Gran Turismo Sport has Sold Around 3.3 Million Copies Worldwide

The days of driving games are over, it's all about playing the most mainstream games available and screw everything else. I heard and saw people who devotes their gaming to just one or two games like Fortnite Battle Royale and GTA Online. Some jerks made fun of me for thinking that some mainstream games (not gonna mention it here) are overrated.

I remember back in the day where some kids played games from Midnight Club 3 Remix to Need For Speed and Gran Turismo 4. I even remember some kids including me that played Midtown Madness on the PC. Nowadays, the only games people play are either mobile games like Clash Royale and PUBG & Fortnite or Console games like Fifa and Fortnite...again...Like i said before. Gran Turismo sold well back then because of numerous reasons but people have moved on since, people have changed.

Midnight club: Dead.
Burnout: We got the Paradise remaster but no proper sequel.
Driver: It turned into The Crew which i'm not a fan of.
Project Gotham: Dead.
Ridge Racer: Dead.
Driveclub: Sold poorly to the point that the studio had to be closed down.
Need For Speed Payback: Mixed opinions, the performance upgrade sucks.
Gran Turismo Sport: It tries to be an Esport title (Sport mode) and a traditional GT title (GT Mode and silly cars like BMW I3 and Mazda 6).
Forza Motorsport 7: The same thing every two year...

The only thing that's good we got are Forza Horizon and Mario Kart.

The days of driving games are over...
Limited maybe but not over - not yet. Semi-arcade is coming back it seems, we have several bike games now, more off road titles out there and new ones coming soon with Dakar Rally - there are even revamps of AG racing by several studios to try and replace Wipeout.

So for me, the rumours of driving games' death are greatly exaggerated.

The days of driving games are over, it's all about playing the most mainstream games available and screw everything else. I heard and saw people who devotes their gaming to just one or two games like Fortnite Battle Royale and GTA Online. Some jerks made fun of me for thinking that some mainstream games (not gonna mention it here) are overrated.

I remember back in the day where some kids played games from Midnight Club 3 Remix to Need For Speed and Gran Turismo 4. I even remember some kids including me that played Midtown Madness on the PC. Nowadays, the only games people play are either mobile games like Clash Royale and PUBG & Fortnite or Console games like Fifa and Fortnite...again...Like i said before. Gran Turismo sold well back then because of numerous reasons but people have moved on since, people have changed.

Midnight club: Dead.
Burnout: We got the Paradise remaster but no proper sequel.
Driver: It turned into The Crew which i'm not a fan of.
Project Gotham: Dead.
Ridge Racer: Dead.
Driveclub: Sold poorly to the point that the studio had to be closed down.
Need For Speed Payback: Mixed opinions, the performance upgrade sucks.
Gran Turismo Sport: It tries to be an Esport title (Sport mode) and a traditional GT title (GT Mode and silly cars like BMW I3 and Mazda 6).
Forza Motorsport 7: The same thing every two year...

The only thing that's good we got are Forza Horizon and Mario Kart.

Half of the games/series you mentioned haven’t returned/got canceled because the studios were shut down or moved on to something else.

IMO the racing genre fell a bit just simply because there was a period where most of the games from every studio just weren’t that “good”, starting a little bit after NFS Most Wanted (2005). Cars in general have decreased in mainstream appeal, but honestly lately it’s seemed like the genre’s been climbing a little bit. But it probably won’t ever be the top-dog genre unless the spotlight genre shines back in its direction - right now it’s all about the battle royale and accessible and plug-and-play mobile games.

I'd expected 5 Millions in life, so it's a good numbers ! :)

However, I think the days of driving games are over or nearly. I hope this genre will be more popular next years :indiff:

Driving games, especially simcade or sim, are less and less appealing due to their unforgiving nature I'd say as gaming becomes more and more mainstream

. Think about it from a game design perspective: these days the game really holds your hand and guides you through the experience whether it's singleplayer or a multiplayer match.

I don't think many gamers these days enjoy the "one and done" aspect of investing time into a race event, whether it be offline or online, and then crashing out due to a small error, and losing any hope of getting first place without restarting.

Personally, I love how unforgiving motorsport is, and how unforgiving online racing can be, but I feel like I am in a small minority of gamers playing AAA titles.

However, I think the days of driving games are over or nearly. I hope this genre will be more popular next years :indiff:

If you look at sim setups, people spend big dollars on a sim. Some cost $100,000. A play wheel costs a couple of hundred. But get a better wheel, good pedals, a handbrake and a gear shift, your spending $1,000. (A direct drive wheel alone costs a few grand). Then add a basic cockpit at $600 or more. Then add a moving seat, your spending a few thousand. A whole moving platform, your spending thousands - the sky's the limit.

There's lots of companies making sim gear and its changing - direct drive wheels will become mass marketable as their prices decrease. Meanwhile the license to race other people will provide Sony income annually. There'll be more income from racing each other than the minor cost of buying the game.

On line racing is the future and its far from dead. Just look at the growth in the hardware, that makes the cost of a game insignificant.

Not really the best but still not bad sales it will increase from there.

Unfortunately most dont care about racing games that are based on circuits all do people care about is free roam nothing else.

A lot of my family and friends dont like racing games unless if its free roam. Sad thing is they call circuit based racing games as boring and too busy playing COD, Fifa, Battlefield or that fornite crap.

Last edited:
Looks like everyone is happy with GTAV (or a similar action game what offers to drive), where you jump into the car, then you crash it. No matter how bad and unrealistic the physics are.

At least FH3 is selling well.

2 thoughts (and a bad example):

• 3.3 M sold, while it is even not ready. The always changing (and still defective) penalty system should be the core of esport functionality. From this aspect, 3.3M is a huge number.

• "The days of driving games are over..." In real life, the days of driving itself is getting over. Whoever sad driving is for everyone? Driving (and further on: motorsports) is a small segment of life, of sports. If its market seems to get narrow, then it has just found its proper place. From this aspect also, 3.3M is a huge number.

(One can say driving is an everyday task of the most people, that's why its important an widely beloved. OK. Coffee making (and drinking) is also an everyday routine. How often do you attend to barista competitions? ;) How big success could be a barista game on PS? For the ones who fond of it, but how big crowd they are?)

GTS is a very poor game from a solo player perspective and it is only a little better than GT6 which is now just a silly chase the rabbit and dodge the mobile chicanes game. The only other thing it can do is time attack. Both poor sellers

GT5, on the other hand, is still a fully featured GT game. Funny how it sold so well and yet people still say poor sales are down to anything that isn't poor game design and not making a proper GT game by PD.

Limited maybe but not over - not yet. Semi-arcade is coming back it seems, we have several bike games now, more off road titles out there and new ones coming soon with Dakar Rally - there are even revamps of AG racing by several studios to try and replace Wipeout.

So for me, the rumours of driving games' death are greatly exaggerated.

I'm really tired of the denial I'm going to kill the argument once and for all with cold hard numbers ( source Wikipedia listhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_driving_and_racing_video_games / Metacritic counts any game with cars as racing, just look at rocket league, it's under racing)

Ps1: 49
PS2 : 105
PS3: 72
PS4: 14

XBOX : 62 ( this console had a two- 3 year lifespan)
360: 85
ONE: 21

N64: 19
Gamecube :31
WII : 39
WIIU : 8
Switch: 14 ( mostly IOS ports )

Yeah totally exaggerating. and most of the pc games released are on console too .

Its clear racing peaked during the PS2 days and is on a decline. To top it off the current gen and last line up has remastered games on it from past gens ( Midnight club 3 / Mario kart 8/ burnout paradise), the ps2/xbox/gc generation don't suffer from this.

But I mean we have more low budget sims/motorcycle games RIGHT!

It deserves so much better. I think its a great game with a unique vision. Its not like every other racing game out there. With Sports mode, VR, Scapes, the ingame social space, slick presentation and the monthly free updates, there are many things to enjoy. And GTS has been on sale for just 30 euros many times, i cant believe people are still hesitating. Why? Because it doesent play like GT did 15 years ago and there is no boring old-school GT mode?

I'm really tired of the denial...
Its clear racing peaked during the PS2 days and is on a decline...
Not disagreeing with all of that; note my wording though: "Limited maybe but not over" which is not a denial that the whole genre is in decline at all, merely an observation that it's in decline but not dead - sorry, I hate it when absolutes are used unnecessarily, it's sloppy and so black & white.

Last edited:
Like a lot of industries it ends up being only one or two major franchises and everyone else is dead.

Let me put it like this... how well does Grand Theft Auto competitors do?

Its also about changing tastes, I think there's room for premiere console exclusive big name driving games.

Those racing arcade games have almost gone the way of flight simulators. And what about classic adventure games?

I feel that perhaps even something like both Forza titles and GTS have the ability to cater to a more casual crowd so why is there a need for arcade racers?

By the same token, I believe that every console needs a premiere driving simulator.

Also I feel 3.3 mil. in 6 months is ok isnt it? I feel like the PD model isnt one that's bound to make money. They dont charge enough and they exist mainly as a driver (such as it is) for PS4 sales.

its different for Forza - with that two year cycle Microsoft probably demand that they make money therefore you have the VIP DLC car pack and mission DLCs making it effectively a $100+ game on each side.

Fairly recently 3rd parties tried arcade driving games like that Disney "Split/Second" and yet they all bombed so who's fault it is?

On KudosPrime, there are notes talking about how the statistics are calculated:

Statistics based on 46,605 players representing 4,660,500 players (4,226,800 of the final game) on 2018-05-08.

Where does that 4.2M number come from, and how does it relate to the 3.3M copies sold?
You forgot the closed and open (this with the final version of the Game) betas right?

It's like the 25 millions of players of Overwatch or the 30 millions of Rainbow Six Siege, most of them come from the free weekends and betas.

Bear in mind that GT4/5/6 numbers are lifetime shipped and GT was never record setting series in terms of sales charts. It's a slow burner system seller. I'd say that 3.5 to 4 mil. actually sold copies in 8 months is a huge start for any racing game, let alone Gran Turismo title. Every Forza Motorsport this gen is slightly above 1 million shipped, for example.

GT Sport will easily hit 10 millions because it's a single GT game for the entire generation. GaaS and racing platform, if you want. Will it be full price? Maybe not. But that's not the point for both Sony and PD, the monetization here is PS+ subscription. Thats why cars and tracks are free.

Bear in mind that GT4/5/6 numbers are lifetime shipped and GT was never record setting series in terms of sales charts. It's a slow burner system seller. I'd say that 3.5 to 4 mil. actually sold copies in 8 months is a huge start for any racing game, let alone Gran Turismo title. Every Forza Motorsport this gen is slightly above 1 million shipped, for example.

GT Sport will easily hit 10 millions because it's a single GT game for the entire generation. GaaS and racing platform, if you want. Will it be full price? Maybe not. But that's not the point for both Sony and PD, the monetization here is PS+ subscription. Thats why cars and tracks are free.
Very funny. The only way it can hit that number is if it is given away for free.

:lol:

GTS is not gonna sell 10 million copies sorry to say

1 To much competition.
2 The GT name doesn't hold the same weight as before.
3 GT is not as big in the US or Japan has it was in the PS2 days.
4 Gt is still pretty big in europe but i serious doubt europe is gonna take it to 10 million.

Also how many units the ps4 sells has nothing to do with GTS selling 10 millions.

You should learn how games to system units sells works.

Even at 3.3m that's what, pallpark 150M revenue .... good money.

Then think about how much they spent on four years of development and the marketing that went into the game. Take into account that GT5 cost upwards of $60 million, and that the studio is significantly larger now.

I'm not so sure that $150 million is really very good money for a game on the scale of GTS.

It deserves so much better. I think its a great game with a unique vision. Its not like every other racing game out there. With Sports mode, VR, Scapes, the ingame social space, slick presentation and the monthly free updates, there are many things to enjoy. And GTS has been on sale for just 30 euros many times, i cant believe people are still hesitating. Why? Because it doesent play like GT did 15 years ago and there is no boring old-school GT mode?

Because for a lot of people it isn't really that fun.

Think about how your average non-car enthusiast gamer will see GTS compared to something like FH3. They won't be able to tell any difference in the simulation, and the hyper-competitive e-sports angle is unlikely to be a draw, so it comes down to the fact that something like FH3 does a much better job of allowing players to have fun and freedom driving cars. You get to do rad stuff like jump a train, and if you're not a car nut (and most people aren't) then that's just more fun than going round and round.

It's like complaining that action movies are more popular that hyper-realistic war movies. Of course they are. They're just more enjoyable to watch for more people. GTS is a niche, and a pretty small one.

Let me put it like this... how well does Grand Theft Auto competitors do?

Fine?

They don't sell a gajillion units like GTA does, but stuff like Watch Dogs 1/2, the Just Causes, the Far Crys, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row, even stuff like RDR and The Witcher 3 that are a similar style but in a non-modern world do plenty well enough to justify their existence.

The title is incorrect.

GT series shipped 77 million in Sept 2017. Its now sold 80.4 million. GTS has sold 3.4 million + .
Judging by user data, its probably 4-5 million.

This is around 2-4x times as much as other recently released sims.

• "The days of driving games are over..." In real life, the days of driving itself is getting over. Whoever sad driving is for everyone? Driving (and further on: motorsports) is a small segment of life, of sports. If its market seems to get narrow, then it has just found its proper place. From this aspect also, 3.3M is a huge number.

I have to agree with you on this. Young people are not driving cars anymore not like they were when I was a teenager. If the youth of our world is not interested in driving in RL anymore then driving games are going to take a big hit as well.

The love for the automobile is dying as a whole and it's really sad to see. Our youth is more intersted in social media as a way to keep in touch with their friends. The days of getting your license and a car to pick up your friends and hang out has almost completely disappeared.
I think sales of games car games in general will only get worse as time goes on because of this.

The days of getting your license and a car to pick up your friends and hang out has almost completely disappeared.

I'm not surprised this notion will die off. The whole industry is looking towards electric and other cleaner ways or transport. Its not cool to turn up in an electric car to pick up your mates

That’s what PD gets for abandoning things that made people fall in love with GT over the past 20 years to go after a niche.

The fact that almost 80% of the playerbase haven’t done a single online race speaks volumes and shows that passionate but small communities like GTP are just a tiny drop in the ocean of players.

That stat is really mind blowing every time read about it. :eek:
Why? Every time there's a poll of the day on gamefaqs about online/offline gaming it always comes out north of 80% favouring one player gaming under 20% preferring multi player and less than 2% are totally about multiplayer only.

That stat is really mind blowing every time read about it. :eek:

If anything, it makes it more impressive that things like iRacing have gotten as large as they have. Competitive multiplayer is a niche inside a niche in any genre, outside of a handful of massive exceptions like CS:GO and DotA2.

Back