Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 vs. Gran Turismo Sport: Side-by-Side Screenshots

When Sony released a batch of 4K Gran Turismo 7 screenshots of the new pre-order cars last week we were suitably impressed. Though it’s never really been in doubt, it showed that GT7 would be right up there when it comes to visuals...

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 vs. Gran Turismo Sport: Side-by-Side Screenshots

When Sony released a batch of 4K Gran Turismo 7 screenshots of the new pre-order cars last week we were suitably impressed. Though it’s never really been in doubt, it showed that GT7 would be right up there when it comes to visuals...
We may well be near the point where video game graphics get so close to real life, the only changes are very subtle. I struggle to tell which of these is GTS and GT7, but both are beautiful.

We may well be near the point where video game graphics get so close to real life, the only changes are very subtle. I struggle to tell which of these is GTS and GT7, but both are beautiful.
Mainly due to the fact that I'm evil, it's GTS left and GT7 right in every gallery in the post... but the header image is the other way round :D

I think the main difference will be due to the new weather system (the clouds will probably cast a shadow on the road), also mirrors will reflect objects at a longer distance. Minor changes. But the overall track details like models will be almost identical.
Cars are already great in GTS, so...

Last edited:
nope gt sport/gt7 is far from photorealism and this pictures don't represent gameplay graphics

I think I actually prefer GTS's shadows, particularly on the underbody and underside of the tires. The darkness to me helps establish that the tires are actually touching the ground, an illusion that a lot of driving games struggle to recreate. The rest of the lighting effects definitely look more accurate but GTS definitely does tire shadows and reflections better. The glowing undersides of tires on GT7's photos are particularly awkward.

Last edited:
That looks like a game+graphics driver update. Not anywhere near "next gen". Certainly, these very subtle improvements arent worth $500.

When racing, no one will notice any of that. I remember switching from GT2 to GT3. THAT was a difference.

Last edited:
@emula did a great comparison shot also..
The point still stands, best comparison done on this forum so far, and by a long shot really. These ones are much more accurate in comparison in almost every detail.

Last edited:
Ah yes. We believe in generations… I mean cross gen.

Jokes aside, I’m happy for the people that want to play this game on the ps4.

GT Sport already looks amazing in 4K, i can't wait to see GT7 with my own eyes. If they only improve shadows, LODs and use photomode car models during gameplay then i'll be set.

Great comparison shots aswell. 👍

That looks like a game+graphics driver update. Not anywhere near "next gen". Certainly, these very subtle improvements arent worth $500.

When racing, no one will notice any of that. I remember switching from GT2 to GT3. THAT was a difference.
Because GT2 was an era where the graphics are very boxy? And GT3's graphics are what'd you see in PS3 GT's standard cars.

Great work on the images.

It's impossible to get solid analysis from scapes though, the white balance and colour temps are different, but interesting. As others have said, the most important comparisons will come when we see the game engine in motion. Pretty sure it'll only go to prove that the lighting system has been updated, along with the shader system though. To be clear, both are impressive.

I hope when the next round of questioning happens with Kaz, that he can be asked if the replays will lock to 60fps, more so on a technical aspect for the PS5. He's gone to great lengths to build stunning cars/lighting engine, so having replays locked at 60fps would really help to not break the illusion of reality. Obviously our eyes can see far beyond 60Hz, but 60 is better than 30.

Even if this has to be an option in the menu system, I'd hate to be robbed of locked 60fps at 1080P on PS5. Interesting times ahead!! Roll on more info!

:cheers:

You'd think the Scapes mode is where ray tracing would make the most sense to use as you only have to render few cars at most, but it's doesn't seem to be used at all. Very PD thing to do. And what is up with the tire shadows?
I'm trying to decide if Ray tracing would even work in Scapes - aren't Scapes just HDRI cube maps? There's no 3d geometry beyond the car for the light rays to interact with. Ultimately, what I'm getting at, is that I really want to see a comparison of replays between GT Sport and GT7...I think that is where the biggest differences will be.

edit: This Boss 429 screenshot from GT7 Scapes gives me mixed signals. The scoop, bumpers and wheels don't seem to give any evidence of self reflection (the inside area of the scoop looks particularly wrong), but the headlight and foglight lenses appear to be reflecting the paint color. So...not sure. It could be that the the ray tracing excludes any geometry below a certain reflection threshold - the more diffuse ray tracing calculations are more expensive from what I remember.

Last edited:
Would it be possible that the first two trailers were made in the previous years when the game was still work in progress and the current graphics are much better, they just haven't shown it to us on purpose yet?

Latest Posts

Back