Gran Turismo Sport and TCS

• Thread starter Groundfish
  • 62 comments

Do you use tcs?

• Never, everyone knows it’s always slower than without

• Yes, sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I first started I used it always, but slowly weened off it in nearly all cases as it is faster without.

I voted yes though as it is required in certain extreme situations for me at least. Like the odd time taking the Tomahawk or W08 for a spin in the rain for example.

Use it when necessary. Certain cars like the Gr.3 Nissan, Gr.3 Supra, and the Gr.1 Hybrids are much more drivable with 1 or 2 TCS without losing too much time.

I’ll try the Gr3 Supra with TCS 1. I never used tcs with it.

When I first started playing two years ago, I used it, even with awd and ff cars lol. I was told it was pointless using it with those cars. As time went on, I used it less. Now I don’t use it at all since I know it slows me down on some fast turns.

Keep in mind that TCS in GTSport and TCS in GT5/6 has different behavior because GTSport's low speed physics is "much lower traction than it supposed to" weird.

GT5/6 is faster with TCS off while GTSport is faster with TCS on.

I just drive with tcs off cause i find it more fun and cause of the challenge, only used once in super formula not cause i couldn´t drive the car but cause of the tyre wear that is a lot better with tcs on 1..., and the race i did tyre wear could mean losing the race.

TCS in GTS is very basic in comparison what is on a real race car. In other games, driving a GT 3 without TC is almost suicide, in GTS TC will slow you down way to often, especially in fast corners. Also, only TC 2 seems to make sense. TC 1 does almost nothing, 3 and above are complete overkill.

On the contrary, I only use TCS 1 if I use it.
Mostly for high powered RWD cars, that tend to oversteer a lot.
I have tried TCS 2 with some extremely powerful cars, but it got very annoying, so just 1 or (most of the time) 0 for me.

When I first started out GT Sport, I used TCS at level 3 for all cars. But still heavy footed on high powered machines, that's my weakness.

Progressively, I made it to road cars up to 300bhp and Gr.4 cars at level 0. Now I'm doing up to 600bhp for road cars, and Gr.3 for race cars, and also a few Gr.X ones.

The only care I drive regularly where I use it (at 1) is on the Gr.3 GT-R. Other high powered race cars and road cars depend on the situation. Since I recently started using a wheel I'm trying to ween myself off.

I've been racing full time without TCS for just under a year, was at 2 for most cars prior. I might need to get more laps in but I'm a little quicker and more consistent with TCS on. Only exception now is standing starts, and the Super Formula is a lot more fun to drive with TCS at 2 imo.

I avoid it as much as possible because the TCS in GT Sport is very strange, it behaves like a brake and doesn't actually behave how it's supposed to.

The strange thing is that TCS in GT3 for example is not allowed to use the brakes. It works by cutting the ignition to the engine, not by braking one or more wheels. GTS TCS doesn’t do what it should do, in real life racing proper TCS makes you faster, not slower.

So, I did a very quick and unscientific bit of research this morning using the Gr3 Supra on Lago Maggiore - a combo that was giving me a fair amount of trouble last night. (Granted, that may just be because I forgot how to drive for the evening but anyway...)

And for me, with this car, on this track, TCS off is faster. TCS 1 did give it slightly better control and TCS 2 seemed to kill most of my skid going into certain turns. But the big thing for me is that with each level of TCS the car felt slower and seemed more sluggish and less responsive to the inputs. Acceleration out of turns was definitely slower with more TCS.

Again, just me - a mediocre driver - in a car I'm still learning on a track that gave me problems last night. But that's what I got.

Last edited:
When I first started this game I researched advice out there. Everyone said turn it off so I did. When I got into gr3 I used RS01 pretty much exclusively for 6 or so months never with tcs.
That said my times now on qual are usually 1-1.5 off the top ten gr3.
TCS 3 BB0.
If you look at the throttle input bar, that’s where TCS in game does what it does.
It’s the same as the braking bar and ABS.
Steering heavily affects its amount of ‘help’.
That’s some of what I have found.
When you turn wheel in, if you hold too much angle and apply too much throttle coming out, it activates (lowers throttle input) however if you are not turning the wheel too much and are releasing angle coming out there’s no power cut.
Imo yes, if one drives perfect, top ten optimal no TCS is maybe faster slightly, my question is do we drive perfectly in race and never spin and wheel spin and slide? Never give too much on exit too soon in the heat of battle?
I’ve found for ME, on wheel, understanding how it works is at least a great training tool if nothing else, and in race it helps tire wear, and handling punts, and contact with other cars.
Please carry on :) Just relaying my own experience of TCS, nothing more.

Last edited:
my question is do we drive perfectly in race and never spin and wheel spin and slide? Never give too much on exit too soon in the heat of battle?

Having those little trips over your limit then learning from them are what racing's all about.:P

I slip and slide from time to time with no TC but my slipping and sliding is done in a much more controllable way to how the TC manages it as I've got the full rev range to play with when I need it. More amenable.

Having those little trips over your limit then learning from them are what racing's all about.:P

I slip and slide from time to time with no TC but my slipping and sliding is done in a much more controllable way to how the TC manages it as I've got the full rev range to play with when I need it. More amenable.

That’s cool. I understand that point of view, I just find my times always fastest when I get power down and early.
A good example of an area of a track where people think tcs inherently acts too much is up the esses at DT Seaside, that’s a very good example because in gr3 a little too much weight shift in the transitions causes it to act.
But, it is possible in the right line to flat that at tcs3 without any power cut.
The car just has to be balanced well with the steering, and minimizing steering input, which is basically always a good thing to do.
In long sweepers, yes, at tcs 3 most cars it can cut power, but when it does it’s letting a person know something’s a little off, and usually if the corners taken better it doesn’t slow you down.
I can only say I personally race much better with it than without, but I practice as I race.
I can do it either way, and have, but contact is another reason I like it on.
Lotta times in close racing there’s rubs and taps that happen sometimes dirty sometimes not, but I’ve just had too many races ruined when running alfresco and too many saved by tcs.
For me, TCS on 3 means no fear at least on gr3 with the powerful cars of getting to power early and aggressively, and its activation is not a light switch, but I digress.
I just think once how it works is understood it’s an advantage in race, but I get the other side also.
It’s a good topic, I brought it up because I see a lot of folks who want to get faster 4-7 seconds or more off top ten, and imo no tcs is not helping in that case.
I’ll try to let the thread roll on without further commenting much...

It’s a good topic, I brought it up because I see a lot of folks who want to get faster 4-7 seconds or more off top ten, and imo no tcs is not helping in that case.
This is a very valid point and I think your assumption is correct. If people are that far off in times I think they need to concentrate on learning the flow of the tracks first, and not spinning out all the time should help them find the rhythm quicker.

A while back when we had a Gr.4 race C at Tokyo East Outer. I was using the Huracan, which is all-wheel drive and has no traction issues.
However, something I learned from Sven in that race was that by using TCS 2, the tire wear was a little bit better, and with no noticeable loss of time.
Before that, I never thought to use TCS on all-wheel drive cars. I suppose on races A & B it wouldn't make as much sense.

So I guess sometimes, it's useful for more that just preventing spin-outs. 👍

Back