Grifting (My Racing Style)

• Thread starter Viper424
  • 36 comments
As far as I have seen I am the only one who has come up with this idea. Grifting a mix of drift racing and grip racing. Thus resulting in a racing plan that allows smaller more underpowered vehicles to beat lightweight monsters. I have proven this by taking my 86ss at 243hp 800kg against the Peugeot 205 evo 2 at 460hp 815kg. It was the most difficult race I have ever been into and it took all my focus, but in the end my "grifting" style prevailed. This style started as theory when I was using a "full" drift technique against high powered cars. It worked in sharp turns and turns where only a drift comes in handy. When one needs to carry more speed into a turn than one using a grip technique for example. Grip racing results in a constant battle with understeer and the fear of losing control.
As I said it started as theory but it has proven not only in underpower cars to defeat more powerful ones but it makes my GTR34 a challenge for GT500 cars at only 380hp!

I will provied pics once I have reformatted them to comply with the forum's limits on picture size.

Grifting? it seems that Sheron, me and a few others are known of this style. Though people know that Sheron is the best at this but who knows, I want to see this into a development with a few videos instead of pictures

This is basically how I drive all my cars. Its similar to what one must do to use one handed steering in a race, which is the style I aim for to reduce steering inputs and wheel angle.

I use in AWDs quite a bit for some corners - I find its the only way I can really turn the damn things at times. Not the best example of my driving, but it was fairly quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxs6wHMxHJQ

Still full grip for me. Need to conserve the tires or you'll lose traction for accelerating late into the race. But yeah, there are already members known for that style. Some of them go way back in GT3.

This is basically how I drive all my cars. Its similar to what one must do to use one handed steering in a race, which is the style I aim for to reduce steering inputs and wheel angle.

I use in AWDs quite a bit for some corners - I find its the only way I can really turn the damn things at times. Not the best example of my driving, but it was fairly quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxs6wHMxHJQ

Dude, How'd you make that first turn going 170!?!?!?!

I've "grifted" before, it's just basic speed-sense, knowing which corners to drift and which to grip, if ya'll allow an Initial D reference, to Usui's Impact Blue((Sileighty)) which used to drift or grip, depending on the angle and speed.

Grifting, quite a clever term.
Back in the GT3 craze someone named it speed drifting and there was a whole debate thread which is faster. It got pretty rough, haha

It's obviously faster if you "grift" since some corners with certain angles are faster to be gripped than drifted, which would actually lose time... Senseless to think otherwise.

Grifting.... I like that word :lol:

I love to race with N tyres. "Grifting" is the key to prevent understeer (damn GT4 physics :banghead: ). Plus, it's way funnier than grip mode.

i've been "grifting" ever since i saw the final showdown between Takumi and the s2000. When it comes to using 1 hand steering it does make a remarkable improvement since you have to focus alot more. The great thing about 1 hand steering is it really teaches you to take the perfect line to come out with good acceleration since you can't make a full 360 on the steering wheel.

i've been "grifting" ever since i saw the final showdown between Takumi and the s2000. When it comes to using 1 hand steering it does make a remarkable improvement since you have to focus alot more. The great thing about 1 hand steering is it really teaches you to take the perfect line to come out with good acceleration since you can't make a full 360 on the steering wheel.

I think one hand steer just limits your inputs so you figure out how little you have to move the wheel to turn...BUt like the gumtape death match...drift with one hand steer is difficult...neone want a gumtape death match on xlink?lol

since when do you EVER have to make a full 360 turn on the dfp to take a corner minus all of costa, citta, and cote?

I think one hand steer just limits your inputs so you figure out how little you have to move the wheel to turn...BUt like the gumtape death match...drift with one hand steer is difficult...neone want a gumtape death match on xlink?lol

monday 8pm my time, be there or be square.(haha seriously)

I recently began using this style as well; it really is a necesity for muscle cars that understeer unstoppably. Though I see two problems: Tire wear puts me into a wall invariably at the very last corner :ouch: and it may only work best in S tires. Does it?

It is not a new style, neither is it something that you all just came up with overnight. Using oversteer to one's advantage in a car that cannot take corners well without some wheelspin is an old, old tactic and was done by drivers years before you were all born.

Opposite lock steering to handle cars that tend towards oversteer is a tactic as old as the invention of the -steering wheel-.

Anyone who doesn't rely on a cartoon to teach them skills about driving knows this.

One of my Miatas is ideally set up for this type of thing. Even though it's on supersofts, it will oversteer like a champ if you lift off ... it rotates beautifully especially on low speed corners.

I know that's km/h, that's stil fast for a hairpin....

Practice? I place fairly well in the WRS, which is a good place to develop fast driving skills. Also note I was braking when I started the corner, and cut quite a bit more speed with the entry drift.

Boundary Layer and I worked on setting up a race series back in GT3 that used simulation and sports tires with street cars... it was quite interesting in that slight oversteer was a common way to drive in the cars with the PWR permitted...

I'm trying to get ahold of a capture card as well, so I can capture some of my racing/drifting and post it at some point. But alas, I am cheap and over worked :P

It is not a new style, neither is it something that you all just came up with overnight. Using oversteer to one's advantage in a car that cannot take corners well without some wheelspin is an old, old tactic and was done by drivers years before you were all born.

Opposite lock steering to handle cars that tend towards oversteer is a tactic as old as the invention of the -steering wheel-.

Anyone who doesn't rely on a cartoon to teach them skills about driving knows this.
As for a video game but who knows.

Like most everyone has pointed out on this thread, it's nothing new, and we can see your point, but forgive me for this....

That's too much of an exaggeration. I don't think people in Packard cars in 1899 would have had the slightest notion of Opposite lock let alone use it as a tactic to steer through corners... :D

That would've been hella funny.

Oh, ive never heard of it called oppostie lock, "grifting" is what i do in my high powered GTR34s, it works well, and i dont let off the gas much.

Back