Grindelwald

Grindelwald Version 3.6

• Thread starter BarneyA
  • 30 comments
Not really drivable due to blind, crested jumps in the chicanes a little way into the circuit. You've built this on the side of a mountain. Perhaps you can find a less extreme hillside to use, instead?

The orientation makes good use of the available terrain. It's just far too steep in this version. The track width felt about right. The hump down the centre line is not like the original - turn the banking to the lowest setting in the editor to fix that.

The meandering start/finish straight is not possible, of course. But you've made a chicane that is extremely sharp when the main straight ends. This really spoils any chance of overtaking into the actual first turn. The undulations on this section are also too extreme. The wide run-off zone allows the chicane to be cut out. It simply shouldn't be so sharp!

Maybe forget the wiggly nature of the main straight. Keep the original right-left chicane onto it. Leave it straight for the required distance. Then add the simple left kink, with a short straight before the proper first left turn.

Really hope you try this again. Perhaps use one of the areas shaded green, so you get extra forest scenery with dense trees along the high section of road?

Interesting update. The track looks and feels completely different now that it's placed on the new terrain. I'm not sure about the first half, but from the high point on the track to the finish line, its great! It feels to me just like the old course I love.

Rating pending, partly because of the blind over the crest turns in the first part of the track. I don't remember that being so drastic in the original. I appreciate all of the work your doing on these courses!

working on update on this version for release this evening, then working on 2 rebuilds in different locations asap.

thanks for the feedback, please rate and review anything you like mate.

Solid changes and much improved! 600pp Cobra Daytona seems to gobble up the track in GT6 compared to the GT2 version.

The back section corners seem far too deep. The whole section was flat out to the hairpin if you got the line perfect. The chicane before the hairpin should be a hair-raising moment of threading the needle. A bit like the final turns in Tokyo R246.

The final 'bus stop' chicane complex is too deep at the exit, too. I get you are trying to recreate the curved exit and the feeling of a longer, winding straight. But I think it loses the more important feeling of swerving into and then out of the tight, walled area. It should feel like Monaco swimming pool complex. Even if that means a less curvy approach to the main straight.

The angles of the corners in your first section might have been distorted by the straightened start/finish section? That makes the back section too short? And the natural terrain means large sweeping bends are needed instead of the shallow bends and quick flicks of the GT2 circuit?

Try to find a replay of the Daytona Cobra from GT2 going around this track. It's twice as good as the first effort I reviewed, for sure. Having seen your success with Rome Night and Seattle I think perfect is within your reach here, too. 👍

Last edited:
BarneyA updated Grindelwald with a new update entry:

Major update

after watching a few videos I have made the following alterations.

Changed the bus stop chicane exit, so tighter and added 2nd left apex before start finish straight.

Changed the downhill back section so is much faster and less severe direction change

Slightly changed the long 2nd left corner so is more apex/crest friendly.

Slightly changed the left out of the 1st uphill hairpin so now has wider radius

As ever, open to suggestions for improvement.

View attachment 625837

Read the rest of this update entry...

Dilligent updates. Again, the back section is too tight. The final section works better but the final turn should be a single sweeping bend. You've made a hard double apex, like modern Silverstone after the two hairpins.

Here's a GT2 ace driver showing how the wide track could be optimised for long full throttle lines. The entire back section!

Here a video shows 3462 feet as track length. Your track is 3121 metres and feels good but a bit tight. So I think 3462 metres might be the correct length:

(This driver is terrible. Don't bother watching it for lines! All it shows is a low powered car like standard MGF is nowhere near fast enough to test a track this open and flowing. Faster, looser FR vehicles made it fun - mid 20th century GTs like the Cobra Daytona Coupe were perfect.)

total overhaul

After watching a few videos posted by @BenMillard (many thanks) I realised that the track maps I have managed to find online were either too low res or inaccurate to produce the desired result, so after a lot of trial and error I present version 3.0!

Please feel free to comment and give your opinions, this will help me improve further versions.

Enjoy, Like, Rate and review.

Cheers.

Link works! I have work at the start of next week. Will review towards the end of next week, most likely.

Thanks for the continued updates.

I've put some laps on it, and it's the most raceable of all your versions. If I was to critique anything, I liked the first left hand combo of the previous version, it was a triple apex that I found if I got the right line, could be taken without changing steering angle. Not sure if I'm describing it right....also, you did a good job with the final chicane ( bus stop ). Good work!

Link works! I have work at the start of next week. Will review towards the end of next week, most likely.

Thanks for the continued updates.
Thanks for the update on working link
I've put some laps on it, and it's the most raceable of all your versions. If I was to critique anything, I liked the first left hand combo of the previous version, it was a triple apex that I found if I got the right line, could be taken without changing steering angle. Not sure if I'm describing it right....also, you did a good job with the final chicane ( bus stop ). Good work!

Many thanks for feedback. I totally agree about the 1st chicane, the triple apex felt more satisfying and pretty brave when you got it right in the previous version but was very tight, I felt maybe too tight for overtakes when racing but was a really nice combo of apex's on single player. I still have that previous version and may revert back to it but thought I would 1st get some laps in and try a few overtakes through the chicane into the 1st left. Think that maybe 2 or 3 cars side by side in that section will be hillarious.

Awesome improvements again. This does capture the overall feeling now. Cars slide more in GT2 but slow down a lot and still have huge grip. In GT6 the Race Hard tyres are like GT2 Control tyre. :lol:

Back section feels too short and the middle chicane turns slightly too much. It's 2x better than any previous version. Especially the way it gently falls down the hill.

The straight before final hairpin could be 20% shorter and the straight after it a bit longer. That would let you put more straight between the sweeping bends early in the back section?

Final turn could be a little more open, maybe loosen the final half of it?

In the first section, the turn after the uphill hairpin seems too sharp. In GT2 it starts quite early and gently leads all the way to the chicane. This hairpin and chicane feel well placed on the hill. Just the linking curve between feels too sharp. Think of the long, long back section at modern Hockenheim.

This version or your next set of updates will get into my club. It's a 5 star build!

a few tweaks

The 2nd uphill left turn after the 1st hairpin has been opened.

1st right/left chicane slightly opened.

1st downhill straight at the top of the hill is slightly lengthened.

Downhill straight before the final hairpin slightly shortened.

Straight before bus stop chicane slightly lengthened,

Final left turn onto start/finish straight has been opened with a decreasing radius.

Unfortunately there is now a crest before the fast downhill corners, due to this I may revert back to an earlier...

Awesome improvements again. This does capture the overall feeling now. Cars slide more in GT2 but slow down a lot and still have huge grip. In GT6 the Race Hard tyres are like GT2 Control tyre. :lol:

Back section feels too short and the middle chicane turns slightly too much. It's 2x better than any previous version. Especially the way it gently falls down the hill.

The straight before final hairpin could be 20% shorter and the straight after it a bit longer. That would let you put more straight between the sweeping bends early in the back section?

Final turn could be a little more open, maybe loosen the final half of it?

In the first section, the turn after the uphill hairpin seems too sharp. In GT2 it starts quite early and gently leads all the way to the chicane. This hairpin and chicane feel well placed on the hill. Just the linking curve between feels too sharp. Think of the long, long back section at modern Hockenheim.

This version or your next set of updates will get into my club. It's a 5 star build!
Please see and if you would be so kind, review the new updates. Thanks again for all your input, this track has been a pain to get right but were almost there!

That BenMillard is a tough taskmaster...lol ! Haven't tried the track yet, am waiting for the final build :) Thanks to you, and everyone else who go to great lengths in producing some very fine tracks

Back