Grand Valley Speedway GT in real life location - thoughts and views anyone???

Seattle and New York at least are real, someone found them on maps and compared them to the real places - I think it was Polyphony themselves though. Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul also seem to be real.

I've found all the city tracks except (obviously) the made up ones and Hong Kong in my atlas.

I've put thought into these tracks and where they might be..

Grand Valley: I had pegged this one for Austrailia for some reason, mainly cuz i was thinking at the time that perhaps there was a track for every country in the game. Although after reading this thread i think west coast USA would be a good bet for it.

High Speed Ring: Netherlands. The scenery is much flatter than almost all the other tracks.

Midfield Raceway: Probably japan.. but its hard to say.

Trail Mountain: Italy.. northern italy near the Tyrol.

Deep Forest: Its got to be either Germany or Sweden, no doubt.

Autumn Ring: With all those leaves we are talking about Upstate NY, Massachusetts, or Vermont

Apricot Hill: Who knows? England maybe?

You didn't check the link, did you?

I thought you put that in as a joke

I think Highspeed ring could be passed off as being English, check out the grey-ish sky, anyone from northern england could tell you thats a regular!

To me it seems High Speed Ring is a thinly disguised Fuji 80's and hence, set in Japan.

Someone had posted a while back in the GT2 or GT3 forum similarities between Apricot Hill and Suzuka: double apex corner after the start-finish line followed by a series of esses, hairpin at about mid-course, chicane just before the final sweeper onto the start-finish straight.

To me it seems High Speed Ring is a thinly disguised Fuji 80's and hence, set in Japan.
High Speed Ring is a homage to the track in Pole Position, and that was an 80's computer game version of Fuji.

I think Highspeed ring could be passed off as being English, check out the grey-ish sky, anyone from northern england could tell you thats a regular!

I doubt that.. if High Speed Ring were english they would have stuck chicanes and infield loops everywhere to try and slow things down :indiff:

Hence why it could be in Tulip land: They'll be too stoned to care :dopey:

I'm thinking High Speed Ring and the test course, actully, are based off of these locations in Japan, giving me reason to believe that the circuits are based in Japan.
testcourse1fj1.png

testcourse2jy4.png

testcourse3pr3.png

testcourse4jr4.png

I found the first three in the Tsukuba area on Google Earth, the second and third are actully right next to each other, so I assume they are part of the same complex. The fourth is found not far from Mt. Fuji.

Also, I am another one who believes Grand Valley is in Western Canada, not sure why I came to believe that, though.

Here's one we all missed: Red Rock Speedway!

The term "Red Rock" suggests it could be in the southwestern United States like near Arizona, which has some areas that are colored by red clay-rock. And yet, Red Rock Amphitheatre is in Colorado so it could be there too.

The banked curves mixed with some regular non-banked areas are reminiscent of Daytona...which is in Florida, but the sky in Red Rock Speedway and the lighting (blaring halide lamps) suggest the sun is going down when the race occurs and for some reason the atmosphere/lack of clouds in the sky seem desert-like..

...which makes me think of Arizona like I said. If it were Colorado there would be some coniferous trees don't you think? Dont' see any foliage here. Can't be New Mexico...there are only like 2 people per square mile...how in hell would they pack EVERY SINGLE SEAT at Red Rock if it were in NM? :D

Last edited:
Hmm Red Rock Speedway, fills me with nostalgia, a long forgotten track for many I am sure, just like Grindelwalt we know where that is situated (Switzerland)and Rome night we know where that is situated too (Italy).

The one for Hong Kong is real. I am from Hong Kong, and it's based on the Golden Mile and associated areas. The roads are actually quite accurate with the exception on the section near the harbour, which is a promenade.

All the city courses follow real streets in the appropriate city with the exception of Citta di Aria and Costa di Amalfi. However only Cote d'Azur is ever used for a race IRL.

All the city courses follow real streets in the appropriate city with the exception of Citta di Aria and Costa di Amalfi. However only Cote d'Azur is ever used for a race IRL.

Actully, Citta Di Aria is based off of real roads.

The one for Hong Kong is real. I am from Hong Kong, and it's based on the Golden Mile and associated areas. The roads are actually quite accurate with the exception on the section near the harbour, which is a promenade.

I always thought that was a bit goofy...that harbour area. I'm like...is this part of the road? :)

What about the Driving Park tracks?

Gymkhana is a real thing and is very popular in Japan, so that's what I'm thinking where it would be IRL.

Grand Valley Speedway? I live in Argentina, and it really seems like a place in here, maybe La Pampa.
I would place Trial Mountain next to the Loch Ness. You can see a fisherman in the water, and the Loch Nes Monster (I didn't see it,, I just only found the fisherman, if you see the Monster, can you send me a picture?). I read this in wikipedia, hope it is true.
Had it not been for Nessy, I would have placed Trial Mountain in Switzerland or Austria maybe...somewhere with mountains.

As for Grand Valley...well I was thinking maybe somewhere in America, near California perhaps, or maybe even New Zealand, but that probably doesn't cover the large bridge and what looks like sea...

The Driving Park tracks have similar scenery to Fuji Speedway, so I'd place my bet on places like Motorland possibly being in Japan. If not, then my next guess would be Germany, Test Course and Japan just doesn't seem to fit for me...

Last edited:
way to bump a 6 year old thread

Their comments were on-topic and added to the discussion. Yours did not. Generally if you have nothing to add, you shouldn't add anything.

As for GVS, I'd place it somewhere in the France-Germany area although actually it could be pretty much anywhere.

Had it not been for Nessy, I would have placed Trial Mountain in Switzerland or Austria maybe...somewhere with mountains.

As for Grand Valley...well I was thinking maybe somewhere in America, near California perhaps, or maybe even New Zealand, but that probably doesn't cover the large bridge and what looks like sea...

The Driving Park tracks have similar scenery to Fuji Speedway, so I'd place my bet on places like Motorland possibly being in Japan. If not, then my next guess would be Germany, Test Course and Japan just doesn't seem to fit for me...

I heard rumors that they might actually build Grand Valley in real life. I haven't heard anything else about it though.

Also, Test Course would be placed in Japan because it is! The Tochigi Proving Ground looks almost like Test Course.
tochigi.jpg

Their comments were on-topic and added to the discussion. Yours did not. Generally if you have nothing to add, you shouldn't add anything.

Exactly, thank you.

Anyway, I came across this thread today (22 Oct 2015 - roughly 8 years later) because I was revisiting GT6, GVS specifically. I noticed that in the preliminary set up screen (before the race), in the distance, beyond the turn 1 grandstands, there are skyscrapers. I don't know if anyone has made a post about this in the past, but I thought it was interesting in that you don't see those same images of buildings during the race.

Back