Greatest Street Car Rivalries

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 80 comments
  • 3,302 views
Why the hell does it matter if the STi 2.5 liter engine isn't WRC legal drag racing against the Z06? Or even on the track? Or for that matter, even on a rally course? Your not going to see a Z06 on a SCCA/WRC rally course, so where the hell does it even come into play? Also, I would bet there are a good amount of modded 2.0 liter WRXs that could take a Z06.

Between the Evo and STi, what consistancy does the Evo have over the STi?
 
The JDM Subaru Impreza STi is just as fast as our USDM, even though it is still a 2.0L. The STi Spec C which is still a 2.0L is quicker than our 2.5L, on drag strips, track, rally, almost every performance comparison you can think of. Why?! Its 300lbs lighter, and I think it has alittle more power.
 
Originally posted by Goomba
Between the Evo and STi, what consistancy does the Evo have over the STi?

Steering... balance... looks?


M
 
I don't think of those as consistancy though. Unless the steering/balance is consistantly better, year to year, but it seems silly to have that be called consistancy. I don't know, I'm tired.
 
c'mon, now, let's not get silly. WRX's and EVO's are good cars. i'd prefer the WRX out of the pair. but let's not get silly and say either car could take on a Z06. first of all, your comparing all wheel drive cars to a Rear wheel drive car. now if we had an AWD Z06! well, i crap my pants in extasy, then it would be untouchable in it's class. anyways, how about this rivalry?

CORVETTE vs. Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, (euro super cars)

i think it was Road and Track that did a comparison test of the Saleen S7 (crap! for the money), Mosler MT900 (BAD ASS!!!!), a Ferrrari, Lambo, Porsche GT3 and a 'Vette. oh and i think there was a new GT40 in there too. now, all other cars except the Z06, cost well over 100,000! and the Z06 cost like 54,000. and can you imagine that the Vette beat some of the other cars stats, or would com in very close! Why does it cost so much for you Europeans to build 'Super Cars'? I'm a Chevy guy (and Toyota when talking imports) but the GT40 was like the second cheapest car in the test, well maybe the Porsche GT3 was a little cheaper, but it was also beating or close seconding many of the Euro Super Cars!

Vette vs. Europe = Corvette is the best Performance car out there for the money!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Originally posted by Goomba
I don't think of those as consistancy though. Unless the steering/balance is consistantly better, year to year, but it seems silly to have that be called consistancy. I don't know, I'm tired.

Tired? It's what... 9 AM over there in Denver?

And I can only comment on the cars I've driven. US spec Evo VIII and STi. The Evo has better handling.. the STi has a vastly better engine and ride.


M
 
It was 10am, I just woke up. Shhhhh.....

But looks! C'mon! I mean, sure it doesn't look bad, but... pishaw. Well.... I guess. Shut up. At least Subaru is going in a better direction... :p
 
Originally posted by 87chevy
Why does it cost so much for you Europeans to build 'Super Cars'?

That's a fair question. I'll tackle it. Dollar for dollar, euro for euro, true imports are more expensive by reason of economics. Reader beware!! This turned out to be a lot longer than I intended.

First, there's the exchange rate and the cost of labor differences in the US vs. EU. It has become more and more expensive to build cars in Europe. This is why you see VW building cars in Mexico and BMW building cars in South Carolina.

Second, there's a difference in the market. A $40,000 C5 Coupe and a $70,000 911 Carrera are very similar in performance. But by virtue of the Vette being priced the way it is, Chevy sells a lot more of them. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd wager GM sold FIVE C5s for every 911. This means GM can take advantage of economies of scale. When you build more of something, each unit can cost you less.

This is precisely why Porsche needed to build a truck and an entry level sports car (Boxster). Of course, someone who pays 70 large for a sports car would expect advantages of the one that costs 40 large. And if you've ever driven a 911, you would notice there are several. You can start with build quality and end with resale value, but you should not forget the most important quality of driving experience. There is a reason why a 3 year old 996 still costs as much as a brand new Z06... and its not because Porsche buyers are gullible. (well.. maybe DOUG IS :p )

This doesn't mean I think Porsche doesn't need to provide more value for the dollar. In fact, I think the 996 is still over priced by 10-15 grand.

Which brings us to the third and perhaps most diffucult to grasp of my reasons. People in the market for a 911 would not likely cross shop a C5. Why? I believe its because of the same reason why people eat tenderloin over sirloin. Pound for pound, sirloin steak is a better value than tenderloin steak. So why do people still buy tenderloin? Because a) it tastes better and b) because they can afford to.


M
 
Originally posted by Goomba
It was 10am, I just woke up. Shhhhh.....

But looks! C'mon! I mean, sure it doesn't look bad, but... pishaw. Well.... I guess. Shut up. At least Subaru is going in a better direction... :p

Hey man, you know which of the two I'd prefer to drive home. Its kinda like the ugly chick who ends up being a great lay. :D


M
 
Yes..I do want a STRONGER version....What is so perplexing about wanting a STRONGER version?

It's already strong enough. :)

Originally posted by ///M-Spec
and its not because Porsche buyers are gullible. (well.. maybe DOUG IS :p )

There's only one quickest SUV of all time.
 
quickest SUV of all time..or Quickest MIDSIZED SUV of all time....Cause you know..I don't know about the Syclone or typhoon whichever one it was....but yeah.
 
Originally posted by Driftster
quickest SUV of all time..or Quickest MIDSIZED SUV of all time....Cause you know..I don't know about the Syclone or typhoon whichever one it was....but yeah.

Right - but my Cayenne Turbo is actually quicker than the Typhoon, which does 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds stock to my Cayenne's 5.5. It might seem like a slight difference, but if I use tiptronic, the manual-shifter of my automatic transmission, and did it right, I could beat a Typhoon with no problem any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Plus - the Cayenne does the quarter mile about a half-second faster at a significantly higher speed (103mph to 95mph).
 
What does the cayenne do in the 1/4 again because I know the typhoon can do the 1/4 in 13.3-4 ranges
 
Originally posted by Driftster
What does the cayenne do in the 1/4 again because I know the typhoon can do the 1/4 in 13.3-4 ranges

The Cayenne Turbo does the quarter-mile in 13.8sec @ 102MPH; the Typhoon does the quarter-mile in 14.1sec @ 95MPH.

If you can find me any sort of reputable site that says the Typhoon does the quarter in 13.3sec stock, I'll give you a pie.
 
you're right it doesn't run 13.3 the article switched from stock to modded without letting the reader know untill later on, but in 1991 car & driver said it was a 13 second car along with some truck mag...i'll get you the link to that in a sec.
 
Originally posted by Driftster
you're right it doesn't run 13.3 the article switched from stock to modded without letting the reader know untill later on, but in 1991 car & driver said it was a 13 second car along with some truck mag...i'll get you the link to that in a sec.

Right.

Motor Trend and supercars.net say the Cayenne Turbo's quarter mile is 13.8sec; Car & Driver says it's 13.5. Everyone agrees the Cayenne Turbo's 0-60 is 5.5sec.

Meanwhile, supercars.net says the Typhoon's 0-60 is 5.6sec and its quarter is 14.1. Even fan sites for the Typhoon don't put stock models below 13.8.

That makes the Cayenne Turbo quicker. Like I said.
 
I don't know if you'd say this, but would you consider these as new rivalries:

Navigator vs. Escalade

...or...

(the next Supra) vs. 350Z

?
 
I think 350Z's biggest rival is the S2000. Just look on each S2000 and 350Z board. Its like they are battling nonstop.
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
I don't know if you'd say this, but would you consider these as new rivalries:

Navigator vs. Escalade

Definitely - though in the current form, the Escalade is much better.
 
Once again opinionated...I'd rather have a Navigator, it looks better IMO..The new escalades arn't nearly as attractive as the first models with the horrible transmissions....The GMC-esque front end the escalades had was very nice...this new "crosseyed" look, just not to appealing to me.
 
Originally posted by Driftster
Once again opinionated...I'd rather have a Navigator, it looks better IMO..The new escalades arn't nearly as attractive as the first models with the horrible transmissions....The GMC-esque front end the escalades had was very nice...this new "crosseyed" look, just not to appealing to me.

Agreed - I too would rather own a Navigator, but the Escalade is the better vehicle - more stuff, more power, more room, and not much more expensive.
 
Back