Grand Theft Auto 3D Trilogy Remaster Officially Revealed, Coming This Year

This thread is for the terribly titled Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy The Definitive Edition (GTATTTDE), not for axe-grinding about GTP's editorial choice not to write about things that bring us almost zero traffic and to instead write about things that interest a lot of people here and bring us plenty of traffic.
That is quite a mouthful for a game title. GTA: The Definite Trilogy sounds more catchy? Or the GTA : Remastered Trilogy instead.

Nonetheless, I grew up with Vice City and San Andreas, so I'm looking forward to how the Unreal engine has improved the gameplay, graphics and physics of the game(s).

and specifically the line "some unusual activity occurring in and around Southern San Andreas”.
That most likely refers to the
haunted Tornado you might encounter in the next few days/weeks
:D

I was wanting San andreas anyway but the cbox marketplace game was a poor mobile port so really looking forward to this, take my money !

Debating which system to get this on. Leaning towards picking it up for the Switch. While I don't use it handheld mode all that often, just having the option of being able to play GTA while laying on the couch is an enticing one. :lol: Interesting to see if there's going to be any major differences between the systems.

Especially pre-Haitian edit VC.
Amusingly, not only was the Steam version never hacked apart over that controversy; but when they went through and chopped out a bunch of music from the game a few years ago on all the stores they made a new release with a new Steam ID, then promptly failed to remove any of the music from the game.

Unreal engine with san andreas has impressive results.

Yeah, see...without care you can easily end up with refreshed visuals that totally ruin the aesthetic & atmosphere of the game. Like this clip. They made SA look like the freakin Yucatan...

I trust Rockstar will be more thoughtful.

Yeah, see...without care you can easily end up with refreshed visuals that totally ruin the aesthetic & atmosphere of the game. Like this clip. They made SA look like the freakin Yucatan...

I trust Rockstar will be more thoughtful.
Indeed, that completely loses the original tone and atmosphere of the original. R* tried to reflect the state of the area in the 90s with the colour tones and pallet, it wasn't really supposed to look nice.

Well although I have the PS2 versions of the game I will defo have a look at this when more info/gameplay is revealed.

Just be aware there are rumours that this may be a 'full' price game and not offered at a lower price, if the graphics engine update is good I have no problem with that especially for Vice City since it will always be my favourite of the three.

Also off topic @Famine , very much looking forward to reading the Bus Simulator 21 review as I haven't seen much talk of it on my usual sites/review wise.

The nostalgia hype is high! It would be nice to come back in familiar places.. GTA San Andreas is so completed game even that released so many years ago...

Just be aware there are rumours that this may be a 'full' price game and not offered at a lower price, if the graphics engine update is good I have no problem with that especially for Vice City since it will always be my favourite of the three.
I wouldn't pay much attention to GTA based rumours, 99% seem to be wrong. I mean, there has been a constant stream of GTA6 rumors for years now, Vice City remakes, adding old maps to GTAV, you name it, they're all made up/wrong.

The current version is (was) £29 digitally, I'd expect the new one to be about the same. Maybe £34.99.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the knock-off FD RX-7 in VC, Smoke's "Mercedes", custom low-riders and hooking up with my ladies throughout SA. ;)

I wouldn't pay much attention to GTA based rumours, 99% seem to be wrong. I mean, there has been a constant stream of GTA6 rumors for years now, Vice City remakes, adding old maps to GTAV, you name it, they're all made up/wrong.

The current version is (was) £29 digitally, I'd expect the new one to be about the same. Maybe £34.99.
The old maps in GTAV was actually something that Rockstar itself talked about (back in 2013-2014), and it still didn't happen

I only just saw this reply as notifications seemed to slip by.

Of course I treat all 'rumour' as that until something is officially revealed, don't get me wrong my money will go towards this game regardless of price, I love Vice City and III so much.

Thought it was worth bringing up (it was somewhat new information to me, so it might be interesting for others) this digital foundry video from years ago comparing the different versions of GTA SA up to the then-most-recent Xbox One version. Basically there were 3 original versions of the game with permutations:

PS2 version which was emulated for the PS4
Xbox version which was ported from the PS2 and available for some time on Xbox 360
Mobile version which was a non-Rockstar port with a lot of missing content & effects, different user interface, considerably different color pallet and a few added features (like cube map reflections, upgraded textures, and shadow maps). This is the version available on PS3 and Xbox One.

Personally, the mobile/PS3/XBO version is exactly the kind of thing I hope Rockstar avoids with the definitive edition, and I mostly trust that they will. Objectively, there are some improvements...but it totally alters the mood of the game and makes it feel pretty soulless. It also looks worse than it needs to. I still play this version somewhat often, but I'd much rather have access to something more along the lines of the PS2 original.

Whats telling is there is no video showing the improvements they have made, its going to be a shameless cash in with minimum effort going into the remastering. Shame they didnt go for a yakuza kiwame rebuild from the ground up, going to be horrible lego block low polygon count with higher frame rate and heavily anti-alialised textures... ewww. Fond memories of these games but just get on with a RDR2 next gen patch and GTA6 please...

Whats telling is there is no video showing the improvements they have made, its going to be a shameless cash in with minimum effort going into the remastering. Shame they didnt go for a yakuza kiwame rebuild from the ground up, going to be horrible lego block low polygon count with higher frame rate and heavily anti-alialised textures... ewww. Fond memories of these games but just get on with a RDR2 next gen patch and GTA6 please...
Rockstars reputation suggests it will be the opposite to what you said. When have they put minimal effort into a remaster ? I think it will surprise everyone and it will be amazing. Rockstar don’t mess around

Rockstars reputation suggests it will be the opposite to what you said. When have they put minimal effort into a remaster ? I think it will surprise everyone and it will be amazing. Rockstar don’t mess around
ive played the haggard ps3 version of san andreas, Rockstar likes to milk the cow

Not to be pedantic, but Rockstar did not make that version of San Andreas, it was a port by third party developer War Drum Studio (Now apparently Grove Street Games?).
Indeed outsourced to lowest bidder for maximum profit no doubt... I guess you cant really blame rockstar for taking money from morons who buy shark cards... maybe the mouth breathers buying these in game purchases should boycott them so that rockstar finally give us a sequel?

The official website has been updated with an information/gameplay drop: Releases 11th November for $59.99

Important things worth noting: San Andreas Definitive Edition will be on Game Pass from day one, while GTA III DE will be on PS Now from December 7th.

Last edited:
Back