Gran Turismo 7's Car Models Use 500,000 Polygons Each

• Thread starter Famine
  • 51 comments
If they have the same number of Polygons since GT5, why they didn't use the old GT5 models?

Unless it is with different formats and not compatible or convertible.

If they have the same number of Polygons since GT5, why they didn't use the old GT5 models?

I’m no expert but I think it’s because of how the polygons are used. in GT7 the polygons can be moved to different parts of the car, depending on what is currently being viewed by the camera. (as mentioned in the article)

Last edited:
At some point you just get diminishing returns. It's all about efficiency on how you use those and how they're displayed in game and as mentioned up close retaining the quality.

Can't wait to see it all in action.
Indeed, I firmly believe the polygon race is over and it's more about rendering techniques, effects and resolution now.

Once you've hit 100% accuracy, that's it. There's no such thing as a 110% accurate model.
Absolutely, although we're a long way off 100% accuracy at the moment, but the real issue is diminishing returns as @alba stated.

Whereas in the PS1 to PS2 days it took just a few thousand polygons to make a substantially better looking model, if you doubled the polygon count from 500k to 1m you wouldn't likely see a model that looks close to twice as detailed now. But it'd take more work to make and more power to render.

So at some point you reach a point where you question if putting the effort and resources into more polygons is better than putting them into other techniques and areas which may provide a bigger impact visually for the same power.

Last edited:
Once you've hit 100% accuracy, that's it. There's no such thing as a 110% accurate model.
2132491-1555712-252150_gerstmann100_463_super_super.jpg

I seem to remember Kaz saying that the modelers went overboard with the PS3 models. Since then the main advances were in things like tessellation (which I believe they started using in GT6) and physically-based rendering. Plus I'm sure the models used in races on PS3 were lower-poly LOD models, whereas now they can probably use the models from the PS3 showrooms on the track. I'm pretty sure most of the cars that were added in Sport's DLC were just spruced up GT6 models.

This reminds me of the day I picked up Starwing for the good old SNES when it had it's spangly new Super FX chip for processing polygons. I looked it up for a laugh Super FX1=1000 Polygons per second & running at 10.5 MHz lol! Its obscene how good GT7 looks, with a long view its even better... Im looking forward to taking some gorgeous race photo's when it drops.

It's possibly related to the reason why GT5 premium models didn't feature adaptive tessellation in GT6 unlike newer vehicles there? Can the new game engine not support automated tessellation, and the car model requires rework?

A good car to compare is the supercharged Mini Cooper S, I believe it was in GT5 Prologue, it's interior model in GT6 was pretty block-like, but in GTS it's many times better.

Models in GT5 were made of 200-500k polygons, but... it was the complete number and "final".
In GTS and GT7 base model is also made of up to 500k polygons, but thanks to the tessellation, the final effect is like the number of polygons is almost infinite.
When getting close to some part of a car, polygon mesh gets much denser in that area. That's why it looks so much better than the GT5 models (some new cars in GT6 also benefited from this). Of course that's not the only reason, Today there are better shaders, materials, lighting etc..

I seem to remember Kaz saying that the modelers went overboard with the PS3 models. Since then the main advances were in things like tessellation (which I believe they started using in GT6) and physically-based rendering. Plus I'm sure the models used in races on PS3 were lower-poly LOD models, whereas now they can probably use the models from the PS3 showrooms on the track. I'm pretty sure most of the cars that were added in Sport's DLC were just spruced up GT6 models.
That would beg the question why they haven't just dumped all of the GT6 models into GT7 (barring licensing issues). Then the game would already have 500-600 cars.

On their Twitter I saw a lot of ppl asking what the count is for GTS. THAT'S a more interesting comparison, does anyone know?

On their Twitter I saw a lot of ppl asking what the count is for GTS. THAT'S a more interesting comparison, does anyone know?
There are already rips of GT Sport models out there and I know where to get them. I grabbed the Alpine VGT Gr1 car and threw it in blender. For anyone unfamiliar what number to look, we are looking at "Triangles"

First and second image: About 350k If you dont include the thing on top of the car as, which seems to be used for window reflections from the interior, and lowpoly collision models. This also does not include all 4 tires. All 4 rims without tire is 65k polygons. Putting a driver, merging all 4 rims with their tires on would probably result getting pretty close to 500k polygons, and that's just looking at the car from the outside and assuming that you are driving it and no lower LODs are showing.

1645662049267.png1645662335448.png

Third and 4th Image is from the modeled interior and the stuff outside of it:
1645662451231.png1645662549484.png

TLDR: The models in GT Sport are going to be ported to GT7, which is totally fine because they look fantastic anyways. 500k polygons is pretty standard as of right now. Assetto Corsa's cars are about 300k when they came out.

If you want to take a look at other models from GT Sport just go here and throw these models into blender:

Last edited:
There are already rips of GT Sport models out there and I know where to get them. I grabbed the Alpine VGT Gr1 car and threw it in blender. For anyone unfamiliar what number to look, we are looking at "Triangles"

First and second image: About 350k If you dont include the thing on top of the car as, which seems to be used for window reflections from the interior, and lowpoly collision models. This also does not include all 4 tires. All 4 rims without tire is 65k polygons. Putting a driver, merging all 4 rims with their tires on would probably result getting pretty close to 500k polygons, and that's just looking at the car from the outside and assuming that you are driving it and no lower LODs are showing.

View attachment 1116839View attachment 1116841

Third and 4th Image is from the modeled interior and the stuff outside of it:
View attachment 1116842View attachment 1116843

TLDR: The models in GT Sport are going to be ported to GT7, which is totally fine because they look fantastic anyways. 500k polygons is pretty standard as of right now. Assetto Corsa's cars are about 300k when they came out.

If you want to take a look at other models from GT Sport just go here and throw these models into blender:
Brilliant answer, thanks!
Now a really dumb question: it's something that bugs the part of my brain I hate 😃 but here goes:
Are the cars modeled only on the outside/ what's visible?
Ok now the dumb question is out there. I know CGI is completely different but I remember seeing a documentary on Pixar and how they model things invisible to the human eye.

Now.. For example let's say the engine isn't modelled of course, but that affects the car dynamics, the weight at different points on the car.

I'm rambling now but..I think about this stuff.

For those curious why polygons increase isn’t the big thing it used to be. I think of It like this.

A computer only has so much graphical power.

PlayStation 1 used 300 polygons for a car. The designers had to specifically choose which main areas of of the car to put each polygon in order to give the most convincing shape and look of the car. As 300 is barely anything.

PS2 used 10x the amount of PS1 at 3,000 polygons per car. Enough to give a convincing shape and look of each model.

PS3 used 140x the amount used on PS2 with 500,000 and already the cars do not look 140x better than the PS2 computed cars.

Yet it still required a MASSIVE leap in computer power in The PS3 to produce those cars.

So instead of the PS5 rendering cars that have millions of polygons Which would cost a big percentage of its computer power, developers have invested in improving effects like lighting and shading to improve the overall look of the cars.

Again, the effects used on the cars in GT7 are massively costing on the PS4/5 power. But the overall look and quality of the car is better spent there than if they instead used the same power for just a big polygon upgrade.

Last edited:
Brilliant answer, thanks!
Now a really dumb question: it's something that bugs the part of my brain I hate 😃 but here goes:
Are the cars modeled only on the outside/ what's visible?
Ok now the dumb question is out there. I know CGI is completely different but I remember seeing a documentary on Pixar and how they model things invisible to the human eye.

Now.. For example let's say the engine isn't modelled of course, but that affects the car dynamics, the weight at different points on the car.

I'm rambling now but..I think about this stuff.

"Are the cars modeled only on the outside/ what's visible?"
They laser scan their models and i am pretty sure that other developers do that too. They can choose what to model and what not to model. Its up to them how they want to execute on capturing the model. I don't think all of the cars in GT Sport have an engine model, unless the car's engine is visible through a window. It might be different in GT7 but we dont know yet.

"Now.. For example let's say the engine isn't modelled of course, but that affects the car dynamics, the weight at different points on the car."
That's overthinking it. The model does not have a weight by itself. It's just visually how it looks. The data of the car however like the weight, is defined somewhere in code and thats why something weighs like something. Like I can make a PT Curiser have a same weight as a apple no matter what I do with the model itself. They are simply unrelated to each other, visually and the performance of it.

Hah yes, absolutely, the characteristics of the cars are properties of object, the model is just the skin. I knew how crazy it sounded while I was typing.
I think what I was describing was The Matrix.

Last edited:
Back