Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.23 Now Available: Adds New Cars, Menu Books, Races, and Scapes

• Thread starter Famine
  • 805 comments
The time zone switch, I could see that slipping by, but you mean to tell me that all the time they spend testing before release they did not catch the extra menu bug?! 🤔 there's always one mole right?! Lol

That was great. Was even more amazed it lasted over a week.
Are you new to PD? Release a patch to fix bugs then patch that patch because you introduced more bugs has been their MO for years.

They're seemingly doing it again tomorrow patching the game crashing issues introduced in the last patch. They didn't catch that in testing either.

Last edited:
Are you new to PD? Release a patch to fix bugs then patch that patch because you introduced more bugs has been their MO for years.

They're seemingly doing it again tomorrow patching the game crashing issues introduced in the last patch. They didn't catch that in testing either.
Not new to pd by any means. Im not taking it that serious either. Highly doubt "mole scenario"..

Its almost to be expected with "add on" style content that does NOT have enough test" time. Happens with alot of games right?

Im thankful 🙏 in their little errors that benefit us, 1.17 made up everyone happy for a couple weeks..

Again, not surprised they are already releasing another bugfix after the monthly "update".
Also happens with alot of titles..

Its lacking what previous titles offered, but I still play, do the same few payout races, and collect my measly daily coins.

The fixation about selling cars these people have, they gona be in for a surprise when finally get it, most probably the only cars you can sell is the ones you bought and for about 5000 cr or so

I didn't like the last 2 updates (some cars are nice btw) but it's not that worse to cry about it that much get a grip ffs
I agree. At some point there will be a sell feature that pays 10% of prices, rather than actual prices.
The game economy is rigged to favour micro transactions over car prices low enough to allow progression without grinding. That doesn’t bode well for a sale feature. If it ever comes it will be just as rigged and PD will tick off the feature as „done“.

I get Sony want to make gazillions but I’m disappointed Kaz let them butcher GT for it. He should have walked like Kojima when his publisher Konami kept interfering in his process. I don’t believe Kaz agrees with the MTs but he did sign it off.

What’s there now is not the spirit of GT, it’s a commercial perversion of it.

Last edited:
mef
I agree. At some point there will be a sell feature that pays 10% of prices, rather than actual prices.
The game economy is rigged to favour micro transactions over car prices low enough to allow progression without grinding. That doesn’t bode well for a sale feature. If it ever comes it will be just as rigged and PD will tick off the feature as „done“.

I get Sony want to make gazillions but I’m disappointed Kaz let them butcher GT for it. He should have walked like Kojima when his publisher Konami kept interfering in his process. I don’t believe Kaz agrees with the MTs but he did sign it off.

Who knows, maybe it's exactly what he wanted for years.

Why? What has Kaz said or done over the years to suggest he doesn't agree with MTs? Do you not believe GT HD iTunes like service was his idea?
i always thought of Kaz as a car guy and nickel and dining is not the spirit of building a friendship to your customers.
But alas you are right in that both GTS and GT7 now have a paywall for a good number of cars, the 20m ones especially.
Maybe he has graduated from being a racer to being a corporate man. I understand there is a responsibility of keeping the lights on and being profitable and to provide jobs for your employees, and that aspect may be on Kaz’s mind ie Japanese honor type considerations ( I’m married to a Japanese so know some about it ).
But all said, I wished the game is in a different state. There must have been another option than alienating a lot of old time fans.

Last edited:
mef
i always thought of Kaz as a car guy and nickel and dining is not the spirit of building a friendship to your customers.
But alas you are right in that both GTS and GT7 now have a paywall for a good number of cars, the 20m ones especially.
Maybe he has graduated from being a racer to being a corporate man. I understand there is a responsibility of keeping the lights on and being profitable and to provide jobs for your employees, and that aspect may be on Kaz’s mind ie Japanese honor type considerations ( I’m married to a Japanese so know some about it ).
But all said, I wished the game is in a different state. There must have been another option than alienating a lot of old time fans.
GT5 and 6 also had this issue with the 20m Cr cars. There is a very clear pattern here that has been present for quite some time in the GT series.

mef
Paywall? What paywall? I have every car in the game and I haven't had to spend a cent over my original purchase price for the game.

Grindwall though...

Paywall? What paywall? I have every car in the game and I haven't had to spend a cent over my original purchase price for the game.

Grindwall though...
Ya, and you didn't use a Tomahawk for that, right? And you don't have to do the same 3-4 races over and over again that actually payout because they thought they'd suppress the complaining during one month while going back to crappy payouts ever since then.
Right?
Ya, I have all the cars too. Well, I'm not buying a safety car so there's that.

Ya, and you didn't use a Tomahawk for that, right? And you don't have to do the same 3-4 races over and over again that actually payout because they thought they'd suppress the complaining during one month while going back to crappy payouts ever since then.
Right?
Ya, I have all the cars too. Well, I'm not buying a safety car so there's that.
So where's the paywall? :confused: I noted there was a grindwall so I'm not sure what you're on about.

So where's the paywall? :confused: I noted there was a grindwall so I'm not sure what you're on about.
People who, God bless their hearts, actually buy this thing today or from here on out sure will be looking at somewhat of a paywall seeing as these exploits are now gone. Legends Dealer with cars at 20 million already and an up arrow? There always was a grind to the game but when is enough enough? You have to call this stuff out. Can you even imagine starting all over and having to do the same races that payout over and over again just to save up 20 mill for one stupid car? All the while not buying parts or tires for anything else to cut into that grind? Those who have and want to buy this stuff with real money will have the content and those that can't will suffer the consequences of the format of GT7.

People who, God bless their hearts, actually buy this thing today or from here on out sure will be looking at somewhat of a paywall seeing as these exploits are now gone. Legends Dealer with cars at 20 million already and an up arrow? There always was a grind to the game but when is enough enough? You have to call this stuff out. Can you even imagine starting all over and having to do the same races that payout over and over again just to save up 20 mill for one stupid car? All the while not buying parts or tires for anything else to cut into that grind? Those who have and want to buy this stuff with real money will have the content and those that can't will suffer the consequences of the format of GT7.
Still not a paywall... and I never said I liked or agreed with having to grind ;)

Edit: I'll add that I also think locking things behind the stupid ticket system sucks, but as you can't purchase them with real money it's still not a paywall.

Last edited:
Paywall = can ONLY be gotten by paying for it.

Grindwall = (new term for me but clearly means) can be obtained by spending loads of time repeating the same actions.

Hopefully you can see your mistake of saying GT7 has paywalls as it clearly doesn’t.

None of the content is put behind a paywall, even if people try to convince themselves that there is to access all the cars. It's probably why I haven't complained that much about the microtransactions. They aren't anywhere near as predatory compared to online gambling sites and many, many mobile games which basically say, "if you don't pay, you will get left behind by those who do". I played Clash of Clans for a while and one of the main incentives for purchasing "gems" was time saving. If you spent some real money to buy a fistful of them, you could instantly upgrade your defenses and troops without having to wait like a plebeian. It's not a paywall but it might as well be because not paying puts you at a genuine disadvantage compared to your foes. GT7 doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Here's another new term for you. Crapwall. It's the wall that GT7 is stuck behind. :P
Not many would disagree with you on this one.

The f2p modle that PD has implemented in GT7 is beyond a joke. The design is an obvious one that’s there to push players into purchasing mtx by creating a long, slow and monotonous grind to gain credits and ltd cars to ungovernable players the urge to skip the grind and open your wallet instead.

It’s also a massive factor to why they won’t let you sell cars for instant credits yet.

No paywall. But a system that’s crud for 99% of end users.

Personally - I’ve never purchased mtx and I’m very unlikely to just on principle alone.

Last edited:
mef
I wouldn't pretend to know Kaz and his true intentions because I obviously do not know the man, so I can only judge based on his previous actions and public statements.

The only statement he's ever made that could even possibly be described as anything close to anti-MT is when he said GT Sport wouldn't contain any. However, he didn't elaborate in the same way some other anti-MT devs have. He didn't say he was staunchly against them or anything of the sort, and we all know the u-turn that came when GTS did add them.

I also like to go back to GT HD because the business was very different back in 2004. DLC as a concept existed as far back as the Dreamcast but it was not prevalent. PC games had updates that were in the form of completely new discs you bought in the shops. Most games were not even online at all, and if they were, the concept of MTs or anything similar was not prevalent at all. I'm sure they did exist in some form in PC games but it wasn't something that publishers industry wide were pushing.

So when Kaz got up on stage and told the world that GT HD would feature an iTunes-like service where pretty much all cars and tracks, as well as features like damage, would be sold separately at a huge cost I cannot believe that was anything to do with Sony. Sony didn't even have their own digital music store back then, they were busy sticking rootkits on CDs, so I really can't believe the idea was foisted upon him. He saw the new shiny iTunes service, and liked the idea to sell digital cars.

He just strikes me as someone who sees something he really likes and gets an impulse to add it to GT. Remember GT6, with the three stars system? We got that because Kaz in development had got obsessed with the mobile game Bad Piggies. Guess what system it had?

Also worth noting there in that interview he says he loved his iPad and iPad games in general. Guess what iPad games are full of? MTs, FOMO and random rewards/loot boxes....

Again, there is also the lack of evidence of Sony generally pushing their studios to include systems like this. Horizon Forbidden West launched at essentially the exact same time as GT7, and it doesn't have any shady practices like GT7. Sure, it's not a live service title nor does it have multiplayer, but there are still plenty of ways Sony could've forced monetisation into it. Just ask EA. But they didn't, nor have they in any other first party Sony titles. MLB The Show remains the only other current game with MTs.

In short, until I see any clear evidence of Kaz stating his personal dislike for MTs, FOMO or random roulettes I'll have no choice but to believe they were all his decision, or at the very least, he happily signed off on the ideas from his dev team and wasn't forced by Sony.

He just strikes me as someone who sees something he really likes and gets an impulse to add it to GT.
If only he wouldn't continously ditch those ideas in the very next game. Think Course Maker, B-Spec, Shuffle Mode, Clubs, a bunch more I can't think of right now...

I wouldn't pretend to know Kaz and his true intentions because I obviously do not know the man, so I can only judge based on his previous actions and public statements.

The only statement he's ever made that could even possibly be described as anything close to anti-MT is when he said GT Sport wouldn't contain any. However, he didn't elaborate in the same way some other anti-MT devs have. He didn't say he was staunchly against them or anything of the sort, and we all know the u-turn that came when GTS did add them.

I also like to go back to GT HD because the business was very different back in 2004. DLC as a concept existed as far back as the Dreamcast but it was not prevalent. PC games had updates that were in the form of completely new discs you bought in the shops. Most games were not even online at all, and if they were, the concept of MTs or anything similar was not prevalent at all. I'm sure they did exist in some form in PC games but it wasn't something that publishers industry wide were pushing.

So when Kaz got up on stage and told the world that GT HD would feature an iTunes-like service where pretty much all cars and tracks, as well as features like damage, would be sold separately at a huge cost I cannot believe that was anything to do with Sony. Sony didn't even have their own digital music store back then, they were busy sticking rootkits on CDs, so I really can't believe the idea was foisted upon him. He saw the new shiny iTunes service, and liked the idea to sell digital cars.

He just strikes me as someone who sees something he really likes and gets an impulse to add it to GT. Remember GT6, with the three stars system? We got that because Kaz in development had got obsessed with the mobile game Bad Piggies. Guess what system it had?

Also worth noting there in that interview he says he loved his iPad and iPad games in general. Guess what iPad games are full of? MTs, FOMO and random rewards/loot boxes....

Again, there is also the lack of evidence of Sony generally pushing their studios to include systems like this. Horizon Forbidden West launched at essentially the exact same time as GT7, and it doesn't have any shady practices like GT7. Sure, it's not a live service title nor does it have multiplayer, but there are still plenty of ways Sony could've forced monetisation into it. Just ask EA. But they didn't, nor have they in any other first party Sony titles. MLB The Show remains the only other current game with MTs.

In short, until I see any clear evidence of Kaz stating his personal dislike for MTs, FOMO or random roulettes I'll have no choice but to believe they were all his decision, or at the very least, he happily signed off on the ideas from his dev team and wasn't forced by Sony.
Great post mate. I feel a little deflated reading this about Kaz, my post was trying to justify MTs with a need to keep his studio going but perhaps your post is correct. It certainly contains facts whereas mine was wishful thinking.

mef
Great post mate. I feel a little deflated reading this about Kaz, my post was trying to justify MTs with a need to keep his studio going but perhaps your post is correct. It certainly contains facts whereas mine was wishful thinking.
There were 3 months in 2020 where Activision Blizzard made $1'200'000'000 - yes, 1.2 billion dollars - in microtransactions alone. Not sales. Not DLC. Not merchandise. Microtransactions.

The video game industry is currently bigger than music and movies combined. Grand Theft Auto V is literally the single most profitable product in the history of all entertainment. Cash flow in top video games in recent years is impossible to overstate.

I guarantee you there isn't a single AAA studio that needs to use microtransactions to "keep going". Sales alone these days are easily enough to have a AAA title break even within a week after release. Developers/publishers of AAA titles use microtransactions because they can make even more money, and it's unbelievably efficient. Video game companies sell games because they make money off of them. If they don't make money, it's bad business.
Most of many of the highest-profile games' budgets in the last decade or so went to marketing instead of actual development, with the most egregious case being Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) - $40-50 million development vs $200 million marketing.

There is positively no way to justify microtransactions in video games that have an initial purchase price, let alone in a AAA €/$70 first party PlayStation title.

Last edited:
It’s kind of a shame that the Nissan Silvia is so closely tied to drifting culture, because the S14 is an excellent little workhorse with just a few simple upgrade parts installed. At this point it’s more satisfying than a stock R33 GT-R to be honest.

mef

Eh, money talks. It may very well be that the decision to have, or not have MTX’s is above Kaz’s pay grade. But “assuming” that it is within his control, I can’t really blame him. The statistics more or less show that most people don’t progress very far in the game (any game really), before they lose interest. If someone waved a few million dollars in front of my face, and the price was that’d I’d piss off maybe 10% of the player base…(which at least 80% of that 10% will still buy the next title, regardless of their feelings towards PD), It would take me all of 5 minutes to decide I was in favor. It’s a numbers game.

I now pay $40 per bag on a few airlines, or $50 bucks for priority boarding on Southwest because you can no longer pick where you sit when you make a reservation. Didn’t have to do that 15 years ago. Business has changed the past 20 years.

Last edited:
There were 3 months in 2020 where Activision Blizzard made $1'200'000'000 - yes, 1.2 billion dollars - in microtransactions alone. Not sales. Not DLC. Not merchandise. Microtransactions.

The video game industry is currently bigger than music and movies combined. Grand Theft Auto V is literally the single most profitable product in the history of all entertainment. Cash flow in top video games in recent years is impossible to overstate.

I guarantee you there isn't a single AAA studio that needs to use microtransactions to "keep going". Sales alone these days are easily enough to have a AAA title break even within a week after release. Developers/publishers of AAA titles use microtransactions because they can make even more money, and it's unbelievably efficient. Video game companies sell games because they make money off of them. If they don't make money, it's bad business.
Most of many of the highest-profile games' budgets in the last decade or so went to marketing instead of actual development, with the most egregious case being Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) - $40-50 million development vs $200 million marketing.

There is positively no way to justify microtransactions in video games that have an initial purchase price, let alone in a AAA €/$70 first party PlayStation title.
Thank the gods for intelligent and business-minded people like you. This is the reason why Sony and Microsoft have been buying so many game studios. And that's why there isn't a single game without MTX's anymore. In the end, it's all business.

The thing that is not ok is doing business while delivering half-baked products. They just don't deserve to earn as well as well made pieces of art. For example, I would be keen on spending more money on a game like GT4 rather than on GT7.

Thank the gods for intelligent and business-minded people like you. This is the reason why Sony and Microsoft have been buying so many game studios. And that's why there isn't a single game without MTX's anymore. In the end, it's all business.
There's plenty of successful smash hits without MTX on Playstation like Elden Ring, God of War, or Horizon Forbidden West.

It's entirely on PD that they chose to focus on monetization instead of making a fully featured game from the get go, counting on their idea of "live service" drip feed to keep players engaged.

It’s kind of a shame that the Nissan Silvia is so closely tied to drifting culture, because the S14 is an excellent little workhorse with just a few simple upgrade parts installed. At this point it’s more satisfying than a stock R33 GT-R to be honest.
It's a great car to drive considering it's age.

I only just noticed in the patch notes they added support for rotary encoders on Fanatec wheels, wasn't expecting that, nice surprise :)
Has anyone actually gotten their rotary encoders to function, now that they are officially supported?
I can't get the Rotary Encoders to function on my Fanatec F1 2018 Limited Edition rim on my GT DD Pro (only for GT7.. they work in other games and within the PC Driver dashboard)

Back