Gran Turismo Sport confirmed to appear on 1 February in Jay Leno's Garage on CNBC Prime

• Thread starter sirjim73
  • 32 comments
England
Reading
cutback73
cutback73
Hello all,

Not sure I've had a "scoop" before, but I've been checking the website and no-one else seems to have picked up on this, so I thought it must warrant a mention.

The new series of Jay Leno's garage started last week and at the start of the first episode, they previewed future episodes.

If you look closely at 1:03 in the link below (only for a split second mind), you will see Kazunori sitting next to Jay Leno who is clearly driving GT Sport VR mode. Whilst it does not say "GT Sport" anywhere on screen, if anyone can think of another explanation for the screenshot below, I would be extremely impressed! It does not say which episode this will appear in, however it was not in the episode titled "In Harm's Way" and the preview of the next two episodes on IMDB does not suggest that it will appear in these episodes either. I will be keeping an eye on future episode information on imdb for any clues.

Being based in the UK, I don't have access to the TV channel in the US showing these episodes, however will watch the future episodes if and when they appear on Youtube.

Jay Leno GTS.jpg

Clearly, there is a long history of links between Gran Turismo and Jay Leno going right back to the famous Tank Car, so the inclusion of the game within the programme does seem a natural progression of this.

I hope this reads like a good GTPlanet "news post" ;)

Attachments

• Jay Leno GTS.jpg
    Jay Leno GTS.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
I hope Kaz took his car scanner with him.

Hence my prediction for future DLC elsewhere ;)

Even if Kaz didn't have a scanning team when he visited, I am sure the subject will have come up and Jay is seemingly a fan of the series, so it seems likely in my opinion that Jay will put forward a car for scanning for the game in the future. If we are lucky they will also re-add a GTS super premium of previous cars.

Here's a thought, perhaps they will time a DLC car release sometime around the time the relevant show is broadcast. May not be likely as it would be difficult to coordinate, but you never know...

Thanks for the heads up on Leno returning. Had to change out my DVR and forgot to set the show to record. I love this show. Feel sorry for the guy that took Jay for a ride in his Hemi Under Glass and rolled it on its roof last season. Wonder if Jay helped him out on the repairs. What a life, Jay doesn't need the game to play Gran Turismo.

Hello again.

Sorry that I am not able to add any more news yet re GT Sport's future appearance, however last night's episode of Jay Leno's garage has not been uploaded to the dedicated Youtube channel (yet?) and I don't have access to US TV being in the UK :P

Looking at the snippets of video uploaded on the CNBC channel, while enjoying some "schnapps" :lol: I am pretty sure that GT Sport won't have featured in last night's episode and it doesn't look like it will feature in "Closed Roads" either, which is next week's episode.

However, there will be someone of interest to many next week, judging by the blurb on IMDB:

"Jay meets famed driver Ben "The Stig" Collins to drive a 2018 Hyundai Kona, explores tanks and robots, climbs intense inclines in a Jeep Wrangler prototype, and competes against race car driver Bryce Menzies in a soapbox race."

I will let you know if and when I notice anything new via Youtube or IMDB, unless someone else beats me to it :lol:.

1 February episode "Living the Dream" - the synopsis refers to Nissan GT Academy. I don't have access to the CNBC channel. And episodes are not going up on jay leno YouTube channel either. How can we see this - help please ...

But you heard it here first folks ... :D:sly:

Hello all.

You can all now see from the screenshot below confirmation that GT Sport is included (however briefly it may or may not be) in this week's episode, for those lucky people who have access to the channel in the US (for which I don't have access :(). Specifically the Willow Springs track at 17.30.

GTS.jpg

Ignore the thumbnail as it is from another video entirely. In this brief clip...

"GT Academy winner Ricardo Sanchez has virtually driven the Willow Springs Racetrack hundreds of times. He meets up with Jay Leno at the racetrack to compare reality and virtual reality. Will his virtual skills transfer over to real world driving?"

There is no footage of GT Sport in this clip, aside from the brief snapshot captured in the image above, however it shows the white Nissan GTR being driven at Willow Springs by Ricardo Sanchez, so it seems that the white GTR (what else :lol:) will also be driven in game during the episode (linking to the brief shot of Jay Leno in VR glasses from earlier in the series).

I hope @Jordan and any other "Admins" in the US have set their DVRs in preparation :gtpflag: and that someone who has access to the channel will be able to provide details of what is shown when the episode airs on Thursday night 10P ET/PT on CNBC Prime, for those of us not in the US.

Hello all.

You can all now see from the screenshot below confirmation that GT Sport is included (however briefly it may or may not be) in this week's episode, for those lucky people who have access to the channel in the US (for which I don't have access :(). Specifically the Willow Springs track at 17.30.

View attachment 710215

Ignore the thumbnail as it is from another video entirely. In this brief clip...

"GT Academy winner Ricardo Sanchez has virtually driven the Willow Springs Racetrack hundreds of times. He meets up with Jay Leno at the racetrack to compare reality and virtual reality. Will his virtual skills transfer over to real world driving?"

There is no footage of GT Sport in this clip, aside from the brief snapshot captured in the image above, however it shows the white Nissan GTR being driven at Willow Springs by Ricardo Sanchez, so it seems that the white GTR (what else :lol:) will also be driven in game during the episode (linking to the brief shot of Jay Leno in VR glasses from earlier in the series).

I hope @Jordan and any other "Admins" in the US have set their DVRs in preparation :gtpflag: and that someone who has access to the channel will be able to provide details of what is shown when the episode airs on Thursday night 10P ET/PT on CNBC Prime, for those of us not in the US.

I don't have cable but I might need catch on the internet :cheers:

Good catch, Jim. DVR set.

The show will also be available on-demand for anyone who has access to CNBC from their TV provider.

I woke up this morning wracking my brain for what was happening today that I needed to remember, YAY

what time is it on?

EDIT: ahh I scrolled down and jumped straight to the topgear video :D

3am Friday

Last edited:
Hello all.

I woke up this morning wracking my brain for what was happening today that I needed to remember, YAY

what time is it on?

And a random thought. Why is Jordan user 638 and not user 1 ? :lol:

Just watched tonight's episode called Living The Dream. Jay starts out driving a McLaren 570S. Then he takes a 1912 Stanley Steamer up Mount Washington Auto Road in NH. Talk about going from one extreme to the other. So on to GT. He talks a little about GT and GT Academy and then meets up Kaz. Jay asks him, "What is the single hardest element to recreate?" Kaz says. "I think one of the most important things for realism in the game is the feedback you get from the wheel when you first start turning the wheel." (How about the feedback when the car's about to break loose?)

He then invites Jay to try out VR mode. He drives a GT-R Nismo around Willow Springs in VR as Jay is familiar with the track. And there's a full field of cars in the race. Possibly a sign of things to come. Then Jay drives a real Nismo around Willow and meets Ricardo Sanchez, the first international GT Academy winner. Ricardo had never been to Willow Springs, yet he takes Jay for a fast lap in the car. Jay was really impressed considering he only drove the track in the game. Ricardo explained how the game prepared him to become a race car driver and the opportunity it provided him.

All in all a pretty good show. And Gran Turismo got some nice exposure also. Jay said if someone had told him at 16 that as a grownup he could call any manufacturer and they would send cars to his garage for him to drive, he would never think that would happen. That's why it's called 'Living The Dream'.

It was a great segment. :)
He then invites Jay to try out VR mode. He drives a GT-R Nismo around Willow Springs in VR as Jay is familiar with the track. And there's a full field of cars in the race. Possibly a sign of things to come.
To clarify, the part with Kazunori and PSVR was filmed at the GT Sport E3 booth in June of last year. Jay was playing what is now a very old build of the game, and they weren't actually showing VR gameplay footage, so unfortunately we can't take that as a sign of the future. The producers of his show probably didn't realize they'd cause a minor fuss on GTPlanet when they cut that footage into their edit. :D

And a random thought. Why is Jordan user 638 and not user 1 ? :lol:
User ID numbers were not preserved when I converted the site from our original forum software back in 2001, so the first few thousand ID numbers (for the earliest users, threads, and posts) are not in accurate chronological order.

Just watched tonight's episode called Living The Dream. Jay starts out driving a McLaren 570S. Then he takes a 1912 Stanley Steamer up Mount Washington Auto Road in NH. Talk about going from one extreme to the other. So on to GT. He talks a little about GT and GT Academy and then meets up Kaz. Jay asks him, "What is the single hardest element to recreate?" Kaz says. "I think one of the most important things for realism in the game is the feedback you get from the wheel when you first start turning the wheel." (How about the feedback when the car's about to break loose?)

He then invites Jay to try out VR mode. He drives a GT-R Nismo around Willow Springs in VR as Jay is familiar with the track. And there's a full field of cars in the race. Possibly a sign of things to come. Then Jay drives a real Nismo around Willow and meets Ricardo Sanchez, the first international GT Academy winner. Ricardo had never been to Willow Springs, yet he takes Jay for a fast lap in the car. Jay was really impressed considering he only drove the track in the game. Ricardo explained how the game prepared him to become a race car driver and the opportunity it provided him.

All in all a pretty good show. And Gran Turismo got some nice exposure also. Jay said if someone had told him at 16 that as a grownup he could call any manufacturer and they would send cars to his garage for him to drive, he would never think that would happen. That's why it's called 'Living The Dream'.

Thanks you so much for the summary. Hopefully it is shown in the UK at a later date. I remember seeing some previous episodes on Dave channel I think last year.

It was a great segment. :)

To clarify, the part with Kazunori and PSVR was filmed at the GT Sport E3 booth in June of last year. Jay was playing what is now a very old build of the game, and they weren't actually showing VR gameplay footage, so unfortunately we can't take that as a sign of the future. The producers of his show probably didn't realize they'd cause a minor fuss on GTPlanet when they cut that footage into their edit. :D

User ID numbers were not preserved when I converted the site from our original forum software back in 2001, so the first few thousand ID numbers (for the earliest users, threads, and posts) are not in accurate chronological order.

Thanks re user numbers. It makes sense that some footage came from E3 since I doubt Messrs Leno and Yamauchi are often in the same place at the same time.... presumably the Willow footage was filmed sometime after.

I'm pleased I was able to contribute to the forum by flagging this in advance and hope those who watched it enjoyed the segment and show. I can go back to maintaining the Daily Award spreadsheet now :lol:

Will this episode show up on Jay Leno's YouTube channel for non-US viewers to see?

I'm not sure if his TV content is shared there usually.

Latest Posts

Back