GRID 2019

I'm excited to see GRID coming back. We never had a decent arcade game about track racing since Driveclub, and we need one.

I hope they'll make it similar to the first GRID, the best GRID IMO.
GRID 2 was a failure, Autosport was an attempt to return to the first game by polishing the second. But now is a good chance to re-launch the series.

I do like hardcore racing sims like Assetto Corsa or Project CARS, but would also like something more comfortable to play and biased to fun over realism. The original GRID was all about racing atmosphere (tire smoke, crashes and pieces of cars and barriers flying around) that realistic sims of that time (rFactor, Race 07, etc) weren't able to deliver.

I have tried Grid 2 and it is garbage. The only thing I like about it is the graphics.

Last edited:
I have tried out Grid 2 and it is garbage. The only thing I like about it is the graphics.

I agree with the bold part, the visuals hold up so well running on Ultra settings:
full

Grid 2 was definitely the worst one. I hope the new grid will be like first one. If it is it will compensate the lack of tracks.

Grid 2 was definitely the worst one. I hope the new grid will be like first one. If it is it will compensate the lack of tracks.
Grid 2 was pretty much 2 games, at launch it was terrible but then they improved the physics to make it just a inoffensive bad game.

Grid 2 was pretty much 2 games, at launch it was terrible but then they improved the physics to make it just a inoffensive bad game.

I don't recall Grid 2 ever getting a physics patch. And I bought it on release and played for a year afterwards.

Grid Autosport is technically the Grid 2 physics patch :lol:

Never played Grid games until very recently. Tried Grid 1 and I didn't like it, handling was too arcadish (IMO). But Autosport... what a fantastic game. Handling is superb, not at the level of Driveclub but close enough. Sound, great (Codemasters never fails). Graphics on ultra settings look very good. But the key for me is the AI and how the game is focused.

The AI is fast, overtakes with ease and it's fearsome; it's not respectful enough but I prefere it that way because the racing is just insane (in the good way). Driving in the middle of the lot is as fun as you expect it on real life. I haven't played many games where the racing is so alive (ocassional crashes, drivers fail)... One of the best AI I've ever tried for sure.

And about how the game is focused, it's just very well thought. It has a great motorsport feeling: car classes, fantastic racing engineer, the strategy regarding your partner is engaging... It's has features you expect on a sim while having the easiness of an arcade. Takes the best of both worlds, and I love that you can choose the class you want in the career mode or that there is a custom championship mode.

Really looking for it. BTW don't understand why Codemasters decided to drop the "TOCA" name (same with Colin McRae). The name was very strong and the Grid games were good enough to gain some reputation too. It's like if Polyphony decided to drop the Gran Turismo name; you are loosing big brand value.

Never played Grid games until very recently. Tried Grid 1 and I didn't like it, handling was too arcadish (IMO). But Autosport... what a fantastic game. Handling is superb, not at the level of Driveclub but close enough. Sound, great (Codemasters never fails). Graphics on ultra settings look very good. But the key for me is the AI and how the game is focused.

The AI is fast, overtakes with ease and it's fearsome; it's not respectful enough but I prefere it that way because the racing is just insane (in the good way). Driving in the middle of the lot is as fun as you expect it on real life. I haven't played many games where the racing is so alive (ocassional crashes, drivers fail)... One of the best AI I've ever tried for sure.

And about how the game is focused, it's just very well thought. It has a great motorsport feeling: car classes, fantastic racing engineer, the strategy regarding your partner is engaging... It's has features you expect on a sim while having the easiness of an arcade. Takes the best of both worlds, and I love that you can choose the class you want in the career mode or that there is a custom championship mode.

Really looking for it. BTW don't understand why Codemasters decided to drop the "TOCA" name (same with Colin McRae). The name was very strong and the Grid games were good enough to gain some reputation too. It's like if Polyphony decided to drop the Gran Turismo name; you are loosing big brand value.

Grid Autosport is one of my favourite racing games, it feels so alive :) I've never understood why it wasn't well received, I think it's fantastic.

I read somewhere that after Colin died his family asked CM to respectively drop his name from subsequent games, not sure if it's true but if it is then fair enough I guess.

@SlimCharles @MrCrynox I see GA in an opposing light. The game itself was fine, but there were many things that threw me out of the experience so often engaging in it was impossible. I saw it as bland. Solid, but bland. The AI I raced against were bog-standard bots on determined lines and at determined speeds, and too many times I found myself losing focus due to...I don't even recall anymore. I also HATED the engineer and muted him before I'd finished the first race. Maybe it got better hours in, but I couldn't make it more than one. That said most of the people who like the game are far better than I seem to be anyway so maybe it's just because I'm incompetent.

As for dropping the TOCA thing, I'd wager a combination of licensing cost, brand recognition, and how diverse the cars had already become when TOCA Race Driver released in the first place.

@BKGlover it sounds so different to the GAS that I know, I'm curious what difficulty level were you playing on ?

The AI I remember constantly changed lines, jostling for position, fighting itself much as you to gain & defend. If you did get out front the ravenwest pair wouldn't leave you alone, always making lunges & putting you under pressure. Sometimes a bit unfair but definately intense.

Perhaps it's worth another go ?

GRID 2 was free on Steam so I downloaded it. Tried a for while and I have never played a racing game that bad as Grid 2 in my life. There is no way in hell that this game stays on my SDD. I'm going to remove it immediately.

EDIT: removed.

Last edited:
@SlimCharles @MrCrynox I see GA in an opposing light. The game itself was fine, but there were many things that threw me out of the experience so often engaging in it was impossible. I saw it as bland. Solid, but bland. The AI I raced against were bog-standard bots on determined lines and at determined speeds, and too many times I found myself losing focus due to...I don't even recall anymore. I also HATED the engineer and muted him before I'd finished the first race. Maybe it got better hours in, but I couldn't make it more than one. That said most of the people who like the game are far better than I seem to be anyway so maybe it's just because I'm incompetent.

As for dropping the TOCA thing, I'd wager a combination of licensing cost, brand recognition, and how diverse the cars had already become when TOCA Race Driver released in the first place.

It's probably just a thing of personal taste. Many people don't like Gran Turismo AI while I think it's fantastic. And on the contrary, others enjoy Driveclub AI while I think it's the worst thing since the nazi Germany.

Always been a huge fan of the grid series, although every game has had its issues
RD: G Comes from before Anisotropic Filtering and MSAA was a thing, and also had that hideous bloom effect that was on every videogame ever. It also had that crappy Deus Ex Yellowish-sepia piss filter
G2: We don’t talk about Grid 2. Focused far too much on Street Racing, an impossible to understand story and hilariously over exaggerated physics
GAS: Probably the best of all of them, although the lack of pit stops made endurance races pretty much pointless, and the graphics received a noticeable downgrade from G2
Really, codemasters needs to try using InstaLOD. Great software that allows you to create beautiful looking games without having to spend weeks optimising everything, just click a button and it does all the hard work for you. Produces better results than trying to do it yourself to a very strict timeframe

@BKGlover it sounds so different to the GAS that I know, I'm curious what difficulty level were you playing on ?

The AI I remember constantly changed lines, jostling for position, fighting itself much as you to gain & defend. If you did get out front the ravenwest pair wouldn't leave you alone, always making lunges & putting you under pressure. Sometimes a bit unfair but definately intense.

Perhaps it's worth another go ?
Sorry for the delay.

IIRC there were 4-5 difficulty settings, and I fell in between whatever 2 and 3 were. My biggest issue with it is that each difficulty was blatantly sectioned from each other you could almost hear the game changing it's orders. TC at Istanbul was my baseline, and while I was within a couple of seconds of myself, in a 5 lap race on setting 2 would be a walk, but setting 3 was a war...for 15th. Also having played GRID Prime enough times to consider having a backup copy, it too had some of those attributes, so I expect them. Constantly being used as a pinball by the AI will dull those quickly. Add the botched "upgrades" and irritation give way to rage.

The biggest damning of Autosport was that I felt nothing for it. I will watch drunks on big wheels if it's a good race, and even GRID 2 via online had my attention. My strongest thought about it is straight up apathy.

Back