GRID Preview: Fast and Fun Thrills Aplenty in Franchise Reboot

It's funny you mentioned good drift. I remember watching slap train video and he had serious problems catching car.

Only thing I'm wondering about is the comments about the controller feel. Jimmy Broadbent also mentioned that he could more easily feel when a car will slide with wheel than controller where I think he said it was kind of a guess. I want this as a couch racer and hence want it on my xbox one and hence don't want to mess with a wheel for this (got plenty of other actual sims for that). Maybe the key is just leaving TC on when using the controller? I'll probably pick it up on Xbox regardless since don't really want to be playing it while sitting in my racing rig or at a desk.

It's funny you mentioned good drift. I remember watching slap train video and he had serious problems catching car.

Only thing I'm wondering about is the comments about the controller feel. Jimmy Broadbent also mentioned that he could more easily feel when a car will slide with wheel than controller where I think he said it was kind of a guess. I want this as a couch racer and hence want it on my xbox one and hence don't want to mess with a wheel for this (got plenty of other actual sims for that). Maybe the key is just leaving TC on when using the controller? I'll probably pick it up on Xbox regardless since don't really want to be playing it while sitting in my racing rig or at a desk.
The difficult handling with a pad concerns me too, but I have a feeling it will be ok with traction control on to some degree. Maybe there will be some refinement made to the controller feedback though in a day 1 patch too. Maybe not, let's see.

One gripe that I have against this game that I notice is that it does not show cars hp/tq or weight of a car, all i see is a power/ weight bar. I know it's not game breaking but i feel like that could have been included for a roster as small as this, I mean it would be nice to know how much power the tuner cars put out etc...

One gripe that I have against this game that I notice is that it does not show cars hp/tq or weight of a car, all i see is a power/ weight bar. I know it's not game breaking but i feel like that could have been included for a roster as small as this, I mean it would be nice to know how much power the tuner cars put out etc...
Not to mention that its rather redundant considering the cars on their respective classes should've been balanced/BoP anyway.

Anyway, this game has possibly the best car list of any racing games thats not GT and Forza, I give you that.

... CSL Elite with the full game very soon.

I spend a bit of time with the JEDI F1000 open-wheeler and it’s

One unexpected side of the handling package in GRID is how beautifully it drifts. I genuinely ...

And it's ...... what?!?
Do we have to use the force to find out?!

Definitely want this but not sure if to just go for standard version then pick up deluxe content if and when I want it discounted down the line.

Being a more casual appeal game I can't imagine them expecting people to bother as much beyond the standard version. Plus games like WRC8 are showing their DLC model to be a bit lacking for value.

It has a nice car list and if it is better than 2 or Autosport (which were pretty bad) I maybe buy this. (After reading/watching more reviews of course)

Umm PC2's car list is roughly the same as Grid's, but with even more stuff added onto it!

Still looking forward to Grid next week (on my birthday as well).
That. But you can't deny that this is the most comprehensive (racing) car lists for a racing and GRID game.

Unfortunately I heard that the track count instead has been cut from Autosport. But considering the tracks will be free I can count on it being more expandable in the future.

And even if the cars being paid DLC I am confident that the current car list we have today meant that it will not contain any cars from past GRID which meant far better DLC model than DR2.0.

From what I've seen so far from preview videos, my biggest gripes are that quite cheap-looking UI elements (right down to the Windows 8-esque main menu) and that Shadow the Hedgehog isn't here to reprise the role as Crew Chief.

That being said, I'm happy that new Grid sequel is coming out at all.

I fired up my old copy of Grid Autosport to remind myself what the series was like. The rubber-banding AI was horrible. It's disappointing that the reviewer didn't mention this aspect of the AI. Think I'll wait for the first user reviews.

That. But you can't deny that this is the most comprehensive (racing) car lists for a racing and GRID game.

For a Grid game yes, for a racing game full stop, nope. It's a subjective matter, but for me PC2 still takes that title.

Unfortunately I heard that the track count instead has been cut from Autosport. But considering the tracks will be free I can count on it being more expandable in the future.

And even if the cars being paid DLC I am confident that the current car list we have today meant that it will not contain any cars from past GRID which meant far better DLC model than DR2.0.
Any DLC model would be better than DR 2.0!

:D

The game seems right up my alley. Whilst I've never played a grid game before, I've been an avid fan of Driveclub, Project Gotham Racing, and the NFS Hot Pursuit sub-series; the pure arcade, action filled, no compromises racing experience. And this looks to be exactly that, but with more of a focus on circuit racing over street racing.

The car list is the only thing I'm not quite sure about. The specific cars chosen for the game are all brilliant, with less than half a dozen that I can't see myself using on a frequent basis. The dilemma for me is the size of the roster in general. Sure, 70 some cars isn't a bad number, but considering the large number of classifications, and the fact that the largest category (muscle) only has 6 cars, I worry about longevity.
Yet on the flip side, I've always found that racing games with hundreds of cars end up making the cars less meaningful in general, and inevitably cause me to accidently overlook or not use certain vehicles as much as I'd like. A more restricted list, though lacking certain cars that I and others would want, will inevitably make the player better appreciate what's there.

I don't know, and probably won't know until a few months after I've completed the career.

https://www.igcd.net/game.php?id=1206886

I wish this new Grid had GT1, LMP1, Lmp2 along with Group C's along with the Nissan R390 GT1.

But the car list is still top notch.

grid2.JPG

This game's post-release content plan just got more interesting.

This. Any racing game that only shows performance bars instead of real numbers immediately is a red flag in my book. There is no way you can distill something as complicated as car performance into a few bars of selected performance stats. And compared to previous GRID games, they've even cut it down to only 2 bars! Oh boy.

Matter of fact, in GRID Autosport, the performance bars mean nothing because it doesn't account the car's handling traits. The Group 2 McLaren F1 GTR is a good example of this. From looking at the bars it's lower in every category than the other 2 cars (Super GT GT-R and HSV), but it handles so much better it practically curbstomps. The only way to really know which car is better is just to try it out yourself.

I was just thinking, "I've never played a GRID game", when I suddenly realized that GRID 2 was an Xbox Games with Gold freebie a while back.

I gave it a spin last night and had fun - which is now getting me in a positive mood for the new game.

In the main I tend to play a more serious racing games such as Assetto Corsa, ACC and iRacing, however looking forward to giving this a blast. Although the fore mentioned games are great, they do take racing more seriously. I remember having great fun playing Project Gotham Racing and hoping this title can emulate that type of fun! :)

Think I may have missed a couple of these liveries 👍

If there is one that looks like the JPS M3, that'll be sweet!

Back