Greatest Street Car Rivalries

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 80 comments
  • 3,302 views
Some more classic battles:

Peugeot 205 GTi vs VW Golf GTi
Jaguar E-Type vs Aston Martin DB5
Lamborghini Miura vs Ferrari Daytona
 
Originally posted by chaser_fan
Some more classic battles:

Peugeot 205 GTi vs VW Golf GTi

Damn, you beat me to it (205 wins in my opinion);)
 
Mercedes SLK230K vs BMW Z3 3.0
BMW 760Li vs Mercedes S600L
the usual

or

Ferrari F360 Modena vs Lamborghini Gallardo
BMW M3 CSL vs Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Honda NSX vs Ferrari 348tb
Jaguar XJ220 vs McLaren F1
Lamborghini Countach vs Ferrari Testarossa
Porsche 928 vs Jaguar XJ-S
Vauxhall VX220 vs Lotus Elise (I know it's still built by lotus)
Ford Falcon vs Holden Commodore
 
Originally posted by menglan
(aren't trans ams just firebirds with better performance?)



or how about the bandit's trans am vs. buford t.justice's oldsmobile(was it an olds):eek:

ur obviously not a big muscle car fan, but yes the Trans Am was a package pontiac came out with to give the Firebird a whole new meaning of fast!

I think the Biggest car rivalry, In Tallahassee FL. anyway, is mustang vs. anything else!
 
Actually the Mustangs American competition has died greatly.Tell me any American sports car that starts at 17,000. And I wouldn't even bother to compare it to any thing from over seas since its just not a rivalry.
 
Originally posted by BlazinXtreme
Actually the Mustangs American competition has died greatly.Tell me any American sports car that starts at 17,000. And I wouldn't even bother to compare it to any thing from over seas since its just not a rivalry.

This is a pretty decent point - in my opinion, its only domestic competiton in the 'midsize convertible' segment is the Chrysler Sebring convertible and Ford Thunderbird; its only domestic competition in the 'midsize coupe' segment is the Pontiac GTO, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Dodge Stratus coupe, and Chrysler Sebring coupe. That said, no domestic coupe or convertible - or car on the market - presently matches the Mustang for value. The closest to the base price would be the Sebring, Monte Carlo, and Stratus, but they're nothing like the Mustang for power and handling; the closest to power and handling would be the GTO and it's nothing like the Mustang for price.

It's interesting - I ordered, among others, a brochure for the Mustang from Ford's website - they personalize brochures with a comparison of 'your choosing', and their three choices for a comparison were Mustang vs. Tiburon, Eclipse, or Celica. In my opinion, none are even close competitors - perhaps that's why they were the only choices. I don't think there's a better two-door car on the road.
 
Originally posted by M5Power
I don't think there's a better two-door car on the road....
...in the V-8 RWD category, and in that price range. I would opine that the RSX is a better car overall. It may not match the Mustang in speed (Mustang Mach 1 13.8 quarter, RSX Type S 14.8 quarter, and yes, it is duly noted that the Cobra is MUCH faster) but is more nimble in the curves. Other worthy competitors include the RX-8 and G35 coupe. But none of these offer a V-8. That is what brings in Mustang sales. You really cant find a cheaper V-8 car.
 
Originally posted by skip0110
...in the V-8 RWD category, and in that price range. I would opine that the RSX is a better car overall. It may not match the Mustang in speed (Mustang Mach 1 13.8 quarter, RSX Type S 14.8 quarter, and yes, it is duly noted that the Cobra is MUCH faster) but is more nimble in the curves. Other worthy competitors include the RX-8 and G35 coupe. But none of these offer a V-8. That is what brings in Mustang sales. You really cant find a cheaper V-8 car.

At $23300, the RSX Type-S is just $100 cheaper than the Mustang GT Deluxe coupe, which comes with a 260-horsepower 4.6L V8 to the Type-S's 200-horsepower 2.0L 4-cylinder. The Mustang does 0-60 a full second faster, it has just as much spec (thanks to the RSX's odd absence of a sunroof) and it handles nearly as well. Plus, the Mustang is bigger both in interior and cargo room and it offers an automatic transmission.

The RX-8 and G35 coupe are not worthy competitors. The RX-8 is down on spec to the Mustang GT Deluxe - if you add in the necessary spec, it takes such a hit on price that you could get a Mach 1 which kicks the RX-8's ass in acceleration and does surprisingly well in handling. A G35 coupe with leather and a manual transmission is just $2000 less than a Mustang Cobra, which has 110 more horsepower and - yes, I'm about to say this - better handling.
 
I must feel like a hip-hop star, because I'm covered up in Platinum. Platinum Member, baby!

Anyhow, this MAY be a new rivalry:

Ford Mustang vs. Subaru Impreza/WRX STi

I seen the wild Impreza STi as my brother was looking for a new truck. In a way, it's hard to imagine that (and I'm not going to put any Japanese car fans down) a very capable and popular Japanese car could beat a pony car. Who knows? Maybe the WRX STi will get a Stage 1 upgrade and look to become a Corvette killer. Or (and I dare Subaru) a Viper killer!

Subarus. Good cars. Just a little expensive. Anyone who played Gran Turismos 1 and 2 know you can't get a used one cheap.
 
Expensive? Naaah. Second fastest care for the price range, I think. I'm sure M5 will come in and tell us. Please? But as I was describing to my parents earlier, Subaru's aren't refined. The shifter is clunky, there are loud noises, more rattles and such. I do notice it, but none of it bothers me. It just may set a few people off.

I think an STi would murder the V6 and GT Mustangs, but they can just wave bye bye to the supercharged Cobra. That thing is a hoss, as far as straight lines go. They're in the same class according to SCCA, which sounds about right. Mustangs don't seem to have the best handling capabilities and I imagine that's where the STi makes up for being down on power.

Heavily modified WRXs are running pretty quick straight lines. There are videos of a WRX beating a Z06 by a car length (went to about 110mph). There is also another guy running 10.9s in his WRX. But this is also with a stock transmission, and legally too.

PS. It's a bit off topic, but I was suprised to learn the 350Z were so slow!!! They seem like such a monster of a car, but they're horrid in a straight line. 14.7s or so for a stock 350?! Wow, even the WRX is rated faster, and I thought I was in a much slower car. It's probably faster around a course, but I was suprised how slow it was in the straight line.

PS's PS. I just looked at the last autocross and even though I'm just a novice, and only had my car for a month and never raced it before, I was only two tenths behind the 350Z that was there! He must suck just as bad as I do.
 
Originally posted by Goomba
PS. It's a bit off topic, but I was suprised to learn the 350Z were so slow!!! They seem like such a monster of a car, but they're horrid in a straight line. 14.7s or so for a stock 350?!

That sounds odd to me. A 350Z should be a low 14 second car with traps in the 100-101 range. Lightly modded cars break 13s routinely. Maybe an automatic Vert is in the late 14s.


M
 
Pretty soon in my city there is going to be a rivalry against my Omni and every Honda/Acura that has the assumption of being fast.


And they will lose.
 
Neons vs. anything else FWD.

Originally posted by Monster7
Pretty soon in my city there is going to be a rivalry against my Omni and every Honda/Acura that has the assumption of being fast.


And they will lose.
At a Delaware Valley Shelby Dodge Association event, I saw a brand new Z06 (still had paper tags on it) snap an axle trying to beat a GLH that probably cost less than $2000 to buy and put together.
:trouble:
The guy in the 'Vette thought nothing could be more embarrassing than having been beaten the first time...
 
Originally posted by Goomba
Expensive? Naaah. Second fastest care for the price range, I think. I'm sure M5 will come in and tell us. Please?


I'm not sure about fastest in the price range (I don't bother with top speed) but I'd bet it's the quickest in the price range - it's quicker than a V8 Mustang, and that's the only thing I can think of that'd have similar acceleration and price.

I think an STi would murder the V6 and GT Mustangs, but they can just wave bye bye to the supercharged Cobra. That thing is a hoss, as far as straight lines go. They're in the same class according to SCCA, which sounds about right. Mustangs don't seem to have the best handling capabilities and I imagine that's where the STi makes up for being down on power.

I'm not sure - I think a Mustang Cobra could beat an STi in any circumstance (except, of course, in inclement weather). I think the Cobra and STi have extremely similar handling and of course, with a 0-60 of 5.0secs to the STi's 5.5, the Cobra's quicker.

PS's PS. I just looked at the last autocross and even though I'm just a novice, and only had my car for a month and never raced it before, I was only two tenths behind the 350Z that was there! He must suck just as bad as I do.

With a manual transmission, the 350Z should be able to beat any Subaru but the STi on a course and a straight line.

Neons vs. anything else FWD.

Mazda Tribute?
 
Yeah, top speed is neither here nor there, but I just think fast and quick are the same. Acceleration is the real excitement. Anywho, I think the WRX to be second to that goddamn SRT-4.

Bah, I still say the STi would be a good challenge for the Cobra on the track. I'm too lazy to dig up any skidpad/slalom tests.

It seems as if the base model can reach quarter mile times of 14.3, the same as many WRXs, stock. If you get into the touring and fancier versions with LSDs, then I'm the WRX will go down. Up here though, I believe a good driver in both cars, the WRX would win. I bet the new 2005 Legacy 2.5GT would give even the higher models a run for their money.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
At a Delaware Valley Shelby Dodge Association event, I saw a brand new Z06 (still had paper tags on it) snap an axle trying to beat a GLH that probably cost less than $2000 to buy and put together. :trouble:
I plan on being that person at my local track. :)

Inflation has hit the turbo dodge scene, GLH-Turbos are in heavy demand these days. The last few that I have seen sold for 2k+. I just paid $2,300 for a gold '86 with full 3" exh and a MP Stg.3 computer.
 
Originally posted by ///M-Spec
That sounds odd to me. A 350Z should be a low 14 second car with traps in the 100-101 range. Lightly modded cars break 13s routinely. Maybe an automatic Vert is in the late 14s.


M

Stock 350z are hitting mid 13s now. 13.6 in a 03 350Z no modification, trap speed of around 103. My cousin told me this, he has the 350z. He said that when it first came out, those time were like 13.9-14.0s stock, but now they gotten use to the car and can get better times. Last I heard fastest 350z was 13.7. That changed though.

They arent slow at all. ;) Average driver should be able to hit low 14s.

There are alot of faster times out there but this is the car and driver one.

Car-Stats.com Report for 2003 Nissan 350Z Track
Obtained from C&D August, 2002
0-60: 5.4 Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 14.1
1/4 Speed: 101

Im sure if good drivers got used to the car, when they driven it alot and broken into it. They should get 13.6-13.8s.
 
With this reply, looks like I have another hot topic going.

I think the Impreza and Lancer rivalry hasn't really kicked off yet in America yet. Haven't really heard of any rivaling going on in the States. It's very popuar in Japan, but I wonder if some Americans will continue the rivalry of these two proven rally cars.
 
There was a rivalry between the Evolution and WRX as soon as the Evo hit the U.S market. Automotive magazines take that street/track rivalry and turn it into huge hype.

Look at the Evo/WRX forums, there is a lot of **** talking going on.
 
Don't compare the STi and the Cobra..they both are better than one another in their own right......The Evo Vs the WRX is another story Honestly..I think out of consistancy, the Evo tops the WRX....Not only that....The last WRX impreza with the EJ20's drivetrain was crap....and that video of the STi beating the z06...ooooo..2.5L turbocharged engine that isn't WRC legal, modified..w/ AWD....That's not much bragging rights..I mean it already run's 12's stock....

and would someone explain to me why they won't put the AWD drivetrain on the coupe 350Z along with the stronger version of the VQ35DE?...I mean come on...The coupe's deserve it.
 
1. Mustang vs. Camaro.

2. Corvette vs. Viper.

3. 350Z vs. RX-8.
 
Originally posted by Driftster

and would someone explain to me why they won't put the AWD drivetrain on the coupe 350Z along with the stronger version of the VQ35DE?...

Are you kidding? On the market right now, there are eight seperate 3.5L engines seeing 31 different applications (making it tied for the most-used size with 3.0L) and the 350Z has the most powerful one - and you want a stronger version?
 
Yes..I do want a STRONGER version....What is so perplexing about wanting a STRONGER version?
 
I'm more curious as to which vehicle uses this more powerful version of the VQ.
 
I don't mean diff vehicle I mean different Standard equip w/ the engine like in the Fairlady S model, which gets 297HP, of course it's due to bolt ons and what not, but better base, better long run...Not to mention you'll retain warrenty status without paying 60000 dollars for a Nismo logo..
and that extra HP along with say...An AWD system...that would kill..
 
Originally posted by Driftster
Yes..I do want a STRONGER version....What is so perplexing about wanting a STRONGER version?

287hp dont seem all that bad to me. Along with the current weight now, with the add in of an AWD system, It will weigh out both STi and Evo. The 350Z is heavy for a 2 seater compared to the STi which is a 4 door, 4 Seater, AWD automobile.

Nothings wrong for wanting a stronger verison, I wouldnt mind it at all, but I think some weight reduction would be nice. The interior of the 350Z is horrible. Beside that I dont see any big downfall to the Z.

As for the Cobra and STi, they have been compared before. Actually by a muscle car magazine of some sort if Im correct. They test everything from 0-60 to skid pad. They have some good comments for the Japanese import, but they also said they would much rather have the cobra, for personal reasons. Performance is about the same. Ill try to get the webpage for this test/comparison later on.
 
Originally posted by Driftster
Don't compare the STi and the Cobra..they both are better than one another in their own right......The Evo Vs the WRX is another story Honestly..I think out of consistancy, the Evo tops the WRX....Not only that....The last WRX impreza with the EJ20's drivetrain was crap....and that video of the STi beating the z06...ooooo..2.5L turbocharged engine that isn't WRC legal, modified..w/ AWD....That's not much bragging rights..I mean it already run's 12's stock....

Well, they already have compared the STi to the Cobra as I said in my previous post. The reason why is because both STi and Cobra are in the same class. Also along with Mitsubishi's Evolution. STi vs Evolution rivalry have alot of different opinions, there are no facts. They both have the same skid pad numbers and weigh the same. They both are equip with AWD. They are fast rally machines. Most of their tests, might go to the Evolution but I think that it just depends on the driver. STi vs Evolution is a driver's race.

Actually its not true that the Evolution is a way better track car than a STi (as some stated before, not you). People think that the STi handling sucks, which it dont. It has the usually AWD understeer but if driven correctly it will overcome it.

Explain to me why you think "The last WRX impreza with the EJ20's drivetrain was crap...." Im just curious, cant have a statement like that without any reason after it.


"and that video of the STi beating the z06...ooooo..2.5L turbocharged engine that isn't WRC legal, modified..w/ AWD....That's not much bragging rights..I mean it already run's 12's stock."

Thats not impressive? It seem impressive to me. 300hp, 300ft lb of torque vs 405hp, (sorry but dont know about the torque figure and basically too tired to look it up.) Also the US is the only one to get the 2.5L engine, the others including Japan gets the 2.0L. Not saying that ours is faster, because its not. STi are capable of high 12s stock yes.

STi 👍
Evo 👍
Cobra 👍
Z06 👍

:D

Rollazn 👎
 
Back