Gran Turismo Sport PlayStation 4 Review

Very biased review and a very poor scoring.
GT Sport is for everyone, but apparently not for the current GTPlanet staff. Oh well.

I agree mostly with this in depth review however I am not worried about the apparent lack of content... I'm sure this is one game that will expand with new cars and tracks.. it just makes too much sense with the online racing focus. They can keep this game alive for a while just like that.. Wether those are free or not.. that's another story

This GT Sport is quite disappointing; I don't care about visual quality (it's a "conditio sine qua non", in 2017, for a video game); i would have care for, at least, 300 cars (both race car and normal), all the old original and real race tracks, dinamic weather... Pd is Pd, they could do a much better job; I think they had lost the way... for now I quit GT; maybe, later this year, I will buy a used copy of it, for no more of 10 euro...

Look, before you all get pissy, i'm as big of a GT fan as anybody - have been since the first. However, read the reviews from accross the internet. Based on that, the majority of people don't like it - fact 1. In addition, sales have dropped almost every year since GT 3 A-Spec,...and yes, partly due to the market share with other racing games. So, when they decided to go in a different direction and strip the game of what appealed to a lot of people (including myself as a kid 20 years ago), you can bet sales will drop - fact 2 (yes fact from the future, those do exist). I hope i'm wrong as i look forward to GT every few years and want them to continue.

Reviews across the internet don't prove that the majority of people who bought GT Sport (or "most people" in general) dislike GT Sport. Generally are more apt to complain about something rather than praise it, so again, that means nothing and by no means should be used as evidence for your "fact."

According to this website, GT3 sold 14.89 million copies total and GT4 sold 17.82 million so there is another one of your "facts" that is incorrect. GT5 and GT6 sold less than GT3, but that could possibly be explained by console sales, the PS2 sold over 155 million systems while the PS3 sold about 84 million. GT Sport may not sell as well as GT3 or GT4, but I'd be surprised if it didn't outsell GT6 at least.

nice one @SlipZtrEm.

Solid review.

Further to this I had my 3yo 5yo and 7yo kids have a go. with varying assists all 3 of them could get around a track in GT Sport on my wheel. Which has been a fun thing at my place everyone is having a go.

Content wise there is loads to do. I think its important to step back from the other GT games as you cant really compare content especially the fact this game is not even a week old. I'm sure there is more of everything to come. Quality is key in GT Sport (except dirt physics) as you mentioned in your review. I'll still need dirt rally to fill that gap.

So if I want to upload it to twitter, I have to plug in a usb stick, export to usb, fire up my PC, copy the files over and then I can upload it?

Seems like a bit of a mess if you ask me, it's fine to support your own new system, but it seems silly to hinder people uploading pictures of this fancy photomode to actual social media sites
I don't recall but I think there's a share option in the same options. You could ask in the photomode forum. The export option is for those who want a full res photo.
Look, before you all get pissy, i'm as big of a GT fan as anybody - have been since the first. However, read the reviews from accross the internet. Based on that, the majority of people don't like it - fact 1. In addition, sales have dropped almost every year since GT 3 A-Spec,...and yes, partly due to the market share with other racing games. So, when they decided to go in a different direction and strip the game of what appealed to a lot of people (including myself as a kid 20 years ago), you can bet sales will drop - fact 2 (yes fact from the future, those do exist). I hope i'm wrong as i look forward to GT every few years and want them to continue.
Whilst Amazon reviews isn't necessarily an indicator of the whole market, those reviews should be a concern. Not everyone hangs around online in forums or online in general. There will surely be many people expecting a normal GT, and in any case they should be mad. Kaz is the one who has been saying 85% is offline.

RUI
GT Sport is for everyone, but apparently not for the current GTPlanet staff. Oh well.
Agree totally biased, should have scored it a 10/10 or 5/5. GTS is perfect and has no room for improvement.

Nice review Kyle. I like the amount of effort you have put into explaining the scores you chose for each category.

For me, as much as I appreciate the development of the UI, the content simply isn't at a level that I can justify a AAA price. With the nature of future DLC though, the potential is definitely there for a purchase in the future.

Reviews across the internet don't prove that the majority of people who bought GT Sport (or "most people" in general) dislike GT Sport. Generally are more apt to complain about something rather than praise it, so again, that means nothing and by no means should be used as evidence for your "fact."

According to this website, GT3 sold 14.89 million copies total and GT4 sold 17.82 million so there is another one of your "facts" that is incorrect. GT5 and GT6 sold less than GT3, but that could possibly be explained by console sales, the PS2 sold over 155 million systems while the PS3 sold about 84 million. GT Sport may not sell as well as GT3 or GT4, but I'd be surprised if it didn't outsell GT6 at least.

Why is everyone on the internet so quick to argue?! Look at the numbers. What I said is true, as almost every edition since GT3 has steadily dropped in sales (5 was a slightly more than 4). Your adding prologues, psp...etc (are you expecting a GTS psp? lol). From 1-6 respectively 10.85, 9.37, 14.89, 11.76, 11.95, 5.17. They took half the appeal away. If I could bet that this will probably be the lowest selling tittle, I would. As of right now it has to beat 5.17 and counting. If GT6 was released on PS4 it would be a little higher.

Reviews are a good indicator of how well a product is received. I know I read them when i'm buying something new (appliances, tools, TV's...). I'm sure most internet savvy people do. It's not just amazon that has this game rated lower than any other GT installment. IGN, GamesRadar and Metacritic all have it ranked lower too. Everywhere you look, this game is not as well liked as previous ones. So it seems like you're shooting the messenger here.

Last edited:
RUI
I was trying to be polite.

There's nothing polite about suggesting the site staff is biased.

Summed up my feelings perfectly @SlipZtrEm. Excellent review.

Now I just want to go to that bar...

If you ever find yourself here in Toronto, let me know, we'll hit it up. :cheers:
nice one @SlipZtrEm.

Solid review.

Further to this I had my 3yo 5yo and 7yo kids have a go. with varying assists all 3 of them could get around a track in GT Sport on my wheel. Which has been a fun thing at my place everyone is having a go.

Content wise there is loads to do. I think its important to step back from the other GT games as you cant really compare content especially the fact this game is not even a week old. I'm sure there is more of everything to come. Quality is key in GT Sport (except dirt physics) as you mentioned in your review. I'll still need dirt rally to fill that gap.

Thanks!

You reminded me of an important point about not just GT Sport, but racing games in general: wheel setups really sell people on them in a way a pad can't. I've had a bunch of family and friends sit down with AC, DiRT Rally, PCARS2, and FM7 over the last few months, and everybody's loved it — even folks that don't really care for racing games.

I don't know if I'd say there's loads to do — at least not right now. There's three Sport Mode races, open lobbies, and Arcade Mode. I wrapped up Campaign Mode (with all golds) on my third day. So that's the on-track stuff.

Off the tarmac, there's livery work, but I really do need the import feature for that (so I'm doing "bases" now in preparation :sly: ). There's Photo Mode too, which I always have enjoyed, and will probably spend more time on it in this one versus GT6.

Nice review Kyle. I like the amount of effort you have put into explaining the scores you chose for each category.

For me, as much as I appreciate the development of the UI, the content simply isn't at a level that I can justify a AAA price. With the nature of future DLC though, the potential is definitely there for a purchase in the future.

Cheers. We spent a lot of time discussing the scores amongst the team, for a few categories in particular. This was a thorough process, and I'm glad to see that the majority of people in the thread so far have enjoyed the work!

That's an interesting point too: when GT Sport was first announced in 2015, Sony first suggested it wouldn't be a full-price title. "More than a Prologue" was a line, too. I think that maybe could've helped sell the message that this was a very different game from previous GTs. Had Sport launched at $10-$20 less than the usual game price, it would've been clear it was a smaller, more curated approach.

Why is everyone on the internet so quick to argue?! Look at the numbers. What I said is true, as almost every edition since GT3 has steadily dropped in sales (5 was a slightly more than 4). Your adding prologues, psp...etc (are you expecting a GTS psp? lol). From 1-6 respectively 10.85, 9.37, 14.89, 11.76, 11.95, 5.17. They took half the appeal away. If I could bet that this will probably be the lowest selling tittle, I would. As of right now it has to beat 5.17 and counting. If GT6 was released on PS4 it would be a little higher.

Reviews are a good indicator of how well a product is received. I know I read them when i'm buying something new (appliances, tools, TV's...). I'm sure most internet savvy people do. It's not just amazon that has this game rated lower than any other GT installment. IGN, GamesRadar and Metacritic all have it ranked lower too. Everywhere you look, this game is not as well liked as previous ones. So it seems like you're shooting the messenger here.

My apologies, you're correct about the sales. For some reason, I glossed over the fact that the total for GT4 included the prologue and PSP titles, my bad.

That still doesn't mean the two things you stated were fact. You can look at the sales and assume that GT Sport will sell worse than GT6, but until the end of GT Sport's life cycle, you won't know for a fact if it sells worse. You also stated most people don't like it. It currently has a 75 on Metacritic from 28 critics, and Metacritic even says generally favorable. It may be reviewing worse than the older games, but that doesn't mean people don't like it, it especially doesn't mean most people don't like it.

My apologies, you're correct about the sales. For some reason, I glossed over the fact that the total for GT4 included the prologue and PSP titles, my bad.

That still doesn't mean the two things you stated were fact. You can look at the sales and assume that GT Sport will sell worse than GT6, but until the end of GT Sport's life cycle, you won't know for a fact if it sells worse. You also stated most people don't like it. It currently has a 75 on Metacritic from 28 critics, and Metacritic even says generally favorable. It may be reviewing worse than the older games, but that doesn't mean people don't like it, it especially doesn't mean most people don't like it.

You never know. Heck, once the DLC and updates get rolling it could interest more people into finally picking up a copy.

great fair review of GTS. sums up everything pretty well at the moment.

i personally thinks that always online and PS plus subscription is a great turnoff point for me. and the rally uhhhhhhh~ pointless addition.
PD should put more effort in importing tracks and polishing them rather than create new fantasy rally stage which is utter awful to drive

Excellent review!

Really loving this game. Outstanding graphics, fantastic cars and especially all of the Vision Gran Turismo cars. This is the only game I play now.

It is a joke of a game because there is no racing I feel that they have ruined the brand. I was so looking forward to it. It was such a dissatisfaction that I just took it out and put it up and immediately downloaded project cars 2 and I wasn't going to do that but I was so disappointed in gran turismosport. If you like to paint your car and change the color of your driving suit and go all over the world and take pretty picture with your car this is your game but if your into racing this is not your game.

This GT Sport is quite disappointing; I don't care about visual quality (it's a "conditio sine qua non", in 2017, for a video game); i would have care for, at least, 300 cars (both race car and normal), all the old original and real race tracks, dinamic weather... Pd is Pd, they could do a much better job; I think they had lost the way... for now I quit GT; maybe, later this year, I will buy a used copy of it, for no more of 10 euro...
Well PCars2 on the PS4 looks poor, so we cannot just accept it as a given that this is 2017 so the graphics are going to be great. PCars2 is an eyesore to me and many others.

Excellent review. It could so easily have been a gush fest. I'm glad it was looked at not with the rose tinted spectacles that are often worn but rather judged as the average consumer would see it.

The reality is GTS is not that good a game, however painful that is to hear on a website dedicated to the franchise. It really is a mish mash of not fully realised ideas, something which has actually plagued GT for a while.... but this time with even less content.

I hope PD learn from this 'online prologue' and give a fully fledged GT7 at some point, hope it doesn't take 15 years!

So if I break this review down, it says that GT Sport is a portal that gamers can use for some fine online racing but if you are an offline gamer, you buy an empty box in the hope it will be filled with goodies over time?

RUI
If a different opinion about a computer game hurts your personal feelings, maybe discussion forums are not for you. 💡

But in case you do actually have a relevant point, maybe you can explain which scores in particular are wrong/too low? Which parts of the review are biased?

RUI
Dude a 70% score is still pretty high. Like thats well above average. There is this weird disparity right now with review scores that people seem to think anything under an 8/10 is actively bad, which it isnt. Anything under a 5/10 could be seen as bad. The score they gave shows that they belive the game is fun and enjoyable for the most part, but the overall experience has its flaws, which would be pretty hard to argue against in my opinion. 7/10 is a perfectly respectable score.

I have mixed feelings about GTS so far. The online element is good, if stressful at times, but what troubles me is the waiting. Currently, I'm not a fan of racing N300s around Brands Indy, because it seems to provide more opportunity than the others for getting rammed off the track and potentially losing hard-earned SR/DR. The Suzuka race is better, but the East circuit not a track I have much love for, so that leaves Gr3 on that terrible little oval. If I decide, ok, I'll do that race (again), I click into Sport mode and see that I have to wait maybe 15 minutes, maybe 40 until the next race. I've already got a qualifying time, so I leave and do something else. If that's supposed to be the main element of the game, I shouldn't have to spend more time waiting for it than enjoying it.

I do think there's a lot of potential here though. It would only take another option on the Campaign menu with a series of structured championships, all with a restricted performance/class (using the BoP in absence of PP) to bring in something else to do while not online.

The game also desperately needs DLC and that can't come soon enough. More cars to fill in the gaps so that each manufacturer covers more of the N classes, more attainable real-world cars (I want my 350Z) and definitely more tracks. While Dragon Trail and Maggiore are highlights, there's too little else; ovals are uninspiring and there's very little joy to be had from Willow Springs. The return of Spa and Silverstone, plus Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Grand Valley would be a very good start.

Gonna have to wait for it get more stuff unfortunately. The campaign mode used to be so great, took me weeks to finish it in some previous games. Holding off on buying until it has more tracks, cars and offline content.

Well PCars2 on the PS4 looks poor, so we cannot just accept it as a given that this is 2017 so the graphics are going to be great. PCars2 is an eyesore to me and many others.
Live track 3.0, dynamic everything. SMS made their choice (a living, breathing, changing world), PD made theirs (the best looking racing game on console). However, SMS also managed to fit in one of the best track selections in a game ever, a much better selection of cars and a fantastic career mode. Not sure what PD's excuse is.
RUI
I'm not sure you could find a fairer review. All opinions were explained very well. I see zero bias in this review, your post however...

Just wanted to weigh in and say that was a great review, it was well written and thorough, very much enjoyed reading it, good job.

I am very happy pd started over gt5 and 6 had become bloated terribly inconsistent games.I just can't believe people want those terrible sp campaign's back.Pd should grow the arcade mode to include event creation which you could share with your friends and create your own tournaments.
Please pd don't go back keep the pedal to floor and leave the past in the rearview mirror.

I am very happy pd started over gt5 and 6 had become bloated terribly inconsistent games.I just can't believe people want those terrible sp campaign's back.Pd should grow the arcade mode to include event creation which you could share with your friends and create your own tournaments.
Please pd don't go back keep the pedal to floor and leave the past in the rearview mirror.
I don't think anyone has quite said that they want another career mode exactly like the flawed efforts of GTs 5 and 6. But they've thrown the baby out with the bath water by removing it altogether. It needed fixing, not ditching. The revamped multiplayer could have still been in the game, it doesn't need to be one or the other.

The decision they've made has surely resulted in a very divisive product which many of the franchise's longtime supporters will be let down by.

Back