Gran Turismo Sport Cross Over To A Real Simulator To Satisfy The Wheel Market

• Thread starter Junkman55
  • 597 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOCK IN cockpit view for realism.

url

No.

Just for realism. A lot of the other Sims use this as the most popular view.

regardless of the view. I think PD could go down this road and it would be a hit

If they have adjustable FOV/Angle/Mirror settings, maybe. But I don't think it would fit PD's goal of keeping the game accessible.

Also, to remove the wheel in cockpit view would be great. Some UDP telemetry would back it up even further.

Its nice to see the passion for online racing in these posts, you have to remember I only ask for one race in the GTS daily’s for one true simulator race without the DS4. I am sure that GT7 will have the Gamer in mind but eSports is out looking for Gamers and simulator drivers who knows what will happen next

You can “move the seat” forward, back, up, and down a n most of these cockpits.

I started off using my Alt in cockpit view only because it was my just for fun acct. I then decided to use cockpit view for all my accts, not because it’s the most competitive (which it is not), but because it was the most immersive...and therefore the most fun for me. FWIW, I couldn’t seem to get the correct “feel” for trail braking until I started using cockpit mode. Driving fir 20+ years has left we extremely handicapped if I try to use anything but the bumper or cockpit view

Its nice to see the passion for online racing in these posts, you have to remember I only ask for one race in the GTS daily’s for one true simulator race without the DS4. I am sure that GT7 will have the Gamer in mind but eSports is out looking for Gamers and simulator drivers who knows what will happen next

You might be racing by yourself, if such a daily were a thing. I'd say a significant majority of drivers in the game use DS4.

EDIT:

I guess that's one way to get some wins :lol:

Last edited:
In my opinion cockpit view is a terrible thing to be forced into for a game series if you have been used to exterior view only games.

Cockpit views works in GT Sport but it is very difficult sometimes to judge the braking and position to the cars in front and I have caused myself a few collisions because I cannot fully determine the braking distance/gap to the vehicle in front.

Cockpit is particularly more challenging in night races not that we have these in Sport but unless better dashboard lighting/brightness was implemented I imagine a lot of crashing would happen and I imagine it would loose a lot of potential buyers if they were forced to learn cockpit only.

The only game series I would say cockpit view really works by default is Formula 1 because we are very used to seeing the cars from the driver point of view thanks to the onboard camera's used in real F1.

You playing the wrong game if you want anything close to simulation then. Go try AC,Project Cars,RFactor or Automobilista then. You sure as hell aren't getting it in GT Sport.

GTS is the best Simulator software out there for the starting 4 online races in one hour that is why I race here. If I have one bad race there is three more trying for a better one . Most times I will race for 2to3 hours getting the odds for good racing and I am seldom disappointed . So I am in the right place for good racing.

You can “move the seat” forward, back, up, and down a n most of these cockpits.

I started off using my Alt in cockpit view only because it was my just for fun acct. I then decided to use cockpit view for all my accts, not because it’s the most competitive (which it is not), but because it was the most immersive...and therefore the most fun for me. FWIW, I couldn’t seem to get the correct “feel” for trail braking until I started using cockpit mode. Driving fir 20+ years has left we extremely handicapped if I try to use anything but the bumper or cockpit view

Fwiw I’ve used cockpit exclusively for a long time. Seems competitive to me.
I am lucky to play on a large tv though. Cockpit view has the advantage of providing the player the most feedback and information.
At first when I switched it seemed odd to use but I’m way faster now by using it. The added information it gives is very advantageous imo.

GTS is the best Simulator software out there for the starting 4 online races in one hour that is why I race here. If I have one bad race there is three more trying for a better one . Most times I will race for 2to3 hours getting the odds for good racing and I am seldom disappointed . So I am in the right place for good racing.
So why do you want to change what works to diminish the player base?

Fwiw I’ve used cockpit exclusively for a long time. Seems competitive to me.
I am lucky to play on a large tv though. Cockpit view has the advantage of providing the player the most feedback and information.
At first when I switched it seemed odd to use but I’m way faster now by using it. The added information it gives is very advantageous imo.
You are right and if you think about it there is 3 cockpit views there is behind the sim wheel, in front of the sim wheel and there is the bumper cam. I think driving outside of the car was meant for gamers.

Last edited:
You are right and if you think about it there is 3 cockpit views there is behind the sim wheel, in front of the sim wheel and there is the bumper cam. I think driving outside of the car was meant for gamers.

A great thing about GTS is it doesn’t matter what anyone else uses, relative to your own experience during play.
I personally couldn’t care less what anyone else uses or does.
People often decry cockpit cam, but I think by my results I show that it can be effective. Some cockpits have side and rear view mirror too. So 2 mirrors, more and better info on the cars attitude and rotation, better sound, trying other views now makes me feel very disconnected from the car, personally.

Last edited:
Conversely here’s a different view. This games amazing even if you just drive the different surfaces getting little slides here and there...You don’t have to be a pro to have fun in the dirt.
This is pretty sick tho imo. :)

Last edited:
Geez guys, I’m only suggesting cockpit view for ONE of the races that would be tailored towards realism.

and yes, I also think cockpit mode is competitive. For me, the advantages outweighed the negatives compared to other views. But peripheral vision is definitely not as good as other views. For cockpit view to truly be advantageous, you need triple monitors or VR.

I’m hoping for VR online racing with PS5

I like cockpit ...I’ve been playing these games for decades with chase cam...perspectives it’s all about different perspective...and it’s a video game pseudo-simulation

and yes, I also think cockpit mode is competitive. For me, the advantages outweighed the negatives compared to other views. But peripheral vision is definitely not as good as other views. For cockpit view to truly be advantageous, you need triple monitors or VR.

The only thing peripherally is the pillars, which can make some cars a bad choice on some tracks, but peripherally you actually see more in cockpit. You can park a car switch views and see this. It’s very slight but you can see wider fov, albeit slightly.
Imo cockpit is advantageous because of the added visual info about how your inputs are affecting the car.
I’ve found after using it a long time on the good cockpit cars, you get more awareness not less given the added mirror coverage. Downside is you need a pretty big screen.
Other downsides-having to switch seating positions, plus you can tell some cars weren’t meant for cockpit during development.
Imo since I’m much faster using cockpit it’s advantageous to me.
Lots of people dismiss it as inferior but they are all wrong. Like anything you gotta spend more than a little time in it to acclimate.
I think though if the screens not big enough it’s very bad.
People often say triples are needed but you’ve got mirrors AND radar in this game, awareness should be easy.
Jmo, I always get a little riled up when people say cockpit view isn’t advantageous. I mean what more could I do to prove otherwise? I will say I do just fine in sport mode using it.

All views are outside of the car. It's a 2D picture on a screen in front of you.

The only thing peripherally is the pillars, which can make some cars a bad choice on some tracks, but peripherally you actually see more in cockpit. You can park a car switch views and see this. It’s very slight but you can see wider fov, albeit slightly.
Imo cockpit is advantageous because of the added visual info about how your inputs are affecting the car.
I’ve found after using it a long time on the good cockpit cars, you get more awareness not less given the added mirror coverage. Downside is you need a pretty big screen.
Other downsides-having to switch seating positions, plus you can tell some cars weren’t meant for cockpit during development.
Imo since I’m much faster using cockpit it’s advantageous to me.
Lots of people dismiss it as inferior but they are all wrong. Like anything you gotta spend more than a little time in it to acclimate.
I think though if the screens not big enough it’s very bad.
People often say triples are needed but you’ve got mirrors AND radar in this game, awareness should be easy.
Jmo, I always get a little riled up when people say cockpit view isn’t advantageous. I mean what more could I do to prove otherwise? I will say I do just fine in sport mode using it.
I actually like cockpit view, but the impossible placement of most mirrors makes it so you can't see them without moving the view. For what it's worth I wouldn't mind if everyone else drove in cockpit view, I just totally fsil to see why anyone would benefit from forcing the way others look at their screen. If you feel better in cockpit view I am not going to force chase view or bumper view (what I use, eith radar,) upon you. Because from my POW you are in cockpit because I see your car as a real car.
By all means, if PD decided to have several additional races a week upon the rather limited set we have now I wouldn't mind if one was locked into cockpit view. It would likely cut the player base for that race by 90% but I wouldn't care. You should though. Edit: mot you @Groundfish , but those who wants cockpit only

Last edited:

Yes, you’re only asking for 33% of the all daily races to cater to the what, 5% or less, of people who use a wheel? That’s not being selfish at all, is it? Come on man.

GT Sport is not a simulator, just look at this weeks races:

Race A: Real cars, fake track
Race B: Fake cars, real track
Race C, Mixture of real/fake cars, fake track

I think that is a bigger realism issue than who is using a controller/wheel.
You may find this shocking but many players may not even have a drivers license in real life. :eek:

If someone playing a shooting game was complaining about the realism they'd be a psycho. You could almost say that the ability to separate the 2 was the definition of sanity.

In the end it doesn’t matter. I think the only thing we could realistically expect from PD would be if they gave us Deep Forest or something

You may find this shocking but many players may not even have a drivers license in real life. :eek:

If someone playing a shooting game was complaining about the realism they'd be a psycho. You could almost say that the ability to separate the 2 was the definition of sanity.
I’m willing to bet maybe 1/3 of all players worldwide have drivers licenses. And that’s probably an overstatement

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end it doesn’t matter. I think the only thing we could realistically expect from PD would be if they gave us Deep Forest or something

I’m willing to bet maybe 1/3 of all players worldwide have drivers licenses. And that’s probably an overstatement
I think it's a lot less. In my household we are 5 that play GTS. I am the only one with a license

I think your right. Besides, USA is the only major country where it’s common for young people to drive. But even the younger generation these days are in zero hurry to get a license. Or a real job...or a house...or a grownup lifestyle

The other thing that needs mentioning about cockpit view (well actually all views) is that in GTS it's only realistic and accurate if you are fortunate enough to have screen size and distance from screen combo that is correct for GTS's FOV setting, as it's not adjustable.

Obviously, it's correct in VR, but outside of that, you are basically just down to luck if it is correct, the title really needs to have adjustable FOV, which is one of the minimum options for any title that wants to claim to be a sim should have.

I think your right. Besides, USA is the only major country where it’s common for young people to drive. But even the younger generation these days are in zero hurry to get a license. Or a real job...or a house...or a grownup lifestyle
In the UK around 50% of under 25's hold a full driving licence, 47% of 15 to 24 year olds have at least one job, with house prices being the key reason why most can't get a house (it's not a lack of desire, it the imbalance between the cost of a mortgage and earnings), as for 'a grownup lifestyle', what the hell even is that? I ask as a 50-year-old man (with kids, a grandchild, a house and a full-time managerial job) posting on a forum for video games!

The myth of lazy, entitled youth is just that, a myth. A tory tosser told my generation to get on our bikes in the '80s (after they screwed the economy for anyone but their mates), and the following...

“We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”

was said in 1925 (yet reads like yesterdays Daily Mail)!

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/articl...ple-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not see my point being twisted in that way. I was trying to point out how irrelevant a license in real life is to playing GT. But I guess it was interpreted in a completely different way.

Uhm no. Other titles offer laser scanned real circuits. Better representation of real cars. Time of day and weather. Better more realistic tuning. Is GTS a great looking game,yes. If they could combine AC physics,Project Cars tracks and cars and GTS polish and visuals that would be perfect. Now if you go on PC GTS get absolutely destroyed and isn't even in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back