GRID 2019

On paper, there is no getting away from the fact the track count is very sparse. However, Codemasters do put in a lot of work into making the tracks feel more alive, far more so than pretty much any other closed-circuit accessible simulator (though I would say Need For Speed SHIFT is roughly on the same level). If the new game is anything like its predecessors, you have sounds bouncing off nearby objects and circuits with cheering crowds which adds a significant amount of immersion.

The nemesis feature looks interesting, is there going to be an achievement for making the entire grid want to take you out? :D

EDIT: Who came up with the FINAL LAP pop-up? That's hilarious! :lol:

Last edited:
Just some quick track count number-crunching with current-gen racers. May be off by one or two, but here goes for a comparison:

• GT Sport: 26 + variants (some of which are totally separate tracks that only share the start/finish straight)
  • Assetto Corsa: 19 + variants
  • Project CARS 2: 46 + variants
  • Forza 7: 32 + variants
  • Driveclub: 41 + variants
  • GRID: 12 + variants
That is pathetic. Codies has really gone downhill since the TOCA and McRae days.

I watched the gameplay basically like Grid 1 which is good.

Content wise it is pretty pathetic.

I would suggest codemasters scrapping road or streets cars and go with racecars with multiple classes.

Also bring back endurance and Lemans.

Good thing about Grid 1 how it had licenced series like the Lemans series.

paycheck-smiley-emoticon.gif

I have a feeling that this (see above) is the only thing Codemasters care about.

I cannot get over how danish-person-speaking-english-and-putting-absolutely-no-effort-into-it-what-so-ever your radio comms person sounds like. And when I say "I cannot get over", I mean "I hope to all that is holy that this is still W.I.P. because a danish accent as thicc as that is going to make everyone want to crash just to end it". Just listen to the enthusiasm (read: monotony) in that voice!

Also, Patrick Callaghan Jr. I mean, Nathan McKane and Rick Scott were clever because they had different first- and/or surnames, but this? This is just Ghost-NFS-games levels of uninspired throwbacks to previous, better games.

Well thats something worthy looking forward to. (On a completely unrelated note) For 🤬 sake even GRID includes the C7.R but GT Sport dosen't 🤬 .

Watching that IGN video:

- Man, San Fran has gotten a lot of mileage in the GRID series. Isn't the route in the video the same as in, you know, the first game...? I'd have to check, but I'm like 90% certain that it is.

- I can already tell the Mustang Mach 1 Twister Special from GRID 2, and the AAR 'Cuda and Firebird from GRID 1 are being reused again, alongside the Camaro SSX from DiRT 3 mentioned from the beginning. Man, where have I seen this before?

- At least Shanghai looks nice at night.

If this is one of the first gameplays of this, yeah, then my skepticism and my hesitance on buying this game is pretty much cemented.

racing games are always accused of recycling content. Happend to GTS, FM and the latest example is GRID.

I mean, it's certainly not to the egregious level that Codemasters has done with regards to both DiRT Rally 2.0, and now GRID 2019.

Last edited:
Looks like GRID 2019 is a great example of extreme lazy game development... Copy and paste 50% of an old game and sell the other 50% copy pasta content as DLC...

Again, this is the new Codemasters, DiRT Rally 2.0 should have been the warning sign people took seriously that this is a company that cares little for any sort of fan good will.

This game will come up, predictably bomb, be lost to the purgatory of a console generation shift, and maybe then people will stop giving chances to Codemasters.

Youre right... I had a lot fun over the last 10 years with CM games and i supported the company with my $$$... But now this is all over... I do not support such behavior and thx CM i now know EXACTLY from where i will get GRID 2019 ;P

Given that Fernando Alonso is mentioned in the game, hopefully there will be LMP1 cars. But wait, he drove a Toyota TS050 so there might be a problem given Toyota's licensing crisis in games...
There is no problem with race cars only road cars .

Youre right... I had a lot fun over the last 10 years with CM games and i supported the company with my $$$... But now this is all over... I do not support such behavior and thx CM i now know EXACTLY from where i will get GRID 2019 ;P

The ultimate rub is that even with all their scummy behavior, Codemasters games are competently made to the point where I'd at least feel safe plunking down $80 CAD for their games, not like some others who's games are barely worth that price tag (looking at you, Milestone...!)

It's everything else about the company that pisses me off. It's the continued insistence on using that dinosaur of an EGO engine when they could have easily replaced it with something more modern (And they even did, if killing Evolution and taking their weather system for useage in the F1 games is any indication) It's the continued scummy tactics of the vast majority of post launch content being stuff taken out of the first game and sold again as new that pails in comparison to really anything Forza or GT has done. And it's the lack of support after a set period, as DiRT 4 and likely Rally 2.0 has shown.

Considering the fact that people have been bringing up this stuff with regards to Codemasters going back to DiRT Rally 2.0 being announced, and have essentially been regarded as conspiracy theorists, really makes this out to be a delicious sense of schadenfreude that people are wising up.

I beg to differ. DiRT 4 was the warning sign.

Sure, but I mean, no matter what, DiRT Rally 2.0's announcement should have been the point where people realized the grift was in full swing.

We know how "New Codemasters" handles DLC content in DR2.0... Do you really think they will not do the same with GRID ? :D

Old cut content no new to the franchise stuff...

I just hope it's more similar to the first grid tbh

This.

The Mustang/RSR footage looks in line with what I remember from OG Grid, with a '19 coat of paint. Hope there is still tight mountain pass touge, the race team element and all the other previous thrills. Looking forward to seeing all the weather and TOD effects.

I'm jumping the gun a bit, but considering this does indeed look to be more of the same, I'm hoping they're able to devote some man hours to including a VR mode. It's a reach, but Grid thrills in VR would be amazing. Not getting my hopes up, but the day psvr support is announced, is the day I put my preorder in.

Speaking of PSVR racers and CM, any word on Dirt Rally 2.0 psvr support?

We know how "New Codemasters" handles DLC content in DR2.0... Do you really think they will not do the same with GRID ? :D

There's a difference between thinking it could happen, and operating under the assumption it will. Sort of like thinking Hamilton will win yet another season and congratulating him for winning the 2019 title today.

Old cut content no new to the franchise stuff...

Well, there is new content in DR2's post-launch plan already...

There's also a difference between cutting content from a previous installment on the same gen versus a generation previous. Considering how late this is arriving this gen, it's also possible Codemasters is looking at getting these assets ready for the next one too.

- Man, San Fran has gotten a lot of mileage in the GRID series. Isn't the route in the video the same as in, you know, the first game...? I'd have to check, but I'm like 90% certain that it is.
It’s the exact same as the Route you run in Race Driver GRID’s first Race in the Viper I think

I’ve always loved Codemasters games, especially the ToCa Race Driver and Colin McRae/DIRT games but lately it’s showing they’re just recycling content with little variation and new graphics, something I feel really started with GRID 2 and Autosport.

Unless this turns out to be really very good on release (highly doubtful) I’ll prbably be skipping this and any other CM titles that aren’t F1

And having the 911 RSR shown in the first piece of gameplay they show AND having it as a pre order bonus is just BS.

Why call this a reboot and not Grid 3? Looks just like the first two games. Guess this will be another casual offering, not really my cup of tea i'm affraid, but i'm sure there will be happy fans.

Why call this a reboot and not Grid 3? Looks just like the first two games.

You... Kinda answered your own question there? :embarrassed:

Codemasters have basically adapted the GRID formula for the current generation of consoles and gaming trends (i.e. integration of eSports); it doesn't appear to bring any drastic upgrades to the formula, hence why it is a reboot rather than a sequel.

Back