Gran Turismo TT RPG

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 63 comments
Roll a red die if you land on a braking spot. If it comes up 1, you get punted off the track and lose a turn. If it comes up 6, you successfully dodge the rammer and get to take your next turn immediately.

There are cornering tests for the red markers in which a die is rolled to determine the outcome referenced against a driver’s skill points.

It’ll all become clearer once I releases the first draft of the instructions.

This needs to be made into an app, that way we could all play each another.

I don’t have the knowhow to to that but if anyone else fancies a try then it’s entirely up to them.

Maybe it could be a chance card like monopoly, if you land on a certain spot you pick up a card which could say you deliberately hit someone and you have to go back a few spots.

Needs to have a pit lane square, if you land on it you have to go through the pits, which as has more squares then the track that way it takes you longer to go through,
And if you land on a certain square in the pit lane you are getting new tyres and fuel and you miss a turn.

I did consider chance cards but they would be hard to implement without copying other racing games; one I remember has a mechanic which generates a chance card for every pit stop made. I like the idea but would want another way to implement it.

As for the pit, it’s already a longer detour which will be necessary to enter at certain points during the game.

I don’t know if you noticed the draft track above as it doesn’t feature squares but circular markers.

A brief first draft of the game-play instructions. They haven't been play tested but that's why I've asked you guys to lend a hand. Obviously, any gaping gaps should kindly be pointed out.

Game objective:
The winner is the car which crosses the finish line first after completing the set amount of laps.

Game set up:
Each attribute has a minimum of 6 default stat points. Players have an allowance of (TBA) additional stat points to build up attributes on their stat cards.

The starting order is decided before the race begins, this may be done by rolling off the dice to determine order. Players only place their car on track at the start/ finish line once it is their turn to begin.

The board:
Each track consists of:

Green track markers - indicating movement distance
Red track markers - cornering test
Yellow markers - gravel trap
Orange marker - reliability test
Start/ finish line - beginning, lap start & end of the race
Blue markers - pit lane

Game mechanics:

The outcome of various manoeuvre attempts such as cornering and overtaking are decided by a single 6 sided die (D6) roll. Stat points for performance attributes are distributed freely across driver skill and vehicle parameters before the race starts. When stats of an attributes fall below 6 points, a roll must be made to successfully complete a manoeuvre; the number rolled must be equal to, or less than, the number of stat points for that attribute.

Example:

KSPkrFi6N4pYLA2vaMKb4B7MUt10Rl78AMN6pRV7y0zAr4kjPcWbJxgiy36e3W8guEOV6pZc3s_EaXtmgGfsyCGWYzbU_GMdUQaxtQXTENitspGT8rSpyvcciidCqtUBp9rJ8QGo

With the stat points indicated on the attribute above, a roll of 4 or less is a successful cornering attempt. A roll of 5 or 6 is a failed attempt and the car runs off the track into the gravel trap (yellow marker zone). While an attribute’s stats points remain at 6 or above the attempt is automatically successful.

Attributes:

Speed - distance the car can move each turn (track markers) .

Tyre wear - reduced by 1 stat point each turn. When tyre wear stats fall below 6 points 1 point is deducted from the driver Corning Skill & Overtaking Skill attributes until the car makes a pit entry.

Reliability - A reliability test roll must be made at the orange track marker on each lap once the reliability stats fall below 6 points. Failing a reliability test puts the car in limp mode (limited to 3 moves per turn) until it makes a pit entry.

Fuel capacity - reduced by 1 point each turn. When fuel is depleted the car runs in limp mode (limited to 3 moves per turn) until it makes a pit entry.

Pit - restores all stat points to original (pre-race) levels.

Cornering skill - probability of a driver successfully cornering. When cornering skill stat points fall below 6, a skill test must be made to pass the corner safely. Failing a cornering skill test lands the car in the gravel trap (yellow track markers). A car may only rejoin the race after passing through the gravel trap.

Overtaking skill - probability of a driver successfully overtaking. When overtaking skill stat points fall below 6 an overtaking test roll must be made to pass the opponent car. Before a car passes another car on track (not including cars in gravel traps) it must make a successful roll to overtake.

If the driver attempts to pass multiple consecutive cars, a roll must be made for each car it attempts to pass. Upon failure of an overtaking attempt the driver stops alongside the car it failed to overtake. On the next round the driver who failed the overtaking roll takes their turn after the driver they attempted to pass.

Overtaking may also be attempted when a car finishes its move equal to or directly behind the car in front of it (“slipstream overtake”). When finishing a move directly behind a car in front, the driver gains no further distance upon failing an overtaking attempt.

A brief first draft of the game-play instructions. They haven't been play tested but that's why I've asked you guys to lend a hand. Obviously, any gaping gaps should kindly be pointed out.
Sounds very complicated but maybe once you play it, it might be easier to understand.

Sounds very complicated but maybe once you play it, it might be easier to understand.

It really shouldn’t be any more complicated than a typical board game. I’ve tried to keep it simple, and I think as more of it is revealed it will start to seem pretty straight forward.

It’s probably easy enough for me to post a video of gameplay sample once I actually produce a prototype.

It really shouldn’t be any more complicated than a typical board game. I’ve tried to keep it simple, and I think as more of it is revealed it will start to seem pretty straight forward.

It’s probably easy enough for me to post a video of gameplay sample once I actually produce a prototype.
I look forward to your video.

Here's a simple version of what the stat cards will look like, obviously this one is blank.

Attributes Stats Card.png

Now I'm wondering whether the stats should be pre-filled or is it better for players to put their stat points where they want.

Start with fixed stats but allow players to expend "tuning" points to adjust the stats slightly.

Start with fixed stats but allow players to expend "tuning" points to adjust the stats slightly.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps extra stat points could be generated somehow during a game.

There would be a fixed allowance in any case (maybe something like 35-40 points, that why I’ll need to play test and find a good measure), something that would balance well and offer the player an opportunity to invest stat points where they feel they’re most needed.

Having a fixed stat set from the start kind of takes some of the personalisation out of the game and makes it much more rigid. Plus it means that I’d have to develop a whole series of varying stat cards that are well balanced for players to use. I think allowing a blank canvas for building attributes of preference would be much more suitable.

Last edited:
Second track to add to the starter set. They aren't difficult to make, obviously, it's just hard to find the time to get them done.

High Speed Ring.png

I propose that if you roll a Finland country of origin for your driver card, then you get a global +5 saving throw

Isn't it possible to make an internet version that can be uploaded to and become a part of GTP so every GTP member can play it?

I propose that if you roll a Finland country of origin for your driver card, then you get a global +5 saving throw

You, sir, are a man of grand ideas.

Isn't it possible to make an internet version that can be uploaded to and become a part of GTP so every GTP member can play it?

I do intend for it to be available for everyone, but by “internet version” do you mean digital? If so, I don’t have the skills to do that. My limits are exceeded beyond a simple bit of graphic design.

I do intend for it to be available for everyone, but by “internet version” do you mean digital? If so, I don’t have the skills to do that. My limits are exceeded beyond a simple bit of graphic design.
Yep, digital. @Jordan has the skills.

It could be a huge amount of work for all I know, it isn’t fair to ask anyone to invest time working on side project of mine.
Maybe it is a lot of work but it is a nice project.

Let me take the burden of asking of off you. (is "of" "off" correct in this case?)

@Jordan, is it possible to make a digital GTP version of W3HS's project and implement it in GTP?

@Jordan, is it possible to make a digital GTP version of W3HS's project and implement it in GTP?
I fully support Shem's project, but I don't have time to build something like that.

Having reviewed and stewed over the basic initial concept I'm more inclined to omit the board all together and utilise cards as a random means of track generation while still incorporating the driver and vehicle stats sheets which will use a dice mechanic.

I haven't forgotten or abandoned this project. Interest was low so I'm hesitant to do redraft after redraft of an in-depth game before even a play test has taken place as it could be a big waste of time if there are flaws and broken mechanics. By changing the medium from board to cards it allows more accessibility and less work in production for both myself and anyone who is going to print and play the game.

Thanks for the patience. I'd really like to gather a name list of users who would be willing to grab a few friends and spend half an evening giving the prototype a play, if I can get some confirmed play testers then I'm sure my motivation will soar and I'll be wrapping up the first print and play prototype pretty sharpish.

Hey @W3HS I am definitely down to give your game a go. I have a few friends, one of which is a GT fan, that I game with regularly. I can probably get my wife to play as well. So we could test out the little changes and tweaks.
I havent read the rules just yet. I'll peruse them leisurely here in a moment, I just wanted to let you know of my interest. I'll be honest, i skipped by this thread a lot, because I was skeptical of the premise. The idea had some time to marinate though. It started to pique an interest. I'll let you know what I think after a couple of rounds.

Thanks @Rallywagon.

I did a mental simulation this morning with randomised “tiles” as a track generator and it wasn’t great. Seems the fixed, printed track is the way to go.

The player stat card has been swapped out in favour of stat tokens which are easier to keep track of. I’ll update later, I have a class right now.

I really should be given more credit for this whole thing :lol:

I really should be given more credit for this whole thing :lol:

I’ll try to sneak you in as an Easter egg. ;)

The whole point is that it’s a open project with suggestions and opinions taken from the site to improve the end result.

Had myself a read through the instructions you posted. Seems like a good start. Indo have quite a few ideas to make the game more interesting for people who like a more in depth experience, and those who like a quick and easy to get into. In fact, I have an idea for a few different game modes, a couple of which would benefit from, and make good use of your custom track idea.
Also, I've never played any if the other racing games, I imagine something I think of may already be in use. Since this is an open source game, I personally am not opposed to some rule overlap if it makes sense to the core game. But, as this is your pet W3HS, I'll certainly digress to your digression.
Anyway, if you are interested in hearing the ideas, I'll type up a higher level overview and we can decide what would work and what might not.

Had myself a read through the instructions you posted. Seems like a good start. Indo have quite a few ideas to make the game more interesting for people who like a more in depth experience, and those who like a quick and easy to get into. In fact, I have an idea for a few different game modes, a couple of which would benefit from, and make good use of your custom track idea.
Also, I've never played any if the other racing games, I imagine something I think of may already be in use. Since this is an open source game, I personally am not opposed to some rule overlap if it makes sense to the core game. But, as this is your pet W3HS, I'll certainly digress to your digression.
Anyway, if you are interested in hearing the ideas, I'll type up a higher level overview and we can decide what would work and what might not.

I'm always open to suggestions as I've mentioned before, there are usually things I overlook. Thanks for taking an interest.

My intention is to make it as simple to make as possible, hence the print and play format. I still don't know how in depth to go with the game play as it's not been tested and for initial production I think as straight forward as possible would be the best start and then it can be built on from there. I have a revised version of the rules that I'll include with this post, although they aren't finished. I'll also attach the tokens and tracks that I have so far. I'm not sure how well the updated rules and tokens will work with the tracks as the updated rules were intended to work with track "tiles" to randomly generate the circuit.

(Graphics are currently just drafts so excuse the simplicity)

OLD VERSION! - 20/8/2019

Attachments

• C-Spec instructions.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 15
  • C-Spec Tokens.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Midfield Raceway.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 12
  • High Speed Ring.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
After a quick revision...about a week’s worth of fiddling, I’ve managed to get the game down to its least convoluted form by scraping the board and replacing physical distance with time advantage cards that help determine track position.

The instructions are still a bit crude so I’ll polish them up tomorrow and, with any luck, should be able to upload the new version of instruction and it’s minimal components for play testing to begin ASAP!

I’ve set the current version as 2-6 player but that can easily be expanded by simply printing off double components. So far components include 3 A4 pages of cards (that need cutting out), a page of instructions, and a six sided die (which most people have at home anyway).

First physical copy (as far as I know).
First Print GT.png

I've gained some volunteer testers in the form of my game-loving students so hopefully some time this week I'll get to actually play it.

If it turns out to be playable, or dare I say it, enjoyable, without too much of a redraft on the instructions I'll go to the next step of creating some proper graphics for the cards.

I had a rejig and worked out a really simplified version of the game, without the cards and using a tracking sheet instead. It’ll be another week or so before I can finalise that design (if I don’t rework it again I’m the meantime). All previous posts of content are now unfortunately void, although there’s still a playable game there, just not the one I’ll be working on further.

I put that older idea on the back burner and began reworking a previous iteration that used the stats sheets as pictured several posts above. By using this system I have managed to reduce components to the bare minimum and have aligned (most of) the rules to match. I still need to do a few simulations in my head and then a few play tests to see what works and what doesn’t but I think I’m getting closer to the end goal.

Back