Gran Turismo Sport Has Sold an Estimated 8 Million Copies

Even GT5 budget would be $69 million in todays money, allowing for inflation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

I guess somewhere around or above $100 million cost for GTS - say 200 staff @ $100k for 4 years -> $80 million, plus licensing, marketing, travel, events etc. (And there's the content for the monthly updates, but if I included that I'd have to subtract something for the GT6 updates).

Rough revenue estimate (so far)... 6.5 millon sales @ $30 -> $195 million, times 62% -> $121 million, not far from @GT6mebe 's figure.
(62% = 60% * 50% + 40% * 80%, for retail/digital split)

Sadly 100k is not the common salary for game dev, especially game dev in Japan.

As a casual observer looking in from the outside. It appears to me Sony are now investing more budget & resources into the GT franchise. At least compared to GTS’s initial development - culminating in the October 2017 launch.

After the strategic mistake of launching GT6 on PS3. Then PD being on the back foot content wise, having to essentially start from scratch. GTS had a strangely subdued launch. I believe Sony & PD knew they had a long road ahead to get back into the good books of fans. The gameplay fundamentals and quality were better than ever. But no getting away from it’s lack of content.

These past few years we’ve seen the rise of Esports, Sony’s need for a more diverse catalogue. Plus Sony’s direct rival, Microsoft, pushing Forza harder than ever. From commercial partnership’s to FIA World Tour production values. It all seems to have focused Sony & PD to get GT back on track.

Let’s also not forget we are now in a world where Backwards Compatibility will be a major player. Plus content produced for PS4 will be suitable for PS5. Helping spread development costs over multiple generations.

SCE better realise that GTS is quickly becoming their biggest GAAS game, if not already has become it.

Sadly 100k is not the common salary for game dev, especially game dev in Japan.

It's not how much they get paid, it's how much they cost inclusive of office space, equipment, taxes, health cover, .......

I'll admit it's still just a gross estimate, but close enough for our spitballing :)

Well the other issue with that is that no title from 20 years ago has ever been available to download off the PS Store to begin with ;). I'd assume licenses are the issue for the PS1/PS2 era games never showing up.

I honestly can't remember how digital versions of GT5 were handled, but GT6 is delisted now, and I imagine the same approach will happen to Sport when its successor arrives. The servers will probably shut down too, which puts Sport in a very strange position in terms of end-of-life status unless the entire structure is reworked so that it can still mostly function without calling home all the time.

For the past couple years MS has given away a Forza title the month before it gets delisted. Sony could possibly do that for GTS as a sort of "okay now you have zero excuses to not own this great game" move, but I think a PS+ listing coinciding with a big marketing push -- say, Monaco? -- would be a huge power play. The game is already discounted, and the nature of its DLC approach means having a larger player base to draw MT purchases from would help offset the freebie nature of the game that month. If it's done with a reasonable amount of support left too, then the positive word of mouth from all these new players could conceivably translate to more sales once it's off the PS+ listing.
Yep, you are correct. 👍

For some reason I had it in my mind that PS One Classics became part of the PS+ free games list, and therefore by extension, also PS2 games.
I had to check online to find a list of all free PS+ games, and the earliest console games were PS3 games.
PS One Classics only made it to the PS Store for purchase.

So I've definitely made an error there.
And this certainly increases the odds of GT Sport making the list, compared to what I was thinking earlier.

Thanks for the correction. 👍

It is really impossible to know how much profit (or losts) PD have from GTS. We don´t know how much money PD become from TAG Heuer, Michelin and other sponsors...

GTS also slowly became a PS4 seller, some thanks also go to Forza 7 as they messed up. (back in past forz3 and 4 where real GT challengers.)

Not sure honestly so probably not but I compared because it's a games as a service on the PS4. I know his wording may imply Sony games specifically but I feel that's just trying to narrow the field for no reason.

According to Kudosprime (which tends to under report by around 10%) GT Sport is now at 8.6m players/accounts. They may have officially already passed 9m. But according to Kudosprime figures they will pass that mark in a couple of months time.

I’m intrigued to see if GT Sport goes onto PS+ sometime this year. In recent months we’ve seen an increasing number of 1st Party titles hit the service. With micro-transactions and payable DLC it could be the ideal time to massively boost player numbers and income.

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=nb_players_per_week

Aside from the online events or activities, do these players only sign up for the monthly content from each update?

Aside from the online events or activities, do these players only sign up for the monthly content from each update?
All games have ongoing sales. It’s just Gran Turismo has always been particularly strong in terms of consistent sales across a generation.

Even now millions of PS4’s are being sold and a portion of those new owners will want a driving sim. DLC keeps the game in the spotlight but also keeps existing owners coming back to check out what’s new.

All games have ongoing sales. It’s just Gran Turismo has always been particularly strong in terms of consistent sales across a generation.

Even now millions of PS4’s are being sold and a portion of those new owners will want a driving sim. DLC keeps the game in the spotlight but also keeps existing owners coming back to check out what’s new.
Something also worth noting is that GT Sport is the latest and the current GT title with active servers plus the only GT for the PS4, unless PD decides to release another game for it although it seems unlikely.

Something also worth noting is that GT Sport is the latest and the current GT title with active servers plus the only GT for the PS4, unless PD decides to release another game for it although it seems unlikely.

I'm only going on my crappy female intuition that GT Sport will be around for a long time just because of the way they are releasing DLC.

Just say that XMas 2020 is the last month of DLC support... we get 12 dlc packs. I dont think they will cut support in say March 2021 because that means we only have 3 months of use of the last DLC pack?

THat doesnt make sense but then I'm not female.

I'm still of the opinion that they will run the same DLC content of PS4/5 until they are fully able to move to the next completely new title.

Good news: we are on GT Sport for quite a while.

Bad news: we are on GT Sport for quite a while.

I'm only going on my crappy female intuition that GT Sport will be around for a long time just because of the way they are releasing DLC.

Just say that XMas 2020 is the last month of DLC support... we get 12 dlc packs. I dont think they will cut support in say March 2021 because that means we only have 3 months of use of the last DLC pack?

I'm still of the opinion that they will run the same DLC content of PS4/5 until they are fully able to move to the next completely new title.

Lol what? :confused:

Support for GT Sport will still continue for a few years to come probably until both the PS5 and GT7 are out already. But whether the new GT game will be a launch title or not still remains a mystery.

Though I would not like to mention it for obvious reasons, another question is until when can PD offer these content for no additional price.

Your statement seemed to say that GT Sport support will continue until the next big thing comes out.

I think the way the DLC happens is unprecendented and hard to say if it will happen the same way as GT6.

With the way PD handled things about their stuff in the past, I don't know.

You could probably be right that support for the game will continue regardless if the new title is already out.

As for the DLCs, that depends if they'll be carried over there.

@emula: www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/<USER_ID>/ where <USER_ID> is a number above 1000000. Keep incrementing <USER_ID> by one until you receive an error - then subtract 999999 from the last working <USER_ID> (1000000 is the very first GTS account number) and you have the number of registered accounts. (That's not how I did it, though. I prefer to automate such tasks).

The last account registered as of this writing was <USER_ID> = 10769580 which means that there are was 9769581 registered accounts. So there has been about 9395 new registrations since my last post in this thread. That is ca. 550 new accounts per hour.

Edit: grammar.

Last edited:

Sony and PD certainly have more options going into next-gen thanks to Backwards Compatibility.

I do think a PS5 exclusive GT7 will be the focus. Maybe even shown at the upcoming PS5 reveal. But we could still have some kind of cross-over with Sport Mode on both systems for a year or two.

I think Sony's strategy is to have backwards compatibility for PS5 to play Ps4 games.
I believe they plan on supporting and launching titles in parallel for Ps4 for a few years while Ps5 is out.

I could see there being a GT7 ps5 version and a GT7 ps4 version being released, similar to how games run better on the Ps4 pro and ps4.

And I'm glad PD sold 8m copies of GT Sport, it means I get to keep playing Gran Turismo for a long time :D

I think Sony's strategy is to have backwards compatibility for PS5 to play Ps4 games.
I believe they plan on supporting and launching titles in parallel for Ps4 for a few years while Ps5 is out.

I could see there being a GT7 ps5 version and a GT7 ps4 version being released, similar to how games run better on the Ps4 pro and ps4.

And I'm glad PD sold 8m copies of GT Sport, it means I get to keep playing Gran Turismo for a long time :D
I'm not sure if PD can release the game for both platforms at the same time.

GT5 sold much more and the online servers were down pretty fast after GT6 released. Sony has handled a lot of their online games poorly in this regard.

@emula: www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/<USER_ID>/ where <USER_ID> is a number above 1000000. Keep incrementing <USER_ID> by one until you receive an error - then subtract 999999 from the last working <USER_ID> (1000000 is the very first GTS account number) and you have the number of registered accounts. (That's not how I did it, though. I prefer to automate such tasks).

The last account registered as of this writing was <USER_ID> = 10769580 which means that there are was 9769581 registered accounts. So there has been about 9395 new registrations since my last post in this thread. That is ca. 550 new accounts per hour.

Edit: grammar.

Thank you 👍

Sony and PD certainly have more options going into next-gen thanks to Backwards Compatibility

Backwards compatability doesn't mean games released for the PS5 have to be playable on older consoles, ie be non exclusive to PS5.

PS5 exclusives could be included in the backwards compatability conversation once a PS6 comes out.

When a publisher put out a game for PS3 and PS4, that had nothing to do with backwards compatability. One game was for the PS3 and the other for the PS4.

I do hope the next GT to be PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:
Kudosprime now says we've reached 10 million.

Gamestats has it at roughly 11.5 million.

April has been one of the best months for the game, mainly due to Covid-19.

I remember members were saying no chance when I said this will end up selling more than 6-7 million.

At this rate, it may even surpass Gran Turismo 5.

Latest Posts

Back