GT2 and GT3 were delayed a few months.
GT4 had the idea of Prologues invented to tide people over while it was delayed, and then was delayed even more.
GT5 is legendary for being repeatedly delayed.
GTPSP was so delayed that for quite a while everyone just assumed that it was vapourware.
The GT6 delay was trivial, but then the lack of content at launch and the length of time to actually get all the advertised features in meant that it probably should have been delayed for at least another year. If anything it's the exception that proves the rule because Polyphony will delay a game before they have another release like GT6.
GTS was delayed almost a year.

Explain more to me about how this is a "one time thing that happened over a decade ago". This is what Polyphony does, and when they eventually give a hard release date everyone would do well to assume that it won't be out until at least six months after that.

I think we're relying too much (myself included) on past trends when the situations are different now. Ease and familiarity of development going from PS4 to 5 should make this a much quicker process that is much less prone to complications.

People have been saying this about Polyphony for literal decades.

There are people here who hold out absolutely no hope for the GT series so I don't understand why you're still in the community, to be frank (yes I'm making the "if you don't like it, don't play" argument). These sims with their A.I., physics, and moddability, Forza with its huge capacity for churning out content while providing a similar experience to GT...all of this stuff is available to you to take the depressing state of the GT series off your mind.

Yes, and that's what I play and those games are excellent but they are not Gran Turismo.

I didn't buy GT Sport because I already own iRacing and I didn't need another one. But that doesn't mean that I'm not a fan of what the series was in it's heyday (I own every other GT, after all, even GT6) and what I think it could still be if treated well. You say I have no hope, I say I'm still here because I have some hope for what GT could be even if it's frustrating to see that potential squandered. To be fair, GTS seemed like it did some good things even outside the questionable online focus, and so design-wise I'm actually reasonably hopeful for GT7. But Polyphony still be Polyphony, and there's bound to be a whole bunch of baggage surrounding some core brilliance and that usually starts with their complete inability to hit a release date.

Yes yes, it's a forum, you can say what you want but doesn't it get tiring being so pessimistic when you seem confident nothing will ever change?

No. See above for the incorrect assumption you're making about what I think about Gran Turismo.

By the rare chance someone working on GT comes across these debby downer posts, nothing productive will come from their reading them. You're just aimlessly spreading a mindset of negativity.

Aww, did I make you feel bad because I said mean things about your favourite game?

Things don't get better because you pretend that everything is fine and dandy. Good developers listen to the concerns of their communities and decide whether they want to address them or not. Good developers value clear and consistent communication with their players. Good developers want people to speak up about what they could be doing better because they value their craft.

It's fine to give people a pat on the back if you think they did a good job, but remember that these are professional adults; if there is legitimate criticism to be made about their game then they can take it. They're not children and they don't need you to fight their battles for them. If you have an argument to make, make it for yourself rather than white knighting for Polyphony.

How bad the CPU is, you can see now at Cyberpunk, this is the limitations.

No, you can see what happens with a developer that doesn't take the target hardware into consideration when designing the game. Cyberpunk could have run fine on PS4 (after all, the game was announced before the PS4 released), just not this particular version of Cyberpunk. But making software that is too much for the hardware to handle isn't difficult, any random scriptkiddie can do that. Building a game that fits your vision and runs well on the given hardware is difficult.

Polyphony had the same failing with GT5 (and to a lesser extent GT6), the hardware simply wasn't capable of doing what they asked it to. And so instead of adapting and making a game that would run well, they just went ahead anyway with a game that chugged.

If Polyphony wanted, they could do the same with PS5. They could make a game that tried to do too much and ran like crap. I don't think they will, they've learned their lesson from the PS3 era and they seem to actually be putting smooth performance as a priority. But the PS5 is not special, it has limits and they can be overwhelmed by bad design. A PS5 Gran Turismo game won't be "absolutely realistic", it will be a sensible compromise of what Polyphony thinks will add most to the gameplay and experience without overwhelming the hardware.

Yes, you are right, but now we get to a point with the photorealistic, what GT Sport is, that there is anytime a end for simple better graphics.

You think games can't get any better looking than GTS? Hmm. It's a good looking game for sure, but I feel like there's plenty there to be improved.

If you're referring to the latest interview with Kaz, he just said they were waiting for console hardware capable of ray-tracing, which is strictly about where they want to go with graphics. It has nothing to do with a "full" GT game, and Kaz never implied as such.

You're all missing the point. This will be the FIRST Gran Turismo game, EVER, in the history of the franchise... to be on PS5. Can you believe it?! The first Gran Turismo game ever on the PS5.

Just like GTS was the first GT game EVER to be on PS4. NEVER EVER, in the history of the franchise, has there been a Gran Turismo game on the PS4. Groundbreaking!

all of that
No. I've been playing since GT3 and have the reading comprehension skills to look back on what the first 2 were like. Cute condescending remark there buddy.

All I've ever seen from you is crapping on GT without having anything constructive to back it up. I think my assumption about what you think is fair. Only now that I've said something about it do you have something constructive to add. And now I thank you for explaining your pessimism about the series while also sounding like the fan I suppose you are that sees the potential in it going forward. You make good points.

And you're right; GT is my favorite game series, you got me! I very often express my gripes here though and can get behind a well-formulated negative post. It's just draining to see, as I said, aimless negatively which is often in your GT related posts.

No. I've been playing since GT3 and have the reading comprehension skills to look back on what the first 2 were like. Cute condescending remark there buddy.

Your profile says you're 22. You were playing GT3 when you were 3 years old? Righto. Pull the other one, it has bells on and comes with prizes.

But for the sake of argument, let me take you at your word. You've been playing since GT3 and have a good understanding of what happened before that as well. Explain how the statement "it was a one time thing" makes any sense with regards to delays. You starting at GT5 was an out for how you could feel like that was true, if you know the history of GT and you were playing through GT3 and GT4 then you were just lying? Is this somehow better than simply being young, which isn't a negative and you have no control over?

All I've ever seen from you is crapping on GT without having anything constructive to back it up. I think my assumption about what you think is fair. Only now that I've said something about it do you have something constructive to add.

I have 11,000+ posts here. Be honest, you didn't read them all or even a significant portion of them. You're not psychic either, and so you saying that you know better than me about what I think is just insane. Pants on head bonkers. See a doctor.

I still haven't said anything particularly constructive. There's little constructive to say about GT7 at this point because it's not out, you can't make constructive criticism of something that doesn't exist. I have opinions about what I hope it will be and what I expect it will be just like everyone else. Based on history and what I hope that Gran Turismo 7 will become, there's at best a solid foundation if people want to be skeptical and take some cheap shots at well established Polyphony-isms, like delays. Polyphony earned that reputation, and they can :censored:ing wear it like a badge of honour until they do something to change it.

And now I thank you for explaining your pessimism about the series while also sounding like the fan I suppose you are that sees the potential in it going forward. You make good points.

Thank you so much for begrudgingly admitting that you suppose I'm a fan. It means so very much to me to have the recognition of JTB10000 from the internets. I wasn't sure if I really liked the game or not, but your approval really gives me the confidence that I need to post here on GTPlanet.

I know you're trying to keep something positive in your post, but the backhanded compliments really undermine what you're going for.

And you're right; GT is my favorite game series, you got me! I very often express my gripes here though and can get behind a well-formulated negative post. It's just draining to see, as I said, aimless negatively which is often in your GT related posts.

See, my job here is not to make you feel good. It's an internet forum, so part of what I'm here for is banter and having a good time. And the other part is talking about a game series that I have a strong historical connection to and feel should be leading it's section of the genre hands down like it used to. And that means often being critical of it, because I feel that while right now GT is on an upswing it's coming from a very low place after GT5 and GT6. If you don't like that then put me on ignore and you won't see my posts, but I'm not adding in extra positive commentary into every post just to make people like you feel better. You can see that my posts are generally far too long already.

Your profile says you're 22. You were playing GT3 when you were 3 years old? Righto. Pull the other one, it has bells on and comes with prizes.

But for the sake of argument, let me take you at your word. You've been playing since GT3 and have a good understanding of what happened before that as well. Explain how the statement "it was a one time thing" makes any sense with regards to delays. You starting at GT5 was an out for how you could feel like that was true, if you know the history of GT and you were playing through GT3 and GT4 then you were just lying? Is this somehow better than simply being young, which isn't a negative and you have no control over?

I have 11,000+ posts here. Be honest, you didn't read them all or even a significant portion of them. You're not psychic either, and so you saying that you know better than me about what I think is just insane. Pants on head bonkers. See a doctor.

I still haven't said anything particularly constructive. There's little constructive to say about GT7 at this point because it's not out, you can't make constructive criticism of something that doesn't exist. I have opinions about what I hope it will be and what I expect it will be just like everyone else. Based on history and what I hope that Gran Turismo 7 will become, there's at best a solid foundation if people want to be skeptical and take some cheap shots at well established Polyphony-isms, like delays. Polyphony earned that reputation, and they can :censored:ing wear it like a badge of honour until they do something to change it.

Thank you so much for begrudgingly admitting that you suppose I'm a fan. It means so very much to me to have the recognition of JTB10000 from the internets. I wasn't sure if I really liked the game or not, but your approval really gives me the confidence that I need to post here on GTPlanet.

I know you're trying to keep something positive in your post, but the backhanded compliments really undermine what you're going for.

See, my job here is not to make you feel good. It's an internet forum, so part of what I'm here for is banter and having a good time. And the other part is talking about a game series that I have a strong historical connection to and feel should be leading it's section of the genre hands down like it used to. And that means often being critical of it, because I feel that while right now GT is on an upswing it's coming from a very low place after GT5 and GT6. If you don't like that then put me on ignore and you won't see my posts, but I'm not adding in extra positive commentary into every post just to make people like you feel better. You can see that my posts are generally far too long already.
Being all snarky was fun but I'm just going reply straight now because this needs to de-escalate.

In order by paragraph:

GT3 was among the first video games I played, not right at its release but in the gap between it and GT4. I wasn't lying there. And I put many hours into every main subsequent release.

For my one time thing comment, I was specifically focused on GT5 and its crazy long delay. I didn't know the exact amount of time they were delayed but I knew they weren't as bad as GT5 so I didn't consider them. I don't like that I said that now that you break it down. You phrased what you said like you were looking down on me because of my age though, or at least that's what it felt like.

I never said I know you better than yourself, just that it was a personal assumption I felt was fair based on what I've seen.

I more meant constructive towards the series as a whole, and not GT7, which would be silly since we know almost nothing about it.

Why, of course. After all, my opinion matters most.

No but I actually do like how you explained yourself and agree that it was tonally weird to add the backhandedness. I just like how it sounded tbh.

Agree, I too feel GTS is a step in the right direction in many ways from the PS3 GT's. And yep, this is a forum and you can have fun and express yourself in any way you like.

Is this too much of a change of heart? Idk I'm tired. Hope GT7 is going as PD planned and they can release it this year.

Last edited:
Main reason why GT Sport looks near identical to GT7 is because it used Baked Ray-tracing, where GT7 is using it in Realtime, dynamically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back