Grand Theft Auto Online Now Has Classic Open-Wheel Racers

I had a go at this last night, it's pretty fun! And their knockoff liveries are always good for a laugh.

My only beef (and maybe there's a setting for this) is you can't get a sense of the track cause the map only displays the next checkpoint. So yo don't really know when you're at a hairpin until it's too late.

I wonder if their tracks are knockoffs of real tracks too?

To be honest, what is the strongest side of GTA is a list of added cars. Like everything could be driven in every way. Though racing in new gen was so much disappointment as developers vision of balance. Wonder are those cars in their specific class, or?

It is nice to see them adding another race mode to GTA Online but like many players I left the game at the
end of last year and have no plans to return to it.

Cool to see the classic F1 cars but I'll stick to the F1 games for this type of racing.

I left the game because of the infinite grind and because there's simply way too much content, but absolutely nowhere to use them.

In my last attempt to continue playing this, i really tried to "grind" for things i would only use. Normal things like having my own Buffalo or classic Duke.

But at the end of the day, i really wanted to race against others in, let's say, some rally races with Dukes. But you just can't find the "normal" races. You can only find races with those crazy (and i might say, stupid) powerups with tracks from trackmania. Nothing wrong with playing with those crazy tracks. I just don't like when 9 out of 10 races are like this.

And unfortunately, i never found a crew for racing.

A shame, really. I gotta say: i hate everything about the core essence of GTAO and R*, but I LOVE all of the racing cars and the fictional liveries (sprunk is my favorite!). I wish i could just play the races over and over and over to get some decent money to buy more cars and customize them in Benny's Workshop. But it's literally impossible to grind all of that money just racing.

While i'm rating about it: even though i love the cars and i'm here talking about racing over and over again, we all know how racing goes in GTAO, right? It's a total trainwreck. It's awful and honestly it isn't fun. That's why you have to find a crew to play with, because at least those folks in crews have some decency to play fair.

Another problem is the grind. How much those cars costs? The PR4 costs $3,515,000, while the R88 is $3,115,000. THAT'S A LOT OF GRIND. I'd rather grind 20 million in GTSport by racing in a horse than doing those GODIHATESOMUCHTHISTHING heists.

Also, i wish i could sell all of my business. It was fun back in the day, but now i feel that playing them is just so boring. Yeah, yeah, that's where the money is, but after 6 years, it's just SO BORING.

Anyway. It's a nice addition to the people that are still playing. If you're out there playing it, please, use the glorious Sprunk livery for the PR4 in your glorious green Sprunk suit with the glorious green Sprunk helmet!

To be honest, what is the strongest side of GTA is a list of added cars. Like everything could be driven in every way. Though racing in new gen was so much disappointment as developers vision of balance. Wonder are those cars in their specific class, or?

They are their own "Open Wheel" class. The first new class ever in the game. They are not in "Supers" they are in their own class entirely.

Last edited:
The day after GTPlanet publishes this article, my local newspaper writes about F1 cars in GTA. Coincidence? I think not.

:gtpflag:

I preferred 4's handling, too. They were shonky malaise era cars, they shouldn't and - refreshingly - didn't handle like Micro Machines over a laminate floor.

I used to be abig fan of the GTA series (and Red Dead). However, the recent focus on the online portion of the game kind of ruins it for me.

If they really abandon or minimize the story mode, I likely won't be getting GTA 6.

DLC contents for online only don't help it, so, yeah - I guess I pretty much don't care anymore.

I won the PR4 on the wheel, and it's so fast.
My speed record in it is 178 mph.
With boost, obviously.

Im waiting for the red dead redemption 2 gtplanet article :lol:
But RDR 2 has nothing to do with cars or racing. Grand Theft Auto on the other hand has a rather vehicular theme to it, wouldn't you agree?

When you realise that GTA Online have more F1 cars that GT Sport!!!! :drool::drool::D:D

They both have 2 F1 cars? The F1500GT (basically a debadged Lotus 97t as featured in GT6) and the Mercedes W08 are in GTSport.

The Ocelot R88 seems to be mostly based on the same Lotus and the PR4 is a Mclaren Mp4/6.

I just wish the top speeds weren't GTA-ified. Without boost the cars should easily be going at least 150 rather than around 100. In open world play an F1 should easily outrun a normal police car in a straight line, let alone around corners!

Without boost the cars should easily be going at least 150 rather than around 100. In open world play an F1 should easily outrun a normal police car in a straight line, let alone around corners!
That's why I never bother fully upgrading my cars, performance wise. What's the point of zipping down the highway at max speed if I'm still going to get rear ended by a police cruiser like I was sitting still? :boggled:

GTA IV handling reminded me of the first two Driver games: Lots of lean.

Can I just get a remade Liberty City and San Andreas into one game please?

Back