GRID Review: A Fun Enough Arcade Racer, But Too Lean

I'm happy that I came into this with a $50 Best Buy gift card sitting unused from a past birthday.

I'm only spending $10 of my own money, so I'm looking forward to see how the game evolves.

Good review. At this stage the game's probably a solid 7 or maybe an 8 out of 10. It's all about the feel and thrill of the racing itself and I've heard it delivers in that sense. How the online aspect should improve interests me as much as anything else for this series as opposed to the initial lack of tracks. Mainly because we now know the tracks will be free with the vanilla version which is surely a blessing. Missing out on cars or extra single player content available until there's a sale doesn't bother me as much the initial range of cars at least is interesting enough. Good to see GRID back and it will only get better from here. Being great with a wheel yet fine for pals w/out one who like to race with me is also a massive bonus. It's a game for a quick blast or thrill rather than something to sink hours into.

Onrush arguably missed the mark as most still feel arcade racing still benefits from having a racing element at its core rather than just being about ramming each other or anything else.

Spend £30-£35 on GRID when its discounted and you won't feel too short changed. £40-£50 now if you're feeling generous.

Last edited:
Yeah the weak track list at launch was a major red flag. Might hold off until its on sale on after there's been a few updates.

Well I needed this kind of racer on PS4 because of the lack of arcade racers there. I like Forza but I don't have a Xbox I like GT but not always I want such a serious session so finally there is Grid.

From what I played, it feels a bit empty indeed its fun to play it sounds awesome and controlles are okay. I hope some DLC and Updates makes the game better and bigger....

Since I have no choice Grid it is for now, damn I miss those Driveclub days so bad.........

I think that's a fair enough review, but the price of the game is way out of line for the lack of content. For example in my territory you can pick up the base versions WRC8 and Wreckfest, for just slightly over the cost of GRID Ultimate.

So IMO GRID offers very poor value for money.

I feel like this game would probably suffer from Ace Combat 7 syndrome where the base gameplay is incredible but the game has barely anything in it. That lack of content would then lead me to shelve the game and never come back to it within a month or two.

This just about confirms, I think, that this game does not offer much of anything that isn't already present in another game elsewhere. The only really unique cars I can think of here that are present are the 90s BTCCs and the DPis, but those (plus the Evo Time Attacks, I suppose) aren't enough to justify splashing out on this one.

Definitely holding off buying this until more tracks and a discounted price as there just isn't enough there to justify the price for me. Any idea how often new tracks are going to be added?

Definitely holding off buying this until more tracks and a discounted price as there just isn't enough there to justify the price for me. Any idea how often new tracks are going to be added?

Currently the only things confirmed are 12 new cars and 99 chase the rabbit career events for ultimate purchasers only.

Codemasters have promised further tracks, but so far there's no timeframe that I'm aware of, nor confirmation of which tracks and how many.

I still think that this is just a way to get easy money. No innovations of any sort, really basic career, 13 (!!!) tracks and 70 cars of which the invitational and GT are really worth it in my view, for 60€? No way I'm buying this with the inevitable season pass which will give me anyway half of what this game should have been in my view. What's the difference with Autosport (except for cars, tracks and graphics of course, because that's the standard)?

I still think that this is just a way to get easy money. No innovations of any sort, really basic career, 13 (!!!) tracks and 70 cars of which the invitational and GT are really worth it in my view, for 60€? No way I'm buying this with the inevitable season pass which will give me anyway half of what this game should have been in my view. What's the difference with Autosport (except for cars, tracks and graphics of course, because that's the standard)?

What's the difference with Autosport? The physics and that is the most important thing about any racing game. With a wheel it is a blast to play. I love I can create an online championship and fill the empty spots with AI.

It is fair to say that there are 13 locations and not tracks. I really dont feel there is not enough content. It will take you a long time to master all of the tracks.

Every track is at night and with rain and several times of day.

Also all future tracks are free for everybody. You pay only for some future cars and more career. I really have a blast with the game and that is the most important thing to me. A game can have 60 tracks but if the physics are bad it is worthless.

Last edited:
Great review! But I'm left with questions. Why do Codies' titles keep getting praise for their sounds and sound design, yet rated 4/5? In this case a few issues were named, but I noticed this on the Dirt Rally 2 and F1 2019 reviews too, where sounds got solid praise. I haven't played this yet, but Grid Autosport's sounds were amazing (as with most CM titles), they just got every car right. That gave the game's smaller car list much longer life, as every car in every discipline was fun to try out and use for a while. So it uplifted the entire game imo and would deserve a max rating.

Coming from Grid Autosport, some details about cockpit view would be nice. Is it properly implemented this time, with working screens and dials? I've watched a few gameplay videos but none actually switched to show it. I only saw it for a split second in some trailer.

What about photomode? Something I always craved for in Grid, you had many cool car choices and pretty cities and race tracks but only preset replay cameras. Did any of the Driveclub talent carry over as it did to the F1 games?

What about customization? Grid Autosport dialled it back from 2, only having it in the Racenet online modes, locking cars and upgrades behind scarce currency and XP and only allowing you to drive your custom cars online. That sucked as you only had one stock colour and a few preset liveries from career teams to pick in offline quick races (career gave no choices), while the online garage had some very nice (unbranded) rims and a free colour picker (a rarity in PS3 racing games :D). From reading I figured it's all gone, but then you mentioned liveries to unlock.
Ed: Not to forget the basic livery editor that let you fit sponsors, which gave you tiny goals and bonuses for meeting them. That was cool!

@SlipZtrEm

Last edited:
Was Grid: Autosport for the Switch also reviewed by GTPlanet? I think I will pick this up when the game is really cheap, I'm still loving Wreakfest tbh, but I loved all TOCA games so will wait and see if the codies support the title with DLC etc.

What's the difference with Autosport? The physics and that is the most important thing about any racing game. With a wheel it is a blast to play. I love I can create an online championship and fill the empty spots with AI.

It is fair to say that there are 13 locations and not tracks. I really dont feel there is not enough content. It will take you a long time to master all of the tracks.

Every track is at night and with rain and several times of day.

Also all future tracks are free for everybody. You pay only for some future cars and more career. I really have a blast with the game and that is the most important thing to me. A game can have 60 tracks but if the physics are bad it is worthless.

Also worth adding with the tracks, there’s 60 layouts and some of these are vastly different. Okutamas normal circuit is totally different to the touge/hill climb track despite being the same location. Silverstone has both the modern and the pre 2009 versions as well as reverse versions which are totally different. Not enough has been said about the actual variation within each location. I’m 20 odd events into career mode and still haven’t been to all 13 locations so I can safely say that, for me, it doesn’t feel repetitive so far.

Love the car lists and track lists you've saw so far and don't mind about the arcade physics? Buy.

Expecting good DLC release, tracks and cars? Wait.

“It understands the inherit joy the automobile can provide”

I think you mean ‘inherent’. Spell check may have tripped this up. :)

.Coming from Grid Autosport, some details about cockpit view would be nice. Is it properly implemented this time, with working screens and dials? I've watched a few gameplay videos but none actually switched to show it. I only saw it for a split second in some trailer.

Cars with Physical Dials or LCD displays work fine, but I’ve noticed that the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR’s display doesn’t work, and the Ferrari 488 GT3 has a generic display on the dashboard

Drift mode?
Touge mode?
and most importantly... demolition derby mode?

24hr day/night Event?

This was all in the first one.

no no and no. But as it’s more a sequel/reboot of Autosport the main thing it’s missing from that game is drifting.

Back