Gran Turismo Sport E3 2017 Hands-On Impressions

Did you have any chance to test the demo with a dualshock?? for all of us that only have a wheel that is not working for the PS4 :(

Sadly, no! GT was actually the only game we didn't try with a controller. We wanted to, but never got around to it.

That said, the version of the game felt largely the same, physics-wise, as the current beta. I can provide some feedback on that, if you'd like.

For such an incredible high priced wheel, i would have expected more praise. For the price of that wheel alone you could get an xbox one x AND a g920...

Eh, sticker price and praise levels are not connected. :P

It's not a bad wheel by any means, but it didn't blow our socks off. As mentioned though, there's still fine-tuning taking place — and if you're buying it for GT, those dials really are handy.

We definitely want to revisit the T-GT for a review as well once it's consumer-ready. We'll also be reviewing a competitor in the near future, so keep an eye out.

Did you have any chance to test the demo with a dualshock?? for all of us that only have a wheel that is not working for the PS4 :(
I did not see GT Sport available to play anywhere at E3 with a DualShock. However, the physics felt the same as those found in the beta, as best I could tell, so there's not much to add to all the other opinions posted here over the past month or so.

Thanks for the impressions guys.

Is there any reason you skipped over the graphics side of things?

Is there any reason you skipped over the graphics side of things?
No, there's not much to add other than it looked incredible running at 4K in HDR on the high-end Sony TVs being used.

We (and you guys) have seen and played it so much in the beta, there wasn't much new to take away from the experience in either regard.

No, there's not much to add other than it looked incredible running at 4K in HDR on the high-end Sony TVs being used.

We (and you guys) have seen and played it so much in the beta, there wasn't much new to take away from the experience in either regard.

Not me for the beta :grumpy: haha, but I guess I'm in the minority here!

Thanks for the info though! VR sounds like a pretty decent experience (did they mention if the VR was on the PS4 pro btw?)

Thanks for the info though! VR sounds like a pretty decent experience (did they mention if the VR was on the PS4 pro btw?)
It was a decent experience, yes. With every other VR gameplay session that I've had, after the initial gee-whiz factor wears off in the first minute or so, I'm ready for it to be over. That was not the case with GT Sport VR — I wanted to keep playing after my time was up, and I'm looking forward to my next opportunity with it. That's a good sign.

Having said that... it definitely isn't perfect. Aside from the typical drawbacks/complaints of PSVR's resolution (though honestly, it doesn't bother me so much), it was quite jarring when the hardware lost track of my headset, which removes the immersion and places what appears to be a floating "screen" out in front of you. It caused me to lose control of the car and would have been devastating in a race or competitive environment. That's not GT Sport's fault, just an inherent limitation with the way the current hardware works.

I don't recall seeing any mention that we were playing VR on a PS4 Pro. The only mention of the "Pro" hardware that I recall was a GT Sport demo running on a massive, 100+ inch Sony 4K HDR TV set (and yes, that looked as good as you think it would). :drool:

Probably a useless question, but did the demo there provide any chances to test the game in the rain? or at least fog?

I did not see GT Sport available to play anywhere at E3 with a DualShock. However, the physics felt the same as those found in the beta, as best I could tell, so there's not much to add to all the other opinions posted here over the past month or so.

Is the T-GT even an upgrade on the T300? is the improved FFB tangible?

Is the T-GT even an upgrade on the T300? is the improved FFB tangible?
It's supposed to be substantially stronger and there's this:
With the same goal of providing even more genuine car racing sensations, T-DFB (Depth Feedback) – a major innovation – introduces a new dimension with respect to Force Feedback. As a complement to standard Force Feedback, this unique, completely novel system adds a new range of effects including tire adherence (grip or slippage) in understeering and oversteering, mass transfers, road textures and irregularities, suspension and other parameters specific to each vehicle and circuit. This unique system is a Gran Turismo® Sport exclusive. Polyphony Digital® has encoded all of these parameters and incorporated this new information into the T-DFB system, for a level of in-depth sensations in the steering column that’s never been possible until now. In this way, these two different worlds – racing simulation, and real-world racing – are coming closer together than ever before. The T-GT is a “Real Simulator” in the truest sense.

Whas the GT3 RS playable? I saa something about that elsewhere but dont saw it!

And how does the 5 cilinder Quattro sounded??

The new Veyron Gr.4...

I haven't been keeping up with GT Sport news recently, so please tell me that there will be more information about this car. :drool:

Also, great write up! The VR experience is espescially interesting.

It's supposed to be substantially stronger and there's this:

What you quoted is just marketing BS. If that "Depth Feedback" stuff is such a significant improvement over current implementations, the people who got to test the wheel at E3 would have raved about it, but all impressions seem to be lukewarm. We should probably reserve judgement until PD and Thrustmaster are done tweaking the input drivers, though.

It was a decent experience, yes. With every other VR gameplay session that I've had, after the initial gee-whiz factor wears off in the first minute or so, I'm ready for it to be over. That was not the case with GT Sport VR — I wanted to keep playing after my time was up, and I'm looking forward to my next opportunity with it. That's a good sign.

Having said that... it definitely isn't perfect. Aside from the typical drawbacks/complaints of PSVR's resolution (though honestly, it doesn't bother me so much), it was quite jarring when the hardware lost track of my headset, which removes the immersion and places what appears to be a floating "screen" out in front of you. It caused me to lose control of the car and would have been devastating in a race or competitive environment. That's not GT Sport's fault, just an inherent limitation with the way the current hardware works.

I don't recall seeing any mention that we were playing VR on a PS4 Pro. The only mention of the "Pro" hardware that I recall was a GT Sport demo running on a massive, 100+ inch Sony 4K HDR TV set (and yes, that looked as good as you think it would). :drool:

Thanks for the in-depth reply Jordan, much appreciated. And cheers @SlipZtrEm for the article!

I haven't been keeping up with GT Sport news recently, so please tell me that there will be more information about this car. :drool:

Well, there have been screenshots where you could spot or obviously see the Veyron Gr.4. Hell, there has even been some gameplay with the Veyron uploaded to YouTube! :)

What you quoted is just marketing BS. If that "Depth Feedback" stuff is such a significant improvement over current implementations, the people who got to test the wheel at E3 would have raved about it, but all impressions seem to be lukewarm. We should probably reserve judgement until PD and Thrustmaster are done tweaking the input drivers, though.
Do you have a link to show that it's just "BS" and not actually true? Just because you can't feel it in GTS doesn't mean the work wasn't done by Thrustmaster to begin with.

I had the T300RS for a short period playing GT6 and felt it detracted from the gameplay, too. That it 'buzzes' in your hands is entirely accurate. Spot on review.

It's hard to give it a fair shake in terms of performance: I had <10 minutes with it, and was so focused on the race itself that I couldn't spend too much time trying to pick up on the nuances. This was compounded by trying to figure out as much as I could about the T-GT simultaneously!

Going by the brief experience, the Veyron seems like a contender in Gr.4. I get the feeling it'll lose out on higher-speed circuits: it's all about low-speed grunt and safe handling, so it rockets out of corners. It felt quite similar to the GT-R that currently dominates the beta, but with even more neutral (almost understeering) handling.

VR was a big success for me. I didn't run into any connection issues during my time with it, but I can see how what @Jordan described could completely ruin the experience in the heat of a race.

For me, the big win for VR is the immersion, and I'd happily trade the current resolution drop for it, even if I had a triple-screen setup. That said, it requires you to completely cut yourself off from the outside world: for some folks, that might not be preferable. For example, during the media races, we were all sitting in the rigs within talking (yelling :P) distance. As @Tom commentated, we could look over and interact with other drivers. It was a fun, casual atmosphere that I think would be lost with VR, even with a mic and headset.

That gets me on a whole other subject on why I believe live events are the only real way forward for racing esports, but that's another kettle of fish!

Going by the brief experience, the Veyron seems like a contender in Gr.4. I get the feeling it'll lose out on higher-speed circuits: it's all about low-speed grunt and safe handling, so it rockets out of corners. It felt quite similar to the GT-R that currently dominates the beta, but with even more neutral (almost understeering) handling.
Do you think the Veyron could dominate the Gr.4 class alongside the currently-dominating R35?

Also IIRC, in one of the off-screen gameplay videos on YouTube, one of the GTP representatives drove a Huracan (was it @Jordan?) on a Gr.4 race at Brands Hatch. If it's true, I would like to hear more about this car. I hope you wouldn't mind. :cheers:

Do you think the Veyron could dominate the Gr.4 class alongside the currently-dominating R35?

Also IIRC, in one of the off-screen gameplay videos on YouTube, one of the GTP representatives drove a Huracan (was it @Jordan?) on a Gr.4 race at Brands Hatch. If it's true, I would like to hear more about this car. I hope you wouldn't mind. :cheers:
It handled and sounded great, best I could tell, but it wasn't quite as fast as the other cars in the field so I didn't feel competitive with it, unfortunately.

Have to correct you there, the GT-R is no longer dominating in Gr4. If anything, I'd say the Scirocco is. It's just that not as many people like driving FWD so you don't see if as of often as the GT-R, but more and more of them keep showing up though, especially on the Nurburgring. :) Cars like the Megane, Genesis and 4C can also get pretty close with the right tune. I'm not saying they got the BoP right yet though, it does still need a lot of work to get all of the cars competetive, not just a few.

Have to correct you there, the GT-R is no longer dominating in Gr4. If anything, I'd say the Scirocco is. It's just that not as many people like driving FWD so you don't see if as of often as the GT-R, but more and more of them keep showing up though, especially on the Nurburgring. :) Cars like the Megane, Genesis and 4C can also get pretty close with the right tune. I'm not saying they got the BoP right yet though, it does still need a lot of work to get all of the cars competetive, not just a few.
I used to see top ten lap time lists but I don't see them posted anymore. Are they still available and which cars are dominating them, if any?

Not me for the beta :grumpy: haha, but I guess I'm in the minority here!

co-minority reporting here, cheers for the info and writeup!

I used to see top ten lap time lists but I don't see them posted anymore. Are they still available and which cars are dominating them, if any?

Yeah not that much is being posted anymore about the beta as in the beginning it seems. :P You notice this in game and on the beta forums as well, a lot less players taking part in the beta now. But I guess that just happens in such a long beta.

As for your question. Leaderbords for N300 are usually Audi TTS and Mitsubishi Lancer Evo with sometimes a Lotus Evora somewhere inbetween. For Gr4 it's 50/50 Scirocco and GT-R. And for Gr3 it really depends on the track. Some tracks the GT-R dominates because of a crazy fast, and in my opinion unrealistic, tune (Willow/Brands), Nurburgring the Genesis does. But on ovals it's usually the VGT's that dominate.

So yeah, the bad thing is that after such a long time the BoP is still not good enough. It might work fine for non tuned cars but with almost everyone using tunes some cars definately perform a lot better than others. But then again, things like the Subaru WRX STI N300 getting 95% power and 110% weight BoP is just ridiculous and doesn't help at all to make it competetive, even if no tunes were allowed. It has such a low top speed AND bad cornering compared to the other cars because of it, it's just impossible to win in that car even with a very good tune. It should definately be on the same level as the Lancer Evo which surprisingly gets a way better BoP. And then I'm not even mentioning the FWD Megane and Focus yet which have it even worse. :P N300 definately needs the biggest improvements for BoP in the final game.

Back