Gran Turismo 7's Car Models Use 500,000 Polygons Each

• Thread starter Famine
  • 51 comments
Regarding the diminishing returns aspect, it may just be down to how the devs want to present the vehicles. Especially with GTS, the dynamic scapes got some very close up and varied angles on all of the vehicles, so in PDs case pushing the polygon count might possibly be warranted.

Moreso in GT5/6, everything looked REAL good til you got an angle or a closeup that had some jaggies or sharp polys that made the quality seem a little inconsistent. Not so much in GTS, so it seems like around 500K might be the sweet spot for now. With GT7 keeping the same count, I suppose the extra power from the PS5 gave them the opportunity to focus on the environment/lighting to bring it up to par with the cars.

Regarding the diminishing returns aspect, it may just be down to how the devs want to present the vehicles. Especially with GTS, the dynamic scapes got some very close up and varied angles on all of the vehicles, so in PDs case pushing the polygon count might possibly be warranted.

Moreso in GT5/6, everything looked REAL good til you got an angle or a closeup that had some jaggies or sharp polys that made the quality seem a little inconsistent. Not so much in GTS, so it seems like around 500K might be the sweet spot for now. With GT7 keeping the same count, I suppose the extra power from the PS5 gave them the opportunity to focus on the environment/lighting to bring it up to par with the cars.
GT5/6 also had 500,000 polygons.

Rather than keep focusing on improving the external models, I'd like PD to start modelling more interior/engine/other compartments. We need the equivalent of Forzavista in GT. If Kaz wants GT to truly be a love letter to cars we need to be able to appreciate every nook and cranny of it. Just imagine all the photomode possibilities!

Last edited:
...not sure if I recall correctly, but wasn't GT6 already hitting those number per premium car? ...or was it already back in GT5

I wonder if the 500k polygons becomes the sweet spot for an accurate and efficient representation from now on, PD would keep carrying over vehicle assets for future installments, and focus in new additions. Which btw I would support, the more the better 😁.

And pardon my ignorance, but when you guys said the polygons "move" during specific actions, does it mean that they actually geometrically move in the spatial planes? Or when refinement isn't required, the software doesn't load specific nodes to save resources, "creating" bigger polygons. So what would "move" is the volume in which more polygons are loaded?

I wonder if the 500k polygons becomes the sweet spot for an accurate and efficient representation from now on, PD would keep carrying over vehicle assets for future installments, and focus in new additions. Which btw I would support, the more the better 😁.
I'm no expert but it seems to me that this may be the sweet spot beyond which the level of diminishing returns ramps up big-time.

Even if we end up with 8 or 16k monitors one day, in order for the LOD offered by greatly upping the polygon count to be detectable / noticeable we'd have to sit much closer to our screens than we ever would whilst driving / navigating the game, IMHO.

I really want to believe this. I'm sure PD would have had about enough of reworking car models every so many years by now. Carryover would at last mean that the car count could continue to grow organically and not have to be "forced" through unnecessarily-generous delegation of resources.

Last edited:
I know it’s not terribly relevant to the actual subject, but I’m really liking that blue FXX-K. Makes me wanna pick that color when I get the FXX-K, rather than one of the usual three colors. (Being Rosso Corsa, Giallo Modena, and Nero Daytona.)

Bit off topic but this is all fine and well but I really hope we see PS4 footage or someone reviews the PS4 version. I know we keep getting told it's a matter of only resolution (1080p?) And FPS (30 or 60 at all times?) However I really need to see it on action. Still going to wait until after reviews.

Bit off topic but this is all fine and well but I really hope we see PS4 footage or someone reviews the PS4 version. I know we keep getting told it's a matter of only resolution (1080p?) And FPS (30 or 60 at all times?) However I really need to see it on action. Still going to wait until after reviews.
I'd be amazed if it doesn't just look like GTS at 1080p on PS4. I anticipated it'll lack some of the finer details and have less intense particle effects and ray tracing but I can't see it being much different to GTS.

To me, this and Forza Motorsport Reboot are both going to be the best looking Simcade racing games by this gen.
I'll reserve judgement for when we've properly seen the new Forza Motorport. It could look amazing, or it could retain that strange fake look with wonky lighting from previous games.

Last edited:
So poly count is about the same as the PS3 games then? Only difference probably being all cars having support for the tesselation?

Nice to know I won't be missing much then, at least on this aspect. The texture, shadow and reflection resolutions on PS3 might be low, but at least the 3d models are fine already.

Jk, I won't be missing out. Me and my brother talked about upgrading my PC, I will pass my current motherboard/CPU/ram to him, and we will share ownership of his PS4. So I will keep it every other week or something at my house. And I talked to a friend who has a PS5 about buying the game together (he doesn't want to spend the exorbitant price of the PS5 version we have here. Since PS4 games run better on PS5, it works out. And I only have a 23' 1080p 60hz monitor, so I won't be missing out much from not having a PS5/PS4 Pro for the game).

Even though both of us are mad at it requiring online connection again. For him specially, as his internet isn't very good. So having to download the updates to play, and needing the connection to just save (or won't we even be able to play it at all without a connection?), can be a problem.

Remember this video back in 2009? How time flies 😁

Or the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio render everyone thought was a GT6/Sport photo. (I only vaguely remember it, couldn’t find the pic I’m talking about)

If they have the same number of Polygons since GT5, why they didn't use the old GT5 models?

Unless it is with different formats and not compatible or convertible.
Problem is that some GT5 and GT6 models are really wack in terms of proportions since they were done using photos and blueprints rather than 3d scanning the real cars like GT Sport and GT7 models. So yeah while some could be and have been spruced up and brought over some have to be and have been completely redone like the R32 which had super iffy proportions before the new scanned in model in GT Sport.

So you know... It's not the size it's how you use it. :)

Latest Posts

Back