Grand Valley Highway 1 vs. Real Life [More added Pg. 2]

• Thread starter Yui-san
  • 86 comments
TBH, the amount of work, effort and love PD put in this new track is absolutely incredible. I gotta say I respect it and admire it.

BUT. And it is a big BUT...

Why bother to mess around with an iconic track of the series and make it a Frankenstein of a Real/original track? If you really wanted to create a seaside circuit of Californian roads with tons of landmarks, why don't make something 100% unique?

Also, why bother naming it "Grand Valley" if, you know... THERE IS NO VALLEY AT ALL. The name does not feel right.

I don't hate what they did to GVS. I'm just incredibly confused with the approach they took to bring the circuit back.
If there are no valleys, what is it that those bridges are going over? Seriously, some people have no grasp on the language.

I like the track, but as someone metioned this could be a different track instead of Gran Valley. I like the environment, even if it feels a bit sterile or lacking vegetation. It' really fun to race. I tried at night race with some 70s road cars in a custom race. The only thing I dislike from most road race tracks in recent GT games is that the road is too wide at some segments. Each lane is like 2 car wide at some points and that is unrealistic. However they have some parts with the right size, strange.

Last edited:
There's nothing between Monterey and Morro Bay on highway 1 that I would characterize as a "Grand Valley". There's a smallish valley south of Molera Point, but that doesn't appear to be used as inspiration for this circuit which is almost exclusively along the cliffs. Grand Valley would easily apply to Sonoma or Napa Valley or maybe Salinas Valley (dunno how grand I consider Salinas..). Grand Bluff would have made a lot more sense.

To be clear, I'm fine with the retcon, it's just odd to call something that clearly isn't a valley a valley.
I mean its a V shaped valley? What is a valley to you?

The red area in this map is a very large V shaped valley and you get them with pretty much all landscapes with mountain ranges and rivers.

The yellow area are the larger U shaped valleys formed from glaciers

BAC43CDD-2AD4-4039-856F-687171732701.jpeg

Also here’s one with the famous Bixby Bridge this GVH1 is based on
CE426648-90CC-4C89-9EA2-70469342E08F.jpeg

Last edited:
As much as I want Monaco back, Kaz said in an interview that city circuits are unlikely to be added to GT7 because of how much time it would take to recreate all the details to current-gen standards. I actually made a side-by-side comparison back in the PS3 days and the track looked pretty dated.

15109228177_b2560f183d_c.jpg

Would be neat if they added another original circuit based in the French Rivera though.
Well there's definitely a difference between "current-gen standards" and "Polyphony standards" as evidenced by the details in this thread. There's absolutely no reason to fully model a hamburger on a plate but they did it anyway. Whether or not this kind of thing is unnecessary obsession that slows down Polyphony's production pipeline is a debate I'll leave for another thread. :D

Last edited:
I need me a Gran Turismo borgar. 🤤

As a SF Bay Area resident who has driven the SR1 a few times, the amount of details PD got right for Grand Valley Highway 1 is truly impressive, especially for things 90% of players would never even notice like the Big Sur Lighthouse that's way out of frame.

Here's a side-by-side comparison for you to appreciate all the details PD replicated.
(Decided to make a new thread as to not flood the other ones with photos)

Tracy Cove Bridge vs. Bixby Bridge, Monterey
View attachment 1233527
View attachment 1233528
View attachment 1233529

View attachment 1233159
View attachment 1233160

Grand Valley Bridge vs. Coronado Bridge, San Diego
(pier columns) / Limekiln Creek Bridge, Big Sur View attachment 1233162
View attachment 1233161

Unnamed bridge
(ft. easter egg) vs. Willow Creek Bridge, Monterey View attachment 1233165

Ocean Rocks Shelter vs. Rain Rocks Rock Shed, Big Sur
View attachment 1233163
tunnel-jpg.1232766

Hurricane Point, Big Sur
View attachment 1233170

Elephant seals, San Simeon
View attachment 1233169View attachment 1233168

Big Sur Lighthouse
View attachment 1233171

Kirk Creek Campground, Big Sur
View attachment 1233172

Portal to Big Sur, Ragged Point
View attachment 1233177

Doge Point vs. Ragged Point
View attachment 1233185

Doge Point Inn vs Ragged Point Inn
View attachment 1233178
View attachment 1233190
View attachment 1233179View attachment 1233184
View attachment 1233181
View attachment 1233180View attachment 1233183
View attachment 1233182

Los Padres National Forest sign
View attachment 1233191

Fish and Wildlife Area sign
(Interestingly, these are found in Indiana irl)
View attachment 1233193

Nacimiento Road
View attachment 1233192

Other signs
View attachment 1233197
View attachment 1233198
View attachment 1233199
View attachment 1233196

View attachment 1233200

EDIT: Bonus
View attachment 1233245View attachment 1233246

I may be road tripping to SoCal this summer, I’ll see if I can do some “GT Tourism” on the way.

Great!

What we can see here is tail polishing by PD developers. Great work though. Wish, they would have invested so much time in a nice career/single player mode.

Now I can put my PS5 on, press "Pause" and enjoy the view on the screen. I think it's time to buy me a new TV - Samsung The Frame!!!

Seein this track. I wish every other one got this grand valley/trial mountain treatment. I'm talking about the real tracks. They should have this minute polishing

@Yui-san What a delightful thing to wake up to on a Saturday morning. I was mesmerized by those comparison pics.

It really sheds light on the way PD obsesses with reality. Makes me appreciate Kaz and his team all the more.

And thank you, Sir! This must have been very time intensive for you to put together and it's appreciated 👍🥂

I now have completely different view on the change of the trackside theme. Some funny things here and there too :)

I would love to see the original theme too :(

Beautiful track but I have no idea why they decided to call it grand valley. All of the remade tracks from the past have some sort of resemblance to their original layouts but this track looks completely different than the original grand valley. I just don't get why we couldn't have called it something else.
My guess is they already planned this location for new track, but since fans constantly asked them for GV they make simillar layout using real life locations and name it Grand Valley.
New track is great, but this is not GV. Old track was much better for racing

Great but please in the next original track don't change everything, something like Deep forest, trial mountain is enough no more than that.
On these 2 tracks, they completely destroyed the layout. In Grand Valley its a minor change here and there + elevation change. Still better to have more or less the same layout than creating tilke hairpins.
Would love if PD wouldnt change the theme also. but what the heck. Its PD :D

In other words, This Grand Valley feels like its a mod made in BeamNG and its Utah setting.

Last edited:
I am absolutely hooked on this track. It drives great. It looks mesmerizing and it is just so much fun. Doing a morning to night race (15laps) and setting the weather and opponents (japanese 600pp) and I have the time of my live this GT7. Seeing the colour of the see change due to the clouds or sun and seeing the sun dip into the ocean with all the colour changes in the clouds is just pure art.

Yes it is different than the old Grand Valley but after driving numerous laps, not that much different. The flow is almost similar.

The track just feels alive and that so awesome

Wow! Thanks for this great comparison. Now, one can really appreciate the effort they put into making, a new Grand Valley track. Even though I loved the OG version, the new one keeps growing on me every day, especially now after seeing this comparison... Damnn

wth... we are getting eerily close to reality. To think these graphics are playable on VR, albeit at a slightly lower fidelity. Just Craazy
At first I thought the draw distance on this track wasn't quite keeping up but then I saw the real-life photos. The whole landscape is mostly grassland, just a few pockets of trees, and it literally looks like an incomplete model in real life. :lol:

Interesting. I could imagine taking a real place and turn it into a fictional racetrack, but I could never have imagined taking a fictional racetrack and turn it into a real place.
Quiet the same for Dragon Trail which is kind of placed on the location of a real world racing track in Croatia near Rijeka but the track is completely fictional and has nothing in common with the real world track.

I think the one think that pulls me out of it being an immersive track is how bland the road textures are and how they don’t seem to really be connected to the landscape. Kinda like slot car track being laid through the landscape.

Kinda wish they also didn’t choose to go so brown on everything as well.

Last edited:
Back