Gran Turismo Sport and TCS

• Thread starter Groundfish
  • 62 comments

Do you use tcs?

• Never, everyone knows it’s always slower than without

• Yes, sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
I usually drive at TC 1 mainly due to using a DS4. After reading this thread, I tried with 0, surprisingly I could go faster than my previous best which was with TC 1 in the TT at Tokyo. Also what I did realise, the car without TC was more refined while turning through the esses at the start of the lap. Infact with TC 1, the car would twitch a bit more or not make the entry into the bend so willingly.

Just a question to any experienced player here, what should be the controller feedback settings. I think mine right now is 5/5/5.

I usually drive at TC 1 mainly due to using a DS4. After reading this thread, I tried with 0, surprisingly I could go faster than my previous best which was with TC 1 in the TT at Tokyo. Also what I did realise, the car without TC was more refined while turning through the esses at the start of the lap. Infact with TC 1, the car would twitch a bit more or not make the entry into the bend so willingly.

Just a question to any experienced player here, what should be the controller feedback settings. I think mine right now is 5/5/5.

Controller to 7. Gives the fastest reaction time and better speed. The other 2 values are for wheels only.

I'm fairly new around racing games - bought a wheel and couple racing games (AC/PC2) bit over a year ago.

When I started to play GTS I used to use 1 TCS racing GR.3 cars (playing daily race B) to avoid spinning low-speed corners and so that I could focus more on the racing with others. After giving up on TCS it didn't make me that much faster but it did make my driving so much smoother and consistent.

Until several months ago, I used TCS2 on almost every car above N400-N500 range. I was able to make it well into A+ and achieve FIA S-ranking in both MFG and Nations Cups several times over in a less competitive NA region. I can honestly say that I've been in a ton of high-ranking lobbies where I'm pretty sure I was the only guy using TCS, and I'm not the fastest guy around, but I've beaten many a fast racer who are probably a little too proud of the fact they don't use TCS. I often wonder how many times people have watched replays to learn I'm using it, then got irked that they finished behind me...a lowly TCS pleb.

My point is that it's very possible to be faster than most people who play the game while still using TCS, as better times are typically derived from taking the right lines and braking later/trailbraking into corners and hitting apexes rather than throttle control. There's a certain way you need to drive to get the most out of it, and that driving style is not all that different from driving without TCS, just try to not let your tires slip and slide too much and keep your wheels relatively straight when you mash that throttle. TCS2 has saved me more times than I can count in high-powered cars, as it's basically impossible to spin due to being too generous with the throttle while using TCS2.

The only problem is that now that I'm much better than I used to be when I started playing the game, I have become accustomed to having a heavy right foot without many consequences. So more recently, when I started making the switch to no TCS in the cars that I can handle (Gr.3 and below) my learning curve is a little slower because I have that bad habit, especially in the heat of battle. But I'm adjusting and getting better all the time.

What I've found is that the higher the power of your car is, the less time you tend to lose using TCS. This is not true for all high-powered cars, but in Gr.1 cars, the Redbulls, the F1 car and a few other monsters, TCS is actually better at modulating the throttle than most people are, aliens excluded from that claim. Both occasions that I've posted a top 10 time, it's been in the Red Bull Standard and a Gr.1 car using TCS2 and auto transmission. I could literally send it through some corners and just plant my foot on exit and I would get better exits than those who had to be more conservative with the throttle, simply because TCS was keeping the throttle input right at the maximum limit without spinning, whereas others seemed to struggle to find that limit so they either spun their tires and lost a bit of control over the car, losing time, or they didn't apply enough throttle and were simply slower on exits.

Once you've figured out how to drive with TCS, you actually lose most of your time in the gear shifts on straights. It's not much, but you'll see other cars pull ahead just a little bit each gear. There are some tracks where I only use it for 1 or 2 corners and only in race, as sort of an insurace policy. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten guys faster than me simply because they spun in the heat of the moment and I didn't. Losing tenths per lap due to TCS and keeping it on track is much better than being faster but spinning out once per race and losing 10s.

Also, having slightly better tyres toward the end of a tyre-saving race, can be invaluable in a long one, especially in FF or AWD cars, which don't lose too much of their rocket speed/acceleration using TCS1. One of the fastest guys in the UK, Tidgney, sometimes uses TCS1 on FF cars for FIA races, which he seems to favor.

Part of what I'm getting at is that there are a lot of people in this game, even very fast people, who probably should be using TCS because they seem to be barely in control of their car many times. I think ego or machismo or whatever you want to call it plays a part in that. You can tell by how some people respond when discussing TCS that it's not a logical conclusion but an emotional one to not use it. I also agree that people who are many seconds off the pace should probably turn it on and see what it can do for them. I bet some of those people would be faster, even if it did bruise their ego a little.

Now I almost always qualify without TCS, and I always race without it in Gr.4 and below and am slowing transitioning to TCS0 in Gr.3 cars. I just did my first FIA race in a Gr.3 car without TCS and did relatively well finishing P5 in a half A+ half A lobby, but it was in the Atenza and on medium tyres, making it much easier to handle. Certain Gr.3 cars on hard tyres will still require me to use it (GTR, Supra, RCF to name a few) and I'm perfectly fine with that. Still getting wins and putting up times in the top 100 or better most of the time.

Thus concludes my TCS novel.

TCS is for wimps and gt3 kidds.
Real drivers control the car by gaspedal!
Its against my honor to turn on this kind of crap, also abs and any other helpers :D

Its against my honor to turn on this kind of crap, also abs and any other helpers :D

90b.png

Until several months ago, I used TCS2 on almost every car above N400-N500 range. I was able to make it well into A+ and achieve FIA S-ranking in both MFG and Nations Cups several times over in a less competitive NA region. I can honestly say that I've been in a ton of high-ranking lobbies where I'm pretty sure I was the only guy using TCS, and I'm not the fastest guy around, but I've beaten many a fast racer who are probably a little too proud of the fact they don't use TCS. I often wonder how many times people have watched replays to learn I'm using it, then got irked that they finished behind me...a lowly TCS pleb.

My point is that it's very possible to be faster than most people who play the game while still using TCS, as better times are typically derived from taking the right lines and braking later/trailbraking into corners and hitting apexes rather than throttle control. There's a certain way you need to drive to get the most out of it, and that driving style is not all that different from driving without TCS, just try to not let your tires slip and slide too much and keep your wheels relatively straight when you mash that throttle. TCS2 has saved me more times than I can count in high-powered cars, as it's basically impossible to spin due to being too generous with the throttle while using TCS2.

The only problem is that now that I'm much better than I used to be when I started playing the game, I have become accustomed to having a heavy right foot without many consequences. So more recently, when I started making the switch to no TCS in the cars that I can handle (Gr.3 and below) my learning curve is a little slower because I have that bad habit, especially in the heat of battle. But I'm adjusting and getting better all the time.

What I've found is that the higher the power of your car is, the less time you tend to lose using TCS. This is not true for all high-powered cars, but in Gr.1 cars, the Redbulls, the F1 car and a few other monsters, TCS is actually better at modulating the throttle than most people are, aliens excluded from that claim. Both occasions that I've posted a top 10 time, it's been in the Red Bull Standard and a Gr.1 car using TCS2 and auto transmission. I could literally send it through some corners and just plant my foot on exit and I would get better exits than those who had to be more conservative with the throttle, simply because TCS was keeping the throttle input right at the maximum limit without spinning, whereas others seemed to struggle to find that limit so they either spun their tires and lost a bit of control over the car, losing time, or they didn't apply enough throttle and were simply slower on exits.

Once you've figured out how to drive with TCS, you actually lose most of your time in the gear shifts on straights. It's not much, but you'll see other cars pull ahead just a little bit each gear. There are some tracks where I only use it for 1 or 2 corners and only in race, as sort of an insurace policy. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten guys faster than me simply because they spun in the heat of the moment and I didn't. Losing tenths per lap due to TCS and keeping it on track is much better than being faster but spinning out once per race and losing 10s.

Also, having slightly better tyres toward the end of a tyre-saving race, can be invaluable in a long one, especially in FF or AWD cars, which don't lose too much of their rocket speed/acceleration using TCS1. One of the fastest guys in the UK, Tidgney, sometimes uses TCS1 on FF cars for FIA races, which he seems to favor.

Part of what I'm getting at is that there are a lot of people in this game, even very fast people, who probably should be using TCS because they seem to be barely in control of their car many times. I think ego or machismo or whatever you want to call it plays a part in that. You can tell by how some people respond when discussing TCS that it's not a logical conclusion but an emotional one to not use it. I also agree that people who are many seconds off the pace should probably turn it on and see what it can do for them. I bet some of those people would be faster, even if it did bruise their ego a little.

Now I almost always qualify without TCS, and I always race without it in Gr.4 and below and am slowing transitioning to TCS0 in Gr.3 cars. I just did my first FIA race in a Gr.3 car without TCS and did relatively well finishing P5 in a half A+ half A lobby, but it was in the Atenza and on medium tyres, making it much easier to handle. Certain Gr.3 cars on hard tyres will still require me to use it (GTR, Supra, RCF to name a few) and I'm perfectly fine with that. Still getting wins and putting up times in the top 100 or better most of the time.

Y i used it at FIA super formula to save tyres and eventually win the race, but to be fair i enjoy more to turn it off cause it appears to be a more real experience since you have to me more carefull how to handle the throttle, never drove a real competition car but for shure that even with tcs on if you smash the throttle in a high HP car the car will be instable or even ending to lose the car.
It´s more for the challenge and imersion it gives that i turn it off, but like you mentioned probably turning it on will end up in more good results.

I use TCS 2 pretty much all the time and not ashamed to admit it. I rarely race in anything other than in the Manufacturers FIA so in GR.3 and 4s. I know its faster without it. I turned it off once and spent a while practising being gentle on the throttle and knocked a second off my fastest lap but its just too much hard work for me and something extra to think about when under pressure in races! I'm sure with time i'll work myself off it for good. As a driver for Lamborghini though, i have discovered that i can turn it off with the GR4 car and it still doesn't spin out so am now officially TCS 0 with that car! :lol:

See my post above. Especially the part about pride and ego.

When I see people talk like this, I’m always curious how fast they are, and I wonder if you’d get beat by a TCS wimp, you know, in the name of honor.

When I see people talk like this, I’m always curious how fast they are, and I wonder if you’d get beat by a TCS wimp, you know, in the name of honor.
This was their previous post:
"Its not the pedals who are crap, its the game.
Everyone know that Gran Turismo Sport is the worst crap game on console, if it comes to Wheel settings and options.
You cant even adjust simple min/max deadzones for pedals. Or a proper cockpit view, or a FoV slider."

Just gonna take a shot in the dark and say they probably don't even play the game. I've noticed a lot of people write messages like that just to get attention. Kinda sad.

Nice post. Basically its down to the individual.

I tried TCS on the Supra a few days ago on Maggiore. I’m good with the Supra with TCS off and decent on the track hitting mid 58s (best is 58.1).

When I turned it on, I couldn’t break 1:59. I was definitely slower and I could tell right away at turns.

Makes me think of my youngest son (23) and how he insists on using no TC simply because I never use it. I've had 10 years to get used to it compared to his 6 months so it would help him to use TC while he refines the basics but at the same time, I'm seeing the improvements he's making with no TC and think it would be detrimental in the long run for him to start using it now.

I'm not a condescending purist about TC as some people genuinely need it but the more proficient player should learn to live without it for better car control. It's not vital, as you've seen from your results but TC will eventually become an obstacle to improving further.

This is a great post. Goes to show that "smooth is fast", which is something I often have to remind myself of when I'm pushing too hard.

I find, if lapping that if a certain area or two I feel the TCS cutting throttle too much it usually means I am not in the right line or the car is not balanced and settled. Something is off.
It teaches me where I need to find more grip with a better line and not to be late with letting the car runout and also not be late with steering on entry to apex.

He probably doesn't realize that this is just a racing video game, after all. And that pretty much anyone who plays it can set any in-game settings that would best suit their preferences when it comes to gameplay.

I very rarely use TCS now, one example of when I did use it was the Manufacturers Red Bull Ring race in the wet in exhibition season 1. The poll should really have had more options to break down the "sometimes" response, as it can mean anything from just using it for grid starts to using it all the time. Options such as "always", "often", "sometimes", "rarely" would be better.

I find, if lapping that if a certain area or two I feel the TCS cutting throttle too much it usually means I am not in the right line or the car is not balanced and settled. Something is off.
It teaches me where I need to find more grip with a better line and not to be late with letting the car runout and also not be late with steering on entry to apex.

Perfectly valid reason but I get the feeling you're defending using TC when there's really no need to. Your settings work for you and mine work for me.:cheers:

I've put enough time into no TC to be totally comfortable without it. It would come in handy when I my tires get hot after a nudge off someone but I'm usually too busy arguing with the car to switch it on.:lol: Any other time, I don't need it at all.

The fact that you can’t launch a car faster without TCS disabled than with it confirms what I’ve been saying for over 2 years... the tire model still sucks because as soon as tires start sliding they act like on ice. This makes it difficult to launch cars, bug also recover from slides and makes drifting very difficult.

Basically GTS is a big letdown in this regard, at least for me. I’m wondering what will GT7 feel like.

Use TC for race start, and some gt3 and higher cars just as i find my throttle difficult to modulate well out of slow corners, but normally just TCS1 to take the edge off. Gr4 and below doesn't have enough power or the snap oversteer to really cause any issues.

I've put enough time into no TC to be totally comfortable without it.

Good post, lsettings don’t need ‘defending’ per se. Each driver has to find the way to get the time, and choose how to race.
I guess in essence I am not defending, more like selling the use of tcs.
I’m comfortable and fine without, what I am not comfortable with is everyone else on track. That’s one reason why I went there with this whole topic, that’s part of it.
Part of it is I see the times, and I have a sense of some of the mindset behind those times.
Part of my intent also was to try to offer something up about its operation as well because I think understanding things is good, and I believe that sharing a bit of that is a good thing, possibly could shorten a persons learning curve in some cases.
I just think the game has available tools, maybe understanding their operation could be a good thing for certain people who like to do so and take advantage of that knowledge in online races.
Tbh I know darned well most people don’t have unlimited time to develop video game driving skills over a period of hundreds and hundreds and thousands of hours of practice, but they wanna do best with the time that they do have, and maybe sharing knowledge might help em out.
Tbh if even one person read something I said re TCS and enjoyed benefit from that then it’s worth taking the time to share.
It has nothing to do with defend or need or who does and who doesn’t imo. I’ve spent waaay too much time on this game haha.
It’s just here’s what it is, this is what it does, the choice is the users, that’s more than it sucks tried it once didn’t like it it’s the devil, as some here have made it seem. There are fast people that do use it. It shouldn’t be some tough guy ego thing to turn it off.
From my end in the posts I have done I have put the info out there, for a motivated person to be able to get.
So, although it’s a thread I began, I am going to do my darndest not to post anymore in it as I said I would before, it’s all been said, by myself, and others.
That’s it, from me.

I still alternate between TCS 1 or 2 depending on the car and track. I find it helps me get up to speed and get some laps in learning combos without just being a spinning wreck. As has been mentioned before it mostly doesn't cut in if you are managing throttle properly. I have worked at times continuing to drop my usage of it but in my situation where I play on a DS4 in the lounge with kids popping in and out or other things interrupting me a bit I simply find that I can't give the 100pct zeroed in focus that I myself need to handle it. I can still race mostly safely and cleanly in my current set up but with the interruptions I just can't move to no TCS without risking other people's races.

Back