GranTurismo 7 Damage model

• Thread starter owoc12
  • 66 comments
At least Gran Turismo 5 had deformable cars and panels. Whereas GT6 and GT Sport are just scratches and fake dents (they're just textures). Although GT Sport does had headlight lenses that crack and shatter.

GT5:
gt5-bestbuy-damage-round2-8-860x645.jpg
Gran-Turismo-1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
knjE4ETheduYMMcVjBDYUWOO2uP6EENTuoqbIx2du08.jpg

GT Sport:
1507543848-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-beta-20171009120416.png
gd2py9mxogrz.jpg

1507543837-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-beta-20171009114855-800x450.png

I feel GT7 should be a hybrid of both.

Last edited:
At least Gran Turismo 5 had deformable cars and panels. Whereas GT6 and GT Sport are just scratches and fake dents (they're just textures). Although GT Sport does had headlight lenses that crack and shatter.

GT5:
gt5-bestbuy-damage-round2-8-860x645.jpg
Gran-Turismo-1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
knjE4ETheduYMMcVjBDYUWOO2uP6EENTuoqbIx2du08.jpg

GT Sport:
1507543848-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-beta-20171009120416.png
gd2py9mxogrz.jpg

1507543837-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-beta-20171009114855-800x450.png

I feel GT7 should be a hybrid of both.
Yeah i remember GT5 had the best damage for rally cars
In gt7 they should do it like the new GRID

Last edited:
Actually only the rally cars for GT5, those are actually good stuff.
But more importantly we should be able to retire if the car suffers too much damage.
That kind of damage is quite easy to agree on for race cars but to get manufacturers to agree to subjecting thier road cars to it in a game is a whole different proposition and likely a battle you will lose in most cases.

Some manufacturers are less picky about thier cars being damaged in a game than others, but others are very stubborn and don't want to allow thier cars to be damaged beyond a certain extent. That's why in games like Forza the damage has never extended to doors coming off and the cars being totalled.

In ACC, wheels come off on all the cars. So, even though it's a fully licenced GT3/GT4 games, major manufacturers somehow allowed that level of damage.

Whether it has to do with sales being less than mainstream games like GT and Forza, I don't know.

In ACC, wheels come off on all the cars. So, even though it's a fully licenced GT3/GT4 games, major manufacturers somehow allowed that level of damage.

Whether it has to do with sales being less than mainstream games like GT and Forza, I don't know.
Assetto Corsa Competizione features only racing cars, no road cars. Licensing is quite different for racing cars as it is for road cars and manufacturers are a lot stricter (generally speaking) when it comes to what a developer can and can't do with thier road cars in a game.

What was the damage like in Assetto Corsa which had road cars IIRC?

Last edited:
Assetto Corsa Competizione features only racing cars, no road cars. Licensing is quite different for racing cars as it is for road cars and manufacturers are a lot stricter (generally speaking) when it comes to what a developer can and can't do with thier road cars in a game.

What was the damage like in Assetto Corsa which had road cars IIRC?
Been a while since I last played. The windscreens would crack on impact. Can't remember totalling a road car. I mainly used race cars.

They could at least make the effort to model a deflated tire... Carbon dust or even fire in case of overheating brakes. I don't know, there is an astronomical amount of things that are easy to model.

:nervous:

They could at least make the effort to model a deflated tire... Carbon dust or even fire in case of overheating brakes. I don't know, there is an astronomical amount of things that are easy to model.

:nervous:
There's an astronomical amount of things the manufacturers don't want to see happen to thier road cars in a computer game too.

The reason we don't see extreme damage on road cars in racing games is licensing, pick up a game focused on fictional cars and you see some fantastic damage models here and there. Some games focused solely on racing cars have good damage models too. But you don't see games with road cars coming close and that's due to licensing.

I don't want to see the damage model be massively inconsistent, i.e. a certain car or type of car being subject to considerably more damage modelling than other cars. I would much prefer it to be broadly equal across the whole game.

There's an astronomical amount of things the manufacturers don't want to see happen to thier road cars in a computer game too.

The reason we don't see extreme damage on road cars in racing games is licensing, pick up a game focused on fictional cars and you see some fantastic damage models here and there. Some games focused solely on racing cars have good damage models too. But you don't see games with road cars coming close and that's due to licensing.

I don't want to see the damage model be massively inconsistent, i.e. a certain car or type of car being subject to considerably more damage modelling than other cars. I would much prefer it to be broadly equal across the whole game.
Dude what are you talking about

Showed you an example of good damage model on road cars
And? Re-read my post, I never said we can't see good damage modelling on road cars, I said the reason we don't see extreme damage modelling on road cars, certainly not consistenly at least, is due to licensing.

Car manufacturers have a right and control over how thier property is treated in a video game, this is why some manufacturers decide from time to time they don't want their cars to appear in street racing games entirely.

You are at the mercy of what the car manufacturers will allow you to do, if you have a small number of cars you might find more wiggle room because you are negotiating with fewer parties. A trend is that cars in current production are the ones manufacturers are most protective over and there are marketing reasons behind all of that.

Developers have to choose how to implement damge in thier game and if they want it to be consistent or not. For example say you design a game that features TVR's and Porches racing each other, TVR say "do what you want to our cars" but Porsche say "scratches and minor dents only" (this is just as an example) as a game developer you then have two choices, do you allow the TVR's to get broken apart but just scratches and minor dents on the Porches or do you restrict the TVR's to just scratches and minor dents too?

Decisions like this are why getting a consistently complex and detailed visual damage model in a game featuring road cars is extremely difficult.

While you can get a good damage model in if you negotiate it well enough, the games with the best visual damage focus on either only racing cars or fictional cars, that's excluding games with inconsistent damage models where certain cars get damanged noticably more than others. Cases in point would be Bean NG Drive, Wreckfest, Dirt Rally etc.They all provide consistently high if not extreme damage across all of thier cars but do not feature licensed road cars.

I think some people just think it's entirely up to the developers what goes into the game and what doesn't and why the cars don't disintegrate when they impact a wall head on at 200mph.

Last edited:
if there would been some big improvement in damage model we would have already seen it in promo gameplay or screens

Last edited:
In my honest opinion I would like a mix of GT5's damage, along with the body warping of GT6 as well as the cracked glass, dents and scratches of GT Sport. and maybe falling parts like the wing, mirror, hood and trunk (as well as the possibility of the headlights/taillights to be completely destroyed).

Damage being restricted due to licensing has never actually been proven to my knowledge. I mean, logic tells you that there certainly would be a limit, they aren't going to want them to see their cars crushed to nothing, but there has never been anyone that has come out and said they can't significantly damage road cars, AFAIK.

The Kunos guy even said years ago it was an "urban myth" and the only restrictions were to showing blood and injury.

Damage is just really hard to do well with hyper detailed modern cars. People always point to BeamNG but those cars are specifically made from the start to support that and are limited in other ways, namely detail.

Last edited:
Back