Grand Theft Auto 3D Trilogy Remaster Officially Revealed, Coming This Year

Tentatively interested. A remastered GTA: SA with improved controls/mechanics would be pretty great. The visuals would need very careful tweaks though. Even removing the distance-obscuring fog could wreak havoc on any sense of immersion the original game had. (kind of weird to see all three city skylines from one vantage point, which you could easily do without the fog).

That being said, the actually-available version of the game on Xbox Live is not very good (weird bugs, missing content, etc) and the color pallet shift from the original PS2 version is a big downgrade. Hopefully some of those smeary lurid SoCal tones return. Also fix the pedestrian driving behavior, because that **** is jank.

I'm crying. The rumors were true for once. :bowdown: This is the best xmas present.

Edit: actually nevermind, GTA III's anniversary is on my birthday, so it's actually a birthday present. :eek:

Last edited:
Back in the day, I tried playing them on my pc but the controls were confusing and clunky to me so I never lasted very long. Maybe now I'll be able to play them through!:sly:

The same HD versions from PS2 and Android?
They're remastered in the Unreal Engine according to reports, the originals and later HD versions were all the original RenderWare games. So no.

Last edited:
I'm interested, but also cautious. After from what I've heard about how they handled remastering them on the PS3 & Xbox 360, this has made me skeptical. That and also how they barely did anything with the new ports of GTAV.

Why report on this? It's not even a racing game. NASCAR 21 comes out in two weeks and I haven't seen a single article on that game... a RACING game.

Last edited:
Why report on this? It's not even a racing game. NASCAR 21 comes out in two weeks and I haven't seen a single article on that game... a RACING game.
NASCAR has its own thread. Besides, you don't like it, bring it up with the site staff.

Why report on this? It's not even a racing game.
Wait until you read our Bus Simulator 21 review.

I don't know how many GTA games you've played, but they are pretty jam-packed with cars and races. There is in fact an entirely new section of GTA Online dedicated to cars and races.

Sure, there's collecting things (usually driving to them, like in FHorizon), and shooting things, but the majority of GTA takes place in cars. Ever tried a five-star chase on foot? It's brief, unless you can hole up somewhere secure like [checks notes] Vice City's car dealership.

It's also a very popular subject on GTPlanet, unlike...

NASCAR 21
... which I've previously explained to you is simply of minimal interest. The last NASCAR game article I remember us posting, the pageviews that came from the author previewing the post represented a whole-number percent of the entire lifetime views of the article. It's simply not worth anyone's time writing it.

Besides, you don't like it, bring it up with the site staff.
Oh, he has. The above was the answer then, and remains so.

Edit: Though apparently he doesn't like it.

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:
Wait until you read our Bus Simulator 21 review.

I don't know how many GTA games you've played, but they are pretty jam-packed with cars and races. There is in fact an entirely new section of GTA Online dedicated to cars and races.

Sure, there's collecting things (usually driving to them, like in FHorizon), and shooting things, but the majority of GTA takes place in cars. Ever tried a five-star chase on foot? It's brief, unless you can hole up somewhere secure like [checks notes] Vice City's car dealership.

It's also a very popular subject on GTPlanet, unlike...

... which I've previously explained to you is simply of minimal interest. The last NASCAR game article I remember us posting, the pageviews that came from the author previewing the post represented a whole-number percent of the entire lifetime views of the article. It's simply not worth anyone's time writing it.

Oh, he has. The above was the answer then, and remains so.
YES the prior HEAT series was awful and deserves every bit of flack it gets, but NASCAR 21 is a brand new game! It's being developed by a new developer, Utilizing UE4 and it's physics engine taken from Rfactor. Hell former Codies employees are at the helm of this game's development. That least bit could be worth reporting on. Instead of the stripper simulator that is gRaNd ThAft AuTo.

YES the prior HEAT series was awful and deserves every bit of flack it gets, but NASCAR 21 is a brand new game! It's being developed by a new developer, Utilizing UE4 and it's physics engine taken from Rfactor. Hell former Codies employees are at the helm of this game's development. That least bit could be worth reporting on. Instead of the stripper simulator that is gRaNd ThAft AuTo.
Good thing we got a report on something interesting instead.

NASCAR 21 is a brand new game!
Cool. It doesn't bring any traffic to the site.

I mean, you can poo emoji the facts all you like, but it's literally a waste of our time to write about it. You've been told this three times now, and I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

This thread is for the terribly titled Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy The Definitive Edition (GTATTTDE), not for axe-grinding about GTP's editorial choice not to write about things that bring us almost zero traffic and to instead write about things that interest a lot of people here and bring us plenty of traffic.

Bear that in mind for your future posts in this thread.

In actual discussion, I find the comment that was made on R*'s website about celebrations being made to commemorate the 20th anniversary in GTA Online interesting, and specifically the line "some unusual activity occurring in and around Southern San Andreas”. Considering the rise of events in online service games, could this be an easy way to announce GTA VI as a final bow on top to anniversary celebrations?

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm super pumped for this. Honestly, forget about GTA 6. This is all I need. :lol: Haven't played any of the III trilogy since the PS2 days. Can't wait to revisit them.

Wonder if they've kept the old cheats in the games. The "Pedestrians have weapons" and "Pedestrians riot" cheats always made for some good fun.

Last edited:
This will help bridge the gap of waiting for GTA VI to come out. It'll be fun to revisit these classics!
We're getting remastered 3D Vice City before HD Vice City.

Thanks, Take-Two.

Well it is good they have finally 'confirmed' to us die hard GTA fans the worst kept secret in their development history.

I much prefer these three games over V so I will certainly pick up this trilogy set at some point.

Only caveat I would like to mention is for those of you who 'like' the originals snap them up from your respective digital console store, Rockstar announced they will be removed from sale in the coming days and you'll only be able to buy definitive edition.

Instant buy for me for GTA III alone even though i already have the original trilogy, it's one of my favorite games ever. This'll hold me off until GT7.

Haven't touched OG GTA PS2 games in more than a decade so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but... I do remember getting really frustrated in a couple of missions in GTA3 and San Andreas.

Crossing my fingers that Rockstar re-jigs the controls a bit so it's a lot smoother and, shall we say, modern?

Theese games need a remake, not just a remaster. Mafia: City of lost heaven defenetive edition looks like a miracle - for once somebody did the right thing, and not just minimal effort stuff.
I can play my Vice City on PS2 with no censorship, all the music and the way it was intended to be played.

Of course, having this is much better than having nothing, and we haven't seen any screenshots and videos about it, but it's safe to say that this is a remaster, not a remake, and the games might have some graphical advantages, but they will be the same old games, with all the old, sometimes clunky mechanics, models, bugs and all that good stuff...

Latest Posts

Back