Grand Turismo Sport MISSED THE MARK!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joseph Tito
  • 92 comments
  • 5,691 views
I'm pretty sure it missed that mark on purpose. Maybe not the optimal decision, but it is what it is.
 
Where's the challenge in predictability?
It allows you to set challenges for yourself. Can you win it with this car or those tyres. Things like that. You need predictability to set that up. I once won a 9 hour race in GT4 by 6.4 seconds in a car that was slower than the strongest AI in the race under all equal tyre life levels except when we were both on blue cold tyres.
 
Just as I will never understand racing against a bunch of dirty punters in a race game. If I couldn't race against predictable AI that allows me to create challenges for myself I'd give up race games. It's a fundamental different approach to the concept of gaming and what different people use games for. You've got yours and I've got mine.

Fair enough.

My experience of online racing probably differs from yours.

On the whole, more often than not the races i participate in are generally quite clean and the odd bit of contact is no different to racing the AI who bump into you who in some games are totally oblivious to you ever being there.

My view is AI racing is merely time trialling with objects in the way on a pre-determined route. No AI race really differs. Atleast racing online theres more variety in the quality of opponent but then equally you have to accept the human nature and accidents will happen.

Dont get me wrong. I understand people prefer AI racing. I am merely saying it doesnt appeal to me thats all.
 
It allows you to set challenges for yourself. Can you win it with this car or those tyres. Things like that. You need predictability to set that up. I once won a 9 hour race in GT4 by 6.4 seconds in a car that was slower than the strongest AI in the race under all equal tyre life levels except when we were both on blue cold tyres.

9 hours against a computer. Jeez....

This kind of highlights my point. You waited 9 hours for an outcome of the race when 9 hours ago the computer already knew the exact time its race was going to finish and what it's exact tyre wear rate was.
 
9 hours against a computer. Jeez....

This kind of highlights my point. You waited 9 hours for an outcome of the race when 9 hours ago the computer already knew the exact time its race was going to finish and what it's exact tyre wear rate was.
That's not the point. I didn't know what the outcome would be. You don't set up a race to win. You set it up to see what will happen. It was cat and mouse for nine hours mate. The RX-7 would catch me. Sometimes he'd pass me and I'd have to watch him drive away. Sometimes we hit traffic. I'd get past, he'd get stuck and I'd pull out a gap. Then he'd close again.... There was no letup. At all. For nine hours. It was the single most completely epic race I've ever had.
 
My view is AI racing is merely time trialling with objects in the way on a pre-determined route. No AI race really differs. Atleast racing online theres more variety in the quality of opponent but then equally you have to accept the human nature and accidents will happen.
Not entirely true, i started a 20 min endurance race on Interlagos with 10x fuel consumption, so i had to pit every 3th lap :lol:, a bit too frequent, but i was only 20 min so i didn't bother with end the race and choose less fuel consumption and start again, it was 20 nerve wracking minutes, i was on 4th place in the last lap and in the last corner my fuel went to 0.0% but the 3 leading cars was empty for fuel, so i passed them 100 meters from the finish line and won, i was sweat and shaky when i crossed the finish line, i couldn't believe i managed to win that race.

But i have never raced online so i can't really say what's best or worse, but i do know that i don't win everytime against the AI.
 
Personally i find it hard to understand why anyone would want to race against a computer when you can actually try and beat real people.

Each to their own though
I don't race AI either and haven't since GT4 but it's not hard to understand.
1. Don't have time to practice and prepare for racing online.
2. Prefer to setup and control the time of races and the types of opponents.
3. Prefer the predictability of AI vs. the randomness of real opponents.
4. Have an erratic schedule that isn't conducive to pre-scheduled racing times.
5. Don't want to put up with races being ruined by clowns with no restart button available.
6. Aren't in it for the uber competition aspect, just want to enjoy some more relaxed racing and hotlapping.
There are many more reasons, but it's not hard to understand why some prefer to race offline. If participation statistics we've seen so far are any indication, it remains the vast majority of players as well.
 
That's not the point. I didn't know what the outcome would be. You don't set up a race to win. You set it up to see what will happen. It was cat and mouse for nine hours mate. The RX-7 would catch me. Sometimes he'd pass me and I'd have to watch him drive away. Sometimes we hit traffic. I'd get past, he'd get stuck and I'd pull out a gap. Then he'd close again.... There was no letup. At all. For nine hours. It was the single most completely epic race I've ever had.

Honest question: Is that completely impossible to reproduce in GTS? I mean, I'd guess the AI, physics, tire wear and fuel mapping would make it more fun for people who like it. I have no idea though.
 
Like i said, each to their own.

I suppose i tend not to get too frustrated if someone makes a mistake and collides with me but i appreciate some people cant handle it and tends to ruin their enjoyment
 
I don't race AI either and haven't since GT4 but it's not hard to understand.
1. Don't have time to practice and prepare for racing online.
2. Prefer to setup and control the time of races and the types of opponents.
3. Prefer the predictability of AI vs. the randomness of real opponents.
4. Have an erratic schedule that isn't conducive to pre-scheduled racing times.
5. Don't want to put up with races being ruined by clowns with no restart button available.
6. Aren't in it for the uber competition aspect, just want to enjoy some more relaxed racing and hotlapping.
There are many more reasons, but it's not hard to understand why some prefer to race offline. If participation statistics we've seen so far are any indication, it remains the vast majority of players as well.

Appeciate you have gone to great lengths to write a long reply but i was referring to my own view on how i see online v AI racing.

If AI racing is others prefered thing thats their prerogative
 
I suppose i tend not to get too frustrated if someone makes a mistake and collides with me but i appreciate some people cant handle it and tends to ruin their enjoyment

I don't tend to get too frustrated either, but you're naive if you think collisions only happen because of mistakes.
 
Not sure about you guys but I am very disappointed in this game. Graphics and game play are good. But they missed the heart of what I think most of us wanted. The ability to have massive single player offline playing collecting cars, changing wheels, changing parts, changing color schemes and tuning. Then taking your creation and going out and winning more races to make money to buy more cars. I was hoping they would have all of this plus the ability to go online with your personal creation and race with that. Disappointing. Was hoping to get the C4 corvette and customize that fully then racing with it online. Oh well...

Gran Turismo changed to this new sport concept in Gran Turismo Sport. A lot of people happen to love it though. Me included. You really learn how to drive fast from the tests, tutorials and the HUD, and that advantage is applicable to all racing games and even IRL. There is 2P split screen, still a lot of modes for singleplayer. Livery customization, a photomode with more than a 1000 scenes. The racing classes which let people race competitively more easily.

The only thing that bothers me is that Lewis Hamilton was advertised as a tutor, but he doesn't appear in the game really. I'd like to learn from him what makes him so fast in qualifying, and racecraft.
 
Just as I will never understand racing against a bunch of dirty punters in a race game. If I couldn't race against predictable AI that allows me to create challenges for myself I'd give up race games. It's a fundamental different approach to the concept of gaming and what different people use games for. You've got yours and I've got mine.

I agree we all play games differently and having the choice is nice. I was always an offline racer until this game came out. Racing against the top level AI in racing games and always easily winning I thought I was a pretty fast racer and then I went online and started racing and found out my skillset and race pace was not as top shelf as I thought it was.

Actually has made the game more fun and more challenging and my skills have improved more in the last couple of months more than the last couple of full editions of GT racing the AI.
Sometimes we hit traffic. I'd get past, he'd get stuck and I'd pull out a gap.

This is the exact reason that racing the AI presents so much less of a challenge than racing human opponents. The AI is slower in the corners and through the chicanes, the AI does not work traffic as efficiently as a human racer and how the AI reacts in any given situation can be learned.

Even races using pit stops the AI will always take the same tires where a human opponent may not take tires at all just fuel late race to get out of the pits quicker. You want to be actually challenged then race humans and just save the AI for practice making passes off your optimal racing line.

I have had races that have been crashfest and I have had races that have been clean racing even mid pack from start to finish. I do now usually prefer the longer daily races as the races seem to be of a cleaner nature.

So get your ranking and driving skills for sportmode to where you can race in SR S lobbies and learn which tracks are known to be more prone to crashfest racing and avoid those and you can find clean races online.

It is good we all have our choices, makes the game fun and enjoyable for everyone but if you are actually looking for challenging races then racing the AI falls way short in my opinion and from what I have experienced first hand than racing human opponents.
 
Appeciate you have gone to great lengths to write a long reply but i was referring to my own view on how i see online v AI racing.

If AI racing is others prefered thing thats their prerogative
Personally i find it hard to understand why anyone would want to race against a computer when you can actually try and beat real people.
 

Whats your point? You have essentially repeated back what i just said...
 
Personally i find it hard to understand why anyone would want to race against a computer when you can actually try and beat real people.

Each to their own though
How about because you don't have to wait god know how long to get a full grid of AI and start a race and you can race against AI at any time? Just one reason why people would and do prefer AI over online.
 
I don't tend to get too frustrated either, but you're naive if you think collisions only happen because of mistakes.

I agree but then racing against AI results in collisions because they have no idea where you are in some instances.

Referring back to what i have said previously, on the whole and i include iracing here, the standard of driving is good enough for me to accept occasionally you get the odd clown messing about to make online racing much more rewarding

How about because you don't have to wait god know how long to get a full grid of AI and start a race and you can race against AI at any time? Just one reason why people would and do prefer AI over online.

Its hardly a long wait on GT Sport or iracing. GTS i logged onto today for 3 races and my longest wait was 7 minutes. To race online, not exactly a long wait.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about you guys but I am very disappointed in this game. Graphics and game play are good. But they missed the heart of what I think most of us wanted. The ability to have massive single player offline playing collecting cars, changing wheels, changing parts, changing color schemes and tuning. Then taking your creation and going out and winning more races to make money to buy more cars. I was hoping they would have all of this plus the ability to go online with your personal creation and race with that. Disappointing. Was hoping to get the C4 corvette and customize that fully then racing with it online. Oh well...
Im very desapointed with the Sport. Is boring. Need urgently new tracks, i mean, really ones, like MONZA, LE MANS, SPA, ...i play with friends since gt5, I was expecting a super gt6 , and ... well, what the hell is GTSPORT ?? With a Oval that is good for bicicles, with no tracks for GT1 CARS, i couldn t believe when i bought the game that neither of the 3 tracks was there. A race simulator game WITHOUT LE MANS ?? What is happening there, in Polyphonic ?? The tracks we use , and by "we" i mean all the players that look for it , is Dragon Trail and Nurb...what else ?? A kind of mini SPA and MONZA, but really, after a few hours, people just go play others games. Believe me. Better GTSPORT INCREASE THE TRACKS OFFER, OR I SIMPLY WILL GIVE UP. ....and...a oval that we do in 20 seconds ...?? For kids or what the hell is that for ?? I m felling as someone is laughing on my face, as well my friends.
 
Im very desapointed with the Sport. Is boring. Need urgently new tracks, i mean, really ones, like MONZA, LE MANS, SPA, ...i play with friends since gt5, I was expecting a super gt6 , and ... well, what the hell is GTSPORT ?? With a Oval that is good for bicicles, with no tracks for GT1 CARS, i couldn t believe when i bought the game that neither of the 3 tracks was there. A race simulator game WITHOUT LE MANS ?? What is happening there, in Polyphonic ?? The tracks we use , and by "we" i mean all the players that look for it , is Dragon Trail and Nurb...what else ?? A kind of mini SPA and MONZA, but really, after a few hours, people just go play others games. Believe me. Better GTSPORT INCREASE THE TRACKS OFFER, OR I SIMPLY WILL GIVE UP. ....and...a oval that we do in 20 seconds ...?? For kids or what the hell is that for ?? I m felling as someone is laughing on my face, as well my friends.

You are aware that in the time it took you to write this, had you spent the same minimal time in researching the game you would have been aware of the lack of tracks etc before you purchased it.

In the day and age of the internet there is no excuse for not knowing this.

It was well known pre release
 
Whats your point? You have essentially repeated back what i just said...
I repeated it back because you contradicted yourself. First you said you didn't understand why people would prefer online so I gave you a list of reasons. Then you did a 180 and said you were referring to your own view on racing offline which is not what you said to begin with. All we have to follow here are words on the screen so I can only answer literally. I can't read your mind to know that you actually meant the exact opposite.
 
I repeated it back because you contradicted yourself. First you said you didn't understand why people would prefer online so I gave you a list of reasons. Then you did a 180 and said you were referring to your own view on racing offline which is not what you said to begin with. All we have to follow here are words on the screen so I can only answer literally. I can't read your mind to know that you actually meant the exact opposite.

I would have thought that when i wrote "personally i don't understand why" the clue would have been it was my own personal opinion only...

So you dont really need to read my mind, you merely just need to be able to read.
 
I was expecting a super gt6
If you had done some research before you bought GT S, you would know that GT S is nothing like GT 5 or GT 6 and if you had read some more you would find out that we will receive more tracks later and more cars.
 
He won't look at this thread anymore. 80% of the whining threads are created by people who made throwaway accounts...
Hm, you have a point, he hasn't been here since friday:

upload_2017-12-10_21-22-35.png
 
He won't look at this thread anymore. 80% of the whining threads are created by people who made throwaway accounts...
Does it surprise you when the GTS Can Do No Wrong brigade get involved?
 
The guy is allowed to have his say without people trolling him surely. Just because we all played it already doesn't mean newcomers should stay in the background.

Doesn't matter if he played for 1 min or 1 day, he doesn't like it. It is that kind of game.

Just don't click on the thread if it's just another whiner to you. That's worse.
Agreed but with a little common sense might saved himself a lotta pain..... Just sayin.
 
Does it surprise you when the GTS Can Do No Wrong brigade get involved?

I think its more to do with for a first attempt at serious online racing its a very good first attempt.

Too many people in life like to focus on the negatives rather positives
 
Back