Gran Turismo 7 Was The Second-Best Selling Game in March 2022

• Thread starter Famine
  • 255 comments
Apart from the economy scandal I think it's fully deserved.

It is an AI update away from being a masterpiece in my opinion.

Edit: oh and the multiplayer lobbies still need fixing so I guess that is another downside keeping it from greatness.

Last edited:
The game being sold a lot means nothing about it's quality.

The sales were down to the hype it was created about the game (1st GT main title after 9 years and a game that according to it's creator, would go back to its "origins2) and also due to the loyal fanbase GT has.
And also, quite clearly, based on the reviews where people didn't show not nearly enough of its flaws (and where the MTXs were not shown by PD, lol).

This can change a lot in the coming months.

But I personally think this game will come to a time where it really is great. Its just that you need to wait maybe one year post-launch for the game to have most of its fixes and a lot, a looooooooooooot more content added.

The content for me is what is killing this game. Or maybe it's my fault that I'm not "bad enough" to struggle multiple hours on the tests or missions, which gives you the impression that it takes a lot of time to complete the game's events for a lot of people.

Bring back Hamilton DLC and Vettel Red Bull Challenge levels of difficulties please?

Last edited:
You realise the author is the person who posted this thread, right? Tell him yourself, he's not some mystery entity.
No, but I will now
Weirdly, you still didn't, you just plopped it into the ether.

You can quote any post (like this) in order to send a Notification to a user, or you can tag them by typing "@" and their username (which the site gives suggestions for as you're typing) which also sends a Notification.

Someone needs to tell the writer that gt7 was not "off to a roaring start". Tge game launched with a buttload of issues
That phrase doesn't appear anywhere in my article, so it's really, really odd that you're quoting it as if it did and suggesting I need to be told that's wrong (which you could have done, but didn't, twice)...

All in all, a bit of an update 1.07 of a post, really.

Last edited:
No surprise, the gran turismo serie has been one of the best-selling in the world for years. The game is beautiful, the online races are exciting, there are often updates and new cars, it is a game that lasts 4-5 years without any problems. Sony's mistake was not to sell PS5s from its Sony.com sites, it would have avoided the lack of consoles and the reckless increase in prices.

Marketing hype and false expectations could sell 3 truckloads of saltwater to a shipyard on the first day. But how are sales going on day 2? Probably not so good, especially when everyone realizes you are mostly just re-using old seawater.

I bought GT7 on first day, and even if I had reviewed it hands-on, along with all the other reviewers, I still would have bought it first day. But the shiny-ness quickly wore off. It still has promise, and I would be surprised if it didn't do better than GTS. That being said, I won't be buying GT8 on launch day. If they do things right, GT7 could turned into a monster. If they do things wrong (Sony, I'm looking at you), then GT7 is going to end up like the Evander Holyfield mansion saga. Beautiful, sprawling, amazing, more than every feature imaginable, and eventually sold at foreclosure for a 7.5m loss.

We can only guess, but I'm figuring 200k units in March and eventually 8+ million units overall; well over $300m, possibly $400m. How much was dev? GT5 was ~60m; for GTS I've seen estimates for 80m (seems high to me tho). Even if they spent $120m, they will make 200-300m before the game hits the $5 mark, and thats not counting the ripof-- i mean microtransactions.

What bothers me is why they went to all the trouble to model things so beautifully, and then they don't spend the extra five dollars to utilize it more. Importing cars is a big deal, importing tracks even more so, and then theres licensing, physics, they added weather and a planetarium ffs. Online racing and photo mode.

There is so much they spent enormous resources on, but they can't copy and paste cup races and championships? I mean... I can load a track and select the opponents manually. They can't do the same thing with a macro and give me a decent payout for it? Seriously. All they have to do is add a button, copy any given race, reset the field with Gr.1 cars, and voila! NOW there is a reason to spend all that money on the 787B besides something cool to listen to.

To me its like spending $1,200 for dinner at Spagos and they serve you 3 spinach leaves, an acorn, and 2 bites of organic flounder with an orange butter sauce artfully drizzled across the plate. I came here to eat, not just lose myself in the enticing aroma of what could have been.

sucks to realize we live in a world which you can have a high selling video game that at the same time (a month) has one of the lowest metacrtitic score

Probably will be playing this in 2yrs when its 50% off
The Metacritic Score is 87. Which is an aggregate score from multiple media reviews.

No surprise, the gran turismo serie has been one of the best-selling in the world for years. The game is beautiful, the online races are exciting, there are often updates and new cars, it is a game that lasts 4-5 years without any problems. Sony's mistake was not to sell PS5s from its Sony.com sites, it would have avoided the lack of consoles and the reckless increase in prices.
They did sell PS5 on their website its called Sony direct

The Metacritic Score is 87. Which is an aggregate score from multiple media reviews.

I think it was clear they were talking about the user score.

A good game without a doubt, but the game is lacking in content, the biggest issue is to few events and a lot of events missing for some tracks and clssses, this would be a fair thing to complain about, the amount of cars is expected with the level of quality the aim for

Very few writers/journalists want to provide balanced and unbiased news. This game did sell a lot, no surprise, but there should be a huge caveat right afterwards explaining how horrendous the roll out has been over the past 2 months. I do believe the game will get better with time, but don't make excuses for PD or hide their large failures just so people (or PD) will 'like' you as a writer more.

Very few writers/journalists want to provide balanced and unbiased news. This game did sell a lot, no surprise, but there should be a huge caveat right afterwards explaining how horrendous the roll out has been over the past 2 months. I do believe the game will get better with time, but don't make excuses for PD or hide their large failures just so people (or PD) will 'like' you as a writer more.
I'm not entirely sure who this is directed at, but it's pretty strange to put this comment on an article about sales figures.

Within the article about sales figures, I only include solid information about sales figures. There's no bias in the figures at all - they are literally just sales figures - and I don't see how it can be anything but balanced. I also don't see how an article about sales figures which covers sales figures would be written to make anyone like or dislike the writer (also sales figures aren't anything to do with PD; Sony publishes the game) without adding opinion on how great or awful it is. Which would be bias.

If you want articles about "large failures", we do those as separate articles, where we can report the facts and information about those too - without bias:

Are you suggesting that every time there's something "good" (like sales figures) we should also make sure we talk about the "bad" - and of course vice versa (to avoid bias) such as talking about the "good" of it topping UK boxed sales in the article about the bad 1.07 update a week later ("hey, this sucks, but it sold well!") - as well?

Last edited:
sucks to realize we live in a world which you can have a high selling video game that at the same time (a month) has one of the lowest metacrtitic score

Probably will be playing this in 2yrs when its 50% off
Now imagine a world where they had an extremely high selling video game, that was completely unplayable, and could not be improved through updates. Because this existed not too long ago, right here on this very planet. Hell i'm amazed I can still buy video games for less than what a console use to cost let alone the fact they haven't increased dramatically over the past 30 odd years, and they can be improved upon.

Last edited:
Now imagine a world where they had an extremely high selling video game, that was completely unplayable, and could not be improved through updates. Because this existed not too long ago, right here on this very planet. Hell i'm amazed I can still buy video games for less than what a console use to cost let alone the fact they haven't increased dramatically over the past 30 odd years, and they can be improved upon.
Many... many many many years back, in 1994, Sensible Software released a game called Sensible World of Soccer.

It was great, but had a couple of problematic bugs in it - and given the highly rated Sensible Soccer combined with the management/career mode, it was a big seller and there were lots of complaints.

As a result of this, Warner Interactive Entertainment (Time Warner's name for Renegade, which it bought in 1995) sent out an update floppy disk to every registered owner of Sensible World of Soccer, for free, to fix it. 30 years ago!

Here's mine:

20220427_224740.jpg

Last edited:
An objective review would definitely find a lot of positives with GT7. I enjoy the game and what it offers, despite acknowledging the bizarre ways in which PD tests our patience (with the roulettes for example).

One complaint I think makes no difference at all, out of several, is the one against always online. Gamers today are used to always online. Many service games are like that, and those that aren't have very limited features when offline. Usually it's a fringe group consisting of GenX and early millennials who complain about it. GT7 was offline for a full day and it kept selling high despite the downtime. This should tell you all you need to know about the public who buys the game.

People are also getting used to FOMO antics. Forza Horizon has employed this tactic masterfully since 2016 and Gran Turismo has followed suit now with GT7. If they can earn things for free, they don't give a **** about timegated content. Only microtransactions are still a bit of a problem, but apparently the recent updates were enough to please the broader public.

In short, I think that, if Gran Turismo kept selling well throughout March, despite the backlash against some of its practices, it's because it's pleasing its target demographic, which is far broader than the Metacritic bombers.

Back