Gran Turismo's Nike One 2022 Designer Phil Frank Tells the Story of His Unusual Concept Car

• Thread starter Famine
  • 34 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Last edited:
Before anyone says it: the car being in GT7 is unlikely mainly because it might conflict Gran Turismo's current deal with Puma.
Said deal doesn't appear to affect Alpinestars' presence in the game (screenshot below is from the 'Livery' trailer), so I wouldn't rule out or confirm a Nike comeback just yet...

GT7_livery_editor.png

Cool. Reveal January. PD ring to discuss February. GT7 release and PD begin working on GT8 in March. Organising car list. Start adding DLC to GT7 in April. Team gather information for Nike 2022. Build commences from April to October, in time for NBA season. Nike 2022 revealed and debuts in GT7. Yeah. :sly:

I wonder if we could end up actually having multiple Nike cars in GT7? We could have the return of the Nike One, sure, but then there's that VGT that they're working on.

I wonder if we could end up actually having multiple Nike cars in GT7? We could have the return of the Nike One, sure, but then there's that VGT that they're working on.
Speaking of VGTs, it's occurred to me a few times that the Chaparral 2X feels very much like the next logical step up from the ONE 2022. Both share a similar driving position, both have active aero, both share a similarly outlandish approach to futuristic design and drivetrains. The main fundamental differences between the two are that the 2X is substantially faster in retail tune and sounds like a steam engine when you apply the throttle.

I wonder what Phil Frank would think of the various 'homages' the GT Sport Discover community have since made of his creation...

Last edited:
I wonder if Phil Frank lives near the Nike world campus, if so maybe we can meet up for a follow up interview with all the updated designs (plus some other goodies?) as I'm about 2 miles from campus. Just throwing it out there in case Phil is an Oregonian.

Jerome

Loved this car (obviously, from my avatar), and the unique sound it made when accelerating.

No joke, whenever I used this car in GT4 and our border collie was in the same room, he used to howl from the sound.

Before anyone says it: the car being in GT7 is unlikely mainly because it might conflict Gran Turismo's current deal with Puma.
I don't remember hearing there was an exclusivity deal between Gran Turismo and Puma. This didn't stop other brands like Alpinestars and to an extent, Adidas, as seen on Porsche race cars featured in GT Sport such as the 911 RSR and 919 Hybrid.

(Fun fact: the founder of Puma, Rudolf Dassler, is the brother of Adidas founder, Adolf "Adi" Dassler; both of which later went on to go on a sibling rivalry which then extended all the way into the marketplace with their sporting brands. Another fun fact: Puma is featured in WipEout Pure as a privateer racing team sponsoring two ships, one of which looks like Qirex.)

Therefore, I don't see any problem with the Nike ONE returning either at launch, or as a DLC car from updates, except that driving the car will always force the player's character to wear a special suit, similar to the Jaguar and Porsche VGT's (and rightfully so, as Phil Frank envisioned the driver to wear a suit that can be used as a generator to create electricity to power the Nike ONE).

Last edited:
I don't remember hearing there was an exclusivity deal between Gran Turismo and Puma. This didn't stop other brands like Alpinestars and to an extent, Adidas, as seen on Porsche race cars featured in GT Sport such as the 911 RSR and 919 Hybrid.

(Fun fact: the founder of Puma, Rudolf Dassler, is the brother of Adidas founder, Adolf "Adi" Dassler; both of which later went on to go on a sibling rivalry which then extended all the way into the marketplace with their sporting brands. Another fun fact: Puma is featured in WipEout Pure as a privateer racing team sponsoring two ships, one of which looks like Qirex.)

Therefore, I don't see any problem with the Nike ONE returning either at launch, or as a DLC car from updates, except that driving the car will always force the player's character to wear a special suit, similar to the Jaguar and Porsche VGT's (and rightfully so, as Phil Frank envisioned the driver to wear a suit that can be used as a generator to create electricity to power the Nike ONE).
Obviously there's nothing concrete that's publicly available which shows some form of exclusivity, but when you consider things like GT Finals competitors wearing Puma logos and promotional artwork visibly featuring Puma racesuits with no other rival brand visible in those instances, then that usually points towards some form of deal being in place.

Exclusivity at a live event with sponsors and exclusivity in the game are two very different things. I seem to recall reading that live events only had one wheel type for the same reason, but clearly the public game had no such limitations because that would be absurd.

IIRC, Phil himself commented on the car on a few GT4 posts on our forums, back in the days? Or am I misremembering?

The science behind the Nike One is... Interesting! The human body is only capable of outputting maybe 300W for a sustained period or 1kW briefly (like 100m sprint kind of brief). If a car could draw 200kW from you you'd die immediately.

Cool car though, and hardly the only sci-fi one ever featured in the franchise.

Speaking of VGTs, it's occurred to me a few times that the Chaparral 2X feels very much like the next logical step up from the ONE 2022. Both share a similar driving position, both have active aero, both share a similarly outlandish approach to futuristic design and drivetrains. The main fundamental differences between the two are that the 2X is substantially faster in retail tune and sounds like a steam engine when you apply the throttle.

I wonder what Phil Frank would think of the various 'homages' the GT Sport Discover community have since made of his creation...

Think the designer needed to free their mind a bit more to challenge the original, but it looks ok. Best regards, Phil
PFD-N1LE-TOP-s.png

Last edited:
I wonder if Phil Frank lives near the Nike world campus, if so maybe we can meet up for a follow up interview with all the updated designs (plus some other goodies?) as I'm about 2 miles from campus. Just throwing it out there in case Phil is an Oregonian.

Jerome
I used to live in Portland for 20 years, but now I'm down in California enjoying the sun and blue skies again. Happy to answer any questions I can. Best regards, Phil

Cool. Reveal January. PD ring to discuss February. GT7 release and PD begin working on GT8 in March. Organising car list. Start adding DLC to GT7 in April. Team gather information for Nike 2022. Build commences from April to October, in time for NBA season. Nike 2022 revealed and debuts in GT7. Yeah. :sly:
I can give them a Launch Edition .fbx or .obj mesh tomorrow. Best regards, Phil

Back