Grand Tour, Eiger Norwand, Help?

• Thread starter dabest2500
  • 128 comments
dabest2500
So, for my final Special Event Gold to earn, I present to you, the Grand Tour Eiger Norwand Challenge.
My best here is 0.9 away from Gold.
I feel that I'm losing immense amounts of time at the hairpins.
I drive with a Driving Force Pro and use ABS 1 only.
Any help?

I'm a second away from gold too. I haven't tried again but maybe SRF would help? I remember that the car is pretty twitchy at the hairpins. Try to carry more speed without crashing at the hairpins whilst keeping it smooth if SRF doesn't work or you don't want to use it. I would try to gold it without SRF though. :)

I'm a second away from gold too. I haven't tried again but maybe SRF would help? I remember that the car is pretty twitchy at the hairpins. Try to carry more speed without crashing at the hairpins whilst keeping it smooth if SRF doesn't work or you don't want to use it. I would try to gold it without SRF though. :)

Skid Recovery Force can't be used.
I've hated the 8C, it was driving me nuts in the S-8 License.

I think I did it with a DS3, using TCS 7, ABS 3 and ASM at mild. I aimed to cross the bridge no slower than 34/35 seconds. The final corner is where I lost loads of time.

I think I did it with a DS3, using TCS 7, ABS 3 and ASM at mild. I aimed to cross the bridge no slower than 34 seconds. The final corner is where I lost loads of time.

TCS 7???
ABS 3???
ASM???
Sounds like really odd settings.
No harm in trying though.
What was your time?

I've only managed a silver for this too. I haven't tried with SRF on, but maybe I should. I feel like I'm losing alot of time in the hairpins. I've tried getting the back end around a bit to try and get the front pointing into the corner more, because it feels like it understeers badly in the tight corners.

I have, no I know that I need to get to the bridge before 33 seconds but...
THE 8C SUCKS.

You can get to the bridge at 34 seconds and still win by over 1 second.
I aimed to finish crossing the bridge by 34.5. When I did that, I aimed at perfecting the 2nd half.

I've only managed a silver for this too. I haven't tried with SRF on, but maybe I should. I feel like I'm losing alot of time in the hairpins. I've tried getting the back end around a bit to try and get the front pointing into the corner more, because it feels like it understeers badly in the tight corners.

You can't use SRF.

You can get to the bridge at 34 seconds and still win by over 1 second.
I aimed to finish crossing the bridge by 34.5. When I did that, I aimed at perfecting the 2nd half.

What was your overall time?

This took me so much time. After a while I finally got it and I honestly wasn't even sure what I did differently from all the other times but I beat it by around 2 tenths of a second. Just try not to let the car oversteer and drift but still go as fast as you can around corners. Analyze where you're going to slow. I used the DS3 with this and didn't modify any settings.

:scared:
Cut it very fine there...
If it was 0.007 away from Gold...
I doubt I'll get that, I use DFP.

You will do it, just expect it to take a while. I used the handbrake lightly around some corners as well, used AT. So if you use MT you should go quicker anyway.

Yep the section at the start. The videos on YouTube helped alot as well, as I spotted where I was losing some speed on the first section.

The thing with the wheel and DS3 is, with the DS3 you can very easily do full lock, with the wheel, it's harder to do full lock.

I don't know, once I get gold I like to repeat the test to see if it was not a mere fluke. Improved that time by a tenth more in later replays.

EDIT Just replayed it right now and I went down to 1:16.646

You don't need to do full locks. The less you turn the wheel in gravel and snow, the faster you will go.

I don't know if it was the full locks or what, I just couldn't be fast with the wheel on those events. I had no problem with the wheel on the Seb Loeb events though.

I used DS3:
The two sections where you will make it happen is the take off (make sure TC on about 3) and the final turn, drop into second to slow down then short shift to 3rd to floor it out nicley. Took me a little while but did get it. The rest of the tour is easy (well the Lambo was a pain but manageable).

Ok I will write down my run, I don't have a replay because I didnt save.
I spent a morning trying to gold this, the C8 is a very hard car to control, understeer and oversteer galore.Little throttle input may ruin perfectly fine lap times, I tried for like 3 hours to nail it, being smoth, entering corners at the right time trying not to go wide and really concentrating on the exit trying to slide as minimally as possible, I could not get past this challenge, the best time I got was 1:17.268 if Im not mistaken, I was like, damn.
Then I thought about changing entirely my concept, you want to slide you silly Alfa?Then that's what you will get, it took me some tries to adjust how much I slide and after some tries guess what? 1:16.8xx, ye I beat it, don't overdo it and remember the first hairpins are crucial you should be leaving the bridge at no more than 35 seconds, from now on it's just simple a matter of practice you may want to go apex later and go a bit wider so you can get on the throttle earlier in that turn after the little bridge, your time entering the tunnel should be on the high 49's, low 50's, after the tunnel slow down to about 134km/h you should approach a little bit of gravel on your left side at 1:05, brake before the gravel bit on your left just after the right one I mentioned ealier or will understeer and go wide losing time, this corner is crucial it can and will ruin perfect laps,believe me I know, I tried to apex it as late as I could and try to hit that little gravel bit on the right when you are exiting it, be careful exiting this bend, its kind of bumpy and it may upset the balance so don't get to cocky about the throttle.

Hopefully I was able to help, it is a hard challenge because what I thought I should be doing turned to be extremely harder than to try different approaches.Good luck.

Back