Grifting (My Racing Style)

• Thread starter Viper424
  • 36 comments
Wow today, i treid using staggering racing tires on the WRX STI '02 as a way to drift and gain a lot of speed. Man Either i havent played in a wihle or that's jsut REALLY hard. So much grip, yet staggering tries allow drifting. I am using thee same setup as Boundary Layer in his Lancer Evo VIII. I have also tried soem of his techniques, man its so dificult. I thought using staggering race tirs would be like the excellent soloution to really good speed drifting, becuase the grip on the tires will push the car forward, as well the staggering allowing slide. Anyone try this?

I was used to "grift" very much in GT2, and still some in GT3. The races were between, the grip, and the speed drift. Speed drift is almost the oppose to Drift. Drift is great angles, low speed. Speed drift is low angles and great speed. The Drift King did a Drift attack (like a time attack, but with speed drift) in the "Drift Bibble" with a S14.

Speed drift is like grip, but with a little drift. I was used to have some videos of speed drift, however... I deleted them.

You call Grift a drive mode where you drift and grip. For me, by the name, I call it a technique. You enter a curve with drifting to help you hitting the apex, but then you must skip to grip at the apex, and exit the curve with grip, where you can apply all your power.

By the way a Trico Pro, I was used to speed drift in gt2 with a trueno with 130 HP, with Soft tyres at SSR5, and Rome Night. It was pretty cool.

In GT3, was a Trueno Shigeno version with 260 HP with super soft tyres. Altezzas with 450 HP, was my "breakfast" with that Trueno. lol

In GT4 I was drifting (just a day of pratice) with a Skyline, 500 HP, in normal tyres. Need to concentrate on useing the sensitive buttons of the ps2 Pad. Too much wheelspin.

In my opinion, to "really" speed drift, you need to be racing giveing all that you got. I found myself beating a Ford GT with a Trueno in GT2. lol

I like the term "grifting" as well. I think that is a clever term to describe what I do (and probably many of us do). I've always tended to grip most of the time, but then use drift on specific corners (which corners also depend on the car).

I recently began using this style as well; it really is a necesity for muscle cars that understeer unstoppably. Though I see two problems: Tire wear puts me into a wall invariably at the very last corner :ouch: and it may only work best in S tires. Does it?

I use purposeful on-throttle oversteer (drift / powerslide) on racing tires a lot. For example, taking the Zonda around Seattle, there are a few really tight corners where I'll get into the turn fast and then just stomp the accelerator to the floor for about 1/2 a second to flip the rear around. The amount of counter steer will depend on the power and type of car. No, this isn't a long graceful (and usually slow) exhibition drift, but it sure can help get around a few of those corners fast and in a fun way.

You should be able to break the rears loose on many of the old understeering muscle cars and force that understeer to become oversteer, even on racing tires.

no you're not the only one mostly everyone do that thats how i race when im on nurburing in a fr machine otherwise what you talking about is a normal racing technique that touge racers do to get through turns that are a lil more difficult

I just do Drift during races, because it happens. Usually, I only use grip when I don't need to brake. So, mostly of the time, every time I brake, I drift. During races, the faster I need to go, the more I will go into a true "speed drift". I will try to post some video later with "Grift" and "Speed Drift" with the same car to see what happens.

Here is a video I saw some years with speed drift (If I am not mistaken):

http://files.filefront.com/Sheron_Truenowmv/;5971903;/fileinfo.html
(Credits to Sheron)

But... during "grift", you use low or high drift angle?

Latest Posts

Back