Gran Turismo Sport PlayStation 4 Review

On Metacritic the negative reviews by users are double that of positive reviews (145 to 77). Many of these negative reviews are quite savage in tone and give scores of 0 or 1. These ultra-low scores are of course a bit silly, but they represent the anger of a fan base which feels betrayed.

Incidentally, I haven't bought the game yet - probably won't as I don't like online racing.
People who are annoyed are more likely to post a review than people who are not.

After reading the review,having played the beta and the demo recently before launch,as a long time fan since the beginning up till now,i say this with a tear in my eye and broken heart i said farewell (literally while i had gts in my hands,still sealed in it's steelbook version) old friend but we no longer compliment or go together anymore.
I actually bought forza 7 ultimate despite not having an xb1X which will arrive on 7th of nov,after that i was going to invest in gts,but then i saw and played the demo,the reviews came in,this 1 one on gtp and egm,ign,you name them.
I am honest when i tell you i cancelled my pre order on gts,a day before i got it on the 18th,yet somehow it made it to my mailbox with payment receipt,i looked at it,already knowing what gts was about,flipped to the back of the steelcase and there it was,printed on a red backdrop saying this title NEEDS A CONSTANT ONLINE CONNECTION!!!
Funny how the xb1 got burned to the ground for having always online and here we are now on ps4 gts now needs a CONSTANT ONLINE Connection,long story short i put gts back in it's postal package and sended back to where i ordered it from,they lost a faithfull in me,that was going to get psvr too but no more,my money has gone to f1 2017,pcars 2 on ps4 pro and forza 7 on xb1X come this nov,pd/kaz i thank you for the automotive inspiration and joy you've given me but for now i say farewell,hopefully you'll regain your mojo and come back strong on perhaps gt7!!!

I've gone into GTS hoping to embrace it for what it is. One thing I think that's brilliant is what's there of single player is focused to teach you to be a better racer and to be better at this game so you can be a proficient online racer. If you gold all the training events you're learning how best to take corners on all the tracks etc. That's something I wish all sports games had - a really dedicated section on how to play and master.

I even love that they try to dedicate you to sportsmanship and fairness. I wish that part of the game was even more elaborate and some trials were required to drive that idea home.

Unfortunately my experience in Sport mode THE MAIN part of this game (not player lobbies) has been a disaster. When it's actually worked serverside... All week long the same exact 3 races? And sportsmanship? I'm usually mid pack off my qualifying times and it's a cluster**** of chaos with the worst thing being your SR takes a knock every time someone rams you or sideswipes you after blasting off track which happens all the time. I think it's simply impossible to get a clean race without being behind everyone or ahead. The game even tracks it in achievements. Right now I'm not even focusing on driving fast, just being clean, and I'm constantly being penalized for others' wackass online manners. It's such an eccentric choice - be a good sport, now get punished for being one.

There are so many good ideas in here and the engine of the game and how it plays is beautiful. But ever since Kaz started racing for real, focus in these games has drifted while they become richer in terms of style. There are so many weird things that are half assed and contradictory. It's a shame, really, because the brilliance and class is there. The execution never reaches the finish line. And I really can't see this doing well; none of my friends who are aren't into cars have any interest in it. I think that was the big thing about the first three titles - they made racing for everyone. GT Sport says it will, but it's racing for the 1% who are willing to put up with its restrictive narrowness.

Good review. Not a million miles away from IGN's review, not that I'm a big IGN fan but I quite like the aussie guy who has reviewed the big 3 racing games recently. It's a shame this is the first GT game I haven't bought at launch, and not sure I will at all. I'm not too interested in online racing, not at all interested in photoscape or whatnot and am a lot more interested in a robust offline campaign, and a varied roster of production cars over an emphasis on race cars. And for that reason, I'm out =(

I have the exact thoughts on gts as you do,all i wanted was a fantastic lineup of cars like say koeniggseg,pagani which are strangely absent in gts???
Shame though as gt was my to go to racing game untill now unfortunately for pd,this is on a passby for me.
I'm out as well,looks like the e3 award for best racing game that forza 7 received judging by the reviews including on gtp aswell seems justified and from what i've seen rightly deserved,it looks like a genuine fun title to drive on,seriously looking forward to my xb1X to arrive on nov 7th,even took a day off to receive it when it'll be delivered :)

People who are annoyed are more likely to post a review than people who are not.

Project Cars 2 (PS4) got a majority of positive reviews (42/27), Forza 7 also mostly positive (54/48). Forza 6 got a whopping 99 positive and 16 negative.

However your point still may be valid: ie that cantankerous individuals may be inflating the negative reviews in all cases.

So we don't know for sure if "most" people don't like GTS, but I can't remember when another racing game has generated such unhappiness.

Project Cars 2 (PS4) got a majority of positive reviews (42/27), Forza 7 also mostly positive (54/48). Forza 6 got a whopping 99 positive and 16 negative.

However your point still may be valid: ie that cantankerous individuals may be inflating the negative reviews in all cases.

So we don't know for sure if "most" people don't like GTS, but I can't remember when another racing game has generated such unhappiness.
To be honest, I wouldn't say those figures are entirely representative. 200 people at most out of a possible 2 million. (based on PC1 figures) I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Polyphony has a track record of FREE DLC and game updates going +2 years after the release of each major game.

Actually, they all have a track record of free DLC and game updates. It's just that traditionally Gran Turismo hasn't provided much paid DLC along with the free stuff.

And as far as updates two years later to fulfill the requirement to add features that were advertised as launch, I'm not sure that's a positive. I'm never going to get the rest of the VGTs I paid for with GT6, for example. Doesn't strike me as super professional to just put them in the next game as say to your consumers "just buy the next one if you want the content you paid for". GT5 was pretty broken on release, and it took a lot of work for them to get to 2.0 and a halfway decent game.

I think perhaps look at the actual history instead of trying to gloss over it with "paid DLC is the work of SATAN!" Of the three franchises, GT is the biggest unknown when it comes to DLC, and they have a bit of a history of coming up with big plans that then somehow don't come to fruition. Perhaps this time we'll finally see the quantum leap in DLC, eh?

If GT does it, others will follow. The precedent being encouraged in racing games to ship a smaller initial offering and slowly grow it. It’s been done quite well in AC, RF, Race Room, etc. just strange to see GT go this route. Pcars2 might be the last fully featured Racing game besides the licensed F1 we see for years to come.

To be honest, I wouldn't say those figures are entirely representative. 200 people at most out of a possible 2 million. (based on PC1 figures) I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Yes of course they are not "entirely representative". But they are a kind of straw poll which points in the direction of unhappiness.

We need an adult debate on the merits of this game.

As I have said on a previous post, user reviewers who give GTS a zero out of ten are being silly. But I think that some GT fans (and I am a long standing one) are being a tad defensive about this games shortcomings.

The graphics and presentation is what really stands out. However I do agree when people say that in the long run this game will need plenty of DLC to keep people interested.
Fantasy cars are ok in the beginning but pretty soon many people will want to see some real production cars. We only have just over 70 at the moment and graphics only take you so far.

I remember a few weeks before game release that it got out there will be no single player campaign. Being a fan all the way from the original game, I must say this news didnt have any sway with me. In fact I already had this game preordered a couple months before release. I am confident that PD will release a trove of additional content through out the life of Sport that will make it a much better, more rounded game as they did with the last 2 previous PS3 games. Kaz knows the pulse of the GTPlanet community well and he himself will feel disappointed as we all are with such things as short car and track list and no weather, and i bet all three will be properly addressed w major (im betting mostly free) content patches in the next 6 months. The current release to me is preferable than having things repeat like they did w that huge delay of GT5 and an initial game plagued w glitches and problems. Right now a solid foundation has been built of the essentials. Next will be the content that will build on top. Im expecting something big around Christmas!

Kaz knows the pulse of the GTPlanet community well and he himself will feel disappointed as we all are with such things as short car and track list and no weather, and i bet all three will be properly addressed w major (im betting mostly free) content patches in the next 6 months.!

No he doesn't, PD and him are especially incompetent when it comes to understanding why GT sold so much or what the community really wants.

Why would you or any one bet they will be properly addressed ? you mean addressed as the GT6 livery editor was ? Nothing about PDs history and Kaz countless lies should make anyone on here think for a second this game will ever be updated enough or its issues addressed properly.

Let's be honest, they released a 1/4 of a game.

I remember a few weeks before game release that it got out there will be no single player campaign.
It was less "no", and more "short, based around licence tests and missions".
And less "got out", more that "Yamauchi announced".
And less "a few", rather "74", at the Copperbox event in 2016.

Fair review, although half a mark more than I'd give it.

I've always been a GT fan since day one and owned every version. But I was very sceptical about this release and the direction it's taken.

I cannot deny the visual fidelity of the title. It leaves all competition way behind. Period. It looks and runs runs wonderfully on my 'Pro. The front end and presentation is super-slick. I can sit and watch the menu backgrounds and 'movies' rotate for hours. I don't mind the physics either. A little less finicky and more stable than PC2, so it's nice to have something different. Even though I own it, I cannot stand AC.

But, it only feels like half a game. The always-online aspect is a huge negative for me. If you're not online for whatever reason or the PD servers are down, the game is knackered. You can't do a thing. What if you don't have a Playstation Plus account (I know many people haven't who can't afford it), can you still play the game or race online?

The amount of circuits, particularly real life locations is unforgivably poor especially when you compare the competition. Yes more can be added later but a LOT need to be added to catch up. The fictional circuits are pretty good in the main. Rally is a complete waste of time. Why they continue with it when they clearly haven't a clue, is beyond me. It feels like an afterthought to flesh the content out. Buy a dedicated rally game. There are plenty out there that do a much, much better job than this.

The car roster isn't great. I couldn't care less about the make-believe cars - the visions that are a figment of someone's imagination. I want tangible real race/road cars.

Scapes doesn't interest me, and I got bored with the livery editor.

What I have played so far - Online lobbies with the You Tube streamers and the odd Arcade custom race have been immense fun, but it's becoming repetitive already. The online Sport races were the same all weekend. There needs to be more than 3 selectable at any one time. I seemed to be in the same race with the same people each time.

The game needs heavy support post release in regards new content and features added to the game structure including local saves to keep it fresh and relevant, or else it will unfortunately be abandoned by some.

It isn't a disaster, because it looks and plays fantastic. There just isn't much to keep me locked in. It needs more.

Hi I bought GT Sport after I said I wouldn't went for the special edition one.
I wish I hadn't bothered I started by doing the licence things and gold up to number 29 stupid and impossible it will not go around fast enough take the corners any faster and off it goes tried every setting going.
Any how I have chucked the disc in the garbage in the 4 pieces I snapped it in. Best thing to do if it annoys me that much.

So I bid you all farewell good luck and hope you enjoy more than I did .
Now can someone please tell me how to delete my account as I won't be needing it anymore many Thanks Chaps.

I wish I hadn't bothered I started by doing the licence things and gold up to number 29 stupid and impossible it will not go around fast enough take the corners any faster and off it goes tried every setting going.
Any how I have chucked the disc in the garbage in the 4 pieces I snapped it in. Best thing to do if it annoys me that much.

Now can someone please tell me how to delete my account as I won't be needing it anymore many Thanks Chaps.

Seriously!?:guilty:

I will be the first to admit that the game is content light and the main reason that I haven't bought it, but there is still alot more to do then just license tests and you decided to destroy the game because you were stuck on one challenge? I find that hard to believe! Surely you could have watched a YouTube video or asked on a chat forum on how to best tackle the license test you were having difficultly on? What a waste!:(

Last edited:
Seriously!?:guilty:

I will be the first to admit that the game is content light and the main reason that I haven't bought it. But there is still alot more to do then license tests and you decided to destroy the game because you were stuck on one challenge? I find that hard to believe! Surely you could have watched a YouTube video or asked on a chat forum on how to best tackle the license test you were having difficult on? What a waste!:(

Yes I had a paddy at it. I was suspect about buying it after gt6 which was for me anyhow awful gt3&4 were the best for me.
I purchased it on the understanding from online that it would have a slider scale it hasn't. I am not very good at it anymore since they made it silly hard to compete like PD did with gt6.
I watched the videos on sport so I could go racing and after two days of trying once I press race it goes to a room and I can't fathom out how to go further or to pick a car to race in so I decided to give that a miss and concentrate on the licences I achieved gold up to 29 then that one and the next few are mainly bronze due to them being very difficult for me maybe not to others. I gave up after failing about 15 times on I think it was 32 or 33 and went back to 29 thinking I can do this after numerous attempts and we are talking over 50 I thought I had cracked it only to find I had failed with a time outside the bronze award. I just ejected the disc and instead of just putting it away and visiting the local CEX with it I snapped it in bits through stupid annoyance. End of the day it was £50 not £5000 so not bothered about the cost.
I am disappointed that the GT games since GT4 have gone down hill rapidly and after having Sport for a few days with such hopes that all the garbage of the last two had been omitted and reverting back to what made gt4 such a success to find it is well basically awful and for the average user far to difficult. No career mode and hardly any tuning have wrecked it. It looks like a lot of concentration went on livery and stills of places to take pictures of your cars which some love I couldn't care about that and would never even entertain click on that part.
So end of day I broke it being stupid but to the folks who haven't purchased it yet and are thinking of TRY IT OUT AT A MATES first as it is totally different to any GT game we have had so far and different for the worse only in my opinion of course.

I have the code on the back of the images box which gives you 5000000 credits and some cars. If I delete gts from my playstation can someone else use this code or once entered is it invalid to any other player?

Last edited:

That happened to me, turned out to be a dodgy R2 on the controller. That controller works great on other games Destiny etc just not on GT Sports. Tried a different controller and all is good.

No he doesn't, PD and him are especially incompetent when it comes to understanding why GT sold so much or what the community really wants.

Why would you or any one bet they will be properly addressed ? you mean addressed as the GT6 livery editor was ? Nothing about PDs history and Kaz countless lies should make anyone on here think for a second this game will ever be updated enough or its issues addressed properly.

Let's be honest, they released a 1/4 of a game.

Nissan GT academy as well as the upcoming association with FIA is keeping a close pulse with the true fans of the series. Ask Mardenborough how satisfied he is with his decision to support PD.
The GT series has never been designed for gamers but rather motorsport fans. Im more of the latter so it has been the perfect series for me.

Also, the content that is released for the titles always way more than makes up the slight disappointment of a bare bones initial release. We had Route X, Spa Francorchamps, and the space gokart tracks in surprise releases as well as the emotionally moving Senna content to name just a few. We already know Pikes Peak is happening as well as more content having to do with Lewis Hamilton.

Nissan GT academy as well as the upcoming association with FIA is keeping a close pulse with the true fans of the series. Ask Mardenborough how satisfied he is with his decision to support PD.
The GT series has never been designed for gamers but rather motorsport fans. Im more of the latter so it has been the perfect series for me.

Also, the content that is released for the titles always way more than makes up the slight disappointment of a bare bones initial release. We had Route X, Spa Francorchamps, and the space gokart tracks in surprise releases as well as the emotionally moving Senna content to name just a few. We already know Pikes Peak is happening as well as more content having to do with Lewis Hamilton.
I agree with most of what you’re saying. However, implying ‘true fans of the series’ will like GT Sport is, I think, a bit of an overstatement. I would consider myself a true fan. I’ve probably put more time into GT than Mardenborough. Though, I probably have less than 1% of his talent:lol:.

I have no doubt I’ll eventually get Sport - but it’s vastly different from any other GT. It can be argued that it’s better that way, but it can just as easily be argued it’s not. I’ve gotten 100% on every GT (except maybe 5, I don’t remember for sure) but I have no desire for this one. It’s just not the same. For better or worse.

Having said all that, snapping a disc in half is....very immature to say the least.

Nissan Academy or FIA is not why GT3 sold nearly 15 million.

Your "true fans" are a tiny irrelevant minority.

It's a game and first and foremost it's designed for gamers, unless PD is looking to match Assetto Corsas pathetic sales.

Do you think Wheel users account for even 1% of GR user base ?

Nissan Academy or FIA is not why GT3 sold nearly 15 million.

Your "true fans" are a tiny irrelevant minority.

It's a game and first and foremost it's designed for gamers, unless PD is looking to match Assetto Corsas pathetic sales.

Do you think Wheel users account for even 1% of GR user base ?

Gamers never liked Gran Turismo. The game was always too boring and technical for them. Gamers play Call of Duty and Need For Speed. Undoubtedly GT7 fans are going to be casual gamers but hardcore motorsport fans. In that respect they will care less about quantity and more about quality. No wonder this game is #1 in the UK right now.

About online play,

For the most time you can prefent being in bad situations by just sometimes let you gas off etc i drive 3/4 night pretty clean races and rating is going up. Just by adjusting my play, dont want to win all the time dont take big risks take you time to get past someone, the guy thats driving in front of you will make a mistake if you keep the presure on. Then you will have fun when racing online.

I dont have any problems now these days and have fun doing it!

There are 2 different types of people that drive cars in this world. Either you are a DRIVER or you are a COMMUTER. GTS seems to really be pissing off the COMMUTERS of the world. I myself am a DRIVER. The sooner all the COMMUTERS give up on the game we can enjoy cleaner races. If you dont like GTS follow Justins example of snapping your disc and discarding it.

Back