Gran Turismo Sport feels like a time machine

Brazil
Curitiba
Long time GT fan, I was never interested on GTS because it seemed to me that its focus on online gameplay wasn't for me: I don't like to be reminded that I'm not the world's greatest racing driver, nor I care enough about games to simply abdicate from my obligations in order to be competitive on a racing game. So, yeah, when it came out I thought: Poliphony don't care about me and that's fine.

But was also sad because, man, all the sweet memories about Gran Turismo games, every single one of them up to GT6, were part of me, my passion about motorsport and cars. It was sad to feel that GT was no more, that I'd simply have to make do with other games that, as good as they can be - and surely there are quite great simulators to choose from nowadays - none of them would have the same feel, the same aurora, the same "purposeful weirdness" of somethings that you'll only find in GT games.

Than a friend of mine, who has a far less sophisticated taste for racing games and knows next to nothing about motorports bought GT Sport and told me awesome things about the game. I couldn't accept that I was wrong and decided to see for myself.

Downloaded the game a couple weeks ago, but didn't have the guts to boot it up and see for myself. I didn't want to be disappointed again with some baffling gameplay design choice by Poliphony, I didn't want to be shocked about half-assed content as I was on GT5 and 6, I didn't want it to be yet another chapter on a dying icon, so I simply didn't played.

Until I did because after this whole crazy month with Le Mans and Nurburgring 24H I was craving for more racing. And I'm more than pleased or impressed, I'm quite stunned by what Poliphony achieved: the game is far from perfect, but is such a huge step forward from previous instalments that it felt for me as I was a 13 y-old again, who was once completely transfixed by this inovative racing game with actual cars, those incredible replays and all that. I'm not overstating things: it really felt like being amazed all over again by a racing game as I was all those years ago.

Gran Turismo Sport is amazing, it screams quality at every point. That screen with random facts is a great summarization of the "weirdness" (I don't quite know a right expression for it in English, so "weirdness" will do) of any PD work: no other racing game in the world will tell you the year of the first Bob Marley record, let alone in a elegant, "right" way. Feels like booting up the first GT to find that you have to prove yourself and get a license before racing, or blasting through Apricott Hill on GT4, or that you need a spreadsheet in order to find the exact day to look for some random car on GT5: Only on Gran Turismo.

I'm glad that I finally took the time to play GT Sport, specially after years of heavy criticism towards PD in the dark days of GT5 and GT6: it seems that they somehow listened, the cars sound great, the GT4 era assets are long gone, the UI is great, the long requested livery editor blew my mind away, everything just works as it should and, for the most part, I didn't found anything that just didn't belong in the game (like, you know, that infamous lunar rover on a racing game). From what I managed to explore, the game has to major flaws:

- The concept cars. OK, look, I know that is nice to have major manufacturers design cars just for your game. It is, this kind of access just underscores the impact a GT game has. But that said, hot-wheelesque pipedream cars have absolutely no business minglying with some of the greatest racing cars the world has ever seen, period. Sorry, but it feels wrong, fake and empty and a small part of me cringes whenever I see some Star Wars like design exercise on the same track as a mighty LMP1 or Group C car.

- I've got the platinum trophy on GT5 and GT6 because I had time to spare to play videogames and all of that. It really upsets me knowing that I'm not going to get the platinum trophy on Sport because 91 wins/65 poles is borderline insane for a busy adult which is as average as a (digital) racing driver can get.

Last edited:
Lifelong GT fan who claims every entry has been “a part of him,” completely writes off GT Sport without even playing it one single time? Suspect.

Sounds to me like you’re conflating nostalgia and genuine interest in the GT franchise.

Personally, I didn’t keep up on the development of GTS, and I wasn’t even aware it had been released, and I still bought it release week without thinking twice about it. I paid $80 too because, what are the odds that there would be a bad Gran Turismo game? To me, next to zero. But I consider myself a fan, so...

Lifelong GT fan who claims every entry has been “a part of him,” completely writes off GT Sport without even playing it one single time? Suspect.

Not sure what you are implying with "suspect", but I don't really care about online multiplayer focused games and the bad impressions from the GT5 to GT6 cycle had decidedly put me away from the series. So, again, what is suspect about it?

Sounds to me like you’re conflating nostalgia and genuine interest in the GT franchise.

Not at all. Nostalgia would be saying that the older games were better, and they aren't.

Personally, I didn’t keep up on the development of GTS, and I wasn’t even aware it had been released, and I still bought it release week without thinking twice about it. I paid $80 too because, what are the odds that there would be a bad Gran Turismo game? To me, next to zero. But I consider myself a fan, so...

Oh, I see. You can only be a "true" fan as long as you blindly buy something day one, without reservations or criticism. I get it, you can totally revoke my GT fan card, I'm really sorry for not be up to your standards. I'll make sure to leave it on the way out.

I’ve played every GT apart from GT6. By then I’d already moved onto PS4. GT Sport is light years ahead of older GT’s. Arguably the biggest leap forward yet.

Fundamental things like UI, physics, sound, online. Such a tremendous leap forward. Of course there are still many things that need to be added. But the base game is fantastic and gives me great hope for a fully fleshed out GT7.

Welcome back! Enjoy yourself, there is a lot of fun to be had on and offline at this point. I too enjoy the oddities that make GT unique. I see you have discovered GT Planet is now loaded with people waiting to jump on you for enjoying it, and will nitpick your every word-you've already basically been called a liar for your positive vibes!

There's been an 18 month long competition here to see who has the worst case of GTOCD, and quite a few are still pushing for victory.

What's GTOCD? That's when you can't play (or even read about) GT Sport without putting a laser-focus on what's wrong or hasn't been 'fixed' yet. Example? Every single game update, one guy takes the time to make a video about how easy it is to roll over a Mini. It gets a lot of likes.

The game is far more enjoyable than the website. Have fun.

I've mentioned I've bought every GT games from the onset, bar some special versions like the BMW demo. I even bought the first game in 1997 as I had a hook up back then. I bought Japanese versions as I had the chip in my console. Also had Japanese consoles from earlier years. Every GT I pre-ordered. I still didn't buy GTS on debut. Mainly because I wasn't an online player.

When I read the reviews on here, I still didn't get the game. After GT League was added, is when I jumped in. Doesn't make a long time GT fan suspect.

GT fan didn't realize a new game was in development? Suspect.

. From what I managed to explore, the game has to major flaws:

- The concept cars. OK, look, I know that is nice to have major manufacturers design cars just for your game. It is, this kind of access just underscores the impact a GT game has. But that said, hot-wheelesque pipedream cars have absolutely no business minglying with some of the greatest racing cars the world has ever seen, period. Sorry, but it feels wrong, fake and empty and a small part of me cringes whenever I see some Star Wars like design exercise on the same track as a mighty LMP1 or Group C car.

- I got the platinum trophy on GT5 and GT6 because I had time to spare to play videogames and all of that. It really upsets me knowing that I'm not going to get the platinum trophy on Sport because 91 wins/65 poles is borderline insane for a busy adult which is as average as a (digital) racing driver can get.

The most major flaw IMO, is the fact that your garage could be erased at any random time due to their servers and perhaps being an online-only game, leading to save data corruption. It happened to me, and if you search, plenty of other folks. It totally deflated my opinion on GTS.

No matter how "good" the updates are, and I do like them, the fact Kaz has yet to set-up an official GTS support team for game issues like this, much like Turn 10 and others already have, is questionable.

Welcome back! Enjoy yourself, there is a lot of fun to be had on and offline at this point. I too enjoy the oddities that make GT unique. I see you have discovered GT Planet is now loaded with people waiting to jump on you for enjoying it, and will nitpick your every word-you've already basically been called a liar for your positive vibes!

There's been an 18 month long competition here to see who has the worst case of GTOCD, and quite a few are still pushing for victory.

What's GTOCD? That's when you can't play (or even read about) GT Sport without putting a laser-focus on what's wrong or hasn't been 'fixed' yet. Example? Every single game update, one guy takes the time to make a video about how easy it is to roll over a Mini. It gets a lot of likes.

The game is far more enjoyable than the website. Have fun.

Thanks! But, as I said, I was once a huge critic of the previous instalments, even on this very forum, so It'll be interesting to read the heavy nitpicking from the other side of the fence for once. In any case, I find nice to be able to enjoy a GT game as something new and without reservations and being a wiser man, I'm sure I can endure the wildly criticism without geting upset.

I'm sure that I'll eventually find things wrong with GTS, but the first impressions are extremely positive and I'm kinda happy that I didn't got it on launch, since it was more barebones.

The most major flaw IMO, is the fact that your garage could be erased at any random time due to their servers and perhaps being an online-only game, leading to save data corruption. It happened to me, and if you search, plenty of other folks. It totally deflated my opinion on GTS.

No matter how "good" the updates are, and I do like them, the fact Kaz has yet to set-up an official GTS support team for game issues like this, much like Turn 10 and others already have, is questionable.

I didn't know that and you are right to be upset: games corrupting saves at this point are unacceptable. Knowing this, I'll be making sure that my saves are always up to date in the PS Plus cloud.

About the support, you mean like a official forum? If that is the case, I'm under the impression that it won't ever happen, it doesn't seem to fit with the Poliphony way, they always gave me the impression that they would like to stay a bit away from the fan base. And looking just at somethings in this thread in a huge fan forum, I kinda understand why.

I didn't know that and you are right to be upset: games corrupting saves at this point are unacceptable. Knowing this, I'll be making sure that my saves are always up to date in the PS Plus cloud.
If you save your save game data to PS Plus cloud for backup it will be useless, because if you have problems with your current save like a corrupt save, your save game data backup from PS Plus cloud will not overwrite that corrupt save.

I think also people need to think outside their western centric sort of view.

I Know this place is very strongly US UK EU AU CAN and those generally affluent western nations.

Even so I know people here (AU) who look at me like I'm weird because I bought a $400 console in 2014 in waiting for a late 2017 single game title.

Back in the PS3 days it wasnt so bad... ie. I bought a $200 console to play GT5 and 6 which were like $29 titles at the time.

So if you're in a country that has high tariffs on consoles and maybe a console is two weeks wages or more then yeah... I can see how people have to think before you become a real "Gran Turismo" fan.

About the support, you mean like a official forum? If that is the case, I'm under the impression that it won't ever happen, it doesn't seem to fit with the Poliphony way, they always gave me the impression that they would like to stay a bit away from the fan base. And looking just at somethings in this thread in a huge fan forum, I kinda understand why.

Nah, not a forum. Playstation as a brand has their own "official" forums, but there's no real official help on there. It would be too much to manage if PD had one. Since PD does have a website and we can login to it, a ticketing system like Turn 10/PG has in place would be ideal.

Nah, not a forum. Playstation as a brand has their own "official" forums, but there's no real official help on there. It would be too much to manage if PD had one. Since PD does have a website and we can login to it, a ticketing system like Turn 10/PG has in place would be ideal.
I really don’t see how that would be too much for them to handle, considering it’s what many already do with a much larger player base.

Long time GT fan, I was never interested on GTS because it seemed to me that its focus on online gameplay wasn't for me: I don't like to be reminded that I'm not the world's greatest racing driver, nor I care enough about games to simply abdicate from my obligations in order to be competitive on a racing game. So, yeah, when it came out I thought: Poliphony don't care about me and that's fine.

But was also sad because, man, all the sweet memories about Gran Turismo games, every single one of them up to GT6, were part of me, my passion about motorsport and cars. It was sad to feel that GT was no more, that I'd simply have to make do with other games that, as good as they can be - and surely there are quite great simulators to choose from nowadays - none of them would have the same feel, the same aurora, the same "purposeful weirdness" of somethings that you'll only find in GT games.

Than a friend of mine, who has a far less sophisticated taste for racing games and knows next to nothing about motorports bought GT Sport and told me awesome things about the game. I couldn't accept that I was wrong and decided to see for myself.

Downloaded the game a couple weeks ago, but didn't have the guts to boot it up and see for myself. I didn't want to be disappointed again with some baffling gameplay design choice by Poliphony, I didn't want to be shocked about half-assed content as I was on GT5 and 6, I didn't want it to be yet another chapter on a dying icon, so I simply didn't played.

Until I did because after this whole crazy month with Le Mans and Nurburgring 24H I was craving for more racing. And I'm more than pleased or impressed, I'm quite stunned by what Poliphony achieved: the game is far from perfect, but is such a huge step forward from previous instalments that it felt for me as I was a 13 y-old again, who was once completely transfixed by this inovative racing game with actual cars, those incredible replays and all that. I'm not overstating things: it really felt like being amazed all over again by a racing game as I was all those years ago.

Gran Turismo Sport is amazing, it screams quality at every point. That screen with random facts is a great summarization of the "weirdness" (I don't quite know a right expression for it in English, so "weirdness" will do) of any PD work: no other racing game in the world will tell you the year of the first Bob Marley record, let alone in a elegant, "right" way. Feels like booting up the first GT to find that you have to prove yourself and get a license before racing, or blasting through Apricott Hill on GT4, or that you need a spreadsheet in order to find the exact day to look for some random car on GT5: Only on Gran Turismo.

I'm glad that I finally took the time to play GT Sport, specially after years of heavy criticism towards PD in the dark days of GT5 and GT6: it seems that they somehow listened, the cars sound great, the GT4 era assets are long gone, the UI is great, the long requested livery editor blew my mind away, everything just works as it should and, for the most part, I didn't found anything that just didn't belong in the game (like, you know, that infamous lunar rover on a racing game). From what I managed to explore, the game has to major flaws:

- I've got the platinum trophy on GT5 and GT6 because I had time to spare to play videogames and all of that. It really upsets me knowing that I'm not going to get the platinum trophy on Sport because 91 wins/65 poles is borderline insane for a busy adult which is as average as a (digital) racing driver can get.
With all that you have said here, let's just hope that GT7 will be a much better game than what GT Sport has to offer. :)

GT Sport feels like a time machine because Kaz/PD seemed to have used the same game from 1997 and added 'improvements' on top of it to keep up with modern tastes.

You can always tell you are playing GT by the way a car sounds and how it goes off the track, it's very different feel to other racing sims/games.

If you save your save game data to PS Plus cloud for backup it will be useless, because if you have problems with your current save like a corrupt save, your save game data backup from PS Plus cloud will not overwrite that corrupt save.

Welp, USB drives to the rescue then.

I too have stopped watching films and TV shows as I don't want to be reminded I'm not the best looking person in the world.

(Glad you like the game :D:tup:)

I made my peace with not being the best looking person in the world. Not being the greatest racing driver ever? Not so much.

Last edited:
So it will stops you from making changes to your game save via a 3rd party program. The server save is the only one you got.

Even worse, since It's pointless. I got curious and after a quick search on Google found savegames that you can reasign and sync with the game.

You're entiteled to your opinion but I absolutely love the concept cars. They aren't designed by Mattel they are designed by real car designers from manufacturers around the world unconstrained by budgets or sales projections.

Like a lot of games in a long running series, they have a great initiation impression with new menus and features but underneath the skin there's a lot of 'legacy features'.

Granted no one does front end user interface quite as professionally as PD however we all know there's a bunch of things changed for the worse and 'streamlined' for a new audience, a few changes for the worse and stuff that hasnt changed at all.

You can also level this at the competition.

Yes with other games you can resign, but GTS you can not.

Apparently you can.

You're entiteled to your opinion but I absolutely love the concept cars. They aren't designed by Mattel they are designed by real car designers from manufacturers around the world unconstrained by budgets or sales projections.

I don't have anything against concept cars. As stated, what annoys me is mixing unfeasible design exercises with silly science fiction powertrains and whatnot with real, sometimes classic and historic, race cars, it feels wrong.

They should be kept on a class of their own, far away from real race cars.

Apparently you can.

I don't have anything against concept cars. As stated, what annoys me is mixing unfeasible design exercises with silly science fiction powertrains and whatnot with real, sometimes classic and historic, race cars, it feels wrong.

They should be kept on a class of their own, far away from real race cars.

Id rather have 35 different R34 GTRs than all of the vision cars. Even the ones that look kind of cool are huge letdowns, like you can't even tune them..

Some kids like driving them though so let's just enjoy what's good for us.

In terms of cars, GTSport is more "Gran Turismo" than GT5 and 6. I mean, so many premium cars requested for years and probably many more to come. 22B STI, Supra RZ, NSX Type R first gen, AE86, Honda Beat... That sounds more like Gran Turismo than "Sport".

If you resign a GTS save on your computer and then connect to the internet on your PS4, to play GTS, you can not overwrite the server side save.

Well, all that's left is pray to the silicon gods to ensure my save never gets corrupted.

Back