Grand Tour, Eiger Norwand, Help?

• Thread starter dabest2500
  • 128 comments
Golded this a long time ago, used AT back then (now I use MT, it's much easier).

Settings:
TCS: 0
ASM: Off
ABS: 1
Brakes: 10/10
Controller sensitivity: 7
Active Steering: Off
Sixaxis

Slide in the corner after the bridge/before the tunnel and go as wide as you can, start braking once you come close to that gravel part on the side of the road and that will save you about 0.500 s.

Splits (the most valuable data you can have in this sort of challenge):
Sector 1 (end of the bridge): <35.100
Tunnel (entry): <50.100
Sector 2 (tunnel exit): <56.200

Good luck.

Note:
This is hard simply because there is no ghost.

Last edited:
This is impossible man, been trying for 4 days now, 3 hours everyday and my best time is 0.7 off the gold.
I've tried all sorts of things, settings, lock, stock the goddamn lot, still no luck. The more I tried, the worse my time.
I've got gold on everything else, apart from this one, so to me, with a sixaxis, this is just pure impossible, I give up :(

This is impossible man, been trying for 4 days now, 3 hours everyday and my best time is 0.7 off the gold.
I've tried all sorts of things, settings, lock, stock the goddamn lot, still no luck. The more I tried, the worse my time.
I've got gold on everything else, apart from this one, so to me, with a sixaxis, this is just pure impossible, I give up :(

I dont know if you did the Vettel Challenge, but i have gold on this and i dont have gold on Vettel Nurburgring. For me this challenge, the Alfa Roemo its the 3th event more dificult of this game. 1st Vettel Suzuka, 2nd Nurburgring and 3rd this challenge. The secret of this challenge its the corner before the tunnel.

Just keep your cornering tight, don't try to overdrive it in an effort to make up time, if you hug the inside on all the corners you'll make the time, it took me a lot of goes but I managed it in the end.

I found the Lambo event to be much harder than this mainly because I couldn't see where I was going :lol:

Did Grand Tour on my GTP PSN & I clocked 1:16.7xx on my first try, can't believe how much I've improved since April.
Took me 7 hours during 3 days back then...
Such an easy challenge.

Tha Lambo challenge is easy when you learn the track and just do instinctively.
My problem here is the turn before the tunnel, as you guys stated. I run wide and then I keep tapping the throttle to avoid wheelspin, but even so, I either spin too much or end up hitting the left side of the tunnel as I approach entry.
The turn after the tunnel is also hard for me, I've tried it in 4th gear, just coming off the pedal before entrying and just tapping the x button to keep momentum, but even so, I feel I loose time there too. I f I come down 1 gear to 3rd, I think you lose so much time.
My best attempt was 1:17,010 which I thought it was just evil :(
Thanks for the tips, help and advice... will keep trying me thinks :)

Thanks but that's not good to me, as this was done with a wheel and not a sixaxis, so no can do :)
You can use some of the techniques in the video if you are using manual on a pad.
Been doing that for 4 days now and my times are starting to get worse, so BALLS TO IT! :)
I think the best thing for you to do is build up braking references but not only that but also speed references. For example you have to brake at x point and at x mph on the corners and accerelate out at x point. Should help with your consistency and should be able improve lap after lap until you get Gold by pushing that little bit extra.

Maybe you should just give up.
Maybe you've reached your limit, I mean - there is everything one could need in order to achieve gold.
You have splits, videos, tips etc. What more would you want?

Last edited:
Take a step back. I know where you are. You're painfully close and pissed.:banghead: Do a few trips around the track and do not pay attention to the splits. Yes, I really mean stop caring. Hopefully you find something about a turn that you didn't know before. You may be like me... the videos mean absolutely nothing, except provide speeds (usually in kph, and I use mph :crazy:), and splits. If you're going to slam you head against the wall,:banghead: back off... it helped me, gave me a renewed vigor and I got gold. All with a DS3. You can do it!!! :gtpflag:

Yeah, taking a break is actually a great advice.
I know since it helped me a few times.

Practice practice. and yes step away for like 10-15 min then tackle it again. I've also almost givin up on it before, but i kept pushing and perfected the lap. was able to get .2 faster than gold time. i was amazed i did it. It take real good car control and the most speed in every corner. and remember Traction is key, try not to drift or spin wheels too much you'll just end up loosing key time

Practice practice. and yes step away for like 10-15 min then tackle it again. I've also almost givin up on it before, but i kept pushing and perfected the lap. was able to get .2 faster than gold time. i was amazed i did it. It take real good car control and the most speed in every corner. and remember Traction is key, try not to drift or spin wheels too much you'll just end up loosing key time

Great advice! Sometimes you have to take a break or you will go crazy :lol: You will find out once you give it a 30 min break you will be faster when you hit the track again. Sometimes you hit that drivers block just as you would get writers block when writing a huge paper. 👍

Recorded with my mobile, so don't be to hard on the quality :)

TCS: 0
ASM: Off
ABS: 1
Controller sensitivity: 7
Active Steering: Off

Cheers man :)
The trick here is ebrake.
For those of you who haven't heard about that (I only found that online) on the turn before the tunnel and the last turn, as you come off the brakes, tap the handbrake to straighten the car and floor it, simples :)
Hope it helps!

oh yes, e-braking also is good at the right time. i use it from time to time(NOT DRIFTING) in a race. it can make you faster when used right at the right moment. getting yourself setup going into a corner then e-brake to point u in direction out of corner, MAX speed. I've beat some of the license test using slight e-brake.

Ah, I feel like a god now. 1:16.891

DS3, Manual gears, ABS1, Sensitivity 7, all other aids off. Didn't adjust brake bias. Chase cam :D

One of the things I was doing wrong was changing down too quickly under braking. However, the winning lap was still a big mess and I could probably have had another half a second putting my best sectors together.

Struggling through this now for a few nights, and I'm only at 1:17.8...That first section is absolutely killing me (my lowest first split is like 35.2, and I'm mostly using ABS=1, TC=0, ASM=off, Active Steering=Mild, Steering sensitivity=7, and Brakes 10/10...

I've been researching the past threads and know I'll get it sooner or later, but seriously--**** this challenge...I'm not kidding...Doing this on a DS3 is a PITA...

The irony is after a very long layoff, just for the hell of it I went back to try and gold some stuff that really gave me a headache months ago (nascar special, top gear special, and surprisingly golded most of it on my first or second attempt)...And I actually seem to get WORSE times on Eiger the more I do it...

Guess this will be my Mt. Everest in GT5...Took me about a month on and off to do the Complex String time trial in GT3, three weeks of practice every night to get the Mercedes driving mission in GT4; but if I got those, I think I can get this (cursing PD, Alfa Romeo, and the Swiss every minute of the way)...

And just as an aside, if I want to practice Eiger in practice mode, WHY can't I have the option of a standing start versus a flying start?? There's no real way to tell when I'm ready for the real test because the times don't align...

Last edited:
One of the most fascinating things about driving is that you are constantly learning and getting better. Even if you go away from this challenge, play on other track, then another different game, come back to it, and you'll feel better. That's why you are always able of doing better when you just leave and forget about it for some time.

Been trying this challenge since day 1, went from bronze, to silver, then was 0.7 from gold, 6 months later I was .01!! from gold. Last November, I finally got the gold with plenty of spare time. I was over the freaking moon!! XD

Well, all told, that was anticlimactic...I had gotten down to a 1:17.5 and I wasn't getting any closer, but on my last attempt before quitting for the night I somehow got a 1:16.960(!)...My first reaction upon seeing gold was "Oh, come on! That lap was pure crap! Even I wouldn't have given myself gold on that! I missed apexes, messed up the hairpin for the hundredth time in a row, and over-corrected my slides twice on those long sweepers after the tunnel! I've run textbook-perfect lines with flawless throttle control before this, and somehow those only got me 1:18.1XX times..."

I guess the beauty (or ugliness) of the challenge is it's sort of difficult to properly measure your progress, so you never really know until you cross the finish line...If anyone was wondering, I'd toyed around with every assist setting (including all off), but this gold was with:
Trans=Auto
TC=4
ABS=3
ASM=Off
Steering assist=Off
Steering sensitivity=6
Brake balance 6/9

But ultimately I realized during practice that the settings are window dressing, and it's a matter of technique...I could have gotten gold with pretty much any setting; this just happened to be what I felt comfortable with at that moment...

But ultimately I realized during practice that the settings are window dressing, and it's a matter of technique...I could have gotten gold with pretty much any setting; this just happened to be what I felt comfortable with at that moment...

17.808 so far, but I think you are right regarding the technique. Until today I was only able to get bronze, now I am getting silver almost every time. You have to keep tight lines around the corners. I think it's that last turn I need to get better at. My settings are similar to yours. I don't think there is one ideal setting that works for everyone, you just have to keep playing with it. That was the key for me getting the Tuscan night race was keeping tight lines, especially around the outside curves and powering out of the curves.

Yesss! Got it 1:16.916. TC=8, ABS=4, steering assist=mild, steering sensitivity=7, ASM=OFF. 1:17:303, 1:17:296, 1:17.129 then I got 1:17.010 - I was ticked off, but I got it 5 minutes later after that because I knew if I could get that close I could pull it off. Keys: Just like in a lot of the videos, maintain tight lines in the top section - you want to get to the bridge by at least 0:34.000 and the farther you can get onto the bridge at that point the better off you will be. On the long sweeping right-hander, I braked late and heavily but let off and tapped the brakes quickly to slow down enough so that I held an inside position in the turn, but didn't lose too much speed. Another key is when you come out of the turn heading to the tunnel that you are smooth and do little to no skidding. You want to get to the tunnel by 0:50.000 or at least very close. In the tunnel stay close to the wall without hitting it and when you come out lightly tap the brake and cut inside at the mini right hand curve so you can negotiate the next turn without slamming into the fence. If you do it right you will hug the apexes of the next two turns and maintain speed. The last section cannot be over-emphasized and can easily make the difference between bronze and gold. I braked once before the apex, again in between the two apexes and then a third time when at the beginning of that long right hander. There are two schools of thought from here. Either you can use the hand brake to turn the car into the proper angle or let off on the accelerator and go a little further out so you can cut back inside. I used the 2nd method to get my two fastest times. When heading for the finish line I was way over to the left close the fence to maintain speed and take the most direct line to the finish.

Back