Gran Turismo Sport is Five Years Old Today

• Thread starter Famine
  • 30 comments
I know i will get flak for this but i feel like several stuff was done better in GT Sport than GT7 and I ain't talking about the in-game economy either.

• Better menu OST (IMO)
• Faster loading times on PS4 (admittedly, GT7 is way faster on PS5)
• Far better post-release updates (so far)
• More stable online lobbies and more features as well like Host changing.
• In-game Community were slightly better integrated than GT7 though GT7 does some other stuff better. However, you were able to use fan made search browsers with GT Sport unlike GT7 (thanks Polyphony :/).
• Better daily rewards.
• Livery Editor was simple and easy to access in GT Sport. GT7 is far more clunkier as it requires you to go through GT Auto to find the editor and you can't pick/change cars at it without going all the way back to the home garage. Hard to explain via text but you get the point.
•GT Sport's Career mode, while lack any sense progression and felt like an afterthought, at least felt far more organized unlike GT7's messy way of handling events. Why change something that worked fine for over 25 years?
• It has VR mode albeit it was somewhat limited unfortunately.
•Far less restrictive DRMs (although GT Sport is still a DRM online only hell sadly).

There's probably more stuff that GT Sport have done better but i forgot.

Hey when I went to play GTS today it said I couldn't connect to the network and my wi-fi was on and working. It keeps saying I am appearing offline. Has the servers officially died on GTS cause today is their 5-year anniversary. If so then I need to put in my gt7 disc and start playing there. I went on Playstation's website and it says that the PSN Network is running fine, so idk if it's a glitch or a technical issue but it's pissing me off some!

Oh man, never realized that GT6 was alive for four years. It changed so much in that time, it felt. Once the course maker tool was jailbroken it was one hell of a ride on custom terrain map lobbies. GT Sport kind of had that second wind as well once there was a decent selection of street car available, then online lobbies felt like real GT lobbies instead of GT3 race lobbies everywhere.

Although I think GT Sport is going to be seen as a turning point in the AAA Simcade racing scene. When it went a car enthusiast paradise to a e-sports training platform. In my opinion, a very bad and short-sighted move. I’ll be nostalgic for GT6 and under, but probably not for sport because it traded that classic charm for a gamble on future e-sports dough. Latter doesn’t seem to have happened…

For me, GT Sport is still a way better than GT7 which is ridiculous since I thought GT Sport was lacking a lot from previous GT games.
But I just prefer how it looks, feels, quick custom race/arcade race starts, and the way the events are structured.

Menu structure

The menu and layout in GT Sport felt new and modern. You had easy access to Arcade, Campaign, Sport. Just feels so quick and snappy.
GT7 just feels like a mess. It looks like it wanted to be GT4....but it ended up just feeling dated and there is simply way too many screens to go through to get anywhere.

Feels

GT Sport again felt more snappy in getting through everything, and I personally prefer the feel of the cars and stuff in GT Sport since they had this nice feel of Old Gran Turismo and new Gran Turismo without the weird physics they added in GT7.
Sure GT7 is more "realistic" but i hate the harsh suspension travel especially in the cockpit view. Also some cars honestly just don't feel right to me.

Custom race/Arcade race starts
In Gt Sport is honestly feels like it takes less than 1 minute to get into a race. All the tracks are on 1 page and I can quickly pick a track, and than it takes me straight into car section which is easy and fast.
GT7....it's just a utter mess. The tracks are thrown all over the place and the fact I need to choose a car prior to track is annoying. The most annoying thing is have to go through a bunch of menu's to return back to the garage to change the car when it should be an option in Arcade/Custom race.

Events are Structured.

GT Sport is not great example of this, but damn...the campaign atleast feels like somewhat the old games. Everything is in on place and events are easy to follow and jump into.
GT7 on the other hand, is a bunch of crap all over the place which makes progression seem none existent.
The Cafe is utterly boring and I don't even want to keep going back to it since it feels like someone is holding my hand the whole time telling me how to collect cars.
Anyways, I have a lot of other things I prefer in GT Sport, but don't feel like writing an essay here so I will call it quits here.

I honestly hope they don't make it unplayable since I just can't get into GT7. I hate way too many things about it.
If they make it unplayable....(I have said this a bunch of times already on this forum).....I will boycott the series moving forward.

I just hope the vr section will remain working once the servers are down. When trying to understand the layout of a track (in gt 7) nothing beats going back to sport and driving it in VR. It will change how you judge corners in the flat version.

Gt sport those some parts better than gt7, but as overall game gt7 is much better, gt sport never had the pontential of what i know gt7 can give we are not there yet with gt7 but we at least now that gt7 can get there, gt sport never had that pontential becouse of the how the game was build on, to me gt7 still wipes the floor with gt sport, and we know it will just improve from now on, if they just made career mode of gt4 we would havet the very best gran turismo game by far, witch is shame, becouse career mode is what really holds gt7 back

GT sport for me is now unplayable because of motion blur effect of GT7 in PS5.

Thats THE game changer. Thats i missed all the time in GT Sport. It felt soo slow everything, sometimes as if i am standing on track.

And the dualsense use with the adaptive triggers is gamechanger, too.

Last edited:
It's embarresing to admit GTSport had more realistic physics than GT7...
How? GTS was an arcade racer in comparison to GT7...
I'm not saying that GT7 is as good/realistic as Assetto Corsa or iRacing or whatever but i'ts definitely way more realistic than GTS...

How? GTS was an arcade racer in comparison to GT7...
I'm not saying that GT7 is as good/realistic as Assetto Corsa or iRacing or whatever but i'ts definitely way more realistic than GTS...
You know....I've noticed realistic doesn't = fun.
It's probably why I prefer GT Sport physics over GT7. I'm playing a video game...if I wanted super realistic...I'd just drive a real car.

Personally for me, too many racing games are going sim racing and focusing more on players using steering wheels than controller.
GT Sport had that perfect balance of fun and realism.

On a side note, owning a real 2018 WRX STI, I find my car is more properly balanced in GT Sport than in GT7. However, neither game captures how the car truely feels in real life.

Last edited:
GT Sport maybe in the online is better than GT7 right now, but in the offline single player content is pure trash.

I know why many people love this game, but for the moment is the worst of the saga.

I just hope the vr section will remain working once the servers are down. When trying to understand the layout of a track (in gt 7) nothing beats going back to sport and driving it in VR. It will change how you judge corners in the flat version.
If GT7 got some kinda psvr2 support I'm just left wondering if headset will be too costly for me. sure hope not, nowt better than driving in VR except for the real thing of course, which I can never do. Be so good if we could race a field of at least 12 cars.

Last edited:
GT Sport maybe in the online is better than GT7 right now, but in the offline single player content is pure trash.

I know why many people love this game, but for the moment is the worst of the saga.
The solo content in GT Sport was added in with a patch shortly after release and is miles ahead of the crap in GT7.

GT Sport also got a rapid flow of content compared to the trickle we have now in GT7.

Sport was a desperately needed change of direction that should have stood firm and make what is marketed as a racing game about RACING. Instead it was condemned to rot and GT7 just took everything right back to being a directionless wishy-washy interactive history museum because a majority of the so called "fanbase" would rather collect cars like Pokemon than do any kind of racing.

Awesome game. Glad a lot of it has carried over to GT7. I’m more a single player guy. But the multiplayer is actually fun to play and I love the GT Championships. They are so much fun to watch. Plus we’ve found some incredibly fast and talented drivers that perhaps we wouldn’t have discovered if not for GT Sport. The Original tracks made for Sport are awesome additions I think. At least I can afford the McLaren F1 in Gran Turismo Sport 😅

I recently reinstalled this game just to drive the Mercedes W08 F1 car because I’ve been spending so much time playing the F1 games and I wanted to see and feel the differences between Polyphony and Codemasters take on handling, braking, ect. While the car in GT Sport feels fine, what really got to me, and what I didn’t quite remember, was how bland and lifeless the tracks feel in GT Sport. Compared to F1 series it seems like the saturation is turned way down. Redbull Ring for instance which is in both games looks much nicer in F12021 then it does in Sport. There’s actual color and various track elements pop out, whereas in Sport everything looks washed out and dull.

The other big area of difference is having your pit manager/team boss talk to you throughout a race or lap. Informing you of times, where other racers are, potential car issues, ect. GT Sport by comparison feels so clinical and dead. I kind of took all these little things for granted while playing the F1 series, but after experiencing their exclusion it really woke me up to how much better the racing experience can be if Polyphony took the time to make an actual racing game and not just a clinical, sterile, driving sim.
I’m not saying codemasters are the greatest by any means, but there’s a lot that polyphony could learn from other companies to make their games more compelling, modern, and alive feeling.

Hands down, the feature I miss most from GT Sport is the Main Menu Stream. It was such a nice thing to have running next to your computer and glance at every now and then while browsing or working. GT7 should absolutely have had this instead of that static screen the game boots up into. What a missed opportunity man.

It's embarresing to admit GTSport had more realistic physics than GT7...
To be honest, GT7 feels a hell of a lot more realistic. Not that GT Sport’s were totally lifeless though. The Ferrari F40, for instance, easily swung its rear out in Sport.

Last edited:
Sport was a desperately needed change of direction that should have stood firm and make what is marketed as a racing game about RACING. Instead it was condemned to rot and GT7 just took everything right back to being a directionless wishy-washy interactive history museum because a majority of the so called "fanbase" would rather collect cars like Pokemon than do any kind of racing.
I mean Project Cars 3 is here to show to us why you don't alienate your most faithful customers, GT Sport was losing players too fast because the e-Sport content is really just interesting to about 5%of the playerbase that actually has the skills to compete professionally and treat the game as a jobor training session.

The 95% of the playerbase wanted a new GT on the PS4 console that was done up as the old games, that was approachable to both casuals and pros, GT Sport wasn't that.

PD's mistake was releasing GT Sport as a standalone title when it was clearly meant to be a side game in the series, a spin-off.

If GT7 was released along side of it, GT Sport could have stayed a true e-sports title and nothing more, and it wouldn't have to suffer the fate it did.

You know....I've noticed realistic doesn't = fun.
It's probably why I prefer GT Sport physics over GT7. I'm playing a video game...if I wanted super realistic...I'd just drive a real car.

Personally for me, too many racing games are going sim racing and focusing more on players using steering wheels than controller.
GT Sport had that perfect balance of fun and realism.

On a side note, owning a real 2018 WRX STI, I find my car is more properly balanced in GT Sport than in GT7. However, neither game captures how the car truely feels in real life.
You would be blown away by the physiscs of rFactor 2. Those car feel real mate.

Latest Posts

Back